Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seth Rogan Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi guys, I was wondering what ye thought about the actor Seth Rogan. I personally hate him, he seems to play the same waster character in every film, he also seems to be high 24/7. He has been in some of my favourite films recently like 50/50 and even Paul (at lest we didn't have to see his face) and although I love these movies he is the only downfall. I really can't understand how anyone likes him as an actor?
    anyways what to ye think, like him or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I like him. Not the best actor in the world by any stretch but I find him funny and he seems like someone I'd like to hang out with in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

he was good in 50/50, cant stand him in anything else, he cant play any part but Seth Rogen "huhrrrr hurrrhr I'm so baked hurrrhr hurrhr" as a bit part actor in comedies he's tolerable like Superbad or The 40 Year Old Virgin but as a leading role I want to strangle him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I like him as an actor.

There are plenty of actors who play to type, sometimes you wish others would also. Lets be honest De Niro and Al Pacino have at times been dire when they stray too far from what made them great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought he was alright in Knocked Up and 50/50, but he seems somewhat limited as an actor so I wouldn't exactly seek out films in which he was the lead. I suspect he's better as a supporting player than a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

He's alright! He's usually typecasted as a stoner loser guy who wises up and gets the girl in the end!

Don't get me started on Phillip Schofield though! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

He's alright! He's usually typecasted as a stoner loser guy who wises up and gets the girl in the end!

Don't get me started on Phillip Schofield though! :P

Or his mate Gordon the Gopher...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i like him. He can be annoying as hell, Green Hornet being the biggest example but in the right movie he's quite funny and pretty likeable, Knocked Up, 50/50 and to a lesser extent pineapple express. I also liked Observe and Report where he played a nutter. He does pretty much play the same character most of the time (apart from observe and report) but lots of actors do this, even some of the greats (I'm not saying he's one of the greats).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is maybay an option? Would take a lot of crap to undo Freaks and Geeks goodwill. But he's pushing it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I like him, sure he can't push himself as an actor but there are a good few who also do that. He seems like a decent guy in interviews too.

He was very little range and seems content to play the same character each film but when he's not the main focus of attention then he can be rather fun. Green Hornet showed that he's not leading man material, to call it painful to watch would be understating it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Limited actor and I can't see him breaking away from the typecast image he seems to be now associated.

He had his shot at a lead role and didn't work out.

I'm guessing that he is one of those actors who will disappear in the next few years, then there will be threads like, ...do you remember Seth Rogan? or What happended to Seth Rogan?

In saying all that, I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

He's like the pop-tarts of acting. You know a pop-tart is never going to rock your world, they always taste the same whatever packet you get them from, and whatever toaster you put them in.

In other words, hes fine at what he does, but what he does is pretty limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

thanks everyone for yer input.
    The thing is I can't exactly pinpoint what I don't like about him, it could be the tone of his voice, that he does play the same role in every movie or the fact that I can't really respect him as an actor as it looks like he doesn't really try to stray from his comfort zone and the same character he plays all the time as that character in a lead role obviously doesn't work out *cough*green hornet*cough*. I understand that a lot of actors as ye said like Al Picino, Michael Madsen or De Niro do a lot of the same but the fact is they are very good actors and did define an era where as Rogan isn't even especially good when he plays a character inside his comfort zone. also I've noticed Jessie Esanberg plays a lot of the same character like in the social network but it doesn't bother me as much? Am I just too picky with my actors :P
    BTW I love the pop tart reference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FlashD wrote: »
    Limited actor and I can't see him breaking away from the typecast image he seems to be now associated.

He had his shot at a lead role and didn't work out.

I'm guessing that he is one of those actors who will disappear in the next few years, then there will be threads like, ...do you remember Seth Rogan? or What happended to Seth Rogan?

In saying all that, I like him.

I think he might leave acting behind for writing and producing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I think he's a funny bastard and any comedy he is in is top quality, loved him in superbad and pineapple express, two of my favourite comedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Think he's great. Many of his movies would be among my favourites.

Also, he already writes and produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Mickeroo wrote: »
    i like him. He can be annoying as hell, Green Hornet being the biggest example but in the right movie he's quite funny and pretty likeable, Knocked Up, 50/50 and to a lesser extent pineapple express. I also liked Observe and Report where he played a nutter. He does pretty much play the same character most of the time (apart from observe and report) but lots of actors do this, even some of the greats (I'm not saying he's one of the greats).

