Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Thanks :-(

Options
  • 28-01-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just wanted to say Thank You to the 29A bus driver who would not pick me up at the terminus last night, at 9:25pm - leaving me to wait there for 25 mins for the next one.

Got to the bus stop in time, bus pulled up, stopped for 5 secs, doors did not open, then drove off, while I walked the length of the bus he went off, despite me being at the stop before him, even waving at him.
    Again, thank you for providing me with 25 mins of fresh air - and it was FRESH !

The next driver, on the 9:50pm service was very polite indeed and when I said what happened he said its common, and was not happy with the few drivers giving them all a bad name.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Chances are that telling this story here will have no impact. Have you considered telling Dublin Bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Privatize - that'd learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Write a letter of complaint to Dublin Bus. Giving out on the Internet will achieve nothing.

Moved to Commuting & Transport

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

dudara wrote: »
    Giving out on the Internet will achieve nothing.
    Except make you feel better :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

did you signal to the driver or did u just expect him to see you in the eyes in the back of his head,clown

• Advertisement

I thought CIE monitored the Commuting & Transport forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

juan.kerr wrote: »

They don't. But on the off chance that they do, they'd probably not sack or discipline drivers based on internet board posts from anonymous people :)

juan kerr as the name says i probably think you are one

I'd report you for that one but you're not worth it Stevie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He isn't, he is Fau. Juan is his big brother.

• Advertisement

so you are entitled to complain about dublin bus and comment on 3rd party complaints when you dont even know the full facts,any excuse to give out,il laugh if privatisation ever happened,cramped and clamped out buses,double or treble what fares are now,irregular times,haha would shut a lot of people like you up

so you are entitled to complain about dublin bus and comment on 3rd party complaints when you dont even know the full facts,any excuse to give out,il laugh if privatisation ever happened,cramped and clamped out buses,double or treble what fares are now,irregular times,haha would shut a lot of people like you up

I use the Luas and DART. I have been on a Dublin bus maybe twice in the last 5 years.

But as a taxpayer I subsidise it so an entitled to have an opinion.

Are you a CIE employee?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

dudara wrote: »
    Write a letter of complaint to Dublin Bus. Giving out on the Internet will achieve nothing.

Giving out on the internet will probably achieve more than a letter of complaint to Dublin Bus ever will.

Lapin wrote: »
    Giving out on the internet will probably achieve more than a letter of complaint to Dublin Bus ever will.

Yeah, they wouldn't have a great customer service reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

did you signal to the driver or did u just expect him to see you in the eyes in the back of his head,clown

dublinstevie banned for 3 days for personal abuse.

Tone down your posting when you return please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've used bus services that were cheaper, faster and with better quality buses than the CIE fleet.

In fact, in all my times of using public transport, Dublin Bus have consistently been the worst performer.

Some of the drivers are alright but I've had some very random experiences on Dublin Bus to the point that I avoid it at all costs. Most people I know, avoid it at all costs now we are old enough to have cars. Still it is sometimes the only option if you don't want to walk miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

I'm a regular user of DB and I hate them. the staff/company are stuck in a time warp, most of the drivers I see are prob over 45 and in the job years and don't like change, I'd say the union is called daily by staff because they "shouldn't have to do this and that",

That delays change in the company that needs to happen to meet its customer needs.

Although in the past few months some have been really nice and accomodating, going out of service and offering to drop you somewhere, but that was probably at time where there should of been a bus and they where heading home early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I smell a dublin bus employee here :D

Op your best bet is to address a letter of complaint to dublin bus. Though, likely nothing will come of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

giz_a_job wrote: »
    Just wanted to say Thank You to the 29A bus driver who would not pick me up at the terminus last night, at 9:25pm - leaving me to wait there for 25 mins for the next one.

