Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel buddy to australia

Options
  • 04-02-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey I plan on goin to australia in august or sept depends how d saving goes!!..Im female 26.. I was jus wonderin if anyone else was plannin on goin rnd this time.. I av woted to go for yrs suppose to go wit bf but we broke up so its now or eva!!!.. Really excited bout goin jus nervous goin on my own wud luv a travel buddy to fly ova wit!!. No plans yet so open to suggests!!.
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Loulou1000

Hi, im a female, 25 and im a heading on my own to Oz too, but im going in April. Im the same, its now or never, i've nothing keeping me here so why not, but it is scary going on my own. None of my friends want to go so just gonna do it by myself. The only thing is im hoping once i get over there it'll be hard the first few weeks but once i get myself sorted and start to get to know people it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod OP firstly welcome to Boards, and I hope we can be of assistance to you in the near future.

Though one thing to note, is that we don't allow txt speak on the forum, so in the future if you can avoid using it that would be great - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Micktown619

Hi girls, I'm male 23 and I'm heading to Perth on my own. I do have two friends in Perth who can help with setting me up over there, accomodation, job, etc. I'm planning on going in a month/ two months but have nothing booked yet.

I was just wondering how much you plan on bringing after flights and visas are paid for. I think I will only be able to get €2,000 and I'm just wondering if this is enough or are you guys bringing alot more?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Can't offer any company for you on your trip however I will let you know that I did the whole oz thing (and round the world thing on one of those suit round the world tickets) on my own, I was 23, am female and just as nervous as you are about it. It was the best decision I made, travelling on your own is great, you can do what you want to do and make your own decisions. Just stay in hostels and you will meet lots of people, I always stayed in mixed dorms too cause I found it easier to get talking to people there, sometimes female dorms were a bit cliquey I found. So anyway, if you don't find anyone to go over with don't worry at all, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Im a 25 year old male and plan on going to OZ in march/april by myself as well.

I was waiting for friends to travel with me but they keep putting it of so im going to take the plunge and just go!

No plans set in stone as of yet,but like the rest of you i am a pretty nervous about it and someone to travel with might be a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Thinking of july myself. In the same boat. A buddy would make the whole thing a lot less stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pussnboots

Hey I plan on goin to australia in august or sept depends how d saving goes!!..Im female 26.. I was jus wonderin if anyone else was plannin on goin rnd this time.. I av woted to go for yrs suppose to go wit bf but we broke up so its now or eva!!!.. Really excited bout goin jus nervous goin on my own wud luv a travel buddy to fly ova wit!!. No plans yet so open to suggests!!.
    Thanks..

Hey doll I am thinking of heading in Oct if that is any good to ya, like you except I am 28 and headin on my own with no real plans!

Hi girls, I'm male 23 and I'm heading to Perth on my own. I do have two friends in Perth who can help with setting me up over there, accomodation, job, etc. I'm planning on going in a month/ two months but have nothing booked yet.

I was just wondering how much you plan on bringing after flights and visas are paid for. I think I will only be able to get €2,000 and I'm just wondering if this is enough or are you guys bringing alot more?

Hi, well I haven't booked my flights yet but hoping to book them this week. Going to get a one way ticket (to Sydney) so think its going to cost around €650 so hoping to have around €5000 left over, after I sell my car. I think your supposed to have €3500 minimum as far as I know, but if you think you'll have a job set up fairly quickly after you get over and you've somewhere to stay I'd say you should be ok. I'm just gonna try and have as much money as possible incase I'm stuck without a job for ages. Hope that helps!

Im a 25 year old male and plan on going to OZ in march/april by myself as well.

I was waiting for friends to travel with me but they keep putting it of so im going to take the plunge and just go!

No plans set in stone as of yet,but like the rest of you i am a pretty nervous about it and someone to travel with might be a good option.

Hi, ya im really excited bout going but a bit worried bout going on my own too. Its a big decision to leave everyone here and head off on my own to the other side of the world but I don't want to end up regretting it down the line if I don't go.

I know a few people over there but alot of them are coming home soon or going travelling so they'll be gone by the time I get over there.
    Im going to go to Sydney to start with as I think its the best place for jobs for me.

I haven't booked flights yet but hoping to book them fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I agree with the idea of the mixed dorm, both for girls and fellas. I find people in them are that bit more civilised from the fellas point of view and as was said less clique from the girls point of view. Girls in groups tend to have this 'circle of trust' ( a bit like in Meet the Parents:D).
    The shared dorm is a great way for meeting people and I always found people willing to go out of their way to help you, as most people are in the same position. Yes you will get the odd strange person but that's the same everywhere and the great thing about the hostels is that you can always change rooms etc. A lot of people I know stayed in hostels for the 2/3 months as they enjoyed the craic and met loads. However, once you get into a job the hostel is not the place to be, re noise, clothes and bags everywhere and people in and out at all hours. Other than that great way to travel.

