Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom doorstepping!

Options
  • 30-01-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to stop Eircom reps from doorstepping me.

I left Eircom four years ago however they continue to send reps to knock on my door. I have phoned them and asked them to stop sending people but they've said it's up to my current provider to tell them to stop!

The latest caller was today at approx. 15:05. I sent them packing very quickly and then phoned 1901 and asked how to have my name removed from their database. I was told there was nothing they could do I would have to contact my own service provider. I explained that my service provider said it is Eircom's responsibility and no-one else's to stop Eircom staff from knocking on my door. I asked to speak with a supervisor but was told "I'm telling you now I am not going to put a supervisor on this line". I was then put on hold and after approx 45seconds she hung up the line.

Is it any wonder I switched from Eircom in the first place!

As things currently stand, ComReg can do nothing about it as they only take care of unsolicited phone calling, which Eircom stopped some time ago after I told Vodafone to opt me out of direct marketing listings. ComReg told me to phone the Data Protection Commissioner's office. They told me there's nothing they can do either.

So Eircom aren't listening, they've hung up the phone on me when I've asked them to listen and it seems they're going to continue ignoring my wishes and send their representatives to my door. I think this is the height of ignorance and very poor customer service. If there had ever been a chance of my switching back to Eircom, this disgusting, rude and shoddy behaviour is enough to ensure I won't be.

Now......does anyone have any idea as to how I would contact Eircom's management in order to ask them politely to go away.........??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you need to have your service provider remove you from the national telephone directory.

thats where eircom are collecting your details from and are legally entitled to unless you move ex directory or block direct marketing calls

http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Stick a sign on your door saying "no junk mail, no salesmen, no charity's".

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Roots-Sinead

I am out of it....and I just went to your link to double check.
    I did this about three years ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Get rid of your doorbell, best thing I ever did, well my house never had one but if I move I will remove it. Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Does anyone know how to stop Eircom reps from doorstepping me.

I left Eircom four years ago however they continue to send reps to knock on my door. I have phoned them and asked them to stop sending people but they've said it's up to my current provider to tell them to stop!

The latest caller was today at approx. 15:05. I sent them packing very quickly and then phoned 1901 and asked how to have my name removed from their database. I was told there was nothing they could do I would have to contact my own service provider. I explained that my service provider said it is Eircom's responsibility and no-one else's to stop Eircom staff from knocking on my door. I asked to speak with a supervisor but was told "I'm telling you now I am not going to put a supervisor on this line". I was then put on hold and after approx 45seconds she hung up the line.

Is it any wonder I switched from Eircom in the first place!

As things currently stand, ComReg can do nothing about it as they only take care of unsolicited phone calling, which Eircom stopped some time ago after I told Vodafone to opt me out of direct marketing listings. ComReg told me to phone the Data Protection Commissioner's office. They told me there's nothing they can do either.

So Eircom aren't listening, they've hung up the phone on me when I've asked them to listen and it seems they're going to continue ignoring my wishes and send their representatives to my door. I think this is the height of ignorance and very poor customer service. If there had ever been a chance of my switching back to Eircom, this disgusting, rude and shoddy behaviour is enough to ensure I won't be.

Now......does anyone have any idea as to how I would contact Eircom's management in order to ask them politely to go away.........??

Eircom use outside agencies which are usually not very reputable, I think it's cpm Ireland so that's why there is nothing you can do

• Advertisement

Stick a sign on your door saying "no junk mail, no salesmen, no charity's".

I did believe it or not.

It says 'No junk mail or cold callers please'

I had to point it out to them and then they just ignored that and kept talking. I had to simply say, I've already said I'm not interested and close the door.

But I want them to stop. When I want to buy something, I shop for it in my own time, in my own way.

I did believe it or not.

I had to point it out to them and then they just ignored that and kept talking. I had to simply say, I've already said I'm not interested and close the door.

But I want them to stop. When I want to buy something, I shop for it in my own time, in my own way.

put a sign up saying sales reps will be shot

Would there be any point in contacting CPM?
    It just seems ludicrous that you can't choose who knocks on your own front door!
    I'm self employed but I wouldn't dream of going around knocking on doors touting for business. I don't even do flyer drops.
    I think it's really wrong to bully and harrass people in their own home.
    Why aren't there regulations surrounding this area...........???

darokane wrote: »
    put a sign up saying sales reps will be shot
    :D I'd love to! That or electrify the bell and shock the s**t out of them when they ring! *lol*
    I am seriously contemplating putting one up that says, 'if you ignore the notice and ring, I'll be reciprocating your rudeness' and then tell them to f**k off if they do knock. Still all this makes me out to be a grump and Eircom are the problem......I just want shot of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

You can stop them calling your phone but there is no way to stop them calling to your door.

• Advertisement

ask for the salesmans details and who he works for next time, then get onto citizens information bureau about it

McLoughlin wrote: »
    no way to stop them calling to your door.
    no doorbell as I said, seriously. I have yet to hear anybody give me a reason to have one which I could not rebutt, no need in this day & age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

ask for the salesmans details and who he works for next time, then get onto citizens information bureau about it

There's no law against door to door sales so citizens advice won't do anything. They outsource to a different company who assign staff to different areas. The quickest way to get rid of them is to say you or your wife/husband work for their competitor and you get it for nothing from them. Works every time for eircom, Vodafone, sky, airtricity etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ask the sales man for his address, and tell him you'll call around later in the night to answer his questions. He won't call to you again, but the next guy will.

i usually tell them im going to sue for harrassment and that gets rid of them in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

no doorbell as I said, seriously. I have yet to hear anybody give me a reason to have one which I could not rebutt, no need in this day & age.