Got to the bus stop in time, bus pulled up, stopped for 5 secs, doors did not open, then drove off, while I walked the length of the bus he went off, despite me being at the stop before him, even waving at him.
    Again, thank you for providing me with 25 mins of fresh air - and it was FRESH !
    instead of trying to break this down in to segments i'll highlight a few things O.P. were you or weren't you at the stop (A) on time and (B) when the bus pulled up. i'm really confused here as you seem to be contradicting yourself :rolleyes:. first you saying you walked the length of the bus me thinks the bus was there before you got to the stop then in the next breath you say "despite me being at the stop before him". i'm sorry to say but you dont make any sense here.
    as a bus driver we drive up to our terminus, wait for our time and if theres nobody at the stop we pull off. me thinks you were strolling up to the stop as the bus was there. driver has a look to see if anyone is at stop to which theres no one and drives off. makes perfect sense to me. driver might have seen someone walking up to the stop but it doesn't mean they want it, same as people standing at bus stops. theres been plenty of time where i've pulled into stops with people there only to find they dont want it. so i'm assuming because of your on mistake your blaming someone else i.e. the bus driver.
    they do throw the odd eye in here.
    But as a taxpayer I subsidise it so an entitled to have an opinion.
    i agree you are entitled to an opinion but you also came across as someone with the attitude of " i pay your wages crap" because "as a taxpayer I subsidise it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

instead of trying to break this down in to segments i'll highlight a few things O.P. were you or weren't you at the stop (A) on time and (B) when the bus pulled up. i'm really confused here as you seem to be contradicting yourself :rolleyes:. first you saying you walked the length of the bus me thinks the bus was there before you got to the stop then in the next breath you say "despite me being at the stop before him". i'm sorry to say but you dont make any sense here.
    as a bus driver we drive up to our terminus, wait for our time and if theres nobody at the stop we pull off. me thinks you were strolling up to the stop as the bus was there. driver has a look to see if anyone is at stop to which theres no one and drives off. makes perfect sense to me. driver might have seen someone walking up to the stop but it doesn't mean they want it, same as people standing at bus stops. theres been plenty of time where i've pulled into stops with people there only to find they dont want it. so i'm assuming because of your on mistake your blaming someone else i.e. the bus driver.

they do throw the odd eye in here.
    i agree you are entitled to an opinion but you also came across as someone with the attitude of " i pay your wages crap" because "as a taxpayer I subsidise it"

Think you are being pedantic here on a number of fronts.

Firstly, it seems fairly obvious to me that the OP was at the bus stop. However the bus did not stop exactly where OP was standing/sitting.

Rather it pulled up ten feet away, as buses often do. You will note that a bus stop is about five feet long, but that the space on the road allotted to a bus stop is about twenty foot long.....(cant believe i am writing this stuff out on a saturday night)......

My guess OP is that the driver just didnt spot you.

One point worth making, its not always enough to 'be' at a stop, you have to hail the driver too.....I've been at stops where a bus comes along and i just assume they will stop, but they pass me by.....I catch up at the next stop and say WTF?, and driver says 'you were just standing there, you never asked me to stop'.

I'd agree with follow-on driver, I think there are plenty of good drivers on Dublin bus, but there are a few a-holes out there too. To be honest, that doesnt surprise me, its a job for life with no incentives, and its not exactly winning the lotto ticket in the employment stakes.....

My bigger gripe with Dublin bus drivers is that they drive too fast, and freqently break red lights at pedestrian crossings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

thebman wrote: »
    I've used bus services that were cheaper, faster and with better quality buses than the CIE fleet.

Dublin Bus has many faults, but it actually has one of the best fleets in Europe. The majority of their buses are younger than 10 years and low floor. As a regular user, I find them to be in good condition. It's been years since I was on a bus broke down.

OP, you should contact Dublin Bus with details of your complaint, if the driver was in the wrong, it will stop them doing it again. I agree with Meanmachine, in that your description of what happened is a bit confusing, you should consider rewording it when complaining. Each bus has cameras fitted, which I'm sure will help to determine whether you were behind the bus, or standing at the door of it. The 29A is not the only bus to serve that stop, so if you were standing away from the bus the driver may have assumed you wanted the 104 which also stops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

25 mins? Jaysus, I'd love to see you miss a 65, two hours you would have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    Think you are being pedantic here on a number of fronts.

Firstly, it seems fairly obvious to me that the OP was at the bus stop. However the bus did not stop exactly where OP was standing/sitting.

Rather it pulled up ten feet away, as buses often do. You will note that a bus stop is about five feet long, but that the space on the road allotted to a bus stop is about twenty foot long.....(cant believe i am writing this stuff out on a saturday night)......

My guess OP is that the driver just didnt spot you.

One point worth making, its not always enough to 'be' at a stop, you have to hail the driver too.....I've been at stops where a bus comes along and i just assume they will stop, but they pass me by.....I catch up at the next stop and say WTF?, and driver says 'you were just standing there, you never asked me to stop'.

