Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom doorstepping!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

rubadub wrote: »
    Sorry, meant my new house had none, have had none for ~7 years now with no issues, only benefits. 'Best thing I ever did' is really the 'best thing I never did' I suppose -i.e. never got my 'missing' doorbell.

Well that makes since. Taught it was a bit odd to say it was the best thing you ever did when you never had one :pac:

Dodge wrote: »
    Some are too pushy, but thats salespeople.

As has been said, just tell them you work for their rivals and they immediately retreat (So if its eircom, tell them you work for UPC etc etc)

Just don't be afriad to say "not interested" and close the door on their face. I'm not a rude person, but if someone doesn't understand "not interested", then tough...

Ya but if people did that they couldn't come on hear to cry about it

darokane wrote: »
    door to door salesperson by any chance?

No im not but its not the salesperson falt if you answer the door is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

lala88 wrote: »
    No im not but its not the salesperson falt if you answer the door is it?

Well it kind of is, they would have knocked or rang the bell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just tell them you already signed back over to Eircom in the last few days and they'll leave. Alternatively, don't answer the door.

• Advertisement

darokane wrote: »
    Well it kind of is, they would have knocked or rang the bell.

They dont make you open the door do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Seriously lala?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Answer the door naked covered in chocolate panda spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭largepants

Answer the door naked covered in chocolate panda spread.

:D:D. And make a noise like Ann from 'Little Britain'.

Zab wrote: »
    Seriously lala?

Did the big bad door to door salesman bully you too?

• Advertisement

grumpy much?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I see it from time to time on English sites usually in regards TV license inspectors that there is implied permission to enter your land set up so postmen and such can walk on your land to get to your door but that you can explicitly revoke this permission from people by informing them. I wonder if our laws are similar..
    You could then revoke Eircom and their agents implied right to enter your grounds and get to your door (in most cases that would be a driveway or such) so that it would be trespassing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I see it from time to time on English sites usually in regards TV license inspectors that there is implied permission to enter your land set up so postmen and such can walk on your land to get to your door but that you can explicitly revoke this permission from people by informing them. I wonder if our laws are similar..
    You could then revoke Eircom and their agents implied right to enter your grounds and get to your door (in most cases that would be a driveway or such) so that it would be trespassing?
    A locked gate with a no entry sign is probably the way to go and a few large angry looking dogs roaming the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Alternativly a strategicaly placed plant box on an upstairs window sill that you just happen to be watering when they arrive.
    Word will soon get around amongst them that there is a enthusiastic gardener in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

They used to call to my house a lot. I told them that I had signed a two year contract with my present provider and they haven't call for a long time. Try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MsAllybear

fella called round to us at 7pm this evening, me in my "i'm 15 years old" clothes and he asked am i the home owner, my mam went to him, was very persistant, wanted to come into house and look around at doors/locks etc, she wsa having none of it , as cant afford that kinda thing at moment and we'd guests in, so when she asked what this "special offer" was, he wouldnt tell her cos he wasnt allowed into check out house, which in one way i get cos he needs to see size etc but in fairness, ya can see, its a small bungalow, front and back, no big deal.
    funny thing i thought though was he walked! we live half mile from town, on unlit road and lane up to our house unlit. he did have idea but i was extremely sus!
    emailed eircom to check and made sure they know how pushy he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Did the big bad door to door salesman bully you too?

All right. But on my way, I'm going to be doing this ... [windmills arms] If you get hit, it's your own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

MsAllybear wrote: »
    fella called round to us at 7pm this evening, me in my "i'm 15 years old" clothes and he asked am i the home owner, my mam went to him, was very persistant, wanted to come into house and look around at doors/locks etc, she wsa having none of it , as cant afford that kinda thing at moment and we'd guests in, so when she asked what this "special offer" was, he wouldnt tell her cos he wasnt allowed into check out house, which in one way i get cos he needs to see size etc but in fairness, ya can see, its a small bungalow, front and back, no big deal.
    funny thing i thought though was he walked! we live half mile from town, on unlit road and lane up to our house unlit. he did have idea but i was extremely sus!
    erm...
    it sounds like your house just got cased, i'd call the gards on that one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Originally Posted by MsAllybear

Sounds like the wallet inspector to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

erm...
    it sounds like your house just got cased, i'd call the gards on that one....