The character he played in Observe and Report is the same guy he played in Donnie Darko and Freaks & Geeks.

So he can do two types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I like him. I think he's somewhat limited as an actor, as some have been saying, and I think he's probably better as a writer, but I still think he's funny and I like most of the movies he's been in and co-wrote. He also comes across as a very amiable bloke, who's just doing what he likes to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Personally I think his best performance so far has been in monsters vs aliens.

I find him very meh tbh, his involvement in a role wouldn't make me want to see it any more than make me want to miss it. So neutral, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Possibly his finest work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I wasn't his biggest fan but 50/50 turned it around for me somewhat, thought he was quite good in it.

He's not a great actor but he's solid, he's funny and seems like a pretty chilled out guy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

AoifeCN wrote: »
    hi guys, I was wondering what ye thought about the actor Seth Rogan. I personally hate him, he seems to play the same waster character in every film, he also seems to be high 24/7. He has been in some of my favourite films recently like 50/50 and even Paul (at lest we didn't have to see his face) and although I love these movies he is the only downfall. I really can't understand how anyone likes him as an actor?
    anyways what to ye think, like him or not?
    50/50 is semiautobiographical. The writer's best friend, who helped him cope with the situation and encouraged him to write about it is Seth Rogan. He plays a slightly fictionalised version of himself in that film.

On the whole, I don't find him all that funny, but neither do I find him as irritating as many people seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

mikhail wrote: »
    50/50 is semiautobiographical. The writer's best friend, who helped him cope with the situation and encouraged him to write about it is Seth Rogan. He plays a slightly fictionalised version of himself in that film.

On the whole, I don't find him all that funny, but neither do I find him as irritating as many people seem to.

On that whole issue, i wonder if its actually harder to play yourself? And how do you direct someone to be more themselves? Can you act like yourself???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Him and Jesse Eisenberg have heads i just want to punch at this stage. Its overkill the past few years with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Warper wrote: »
    Him and Jesse Eisenberg have heads i just want to punch at this stage. Its overkill the past few years with them.

:pac: I can see were your coming with Seth Rogan think maybe he needs to take a break or try branch out into different roles otherwise hes going to have a short career, people are fickle and tire easily.

But I do like a lot of his films, the last film I saw him in was Paul and thought he was very good in that.

Jesse Eisenberg overkill really how?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Warper wrote: »
    Jesse Eisenberg overkill really how?
    He's had four films which grossed over $10 million (in the US - those being the figures I could find easily on IMDB) in the past four years. Michael Fassbender, eat your heart out. Either Warper has had the misfortune of persistently attending obscure films to find Eisenberg appearing in them, or he's just violently allergic to the sight of the jewfro.
    img_8610_roots-drummer-afro-vs-jewfro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a scene in Knocked Up, which I watched last night on TV, in which Rogen's character stops smiling, puts his foot down and tells everyone else how it's going to go. He definitely pulled it off, I thought, and that opens up possibilities for the future. I mean, I could take Will Ferrell seriously after Stranger Than Fiction, and I think Rogen can also break out of the stereotype if he's allowed to.

PS: it's Rogen, not Rogan, folks!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Met Seth Rogen for a press interview a couple of years ago when he was in Dublin promoting Pineapple Express - one of the nicest guys I ever met...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I used to like him but he's a very one dimensional actor. Much like Micheal Cera, he plays the same character over and over again. I found him funny at first in films like Knocked Up and Superbad but over time I found that he rather grated on me.

Having said that, I thought his samey character role was imperative to the balance in 50/50. Even though he plays that similar role all the time, this seemed a really genuine and believable performance in how somebody might deal with the news that a loved one has cancer.

He comes across as a really nice guy in interviews and what not but a very limited actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As an actor he sucks. But at the same time, he plays the type of guy who you'd see in everyday life. As opposed to the almost over the top guys you see in the movies. So to me, he kind've relates to the average joe and that's why I like him. He's one dimensional in the sense that he dosen't stray from that character. But at the same time he's basically just being himself, and in fairness the movies he does don't really require that much acting to begin with.

Advertisement