I don't have a doorbell either and its great. I also ignore people knocking on the door if I don't know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

rubadub wrote: »

I had similar problems with people calling all the time that I did not want to deal with - cold callers, dodgy collectors, religious folks, etc. - the list is endless.

So what I did was I got a wireless door bell/intercom with phone. Costs €80 on ebay. Very easy to setup. Now if someone rings the bell I pick up the phone & we speak. Very easy to deal with people!

I have this setup in about a year. Guess what? Practically nobody rings it! Only genuine people will ring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Put up a no Cold Calling sign, works for most

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

rubadub wrote: »
    Get rid of your doorbell, best thing I ever did, well my house never had one but if I move I will remove it. Highly recommend it.

How is the best thing you ever did if you never had one?

• Advertisement

I did believe it or not.

Why wouldn't they? It just a sign not like it have any legal baring

Would there be any point in contacting CPM?
    It just seems ludicrous that you can't choose who knocks on your own front door!
    I'm self employed but I wouldn't dream of going around knocking on doors touting for business. I don't even do flyer drops.
    I think it's really wrong to bully and harrass people in their own home.
    Why aren't there regulations surrounding this area...........???

There hardly bulling or harrassing people now are they? If you answer the door its your own problem

lala88 wrote: »
    There hardly bulling or harrassing people now are they? If you answer the door its your own problem

You really are a breath of fresh air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to agree. Some people need to take stock of what really constitutes Bullying or Harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Some are too pushy, but thats salespeople.

As has been said, just tell them you work for their rivals and they immediately retreat (So if its eircom, tell them you work for UPC etc etc)

Just don't be afriad to say "not interested" and close the door on their face. I'm not a rude person, but if someone doesn't understand "not interested", then tough...

I must remember that when I open the door to some gouger who decides they're going to rob me.....'oh sorry, I opened the door to you so come right on it and rob whatever you want!'.

Don't be a facetious Lala. I mention bullying and harrassment as while looking into this I have found so many reports on the 'net of instances where elderly and vulnerable people were coerced into signing contracts and divulging personal and private information by over pushy salespeople using bullying tactics at the door.

Try to see the bigger picture. My experience is just one instance in what seems to be a rife practice and there are no laws stopping it from happening. When it's your elderly parent or grandparent who's been shafted by someone peddling at the door, you'll no doubt think differently.

With regard to whether a notice is legally binding or not - I never said it was. I would however like to think that the literate people of this world are graced with something akin to decent manners and the ability to be courteous particularly when knocking on somone's door begging. Based on that principal alone, I feel it should've been enough to make them think again before knocking.

Don't worry, I do close the door pretty much in their face, but it's unfair having to alter my principals i.e. be rude, in order to bypass someone with none.

Now off you go Lala and find somewhere else to troll! This is a valid thread seeking valid and constructive solutions. If you haven't anything worthwhile to offer, don't bother at all.

door to door salesperson by any chance?

How is the best thing you ever did if you never had one?
    Sorry, meant my new house had none, have had none for ~7 years now with no issues, only benefits. 'Best thing I ever did' is really the 'best thing I never did' I suppose -i.e. never got my 'missing' doorbell.

I must remember that when I open the door to some gouger who decides they're going to rob me.....'oh sorry, I opened the door to you so come right on it and rob whatever you want!'.

Don't be a facetious Lala. I mention bullying and harrassment as while looking into this I have found so many reports on the 'net of instances where elderly and vulnerable people were coerced into signing contracts and divulging personal and private information by over pushy salespeople using bullying tactics at the door.

Try to see the bigger picture. My experience is just one instance in what seems to be a rife practice and there are no laws stopping it from happening. When it's your elderly parent or grandparent who's been shafted by someone peddling at the door, you'll no doubt think differently.

With regard to whether a notice is legally binding or not - I never said it was. I would however like to think that the literate people of this world are graced with something akin to decent manners and the ability to be courteous particularly when knocking on somone's door begging. Based on that principal alone, I feel it should've been enough to make them think again before knocking.

Don't worry, I do close the door pretty much in their face, but it's unfair having to alter my principals i.e. be rude, in order to bypass someone with none.

Now off you go Lala and find somewhere else to troll! This is a valid thread seeking valid and constructive solutions. If you haven't anything worthwhile to offer, don't bother at all.

Yes because there all trying to rob everyone aren't they :rolleyes:. Also if someone on the internet say it then it has to be true i forgot that......

If someone signs up for something at the door how is it bullying? Its not like they were held at gunpoint is it? Although the way people on hear go on you'd think they were. If you sign up for something its your problem not the salesperson as much as it may surprise people they cant read minds and if you lead on that you are interested what are they ment to do?

All this is is another person trying to play the victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

They are trained to pre-empt, ignore and deal with most objections. They are usually sales people working on commission only, no basic pay.

I know its annoying when they call to your door, but a quick "I'm very busy today, I have personal things to attend to, I'm not interested in whatever your promotion is, thanks for calling though", and then turn and close the door.

If you just say "i'm not interested", that's when they start getting pushy, as that's what everyone says when they open a door to a cold caller, so they're well used to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement