Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardman 2012

Options
  • 02-11-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys, Alan here from Hardman events. Now that you've all read the excellent reviews of our race in 2011 I want to let you know that entries are now open for 2012 on www.hardman.ie. The race will take place on the 25th of august at 6.15am at the same location. We are still offering great value for money with entries at 160 euros for individuals and 260 for relay teams of 2 or 3. these prices will rise to 200 and 300 euros respectively on the 1st of January 2012. Also for next year we will be holding an Olympic distance race on the same day in the same location beginning at 8.45am. This race will cost approxiamtely 40 euros to enter. Due to the great reviews of the first race, which I'm sure you've all read, there has been huge interest in next year's event. The couple of minor glitches have already been sorted out and we look forward to holding an even better event with larger numbers in 2012. As always if you have any questions feel free to contact me on info@hardman.ie or on 087 6259892. See you in August, Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Hi All who may be planning to take part in this event this year.

Following the Don Fink 30 week program, it calls for a Half Distance training race on week 22. There does not seem to be anything scheduled in Ireland / UK for around the first week in July so I suppose we will have to do our own.

Just putting this out there, if anyone else is interested, then perhaps anyone who plans on entering may be interested in arranging our own training 70.3. More a training run than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

I've signed up for Hardman this year and also following one of the Don Fink plans. But I'll follow it rather loosely for a number of reasons. One is that I already have a number of other cycling events on during the year.

Second, I think that 18 weeks is a long time to train without having an intermediate goal.

Third (and most important for me) is that these programs are generic in nature and dont take into account your history, strengths and weaknesses. Rather than following it by the letter, ask what you need to improve on and whats ok.

For me, swimming is the main issue. I'm rubbish. So I've 2 ideas to counter this. First, going to try and fit an extra swim in during the week, even if I have to drop a cycle or a run. Second, I'm going to race earlier to get confidence in swimming. So even though Fink says an do an Oly on week 18 and HIM on week 22, I'm doing the Oly (Joey) on week 13 and HIM (Athy) on week 18.

The only cavet I would say to this is if running is your limiter, dont go off and arrange a marathon between now and Hardman. Bad idea on so many levels.

Best of luck in the training - I see that you have a training log on boards! I'll check in on you now and again. And with any luck, I might bump into you before Killarney!

Calling all would-be Hardman!

Anyone else here signed up (or even vaguely interested) in this Ironman distance race in Killarney in Aug?

@ mh_cork

I understand the generic nature of the Fink (and other) programs and will tailor it a little to suit my life circumstances. However if I dont have a somewhat strict plan to follow I am quite sure that I could go off the rails.

Like you, my swimming is a disaster, went to the pool for my first hour swim session of week 1, this was meant to be an hour. I was barely half way throuh the session when my hour was up. I did get a good solid swim in though and did circa 1k in a congested pool. I was happy with that.

I may take on the sprint at Joey too and have entered the Oly at Athy since before Xmas. I will most likely do a Half distance myself with the aid of a few friends around week 22. I will give you a shout in advance of Joey sure.

Happy Training. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

mh_cork wrote: »
    Calling all would-be Hardman!

Anyone else here signed up (or even vaguely interested) in this Ironman distance race in Killarney in Aug?
    I did this last year was my first long distance after 12yrs competetive tri [age group] have done kilkee 11yrs in a row , and put this race along side as the best course I've ever raced in my opinion . Will probably do it again this year , as bieng my first im distance it felt like my first ever tri in terms of new experiences .. this isn't a plug for the race but it realy was very good !!!

• Advertisement

I'm really looking forward to this. The location is stunning. I dont think you can get a more scenic 180k cycle. I am staying in Kenmare for a week in May, so I'll get the chance to do ROK cycle a couple of times beforehand.
    I think its great to see an event like this and hats off to the organisers for taking a punt on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

The bike route is great with some fantastic scenery and some great descents especially after Waterville and from the top of Molls Gap, although getting up Molls Gap after 150km in the saddle hurts a little bit :)

Biggest downside to the bike route is the state of the roads in some parts. Killarney to Kilorglin is dire.......and as for the road into Sneem.........

I did the ROK cycle in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Tis nice that it is part of the Hardman, kinda makes it feel a bit more doable.

