Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDIFF 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Skinfull wrote: »
    Jeff, Who stays at home was brilliant. Loved it. Little slow to start off but purposefully so. Characters were all pitch perfect. Loved Jeff which is surprising for me as I usually have little time for the "stoner" of the movie, but he proves to be so much more than that. Don't wanna steal your words Johnny_Ultimate but this story as also warm and full of heart, and had me tearing up on two occasions.

The crowd laughed in all the right places, and some people ahem*me*ahem on their own at clearly personal levels. Really recommend viewing this when it comes to a general release, which no doubt it will.

Having gone in kinda blind, without real synopsis or trailer, I walked in expecting another "Our Idiot Brother", but got so much more for my ten bucks. Best movie of JDIFF I've seen so far.
    Completely agree. I'm still in a good mood from it, the exact opposite effect to last night's "comedy" surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

I honestly don't know how Gráinne can repeatedly get the Surprise Film so wrong. I know it's impossible to please all the people all the time, but if anything is going to split the audience, it's going to be a comedy, and especially a quirky, niche effort like this. This is the third comedy she has chosen to be a Surprise Film (some would argue four if you count Greenberg's would-be comic-drama) and they've all been poor to varying degrees. Hamlet 2 was an embarrassing disgrace, Cedar Rapids was tolerable but forgettable and now this debacle.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Casa De Mi Padre works fine as a trailer, where it plays out like an amusing two minute sketch, but stretched to feature length, it really outstays its welcome. Sure, it's a bit of a coup to have a first European screening, but when the film is this bad, frankly, who cares?
    [/SIZE]

I was at this too, and while I agree that the film was abysmal, I think people are being a bit unfair to the Festival. It seems to me that a slot like this is very much a poisoned chalice. Firstly, it's obviously getting harder and harder to get a big, quality, audience pleasing title as a surprise film; distributors seem to be increasingly unwilling to give those films for this slot simply because it's a risk. It might be argued that they're building advance buzz and setting word of mouth in motion, but in part thanks to the internet, if preview audiences turn on a film, negative word of mouth can kill it before it even opens. The safer option is to follow traditional advertising and marketing strategies, and hope for a big opening before word gets round about the quality of the film. The other thing I wanted to say is that it's probably very often the case that the programmer hasn't seen the film, particularly if it is very new. In the case of 'Casa de mi Padre', it was a European premiere, so it's possible that Grainne hadn't seen it in advance. The only resource available to her would have been reviews, except that according to, for example, IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, there are no reviews yet. It doesn't even open in the States until next month. So sometimes the programmer has to go on faith, and in this case, why not? It has Will Ferrell, one of the biggest and best-loved comedy stars, in it, and on paper the idea sounds like it could be hilarious. She took a risk, and unfortunately it didn't work out. I think Ed from Horrorthon has the same problems. Nearly every year, the Horrorthon surprise film gets slated, and sometimes deservedly so, but the same factors are at play. Last year's, 'Trespass', involved Nicolas Cage and Joel Schumacher, both of whom have name recognition with the Horrorthon audience for both good and bad reasons. This film was a dog, but it could have paid off. And given that there were some bigger horror films due out not long after Horrorthon, such as 'The Thing', which a lot of people expected to be the surprise film, that didn't occupy this slot is a fair indication that 'Trespass' was probably far from the first choice. Distributors will want the chance to exploit publicity for the big films. For example, I personally don't think there's a chance in hell that 'This Must Be The Place' will be this weekend's surprise film; Paolo Sorrentino has visited the Festival before, it was partly filmed in Ireland, and Element co-produced and are distributing it here. If it were in the Festival, it would have had a prime slot with guests, like 'Albert Nobbs' last weekend. So it'll probably get a premiere of some sort at the Lighthouse with all the attendant fanfare rather than being thrown away as a surprise film. The final point I wanted to make is about the audience for the surprise films; it's always one of the first things to sell out, and seems to get people in who see little if anything else during the festivals mentioned. It's a much broader audience with varying expectations. And you can't please everyone, so there will always be those who complain, regardless of the film. Picking a comedy is probably the safest bet. So yes, sometimes the surprise films are crap, but my guess is that the programmers are often just as unpleasantly surprised as those of us in the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I was at Wilde Salome last night. It was a very interesting idea for a film.

It was partly an adaptation of Oscar Wilde's play Salome, part documentary on the staging of the play in Los Angeles and part story of Oscar Wilde's life.

I thought Jessica Chastain's performance as Salome was amazing. She's just an incredibly talented actress.

And what a great buzz being in the same room as Al Pacino!
    I thought he might show up, accept his Volta and leave but not at all. He spoke very eloquently before the film and took part in a long q&a afterwards.
    He was very charming and funny, he really made it into a memorable night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Coming down with a terrible cold/possible flu, so I'm glad I didn't book too many films. It'll be a struggle to get to the ones I did.

Did anyone get to see Blame on Saturday? I really wanted to see that.

As I mentioned in the recently watched thread, I thought Womb with Eva Green was brilliant. Very thought provoking sci-fi drama about cloning. Have to say, I like all these little arthouse films that Green does in between the blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

As I mentioned in the recently watched thread, I thought Womb with Eva Green was brilliant. Very thought provoking sci-fi drama about cloning. Have to say, I like all these little arthouse films that Green does in between the blockbusters.
    It was very good, though a bit slow for my taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Did anyone get to see Blame on Saturday? I really wanted to see that.

I think it was cancelled.

I saw 3 (Drei) yesterday. Tom Tykwer back in very good form!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Did anyone win tickets for Reservoir Dogs for tonight?

I seen that the JDIFF Facebook page has given away 10 pairs this week, but that was all, so what becomes of the rest?

Did JDIFF season ticket golders get a chance to buy some even?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Did anyone win tickets for Reservoir Dogs for tonight?

I seen that the JDIFF Facebook page has given away 10 pairs this week, but that was all, so what becomes of the rest?

Did JDIFF season ticket golders get a chance to buy some even?
    Jameson give them away via their website as per usual I think. They have these screenings throughout the year. Anyone going to the Lonergan masterclass tomorrow? Price is much more reasonable now that a ticket to Margaret for tonight is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Anyone going to Stella in Cineworld on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Im trying to get tickets for it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I am going.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Hey! Would anyone have a spare ticket to margaret tonight in cineworld, by any chance? Would absolutely love to see this film, but never got around to booking a ticket >.<
    I would be eternally grateful :)

Jean wrote: »
    Hey! Would anyone have a spare ticket to margaret tonight in cineworld, by any chance? Would absolutely love to see this film, but never got around to booking a ticket >.<
    I would be eternally grateful :)
    I just got a refund on the spare one I had yesterday! If you turn up there might be some returns as anyone who is attending the Lonergan Masterclass gets a ticket and is allowed return any Margaret ticket they may have purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Oh, just turning up at cineworld may work? OHHHH... Please god!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As already noted earlier in the thread, Margaret is opening in the IFI on Friday.

As already noted earlier in the thread, Margaret is opening in the IFI on Friday.
    true. So only really essential to see it tonight if attending the masterclass in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Wow. That was dire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ill have to sleep on it, and it was undoubtedly unwieldy and dense. But i really think Margaret might be brilliant. Certainly deserving of more than a phone analysis on the bus home. Much to ponder on, but at the very least the acting and screenplay are masterful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Saw 2 movies tonight, into the abyss which was alright but disappointing, and once upon a time in anatolia, which was a steaming pile of sh**e

Well, I dragged myself with much difficulty to see Once Upon a Time in Anatolia tonight. Very impressed and I'm glad I made the effort. A slow but mesmerising film that offers a fascinating existential mediation on human nature. I think it’s out in the IFI next month. I’d definitely recommend it, as well as Ceylan’s previous film Three Monkeys.

• Advertisement

Ill have to sleep on it, and it was undoubtedly unwieldy and dense. But i really think Margaret might be brilliant. Certainly deserving of more than a phone analysis on the bus home. Much to ponder on, but at the very least the acting and screenplay are masterful.

Did you not think it could have done with losing a subplot.... or two?

Well, I dragged myself with much difficulty to see Once Upon a Time in Anatolia tonight. Very impressed and I'm glad I made the effort. A slow but mesmerising film that offers a fascinating existential mediation on human nature. I think it’s out in the IFI next month. I’d definitely recommend it, as well as Ceylan’s previous film Three Monkeys.

couldn't disagree more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Did you not think it could have done with losing a subplot.... or two?

I'm not sure: I'm sure almost everything had fascinating character interactions and resolutions. That said, two were possibly less effective than others:

1. The Jean Reno plot. Not quite sure if I'm able to put this as easily into the overall 'scheme' of things. Have to have a think on it, but it was probably the least interesting of the lot.

The legal scenes. Definitely the toughest twenty minutes of the film, with a few awkwardly delivered scenes of legal jargon. However, I do think the motivations for this subplot represent a vital - if not the most important - part of Lisa's arc and actions throughout the film. Some scattered sequences throughout these subplot - particularly the conclusion - were amongst the most powerful in the film. Shame it was awkwardly delivered at times

Also, while I think many will argue that a lot of the smaller characters were underwritten, it's fascinating to see the effect Lisa's manipulative, selfish ways have on them. What we don't see in - to pick two examples, Broderick's subplot or the brief scenes with Lisa's would-be admirer - says almost as much as the subtle scenes where we do see their reactions.

Also saw Into the Abyss. Decent enough, if unrelentingly grim. A pretty balanced take on the subject, and Herzog reigns himself in on the crazy tangents for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

mystic86 wrote: »
    Saw 2 movies tonight, into the abyss which was alright but disappointing, and once upon a time in anatolia, which was a steaming pile of sh**e
    Same. The former was another solid Herzog offering but nowhere near his best work. The latter was just uninvolving and tedious.

Might have worked at a brisker 80-90 minute run time but turned out to be more of an endurance test at 150 minutes. I tend to like slow paced, lengthy and ambiguous movies too (see Weerasethakuk's work). Very disappointing.

Also saw Into the Abyss. Decent enough, if unrelentingly grim. A pretty balanced take on the subject, and Herzog reigns himself in on the crazy tangents for a change.

Omg, I was in same cinema at same time as famous Johnny ultimate :o

Lol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey guys, before I punch my monitor trying to navigate the JDIFF website, is there a page/pdf i can look at to see every film and a short synopsis? This shuffling flash crap and "i'm in the mood for" really doesn't cut it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

mystic86 wrote: »

I liked Into the Abyss. As has been said it's not the best documentary you'll ever see but I still thought some of the incidents post murder were just surreal enough to make you laugh with shear calamity. Also there was an eerie "Redneck outback" feeling hanging throughout the film.

I think the film was neither for or against the death penalty but rather giving both sides and letting you make your mind up whilst also showing the areas that some of these Southern folk grow up in. For a lot of the characters seen or mentioned if they hadn't been in prison yet they were on their way there.

As a side note he actually started filming this by recording a few more suspects on death row but decided to stick with this case. The rest is supposedly going to be turned into 4 TV specials about inmates on Death Row.

Yeah, they were showing the series of 'Death Row Portraits' over in Berlin as well as Into the Abyss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Hello, was at Le Havre on Sunday, very enjoyable, kaurismaki with a lighter touch than usual tho I was a little miffed with the ending.

Really struggling to pick out another movie or two so any tips or recommendations for the remaining movies that have tickets left? I know its a subjective thing and normally I'd be happy at this stage to throw a dart at the programme but the selection seems so weak this year I don't really fancy blowing a tenner on a dud.

Advertisement