Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist awarded €15,000 after thumb almost broken by road-rage bus driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

foggy_lad wrote: »
    ...Rather than risk life and limb by pulling into the main traffic lane at possibly the busiest junction in the City he decided to mount the footpath which is several feet in width but the bus driver began shouting at him!

Sorry but thats not correct. Its not a risk to life and limb, its how to cycle on a road. Many buses stop along here, theres bus stops there. So if you want to get past them, or If you simply want to turn right on to O'Connell Bridge, you need to get into the other lanes. If a cyclist is unable to do that he shouldn't be cycling on the road (or pavement) at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I cycle and drive, but what Burns did was not responsible and it was dangerous. I am not getting out of the way of any cyclist when I am on the footpath.
    its time cyclist were made obey the rules of the road.

Agreed, what he did was not responsible, but it does not changed anything else, he was assaulted and that is the worst wrong here.

If I was to use reasonable force to stop a cyclist on the footpath from hitting me, that would be a different story. The driver started shouting, assaulted the cyclist once, interfered with is property, and then assaulted him a second time more seriously -- that's aggression after the cyclist has passed.

Burns works with kids. he should behave in a responsible manner whether he is in the childrens hospital or outside. what if he ran down a child on the footpath?

So should everybody who works with children and who gets caught speeding or parking on a footpath etc lose their job even if they were not working at the time?

As much as I dislike cyclists and motorist driving up on footpaths, I think that would be an extrema and blur the line between work and personal life too much.

I have been run down by cyclists while walking on the footpath. that colours my opinion. people like burns believe their ****e smells better than anyone elses and they believe they have a right to things like cycle on paths. they also believe pedestrians should get out of their way.

I agree that they have no right to be on the footpath, it's wrong and they should not be there -- I have challenged more than a few cyclists for cycling on the footpath.

someone takes a picture of me without asking, you never know how they are going to use it, and I would snatch their phone and delete the image.

You would be committing assault and criminal damage.

You would be very much so in the wrong and could end up on front of a judge.

BostonB wrote: »
    Sorry but thats not correct. Its not a risk to life and limb, its how to cycle on a road. Many buses stop along here, theres bus stops there. So if you want to get past them, or If you simply want to turn right on to O'Connell Bridge, you need to get into the other lanes. If a cyclist is unable to do that he shouldn't be cycling on the road (or pavement) at all.

Exactly, or just walk your bike on the footpath if you feel the need or the road is blocked etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

This just shows how great this country is its all about what I can get and what I am entitled to. There is to many cases of people claiming for something they probably started off themselves. CYCLISTS just need to cop on and put lights on their bike and open their eyes and watch where they are going. THE FOOTHPATH is called that for a reason its for feet not wheels. I understand our roads are dangerous and honestly these paint lines on the road they call cycle lanes are in most cases not wide enough, in very dangerous places and look the roads are just not wide enough. Most roads were only ever ment to take a horse and cart not everthing we have on it now. There has been many cases where I have been walking and had many near misses with cyclists and have been hit twice but they just laughed and kept going. I drive and cycle and the amount of times I have nearly flatened cyclists because they won't obey traffic signals or just common sense rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

This just shows how great this country is its all about what I can get and what I am entitled to. There is to many cases of people claiming for something they probably started off themselves. CYCLISTS just need to cop on and put lights on their bike and open their eyes and watch where they are going. THE FOOTHPATH is called that for a reason its for feet not wheels. I understand our roads are dangerous and honestly these paint lines on the road they call cycle lanes are in most cases not wide enough, in very dangerous places and look the roads are just not wide enough. Most roads were only ever ment to take a horse and cart not everthing we have on it now. There has been many cases where I have been walking and had many near misses with cyclists and have been hit twice but they just laughed and kept going. I drive and cycle and the amount of times I have nearly flatened cyclists because they won't obey traffic signals or just common sense rules of the road.

I encountered a cyclist on a slip road off the dual carriageway cycling on the wrong side of the road. I had to drive with extreme cation as was unsure what they would do next, but its okay because they were wearing a helmet.

in Dublin you have cycle lanes painted on the road and its hard to know what to do when you are cycling on one in busy traffic and another cyclist cycles on the same lane against you.

if you cycle a bike you are exempt from any rules.

