Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New arrivals and returning emigrants denied insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I am in Bulgaria.

I emigrated due to general unhappiness with Ireland. A country with no future and no prospects. I was fed up of the monkeys that were running the show. I have been proved right there.

+1
    The former government where a bunch of thieves, liars, conmen, chancers, shysters, knackers, idiots, misfits and of course Bertie, who was worse than that.
    Hard to say what the current government is like, they are to busy kowtowing to Europe and doing their bidding.
    The former handed Ireland to Europe on a plate (IMO traitors and should be executed), the latter is carving it up into nice pieces.
    This country is ruined for AT LEAST 20 years and after that it might be back where it was in 1999.
    And the country is in that state because of the people who inhabit it and constantly bleat "Don't question, don't rock the boat, don't stick your head up, keep quiet and maybe he won't see us".
    It is the general attitude, praise be unto our glorious leaders!
    And never, ever question the "experts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Try and keep this on topic. People don't come to a motoring forum to read political rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I am in Bulgaria.

I emigrated due to general unhappiness with Ireland. A country with no future and no prospects. I was fed up of the monkeys that were running the show. I have been proved right there.

How do you feel about being denied insurance when you return after 2 years away?? 123.ie will refuse to insure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MadsL wrote: »
    How do you feel about being denied insurance when you return after 2 years away?? 123.ie will refuse to insure you.

By the sounds of it he won't be coming back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I have to say that I've never encountered a major problem. I moved to the US in 06 and learned to drive over there. I moved back to Ireland in 08 bought a car and have been driving around on a US license ever since. I can't swap my licence so I've stuck with the US one (legally I'm still resident in the US so can do so). The cr*p thing is the cost of the premiums a couple of companies quoted me through the roof. What I'd do is put in for a quote online with a few companies giving them your phone number (Chill, Zurich, AA, FBD were good for this) and they rang back. When you've someone who's semi-cold calling you they're more likely to want to seal a sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

seanmacc wrote: »
    I have to say that I've never encountered a major problem. I moved to the US in 06 and learned to drive over there. I moved back to Ireland in 08 bought a car and have been driving around on a US license ever since. I can't swap my licence so I've stuck with the US one (legally I'm still resident in the US so can do so). The cr*p thing is the cost of the premiums a couple of companies quoted me through the roof. What I'd do is put in for a quote online with a few companies giving them your phone number (Chill, Zurich, AA, FBD were good for this) and they rang back. When you've someone who's semi-cold calling you they're more likely to want to seal a sale

How much time do you spend in Ireland per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Just because the car has a small engine, it doesn't mean it should be cheap to insure. The engine of a 700cc could easily be turbo-charged, or the weight of the car could be so low that the car is quite nippy. Not only that, but also, considering that small engined cars are likely to be city cars, they might be more prone to be in accidents or get stolen? Finally, maybe because the car is smaller, maybe the risk of damage/injury is much higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

we moved back in 2009 after 5 years away, it was a bit of hassle but we got insured by getting our agent in America to send a letter and proof of no claims to the agent here. Even without that they were willing to insure us, we just wouldn't have gotten the full no claims bonus. Can your friend get his previous insurance company to give proof of previous insurance?

Marcusm wrote: »
    How much time do you spend in Ireland per year?

Usually no less than 6-9 months (usually broken up). My current insurer never had a problem with the US license thing until this year, when explaining my case to them they were happy no renew without documented evidence (I did offer). I even had a snow damage claim last year and they didn't try weasel out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I even had a snow damage claim last year and they didn't try weasel out of it.

Excuse me for asking, but what is a "snow damage claim" ?

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Excuse me for asking, but what is a "snow damage claim" ?

When you banjax your car because Fingal Co. Co. won't bother gritting roads or removing the debris of cars that have crashed because of ungritted roads and you claim off insurance to repair the damage because of council negligence. Very popular the past 2 years them sorts of claims :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

When you banjax your car because Fingal Co. Co. won't bother gritting roads or removing the debris of cars that have crashed because of ungritted roads and you claim off insurance to repair the damage because of council negligence. Very popular the past 2 years them sorts of claims :)

Thanks for answering.
    I call it a drivers negligence who can't drive on snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Usually no less than 6-9 months (usually broken up). My current insurer never had a problem with the US license thing until this year, when explaining my case to them they were happy no renew without documented evidence (I did offer). I even had a snow damage claim last year and they didn't try weasel out of it.

