Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardman 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mr Tango swam a 53 in Roth, clubmate of his (and mine) doing hardman, would expect him to swim 55 (and back it up with the bike and run too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

tunney wrote: »
    Mr Tango swam a 53 in Roth, clubmate of his (and mine) doing hardman, would expect him to swim 55 (and back it up with the bike and run too!)

The defending champ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

griffin100 wrote: »
    tunney wrote: »

The defending champ?

Yip, was running with him at lunch, accidentally bumped into him, looking lean and running well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

longshank wrote: »
    true- but the pros might be thinking ahead to a nice cycle and run as will every non relay competitior- not exactly comparing like with like!!

Exactly. You cannot compare like for like. I'm just doing the swim, go hard and come out wrecked. I probably wouldn't be able to cycle more than 20km after!

If you wanted to compare just the swim, international 5km swimmers would do the 3.8km in around 43mins. They do 5km in around the 58min mark. Now thats fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

okane1 wrote: »
    Exactly. You cannot compare like for like. I'm just doing the swim, go hard and come out wrecked. I probably wouldn't be able to cycle more than 20km after!

If you wanted to compare just the swim, international 5km swimmers would do the 3.8km in around 43mins. They do 5km in around the 58min mark. Now thats fast.

triathlon has to be seen as one sport and a bit pointless comparing individual sports or with relays. I doubt 5km international swimmers spend their training time doing 6hr bike rides and 3 hr runs. Relays runners passing you at the end of a tri really bugs me :mad: so maybe i'm a bit biased!!!

• Advertisement

longshank wrote: »
    triathlon has to be seen as one sport and a bit pointless comparing individual sports or with relays. I doubt 5km international swimmers spend their training time doing 6hr bike rides and 3 hr runs. Relays runners passing you at the end of a tri really bugs me :mad: so maybe i'm a bit biased!!!

That was the thought behind my post, you cannot and should not compare individual sports with relays. I do a few triathlons and myself and the pace I would swim at during a triathlon would be slower if I was just doing the swim leg.

I wanted to do the Hardman as living in Killarney, it's a local event for me and I want to support it. I am not in a position to complete the full course so I'm doing the next best thing.
    Who knows, maybe next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

did the cycle part yesterday..it cud have been the brutal rain and wind but it seemed harder than the anticlockwise route...there's a bridge near the end think its caragh bridge..where there is a right of way for cars on the bridge..anyone know will there be a marshall there? also anyone got an elevation of the run route although i reckon it is flat enough

squelch666 wrote: »
    did the cycle part yesterday..it cud have been the brutal rain and wind but it seemed harder than the anticlockwise route...there's a bridge near the end think its caragh bridge..where there is a right of way for cars on the bridge..anyone know will there be a marshall there? also anyone got an elevation of the run route although i reckon it is flat enough

This is my Garmin profile from last year which suggests that the run has more climbing than the Connemara Marathon. However the route has been changed for this year and the big hill at the end of each lap has to be tackled 4 times rather than 3 like last year. Flat may not be a good description :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

squelch666 wrote: »

This is my Garmin profile from last year which suggests that the run has more climbing than the Connemara Marathon. However the route has been changed for this year and the big hill at the end of each lap has to be tackled 4 times rather than 3 like last year. Flat may not be a good description :D
    I signed up for a flat run - they better get the rollers out!
    lets hope this warm weather passes too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

pc11 wrote: »
    Wow, 50 mins for Ironman swim would be top class! Not that many pros get under 50 on the circuit.

50 mins, I hope to be finished my first lap of the swim by then :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

50 mins, I hope to be finished my first lap of the swim by then :D:o

Ditto!

Has anyone got any emails or post mail from the organisers in the past few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

no haven't got any email. from organisers recently :(:confused:

Haven't got any e-mails recently but there has been some posts on their FB page re. numbers competing.

IIRC we didn't have any e-mails from the organisers last year either until a few days beforehand. If you have any questions give them a call or a mail, they are always very quick to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

may be a bit late to ask this, anyone know a decent self catering for the weekend?

BennyMul wrote: »
    may be a bit late to ask this, anyone know a decent self catering for the weekend?