Biggest downside to the bike route is the state of the roads in some parts. Killarney to Kilorglin is dire.......and as for the road into Sneem.........[/QUOTE]

Was thinking about the old leather Brooks saddle of me grandads high nellie for those parts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 p_duggan71

Hi, i signed up for HardMan in Jan 2012, did the galway 1/2 IM last year and realy enjoyed it, doing athy double oly as part of prep. For Hardman my plan is simple, just to stay away from injuries in the summer and not over cook the traning. I'm in the 40's so slow and steady to the end.

I'm a runner first then swim then bike, what was the run course like last year, i wont get a chance to have a look at it until the day, will it be idiot proof and well marked?

Thanks

• Advertisement

p_duggan71 wrote: »
    Hi, i signed up for HardMan in Jan 2012, did the galway 1/2 IM last year and realy enjoyed it, doing athy double oly as part of prep. For Hardman my plan is simple, just to stay away from injuries in the summer and not over cook the traning. I'm in the 40's so slow and steady to the end.

I'm a runner first then swim then bike, what was the run course like last year, i wont get a chance to have a look at it until the day, will it be idiot proof and well marked?

Thanks

As far as I know this years run route is going to be different to the 2011 run route. Last year there were a couple of issues with signage and marshals in the early stages of the run (I went the wrong way on the first lap) but they were sorted pretty quickly and I think they've taken that on board for this year.

The run was in the national park last year, so I presume it will be the same this year (even if the route is different).

The site has not been updated with details of the marathon for 2012 yet, but interestingly, there is a route for a marathon that the organisers are running in May.
    http://killarneymarathonofthelakes.com/?page_id=55

I can see the IM being different, probably a looped course again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hardmantri

Hey guys,
    In answer to your question the marathon will be held again in the national Park. The only difference being that this year it will be a 4 lap course not 3 like last year. This will mean that runners will not meet each other on the riverside path which was a bit narrow last year. Also it means that at no stage will anyone be running against any oncoming jaunting cars. The upside to the change in route is that you will now get to run up Knockreer hill 4 times instead of 3, something which I am sure everyone will be happy about.
    For any of you looking to run around Killarney in advance we are holding both a full and a half marathon in on May the 12th. Most of the Hardman run lap will be covered in both races. www.killarneymarathonofthelakes.com
    If you have any more questions give me a call,
    Alan Ryan
    087 6259892

According to the web-site, the cycle will run in the opposite direction this year. This takes out a dangerous descent at the end of the cycle and having to negotiate traffic on the road coming into Killarney.

Advantages of the change
    - Going through Killarney town early morning rather than afternoon - less traffic.
    - Moves 1 of the 2 major climbs from the end of cycle to the start
    - Descent of Molls Gap into Kenmare is much safer than the descent into Killarney.

Disadvantages of the change
    - Cannot use ROK cycle as a test, as Hardman route is going in opposite direction.

IMHO, a good move. I would think that on a Sat evening in Aug, the Muckross Road would be built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ianh2

This may be a stupid question, but I am going to kenmare in a few weeks and would like to cycle the route. Which way do I go?

ianh2 wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question, but I am going to kenmare in a few weeks and would like to cycle the route. Which way do I go?

Kenmare - Sneem - Waterville - Caherciveen - Kilorglan - Killarney - Molls Gap - Kenmare

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/110764795

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

not using the ROK as a test is a bummer - do you think they would mind anyone cycling the "other" way around in the ROK????:D
    Timing was pretty good otherwise...

May need to rethink my ROK attendance...

SucCes09 wrote: »
    not using the ROK as a test is a bummer - do you think they would mind anyone cycling the "other" way around in the ROK????:D
    Timing was pretty good otherwise...

May need to rethink my ROK attendance...

All things considered, its a good move. I have cycled through Killarney a few Saturday afternoons in summer during the TdeM cycle. Traffic on the Muckross Road was always backed up over half a mile.

Also takes out the dangerous descent from Molls Gap to Killarney. I was hesitating about whether to use road bike v tri bike, now I'm definitely leaning towards tri bike. I'm in Kenmare for a week in May, so I'll be able to test both bikes on the route.

I didn't think the descent off Molls Gap was bad, a bit technical but ok, certainly no worse than coming off Mt Leinster. Hitting Killarney on a Saturday afternoon was a different story, the traffic was mental. I think reversing the route is a good idea.

ianh2 wrote: »

no such thing as a Stupid question in my opinion!