You might want to look into sitting an Irish driving test. If you usually spend more than 185 days a year in Ireland, you can only spend 12 months driving on your foreign licence. It would not matter if you were only in Ireland 4 days each week and returned to the US each weekend. On the face of what you have said, you have been driving unlicenced for 3 years plus the insurance company would likely be able to recover any claims for you. In addition, there is a further offence of making false declarations to obtain insurance; ignorance may or may not be a defence. I expect it's a strict liability offence such that a lack of knowledge would not clear the offence.

Probably best to regularise the position as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Returned here in 2005 after being abroad for 17 years, got insured no problems, don't remember there being any issue that I had just returned. I did have a ncb letter though.

bodonnell wrote: »
    Returned here in 2005 after being abroad for 17 years, got insured no problems, don't remember there being any issue that I had just returned. I did have a ncb letter though.

Out of interest were you asked "Where were you born?" at that time, the question has now shifted to "How long have you been living in Ireland?"

Neither of which I can see has any relevance at all to driving once you hold a certificate of competence to drive in Ireland (an Irish Driving Licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'd suspect that there may be fraud indicators for persons from certain.countries and they wont admit this openly, theyll just try insure less of these people.

But the most probable reason could be that they heard he has a full licence since 93 and is only 33. Might wanna address that one before you try the next insurance company!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Keith186 wrote: »
    I'd suspect that there may be fraud indicators for persons from certain.countries and they wont admit this openly, theyll just try insure less of these people.

But the most probable reason could be that they heard he has a full licence since 93 and is only 33. Might wanna address that one before you try the next insurance company!

rotfl. Missed that :D.

Or you could just accept that I'm and old fart and believe that people born in 1994 can't possibly be 18, 8 surely.

Believe I meant to type 1999 earlier, but sh1t you can drive at 15 where I am now!

Or you could just accept that I'm and old fart and believe that people born in 1994 can't possibly be 18, 8 surely.

Believe I meant to type 1999 earlier, but sh1t you can drive at 15 where I am now!

Do you think they should be allowed to ask? How relevant is the question about where you were born/how long in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

MadsL wrote: »
    Out of interest were you asked "Where were you born?" at that time, the question has now shifted to "How long have you been living in Ireland?"

Neither of which I can see has any relevance at all to driving once you hold a certificate of competence to drive in Ireland (an Irish Driving Licence)

Possibly was asked place of birth, memory a bit vague but definitely would've remembered if I got grief from anyone.

• Advertisement

bodonnell wrote: »
    Possibly was asked place of birth, memory a bit vague but definitely would've remembered if I got grief from anyone.

I'm actually fairly astonished that there isn't more of a fuss about insurance companies cherry-picking like this. Can anyone think of a rational reason why a returning emigrant would be refused insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

I found funny in Ireland, when trying insure own second car, insurance policy on second car starts with 0 NCB ....

Good time ago i had to make decision.... Today drive skyline with full NCB ? Or no, drive punto with no NCB !!! aka on second car i've lost all my driving experience .... and drive like eejit...

grrrr....

we are lucky , we no need second driver license for second car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

123.ie won't insure you if you tell them you have a BG driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I renewed my insurance with Quinn Direct 2 weeks ago and was asked have i lived in Ireland all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭alanmc

Mar4ix wrote: »
    I found funny in Ireland, when trying insure own second car, insurance policy on second car starts with 0 NCB ....

Good time ago i had to make decision.... Today drive skyline with full NCB ? Or no, drive punto with no NCB !!! aka on second car i've lost all my driving experience .... and drive like eejit...

grrrr....

we are lucky , we no need second driver license for second car

I was stung by this as well. Apparently, I'm much less of a risk when I'm driving my Nissan 350Z than when I'm driving my ball-o-crap (industry standard term) Peugeot 407 1.6 HDi. Half the risk in fact!!!! I wanted to have an argument about it when I was getting quotes, but it wasn't the agents fault. I'd love to get an insurance company's CEO out for a few pints followed by a heated debate.

I was also living abroad for a number of years and returned in 2008 with my LHD car. Axa wouldn't touch me with a rather large pole, but I got insurance pretty easily with Quinn. I honestly didn't find it that hard. I was 30 when I returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Only once have I been asked how long I've been in Ireland. That was was Tesco a couple of years ago. Think the criteria was that you had to be living here at least 3 years before you're considered for insurance.

Other than that. I did have a problem finding insurance to cover me for the UK as well as here, as I was bringing my car over. The only people who would insure me was Quinn. Even that wasn't without problems, but that's another story.

Only thing the insurance has asked me for other than proof of NCB, was a copy of my (UK) licence.

Advertisement