I wouldnt say it is too late. I've booked with the following before and had no problems
    http://www.dreamireland.com/
    http://www.imagineireland.com/
    (note: I dont have any other connection with either company)

Transition 2 and the finish line are in the car-park of the Castlerosse hotel. There also are holiday homes within 100 yards of the finish in the hotel grounds. Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hardmantri

Hey guys, Alan here again from the Hardman. At this stage all competitors should have recived information regarding registration etc via e-mail. We have 63 individuals entered and confirmed for the race as well as 10 teams. Still not a huge number but as you know by now we would prefer to get everything right before we go chasing big numbers. However 63 is enough to make it an interesting race and the relay teams in particular are very competitive. Conditions on the run course are a bit damp at the moment but a couple of dry days will clear that up. I'm confident that the weather will be good for racing also on the day.
    Entries are still open for the olympic distance on the same day. Anybody interested in this should enter before Sunday on www.hardman.ie Again, the swim is in the same area in the lake, the cycle is a very flat out and back to Killorglin and the run is one lap of the National Park. Entry is 50 euros for individuals and 90 euros for teams.
    Looking forward to seeing you all on the 24th for registration. As always if you have any questions give me a call on 087 6259892.

Anyone else started the hourly check of the long range weather forecast for next week :rolleyes:

Yeah, hopefully the weather will pick-up.

It wasnt clear to me so I sent an email to Alan and he confirmed that the bike needed to be at registration on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hardmantri

Hey guys, there seems to be some confusion re the bike. The bike only needs to be at registration on friday for security reasons. There we will make note of make, colour etc so that there is no mix up on collection after the race. After checking it you will take it away again and return it at the race start on saturday morning. Alan, 087 6259892

Weather not looking great for Saturday - but prefer that to it being warm to be honest... Fits in better with what I've trained in...

• Advertisement

Forecast looking alright. Some showers expected but it could be windy.

Theres some additional info on the web-site.

The 5 day Met Eireann forecast not looking great. it's gonna be a wet and possibly windy one ;)

mh_cork wrote: »
    Theres some additional info on the web-site.

Looking at the briefing posted it seems that we are doing an ultra marathon as part of the race - 27.8 miles :D

Is there live tracking for this, the race timing webpage has a 'live results' section?

Looking at the briefing posted it seems that we are doing an ultra marathon as part of the race - 27.8 miles :D

Is there live tracking for this, the race timing webpage has a 'live results' section?

Was just logging on to ask the same question

I got this off foreca.com just now, looks like there is a chance of rain for Saturday :eek::eek::eek:

Saturday August 25

01:00

+14°

w315.gif3 m/s

Overcast and light rain
    Precip chance: 81%
    Humidity: 97%

04:00

+14°

w315.gif6 m/s

Overcast and showers
    Precip chance: 79%
    Humidity: 98%

07:00

+14°

w315.gif6 m/s

Overcast and rain
    Precip chance: 83%
    Humidity: 96%

10:00

+13°

w315.gif6 m/s

Overcast and showers
    Precip chance: 87%
    Humidity: 95%

13:00

+15°

w315.gif6 m/s

Partly cloudy and showers
    Precip chance: 98%
    Humidity: 93%

16:00

+15°

w315.gif5 m/s

Overcast and rain
    Precip chance: 96%
    Humidity: 94%

19:00

+14°

w315.gif5 m/s

Partly cloudy and showers
    Precip chance: 81%
    Humidity: 91%

22:00

+13°

w315.gif3 m/s

Partly cloudy and light rain
    Precip chance: 47%
    Humidity: 94%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Best of luck to all this weekend. Will be thinking of ye! Enjoy.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yup, best of luck to all.

Good day yesterday. Just did the swim, was 4mins shy of my target time, did 54.21. Saw a good bit of the run, weather was nice in the evening. Lake was pretty much flat during the swim, bit of wind blowing up the course but nothing too crazy.

Let me preference this by saying it was my first time to go long, so not sure how more experience IM found this, especially those who had experienced branded events, and all that they bring.

I'd a great day out there. The course is spectacular - the swim location was pretty sheltered, the lake was fantastic with the mountains as a backdrop.

The scenery along famous cycle (done backwards) -especially the first 90km or so (the less said about the headwind for the next 60km the better).

The fact that the run is in the national park was also a huge plus - great tracks, no motorised traffic to content with, and challenging with the 2 hills at the 5km and 10km marks amid the beauty of the national park really sets this off as something special.

The organization needs a little tweaking, but I guess the same could be said about other events too. I'll be sure to follow up with Alan to provide my feedback, based on my limited knowledge.

Hope everyone else enjoyed themselves out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Finished the hardman last saturday and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. This was my first triathlon of any distance so I picked a tough one to start, but I was happy with a time of 13:32. I would definitely recommend this event to anybody, great location, great organisation, cheap and friendly.

Advertisement