Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike didn't start this morning :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

Squ wrote: »
    Came upon this thread after a search as I have similar problems.. Any recommendations of a good charger and where to get it today?
    Cheers.

I've used an optimate 3+ for about four years now and its excellent. I think the newer one is the optimate 4 it does more than mine but its got great reviews. As for where to get one, it depends on where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Squ wrote: »
    Came upon this thread after a search as I have similar problems.. Any recommendations of a good charger and where to get it today?
    Cheers.
    Try Bikeworld or any other motorcycle shop near you but quick as some don't stay open all day. Get 1 with has trickle charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Zascar wrote: »
    Having some bike/battery problems and need some advice lads. When I got my 749 a few months ago I had some work done on it including a new battery. It has been perfect for many months until a while back when I left my parking light on and drained the battery completely. I jumped it but it did not work, charge did not stay. Found a battery charger and put it on overnight but the next day it was at Zero. Found out that the charger was too big for bike batteries - thought I had fried it, but I dropped it in to a bike shop, they charged it and it was fine - put it back in and it has been grand for the last 2 months.

However, the last few days when I turn on the ignition the battery meter was flashing - saying about 10.7. It would struggle and turn over sluggishly - but it would start after a few seconds. Yesterday it seemed like it was dead, but I switched it off and on again and it did start. This morning - probably because of the cold, it just could not give it what it needed to turn over. Balls.

So, I'm not sure if it's quite simply the battery is nackered and I need a new one - or if it just needs a proper charge - or if it might be something else. My commute to work is on 15 mins - might this be a reason for it slowl discharging?

So annoying - I always seem to have battery issues with cars and bikes. Anyone else have issues like this also?

Hi if you have trouble with a power source in the bike shed look at a solar panel that would be strong enough to charge in place or as other said just take battery out to give a good charge but would recomend getting new battery and start again

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I went and bought this charger in Halfords yesterday - its aparently automatic and it has a switch for "Bike" and one for "Sealed Batteries" also - so I assume it pretty good. I charged the battery last night so I'll go put it back in the bike later - I'm sure she will start I just need to keep an eye on the numbers etc - and if the voltage drops over the next few days or she's sluggish starting, I'll just get a new battery.

The one that is in there is CT12B-BS made by Unibat - I'm told the Yuasa ones are good but I'll be looking for the ones mentioned above if I do change it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Everyone who owns a bike should get one of the ten euro chargers next time Lidl have bike gear in.

I've a commute of 25 mins each way, and twin dipped headlights that can't be switched off, the battery slowly loses charge unless I give it a charge every weekend or two.

The Lidl charger can be left permanently connected to a stored bike, it won't overcharge the battery. The charger comes with crocodile clips but I have it connected to a power socket on the bike.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

T954 wrote: »
    As for where to get one, it depends on where you are.
    i'm some gobsh1te!! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

T954 wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I thought once the engine was running the alternator took over. Yes the more revs you do the more output from the alternator and then the regulator takes over. If you check the voltage at a healthy battery you will get a reading of 12v however when you start the bike you get a jump to 14v indicating that the alternator is doing some work when the bike is at tick over. Looks like I might be wrong on that :confused:

You have a good point there.

I just found a note that I made in a Haynes manual I have for an XJ 750 - it says

''the average battery voltage of c.14.5 volts is dependent on the engine rpm staying at or above 2k rpm. Below 2k rpm, the rotor isn't rotating quite fast enough, and therefore you get lower stator output.''

Obviously a quote I got from somewhere. But quite different to what I wrote above.

I must get stuck into this later on tonight, as I'm starting to have doubts now :o

Sure it's no harm to rethink these things through anyway, we're all learning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

You have a good point there.

I just found a note that I made in a Haynes manual I have for an XJ 750 - it says

''the average battery voltage of c.14.5 volts is dependent on the engine rpm staying at or above 2k rpm. Below 2k rpm, the rotor isn't rotating quite fast enough, and therefore you get lower stator output.''

Obviously a quote I got from somewhere. But quite different to what I wrote above.

I must get stuck into this later on tonight, as I'm starting to have doubts now :o

Sure it's no harm to rethink these things through anyway, we're all learning :)

No harm at all. I'll check it out myself...well for my own bike anyway and see what the story is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

ninja900 wrote: »
    I've a commute of 25 mins each way, and twin dipped headlights that can't be switched off, the battery slowly loses charge unless I give it a charge every weekend or two.

I just put a toggle switch on the fairing so I could turn off the headlamp during daylight if the battery was struggling in the winter, left the tailight alone because it was such a lower wattage it wasn't as bad a drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ninja900 wrote: »
    Everyone who owns a bike should get one of the ten euro chargers next time Lidl have bike gear in.

The Lidl charger can be left permanently connected to a stored bike, it won't overcharge the battery. The charger comes with crocodile clips but I have it connected to a power socket on the bike.

WTF? There is no way a 25 minute ride both ways should drain the battery in any way unless there is something seriously wrong with the bike. A push bike could power two dipped lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

55 watts each - you wouldn't power that with a pushbike
    Plus an alarm/immobilizer on the bike
    Plus heated grips in the winter.
    It's not 25 minutes of steady running, it's stop-start. Some mornings 10 minutes of that is spent waiting at red lights. If there's any kind of slope, then I have to cover the brake, that's 2x21 watts as well.
    Motor is a 955 triple and it's happiest cruising between 2-3000 rpm, totally different riding style to my old 'rev the nuts off it' CBR6 :) You can happily rev the nuts off the Triumph, but only in very short bursts, unless you've no fear of losing your licence...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads my mate who knows everything there is to know about electrics etc recommends these chargers by CTEK: http://www.ctek.nu/gb/en/chargers/12v

They do everything including recovering damaged batteries.

I'm going to get this one I think: http://www.ctek.nu/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0
    Amazon Reviews: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004ZWV1JI

Video:

Lads she was sluggish starting this morning so I think you were right an the battery is nackered. Need to get a new one now. The Model is YT12B-BS - I'm told Yuasa is a good replacement but I just want to get the best one I can.

Where in (south) dublin can I go to get one? I could order one oneline and get it delivered for a decent price, will save me the hassle - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GENUINE-YUASA-YT12B-BS-MOTORBIKE-QUAD-JETSKI-BATTERY-/130494954517?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e621afc15#ht_1658wt_905 however it might take a while for delivery.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I've PM'd you Matt's number.

They have a couple of places around but I got my one from here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.321284,-6.362884&num=1&t=m&z=19

The place is at the end of beech road, it's a truck parts place.

Edit: Just priced the battery from a thread in Biker and last September it was priced at €45.

I have been calling Ducati Dublin every day for the last few days, sending emails and leaving voicemails - not a things back from them. Really annoys me - If I did not call my customers back asap in work I'd get a whipping. I don't understand how people can run a business when they do not respond to sales enquires.

Anyway I called Moto Technic in Kimmage and spoke to a really nice guy called Robbie who was very helpful and he's getting me a Yuasa which is the only battery he recommends for these bikes. I've heard lots of good things about these guys so I'll definitely be using them again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Zascar wrote: »
    I have been calling Ducati Dublin every day for the last few days, sending emails and leaving voicemails - not a things back from them. Really annoys me - If I did not call my customers back asap in work I'd get a whipping. I don't understand how people can run a business when they do not respond to sales enquires.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76959704&postcount=46

I don't think they are in business any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76959704&postcount=46

I don't think they are in business any more.

Jaysis, wonder if there'll be any cheap Ducatis, Aprilias, Alfas, Fiats or Maseratis going! :D

Advertisement