I'd agree with follow-on driver, I think there are plenty of good drivers on Dublin bus, but there are a few a-holes out there too. To be honest, that doesnt surprise me, its a job for life with no incentives, and its not exactly winning the lotto ticket in the employment stakes.....

My bigger gripe with Dublin bus drivers is that they drive too fast, and freqently break red lights at pedestrian crossings.
    i came back on here to say to the o.p. if they do have a legitimate case to ring clontarf depot immediately as it'll still be on video as to whether they do a have a case or not. tombo if you have a problem with bus drivers breaking red lights i suggest the next time it happens you ring the guards. as for driving to fast unless you have a speed camera or are able to see the drivers speedo theres no way of telling if the driver is driving to fast or as your coming across "speeding.". dont forget dublin buses are restricted in what speed they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BX 19 wrote: »
    Op your best bet is to address a letter of complaint to dublin bus. Though, likely nothing will come of it.

Nothing indeed, if they can't be bothered to reply to a complaint about dangerous driving when I've given them exact location, exact time, bus number, route number and reg and requested they check the footage from said bus they're hardly going to reply about about a bus not stopping at a stop :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

giz_a_job wrote: »

The next driver, on the 9:50pm service was very polite indeed and when I said what happened he said its common, and was not happy with the few drivers giving them all a bad name.

As a matter of interest Giz a Job,did you happen to note whether the bus was displaying a destination when it pulled away ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm a regular user of DB and I hate them. the staff/company are stuck in a time warp, most of the drivers I see are prob over 45 and in the job years and don't like change, I'd say the union is called daily by staff because they "shouldn't have to do this and that",

That delays change in the company that needs to happen to meet its customer needs.

Although in the past few months some have been really nice and accomodating, going out of service and offering to drop you somewhere, but that was probably at time where there should of been a bus and they where heading home early.

A most interesting,if a little bizzarre post,given that the age profile of Ireland as a whole is heading in a similar direction.

Is being "over 45" now being seen as problematic..?

It also appears to shjow that the poster has'nt been keeping up to speed with the pace of change within Dublin Bus in recent years.....with;) nary a strike in sight....

The more I read through it the more interesting I find the conclusions apparently reached...plenty of work for Signumd here I'll wager :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

i came back on here to say to the o.p. if they do have a legitimate case to ring clontarf depot immediately as it'll still be on video as to whether they do a have a case or not. tombo if you have a problem with bus drivers breaking red lights i suggest the next time it happens you ring the guards. as for driving to fast unless you have a speed camera or are able to see the drivers speedo theres no way of telling if the driver is driving to fast or as your coming across "speeding.". dont forget dublin buses are restricted in what speed they can do.

there's a pedestrian lights on the northstrand, just before the bridge going over the canal and i'm half thinking about bringing my own camera over at evening rush hour and photographing the buses breaking the pedestrian lights.

I know all drivers do it, but its particularly frustrating to me when bus drivers do it since they should be saftey concious, and because they are representatives of the state.....and I see it at least a few times a week at that particular junction.

Of course you are right about 'speeding', but to my mind there is a hell of a difference between a car going a 50kph and a double decker bus at that speed, there are speed limits and what is safe.

Once again, the new speed limits in the city centre are observed by nobody, and that includes bus drivers.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A most interesting,if a little bizzarre post,given that the age profile of Ireland as a whole is heading in a similar direction.

Is being "over 45" now being seen as problematic..?

It also appears to shjow that the poster has'nt been keeping up to speed with the pace of change within Dublin Bus in recent years.....with;) nary a strike in sight....

The more I read through it the more interesting I find the conclusions apparently reached...plenty of work for Signumd here I'll wager :)

lol fair point.....most of the drivers that tear about my area in their boy racers are 'under 45' (and 'under 25' for that matter). i will take a 45+ yrs driver every time,.

there was a strike there about two years ago.

Nothing indeed, if they can't be bothered to reply to a complaint about dangerous driving when I've given them exact location, exact time, bus number, route number and reg and requested they check the footage from said bus they're hardly going to reply about about a bus not stopping at a stop :mad:

I would never complain to Dublin Bus about dangerous driving. If i was going to do it, it would be to the Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Tombo2000 wrote: »

there was a strike there about two years ago.

I havent been on the gate since 1999.

Advertisement