Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDIFF 2012

Options
123457»

Comments

Just given that it's an unreleased film, better to err on the side of caution with spoilers! I had no idea the film featured that (inane) subplot going in, so we can only assume many others won't either :)

True enough, though I imagine that a lot of people will be watching it over the coming weeks. English language friendly Blu-Ray released this week so people should be able to get their hands on it through various avenues.

I'm still trying to figure out if all the references to Tesco was an in joke at Simon Delaney's expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Anyway it was nice to see a film that didn't make Dublin look like a dreary dump.

*ahem* most other Irish movies *ahem*

e_e wrote: »
    Anyway it was nice to see a film that didn't make Dublin look like a dreary dump.

*ahem* most other Irish movies *ahem*

Few Irish films set in Dublin make the city look in any way appealing. Most Irish films set in Dublin are about junkies, poverty, gangsters, etc and as such they go out of their way to show the worst of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

I personally don't think there's a chance in hell that 'This Must Be The Place' will be this weekend's surprise film; Paolo Sorrentino has visited the Festival before, it was partly filmed in Ireland, and Element co-produced and are distributing it here. If it were in the Festival, it would have had a prime slot with guests, like 'Albert Nobbs' last weekend. So it'll probably get a premiere of some sort at the Lighthouse with all the attendant fanfare rather than being thrown away as a surprise film.

Guess who feels like an idiot now?

Haha I have to say I thought back to that post when the film began. :D

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen the rating on IMDB for Stella Days? Pretty strange.

The film was fairly unnoteworthy but I wonder who the people are rating it so low. Though at one point I could spot about 3 people playing with their phones. Why is that sh!t tolerated? One woman said it was great afterwards, yeah so great that whatever was on your iPhone screen was more interesting than the film itself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Haha I have to say I thought back to that post when the film began. :D

Me too. When it became obvious what film it was, the strange sound the entire auditorium may have heard was me facepalming.

Has anyone seen the rating on IMDB for Stella Days? Pretty strange.

The film was fairly unnoteworthy but I wonder who the people are rating it so low. Though at one point I could spot about 3 people playing with their phones. Why is that sh!t tolerated? One woman said it was great afterwards, yeah so great that whatever was on your iPhone screen was more interesting than the film itself. :rolleyes:

A lot of people who saw it at the Galway Film Fleadh were far from impressed with it. Seems to be one of those films thats forgotten as soon as the credits role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I saw Stella Days and I liked it. Actually it was my favourite film of the festival. . .until the closing gala.
    Death of a Superhero is now my favourite film of the festival - partly because it brought back personal memories. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Me too. When it became obvious what film it was, the strange sound the entire auditorium may have heard was me facepalming.

It would have been easy enough to hear you, since there was NO reaction to the start of the film. I'd have thought most people would have known about it, since the shoot here was fairly high profile. Penn's first appearance should have triggered a response. Nothing. Maybe when the title appears? Still nothing.
    The only audience responses were the little pockets of laughter that eventually started reacting to each of the numerous production companies and distributors' logos appearing at the start. Considering we didn't know what we were there to see, there was an element of, "Is the film ever going to start?".

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I got good value out of my season ticket. I saw a lot of good films and interesting guests.

Highlights were two bone-crunching action movies, Sleepless Night and The Raid, the epic The Yellow Sea and the sprawling ensemble Margaret.

I also enjoyed Headhunters, a slick fast paced thriller and the gothic atmosphere of The Monk.

One of the great things about seeing films in a festival is stumbling across great films you had no prior knowledge of. The French-Canadian film Café De Flore was one of these, an incredibly stylish film dealing with two storylines set forty years apart. The soundtrack was fantastic as was the editing between the storylines. Definitely one of the films of the year.

After going every year since the JDIFF was launched, I have found the last couple of years to be lacklustre, and - having already been particularly disappointed with the 2012 programme - this mailshot error is just the last straw.
    Heads should roll for this and someone at the highest level needs to take some responsibility. I won't be supporting the festival again.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

A lot of people who saw it at the Galway Film Fleadh were far from impressed with it. Seems to be one of those films thats forgotten as soon as the credits role.
    Understandable (thought the film was pretty dull myself) but the demographic breakdown on IMDB somehow tells a much different story than the 2.2 rating would suggest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

this mailshot error is just the last straw.

Who was this sent to out of curiosity? I get every 'standard' JDIFF email - to two accounts as I'm too lazy to cancel one - and didn't get anything with an attachment...

What's the story with the 'guess the surprise film' prizes? Guessed correctly yesterday but I suppose lots of others did too...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Who was this sent to out of curiosity? I get every 'standard' JDIFF email - to two accounts as I'm too lazy to cancel one - and didn't get anything with an attachment...

What's the story with the 'guess the surprise film' prizes? Guessed correctly yesterday but I suppose lots of others did too...
    Dear JDIFF patron

I wanted to advise you of a breach of our data protection procedures, relating to a promotional email sent out to you yesterday. With this email, an attachment was sent in error with the contact details of 407 current members on our database who we were targeting with this particular promotional offer. This attachment was sent in error, and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Apart from the contact information and opt in/opt out selections, no further data was released.

We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience caused and are reviewing our operational systems to ensure that this error will not happen again. Our data is securely stored and we are fully compliant with the data protection regulations with regards to all information stored. The mistake was a result of human error and we are investigating how this occurred and how we can ensure it does not occur again.

We thank you very much for your support of the festival and value your attendance at the festival this year. We look forward to welcoming you at the festival next year.

You should get an idea from this :mad:

I love the way they say "no further data was released", as if people on the list should be oh so grateful that their credit card details weren't there.
    In an age where people are encouraged to tear up or shred any correspondence with their name and address on it before disposing of it, sending out a spreadsheet with hundreds of names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses is inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

I love the way they say "no further data was released", as if people on the list should be oh so grateful that their credit card details weren't there.
    In an age where people are encouraged to tear up or shred any correspondence with their name and address on it before disposing of it, sending out a spreadsheet with hundreds of names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses is inexcusable.

This was the 2nd email.
    Dear JDIFF Patron

Following on from my email to you yesterday we have contacted the Data Protection Commissioner who has advised us that we seek that you delete the original email of Saturday 25th, Subject Line : 'Final Weekend Recommendation', with the attachment, and that we ask you to be wary of any unsolicited communications.

Once again, we are very sorry for any inconvenience caused and sincerely regret the incident.

The request to delete the e-mail is just closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. An error of this magnitude should not happen, and it speaks volumes for the policies and procedures that the festival have.

While the mistake is not an offence in itself, it is a breach of practice, and the festival will have to answer a lot of awkward questions. It's all very well blaming human error, but there are a sequence of events and decisions that lead to any mistake being made.

For anyone who was included on the list, they may want to query why they were even sent that particular e-mail, especially if no other film they bought tickets to bore any similarity to the film they were being recommended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just found out I won the draw for a free 2013 season pass for guessing the surprise film (totally worth enduring This Must Be the Place for).

Here's hoping the world doesn't end before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Just found out I won the draw for a free 2013 season pass for guessing the surprise film (totally worth enduring This Must Be the Place for).

Nice one. Well done.

• Advertisement

I put it down for Casa De Mi Padre. So that movie fecked me over doubly. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

LOL I can just see you now on Dec 21st! Shaking your fist to the heavens! "NOOOOOOOOO!!! I HAD JDIFF 2013 SEASON PASS!!!!" :D

noooooooo.jpg

Advertisement