When the inital change of cycle route was announced I was a bit peeved to be honest as I had done the ROK and thought it was a great cycle. however, after thinking about it, the decision to reverse the route is the correct idea and has the safety of the competitor at priority so hats off to the organisers for listening to Hugh on that.

At the end of the day, clockwise or anti clockwise cycle, it still has to be conquered to earn the badge of Hardman. Bring it on :D

• Advertisement

mh_cork wrote: »
    All things considered, its a good move. I have cycled through Killarney a few Saturday afternoons in summer during the TdeM cycle. Traffic on the Muckross Road was always backed up over half a mile.

Also takes out the dangerous descent from Molls Gap to Killarney. I was hesitating about whether to use road bike v tri bike, now I'm definitely leaning towards tri bike. I'm in Kenmare for a week in May, so I'll be able to test both bikes on the route.

Well did you get to take in the route as you had planned? Did you do both directions?

This reply might seem a bit overkill, its as much as a record for myself as anything. :-)

Spent the week down here and brought a TT and a road bike. Covered route from Killarney to top of Coomakista on TT bike (not in a single day), which covers about half the route and the 2 major climbs. To compare both bikes, I did Sneem to top of Coomakista on both bikes but there were road-works coming out of Sneem where I was held up both days. But from the top of the hill out of Sneem to top of Coomakista (20k) TT bike was over 1.5kph faster.

I've broken down parts of the route that I did on the TT bike

Torc Waterfall-Kenmare 25k@27.5kph
    Forgot to reset GPS in Killarney, so dont have data for a few km here. Molls Gap climb is a climb of 2 halves. First bit is 4.3k@4.7%, then 3k which is slightly downhill, then another 2k@4%. The descent into Kenmare is 9k. Its quick and not especially technical after the first few bends. Molls Gap is far harder than the other climb (Coomakista)

Kenmare-Sneem: 26k@28.5kph
    I dont like this road, surface isnt great and its undulating. It improves about half way (after the bridge), where the road and the views improve.

Sneem-Caherdaniel 21k@27.5kph
    Outside Sneem theres a 4-5k climb @ 2.4%. They were resurfacing it when I did it but I'd be shocked if they didnt have it completely done for the RoK cycle in July. I'd push it here a bit, the next 15k is a fast, flat section with a good surface.

Coomakista 7k@23kph
    This climb is long rather than steep. Overall, its only 3%, surface is very good. It should not matter if its a road or a TT bike here as longs as you can climb! I was quicker on TT bike here, but was probably pushing a little harder.

Descent into Waterville (on road bike). 7k@43kph
    I didnt do this on TT bike but I'm including it here because its a fast descent on a bumpy surface. On Hardman and a TT bike, I'll be taking it easier here.

Ok, hope I havent bored anybody! For me its TT bike all the way. But I've trained during the winter, so I'm comfortable on the bars. If you have any questions, just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

thanks, good reading, I will have to head down myself before Hardman for do a lap.

Killarney to Waterville (100k) is the key section. It probably will have a prevailing wind because its coastal and runs SW. It also contains the major climbing / descending.

If I was going down again, I'd do more of this section and ignore the remaining 80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

I was down a few weeks ago, and went from Killarney to Sneem and looped the road back into Killarney- now I can see why the route was changed...
    I was actually staying in the Castle Ross "resort", so got a good concept of the route to Sneem.
    Tough start to the cycle, but glad to hear that Coomakista is slightly "easier" then Molls Gap. It's about 26km to the top of Molls Gap from the castle ross, and the climbing starts at around the 18km point.

Would have liked to get a run in, but hope to get down again before August to try at least 1 lap before D-Day...

I finally got around to entering this today, which is the last day for entries.

How many others here are actually doing this?

According to the FB page, they had 70 sign-ups on July 3 and were expecting about 100 in total for the Iron distance. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

I'm doing the swim as part of a local relay. Did the swim last year in 58mins, plan this year is to be closer to the 50min mark. Weather pending!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

okane1 wrote: »
    I'm doing the swim as part of a local relay. Did the swim last year in 58mins, plan this year is to be closer to the 50min mark. Weather pending!

Wow, 50 mins for Ironman swim would be top class! Not that many pros get under 50 on the circuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

pc11 wrote: »
    Wow, 50 mins for Ironman swim would be top class! Not that many pros get under 50 on the circuit.

true- but the pros might be thinking ahead to a nice cycle and run as will every non relay competitior- not exactly comparing like with like!!

Advertisement