On a regular basis when I turn on to Aungier st, I meet cars driving head on, on the wrong side of the road towards me, as they try to skip the queue. To be honest it happens on a regular basis on a few roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

On a regular basis when I turn on to Aungier st, I meet cars driving head on, on the wrong side of the road towards me, as they try to skip the queue. To be honest it happens on a regular basis on a few roads.

I get that while walking and cycling in the city centre quite a bit.

Recently, was cycling west on North King Street and a woman pulled out from the side road just before Church Street, right in my path, and I had been travelling at fairly quickly.

I spotted here quickly enough to slow down and stop in time. She strangely seemed very annoyed that I stopped just at her door before hitting her car. Maybe it was my very bright bicycle light now in her face that she somehow missed when she decided to pull out in front of me? :)

It was only just right after I pulled away that I released that she had overtaken a truck turning left -- the truck had not moved in the last 30 seconds. So, not only did she pull out when I was very visible, but she also only managed to do so because she broke the law by passing out the truck at the junction. Then she had the cheek to be annoyed with my light in her face! :)

I've noticed a few cyclists cycling the wrong direction in the one system in the phoenix park too. Day and night. And a few cars too for that matter. That could get Deer very quicky. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

its time cyclist were made obey the rules of the road.

I think it's time that everyone was made obey the rules of the road? An illegally parked bus was the start of this incident.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

On an equally regular basis when I turn left from O Connell St into Parnell St,I meet cyclists cycling head-on,on the wrong side of the road towards me,as they avoid the dreadfulness of having to circumnavigate Parnell Square.To be equally honest,it also happens on a regular basis on most roads.

One morning I was forced to pull sharply across following traffic to avoid a gentleman cyclist with a large sack of rice balanced on the handlebars which he was attempting (unsuccessfully) to see around......I'm at a loss,Dear Frankie, as how I should broach the subject next time we meet.....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheEndMyFriend

There is nothing in the article to suggest that when he mounted the footpath he was travelling at a speed or in such a way that would be dangerous to anyone.

While cycling at full speed along a footpath is stupidly dangerous and should result in serious penalties, cycling slowly and carefully along the path to avoid an illegally parked obstacle on the road is a very different matter altogether. There is not enough data here to make a determination that the cyclist was doing anything dangerous.

Certainly I see no evidence that he did anything that warranted being physically assaulted in the street, which is exactly what occurred.

It appears Bus Eireann need to vet their drivers more carefully in future. Given Mr Murray is in prison currently for some other reason, I suspect that even a very basic background check would have discovered that he was not the kind of person to be trusted with a bus full of people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

they should have more cycle lanes..

How did you find this thread it's 6 months old!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 by_odins_beard

I'm the cyclist in question and can clarify for you that I did in fact dismount my bike to walk around the bus driver on the footpath before I was assaulted. Obviously, I could not discuss on the forum previously as the case was in the appeal process.

glad it's over now

Explain as to why things kicked off if you were walking

I'm the cyclist in question and can clarify for you that I did in fact dismount my bike to walk around the bus driver on the footpath before I was assaulted. Obviously, I could not discuss on the forum previously as the case was in the appeal process.
    So if you were walking what was the problem and why would there be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭B0 SELECTRA

Well played Mr your 15 grand richer :cool:

I just wanted to clarify that one detail that has been reported incorrectly and a point of contention on the thread. As for the altercation, it's been a long day and to be honest, I'm not here to explain all of the other details.

Your not the cyclist so? it takes 2 to tango dont believe you were just walking with your bike and kept your head down and said nothing honestly dont care just sick of people suing for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've noticed a few cyclists cycling the wrong direction in the one system in the phoenix park too. Day and night. And a few cars too for that matter. That could get Deer very quicky. Doh!
    Surely "Doe!". :pac:

Doe, a deer, a female deer
    Ray, a drop of golden sun
    Me, a name I call myself
    Far, a long long way to run

• Advertisement

Yes Shirley

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0714/1224320064040.html
    Bus Éireann loses appeal over assault on cyclist by driver

Bus Éireann has lost a claim that it should not be held vicariously liable for an assault committed on a cyclist on a footpath by one of its drivers.

Yesterday, the president of the High Court, Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns, dismissed the appeal and found the driver had “just about” been acting during the course of his employment when the assault occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Victor wrote: »
    Surely "Doe!". :pac:

Doe, a deer, a female deer
    Ray, a drop of golden sun
    Me, a name I call myself
    Far, a long long way to run

spelling Nazi....:D

Advertisement