• Advertisement

Loulou1000 wrote: »
    Hi, well I haven't booked my flights yet but hoping to book them this week. Going to get a one way ticket (to Sydney) so think its going to cost around €650 so hoping to have around €5000 left over, after I sell my car. I think your supposed to have €3500 minimum as far as I know, but if you think you'll have a job set up fairly quickly after you get over and you've somewhere to stay I'd say you should be ok. I'm just gonna try and have as much money as possible incase I'm stuck without a job for ages. Hope that helps!

So €3,500 is what I should have? I could get very close to that after I sell my car. Thanks Loulou

Anybody thinking of heading aroung the second week of March?

So €3,500 is what I should have? I could get very close to that after I sell my car. Thanks Loulou

No probs Micktown :) Your lucky you have some friends to get you set up. Best of luck with the move, hope you have a great time.

Loulou1000 wrote: »
    No probs Micktown :) Your lucky you have some friends to get you set up. Best of luck with the move, hope you have a great time.

Cheers Loulou, thats the plan anyway :D Well they got their own set up and I think they already have a lodger or two so I'll have to search for my own place but at least they can point me in the right direction..

Ya €650 is good for flights.. I got a one way to Perth for €605 on Kayak.com. That includes a three day stop-over in Kuala Lumpar...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Hey just gonna butt in here with somethin you should keep an eye on. People in Ireland would say have €3500 minimum as this would get you the $5000+ when the exchange rate was good. This is not the case now, your 3500 will only get you about $4200 now. Just to keep in mind when talking about the €3500 figure.

Good luck with your travels. Im hitting Brisbane on my own next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ozbound!

Thanks..

hiya im also planning on goin in aug/sept time but ive no plans made at all yet, my mates keep changin der minds so im dreadin goin on my own but dont wana keep putin it off... im female n 24 & wud be delighted with a travel buddy too... keep me posted on ur plans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

Pussnboots wrote: »
    Hey doll I am thinking of heading in Oct if that is any good to ya, like you except I am 28 and headin on my own with no real plans!

Hey!!

yea planning to head over in oct myself, but just on a holiday visa i think.

i want to stay around for new years and then come home!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LunarEclipse83

I'm female 28, and heading to Oz in April/May, going alone but would love if anyone else out there are thinking of heading over around this time aswell??

I'm female 28, and heading to Oz in April/May, going alone but would love if anyone else out there are thinking of heading over around this time aswell??

Hi Lunar Eclipse!
    Im heading over to Oz in April on my own too. PM me if you fancy a travel buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

hey im going to perth on my own on the first of march!!!!! eeeeeeek :eek:

niva*sis wrote: »
    hey im going to perth on my own on the first of march!!!!! eeeeeeek :eek:

Goin by myself on the 20th of March.. Hearing great things about Perth from two guys I know over there.. Very excited :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 LunarEclipse83

Best of luck to ye! Are ye planning on staying in hostels or are ye going over to people ye know? Days are flying by, can't believe I will be over there in 2 months!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

female 26 heading over too on my own!! ticket not booked yet, gonna travel in asia first so will probably arrive in oz in october or so, no planned itinerary yet am excited and scared!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

22 female here thinking of heading in May or early June. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

23 year old male. Im waiting to see if my brother can get in(convictions:rolleyes:) I was thinking of going around the same time. I have my visa too which is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 new adventures86

Plug wrote: »
    23 year old male. Im waiting to see if my brother can get in(convictions:rolleyes:) I was thinking of going around the same time. I have my visa too which is a plus.
    25 year old male, also heading in May to Perth! Pm me if ye looking for a travel buddy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

25 year old male, also heading in May to Perth! Pm me if ye looking for a travel buddy :)
    PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 paulg22

well 27 year old male, i am headen for sydney the 20th april,going from shannon flight at 5.20 pm on to london,dep london 09.15pm,arr 05.05am (+2day) sydney,change of plane required,time between flight=2.30,i booked that on travelpaths web site,if any ones on that flight give us a buzz and we will meet up for the craic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 luckylass

Hi all!
    Looking for some help? Have decided I want to go to Australia or New Zealand not too fussy, but don’t want to go alone. I am girl and 23 years old anyone thinking of travelling would love to hear from you!! Would be planning September to leave but would leave before this if I can’t get a summer job as I am just finishing college.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Fiona_2012

Thanks..

Hey I'm heading to Oz on August 15th, I'm 25, female, travelling alone via London and Kuala Lumpar eventually ending up in Adelaide. I've friends living there so gonna get climatized there first before heading to Melbourne, might do my regional work before Xmas so I'm secure of mind going into the new year, making no plans to come home (i've only booked a one-way ticket).
    If anyone's heading off then on their own like me I'd be happy of the company! :)
    I'll have about €4000 going myself if I sell my car in the meantime! Hoping that's enough until I get work over there.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 twinkles300

Female 29 heading over to OZ hopefully either Sept or November.. Going solo also, stopping off in Thailand first for possibly three weeks.. Will be staying in Oz for roughly 8months and then heading NZ and then hopefully SA.. I have always wanted to do this and im not putting it off any longer..!! Anybody thinking of doing same route or even similar mail me :)

Advertisement