Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2's new 48 Discrimination

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Really don't understand people getting their knickers in a twist over this. My local Woodies has 10% for all over 60's on a Thursday. IMC do a discount for unemployed people. Theres loads of examples.

Yeah but this one favours young people and we can't have that.
    Insurance companies discount older drivers because they are less of a risk of having an accident.
    Mobile carriers discount young people cos they call and text constantly and are less of a risk of ringing up whining about not being able to use their phone like the elderly do.
    Anyway anyone can get this so chill out lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

This is illegal.
    Why do so many people not even read the Act; browse the Equality Authority's website; or do a little bit of googling, before coming to a view. It seems that having all of the relevant information at one's fingertips actually makes people more confident in their unfounded opinions ..... yet lazier when it comes to actually looking for information. A dangerous combination. They see something that appears unequal and shout 'aha, a breach of equality' without first checking to see what 'equality' actually means in law.

The fact that this was a policy advertised from the rooftops by O2, who I suspect are well lawyered-up, and would not fancy the publicity of being held to be breaching equality law, should have given anyone with an ounce of sense pause for thought.

In any case, it is quite clear that providers of goods and services, providers of accommodation and clubs are allowed to impose and maintain a reasonable preferential fee, charge or rate in respect of anything offered to persons together with their children, married couples, persons in a specific age group and persons with a disability. The type of activity that 02 are engaged in is clearly covered by various sections of the Equal Status Acts, especially section 16 and arguably section 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lovetorun

Trilla wrote: »
    clap clap... cheers for your input.

you are very welcome sweetie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Asks for date of birth when registering the sim. I might have got mine a bit wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

On a side note, you have 60 months being 18 to 22.

Should they not have called it 60?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Triangla wrote: »
    On a side note, you have 60 months being 18 to 22.

Should they not have called it 60?

its not inclusive of your 22nd year.18 TO 22, i.e. it ends as soon as you turn 22.so thats 18,19,20 and 21,48 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mawsy

Thanks Victor (and a few other folk) for the unbiased legal info. had to sift through a bit of some serious misinformation, but got there in the end :).

All I can see it as, is a quick and easy cheap scam, to get young people on the 02 network (probably not make alot of profit while doing so) then keeping them there when the contracts up. If they let everyone on, then I guess profits would be down... still doesnt make it right though.

They'd have been better off having a "willy wonka" style "first 20,000 school students over 18 to join gets in on our lovely new limited network". something like that. Not sure I'd have minded that as much. But they've definitely advertised it poorly. It seems very ageist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just a question on the actual pricing of this,
    It works like this. Every month you need to pay a €10 membership fee. The 48 membership covers you for unlimited calls and texts to any mobile network*, at any time. To get your great value calls and texts you need to top up by €10 and then go to Buy Stuff to pay your membership. If you have a credit or debit card you can pay your membership straight from your card. But when your membership runs out, you’re out of the 48 community and you won’t get your unlimited calls and texts – so don’t be left in the cold. To get back in you’ll need to top up and pay your membership, then you can get chatting.

Is this not €20 a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think they mean use the top-up to pay for the membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 foranyxcus

With regard to advertising, the Equal Status Acts state that a person shall
    not publish or display, or cause to be published or displayed, an
    advertisement which indicates an intention to discriminate, harass,
    sexually harass, or might reasonably be understood as indicating such an
    intention.

48months is clearly in breach of this provision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 prety

I would not recommend this network. Got mine few days ago and topup 10euro. I can not make any phone call to any network except freecall to 1800xxxxxx. Be careful, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blu3i

prety wrote: »
    I would not recommend this network. Got mine few days ago and topup 10euro. I can not make any phone call to any network except freecall to 1800xxxxxx. Be careful, guys.

that's because you only topped up u didn't pay the membership, go to the website log in and click pay membership you can then use the 10 top up to pay your membership
    this video cleares alot of problems up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Hey I'm buying a new phone and I'm on the 48 network. Whats the best thing to do? Buy any phone and get it unlocked? :/.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

lovetorun wrote: »
    i think its a genius idea!! Well done o2 for lowering prices, everyone who whinges about it is just jealous that they are not students anymore....

student loan discounts have been around forever...you dont hear people whinging that the banks are agist....its just advertisement!!

Great , great , great idea!! All the people in that age group are meteor die hards and it is going to take an amazing idea like o2's to rob them...

Well done o2!!:)

Student discounts are not age specific, I am 35 an can get student discounts, all i have to do is show my ID card.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ShaneFinneran

Everyone is 18-22 at some stage therefore there is no ground for discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Everyone is 18-22 at some stage therefore there is no ground for discrimination.

It's discrimination on the ground of age.

Legally, you the only distinctions you can make are minor vs adult when it comes to provision of services.

from : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/equality_authority.html
    "
    The Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011 and the Equal Status Acts 2000-2011 outlaw discrimination in employment, vocational training, advertising, collective agreements, the provision of goods and services. Specifically, goods and services include professional or trade services; health services; access to accommodation and education; facilities for banking, transport and cultural activities. Under the equality legislation discrimination based on any one of 9 distinct grounds is unlawful. These grounds are:
    • Family status
    • Sexual orientation
    • Religion
    • Age (does not apply to a person under 16)
    • Disability
    • Race
    • Membership of the Traveller community.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Just spotted this thread and was wondering about motorbike insurance providers that discriminate against under 25s. There are two motorbike insurance providers who will not even quote you if you are under 25, I am speaking from experience. Is this legal and if so, how is it legal? Surely it is classed as discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Equal Status acts have an exemption for financial products based on risk where it can be shown that statistical or actuarial data supports differential treatment. In your case, it seems they're using this to exempt all applicants under a certain age.

However, according to the National Consumer Agency, they must give you a reason in writing if you ask them to, and if you are refused by three insurers you can go to the Irish Insurance Federation. You can get more info about that here - http://www.nca.ie/nca/car-insurance#refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ShaneFinneran

Solair wrote: »

Legally, you the only distinctions you can make are minor vs adult when it comes to provision of services.

from : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/equality_authority.html
    "
    The Employment Equality Acts 1998-2011 and the Equal Status Acts 2000-2011 outlaw discrimination in employment, vocational training, advertising, collective agreements, the provision of goods and services. Specifically, goods and services include professional or trade services; health services; access to accommodation and education; facilities for banking, transport and cultural activities. Under the equality legislation discrimination based on any one of 9 distinct grounds is unlawful. These grounds are:
    • Family status
    • Sexual orientation
    • Religion
    • Disability
    • Race
    "

If that's the case why aren't they being sued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Has anyone actually been denied the service for being outside the age bracket?

Going by the thread in Bargain Alerts anyone can sign up, the 18 - 22 seems to just be marketing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Solair wrote: »

"
    • Family status
    • Sexual orientation
    • Religion
    • Disability
    • Race
    "

If that's the case why aren't they being sued
    Because it is not illegal, read the act, s 16 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mollyxmagoo

hi, just saw this thread + wanted to get your opinion ...i'm a full time student, aged 30 - my local pool / gym has student membership rate for full time students with valid student ID card - only catch is you have to be 18-23...any opinions? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Read the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mollyxmagoo

i did! seems to be people saying yes and no...i'm guessing that it's not discrimination so...thanks!

Advertisement