Sounds more like she had someone from Eircom Phonewatch or whatever its called. They install monitored alarm systems. They were probably trying to do a risk assessment and then give you the latest frightening crime stats for your area, you know the drill "with all this recession, crime is ever increasing, away out here in the countryside, you are a prime target. Who would hear your alarm anyway if they did set it off? We can install this alarm system which is monitored 24/7, so its like having your own personal policeman in your home all the time, you know, to look after you and your property. Dont wait until its too late, you wouldnt believe how many callouts I do each week to upset homeowners who wished they had not waited until AFTER they had been burgled. The police advise everyone to have a monitored system in these times because they will be able to respond quickly if a call comes from us. Most thieves will simply avoid a house with a monitored alarm system, because they are looking for an easy target. Please, the last thing I would want is for you to leave it too late and you return home to a burgled home. Lets get the details sorted out now and you can go to work with peace of mind, knowing that with Eircom Phonewatch, someone is always at home!"

Actually, I dont know if they use that style of sales pitch at all, but if I was selling it, Id go somewhere along those lines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

I have the same problem with callers from a certain tv suppliers......at least once a week i get a knock from them (I dont have a door bell, they just bang on my door) so now as soon as i see its them i afraid to say i just use some not nice expletifs!!!!

I have the same problem with callers from a certain tv suppliers......at least once a week i get a knock from them (I dont have a door bell, they just bang on my door) so now as soon as i see its them i afraid to say i just use some not nice expletifs!!!!

Why do you answer the door? I look out the window and if I see a stranger I sit back down and continue to watch TV. I don't care if they see me, I won't buy, sign up or give money away on my doorstep. The usual suspects don't even bother to call anymore as they know its a waste of their time.

I remember really annoying a door to door salesman when I lived in a ground floor apartment in Rathmines. He had called in before and I told him I wasn't interested. This guy arrives at the door which was right beside a big bay window looking into the sitting room where I was watching a match. The guy was banging on the door pretending he couldn't see me, but I wasn't going anywhere. He then 'notices' me and starts smiling and mouthing to open the door so I looked up and said No. He continued knocking on the door getting increasingly frustrated as I turned the volume up and completely ignored him. He gave up and he never bothered to call in again.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Why do you answer the door? I look out the window and if I see a stranger I sit back down and continue to watch TV. I don't care if they see me, I won't buy, sign up or give money away on my doorstep. The usual suspects don't even bother to call anymore as they know its a waste of their time.

I remember really annoying a door to door salesman when I lived in a ground floor apartment in Rathmines. He had called in before and I told him I wasn't interested. This guy arrives at the door which was right beside a big bay window looking into the sitting room where I was watching a match. The guy was banging on the door pretending he couldn't see me, but I wasn't going anywhere. He then 'notices' me and starts smiling and mouthing to open the door so I looked up and said No. He continued knocking on the door getting increasingly frustrated as I turned the volume up and completely ignored him. He gave up and he never bothered to call in again.

You should be so proud of yourself.....

You seem to have a serious issue with this thread, care to tell why?

No lala, YOU should be so proud of yourself. I think that is the first reply from you without spelling or grammatical errors. Well done :-)
    You seem to have a serious issue with this thread, care to tell why?

I'll hazard a guess... he's a door to door salesman or likes the company that door to door salespeople give him, they're his 'friends'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

RoboRat wrote: »

One of lifes great achievers eh, well done you.

I can imagine you getting all excited when you spot a salesman doing his rounds in your street, getting yourself all prepped for his imminent arrival to your door.

TV on? CHECK
    Curtains wide open? CHECK
    Sitting in plain view? CHECK
    Hand on cock? CHECK
    Stupid smug face on? CHECK

oooooh here he comes now, pretend to watch tv and not see him.......oooh this is pure magic!!!!!

djrichard wrote: »

I can imagine you getting all excited when you spot a salesman doing his rounds in your street, getting yourself all prepped for his imminent arrival to your door.

TV on? CHECK
    Hand on cock? CHECK

oooooh here he comes now, pretend to watch tv and not see him.......oooh this is pure magic!!!!!

And there's another one.:rolleyes:

TV on? CHECK
    Hand on cock? CHECK

Erm no, I don't live there anymore and my sitting room is away from the front door so unfortunately I can't do that. I do however go up to the front bedroom, put a pair of underpants over my head, hang a cluster of red grapes from my bum and lean out the window whistling the theme to Hawaii 5-0 whilst 'pretending' to not see them. I also ring all the major companies to find out where and when their sales people will be to ensure they will be coming. If they are not, I ask them to send a sales team over so I can deliberately ignore them. Its absolutely brilliant and it makes my week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - there's been enough After Hours type cr*p here. Thread closed.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement