Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens and Dating- help!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

STAR2011 wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind but I am going to hikack the thread and look for a bit of advice! I have a 16year old boy who is in his first "real" relationship and is head over heels in love!

Now she is a lovely girl but she comes with some baggage. First, if you ask her what do you want to do when you finish school - she will say nothing, my husband will keep me!!!!! (I hate this attitude) And her family are very pushy, drop her to the house and stay for 4 hours, inviting him to family events, refering to him as a Son-in- law, serioulsy expensive xmas/birthday presents (from her mother, grandparents and her aunt) and its like they are delighted she is in such a serious relationship where as I am not! I think they are too young.

I am trying to encourage him to keep up contact with his male friends, asking him about them and saying we haven't seen them in a while, bring them over etc etc but this is not proving easy, he is only interested in spending his free time with his girlfriend!

So I suppose what I am asking is - how to discourage it without him knowing thats what I am doing or should I leave it to run its course and hope he sees sense and also how to deal with her pushy family - who seem to think we are all one big happy family now!

Hmmmm it's a tough one. In these situations, I think it often happens that any attempt to discourage the relationship, will only drive them closer together!

On a practical level, I would make sure that he is very aware of how important it is to use sufficient contraception!! Make sure he's not just leaving it up to her (the pill etc) - by the sounds of it, herself and her family would only be delighted with a pregnancy!! So make sure he's using condoms, even if she says it's OK because she's on the pill or whatever.

Advertisement