Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2's new 48 Discrimination

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭

o2 have started a new mvno but it's only for people aged between 18 and 22. Can a network operator openly discriminate against someone because of their age and not allow them service.

From the website "new phone network only for those aged 18 to 22" To me that's age discrimination. Is it legal?

Website here : https://www.48months.ie/ I'd also question are they allowed to offer services yet as they doesn't seem to have a license listed on the comreg site, not those their website have terms & conditions but they are requesting data from people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

Student Discount... age restricted products... Various travel cards... Banking, young persons accounts... Insurance costs... It might not be fair, but I can't imagine there's any legal grounds for a discrimination case. Age specific pricing / marketing / deals have been around for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's a Telecoms operator. I'd presume it would have to be open access like and utility. ESB can not say well were not taking people under 30 as their less likely to pay their bill. Nothing you listed above is a utility but I do get your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What about 25+ car insurance?
    As much as I agree ethically, I think the law is on their side. Though it's why I refuse to get a quote from 25+ now that I am over 25 as I dislike discrimination. I will also prefer a pub that is not "over 21" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

The way the law looks at this sort of this is that its not "discriminating" but instead"benefiting" one class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Very unusual to see any company discriminating in a way that benefits young people, almost always the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

It's being advertised as exclusively for 18 - 22, but it's a pay as you go service, so is someone actually asked for their age/date of birth? And if so, are they actually denied the service if they don't fall within the age bracket?

I tried to look at their terms and conditions earlier but the page was blank, so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

The question needs to firstly be are they actually age discriminating?

I don't think they are.
    1) They don't ask for date of birth anywhere.
    2) They mealy aim at the 18-22 age group.
    3) They offer vague statements about age targeting. They dont explicitly say they are restricting age groups in black and white.
    4) There is nothing about age in the T&C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Student Discount...
    Not a discriminatory ground under the Equal Status Act. I went to TCD age 36.
    Various travel cards...
    Are there many? I doubt their legality.
    Banking, young persons accounts...
    Tend to be aimed at the under 18s, which is legal.
    It might not be fair, but I can't imagine there's any legal grounds for a discrimination case.
    Equal Status Act seems to say otherwise.
    Age specific pricing / marketing / deals have been around for quite a while.
    This doesn't necessarily make them legal.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    What about 25+ car insurance?
    Insurance and similar products are an exception to the Equal Status Act.
    I will also prefer a pub that is not "over 21" etc.
    Again an exception to the Equal Status Act, provided the policy is clearly stated and implemented in a non-discriminatory manner.
    NoQuarter wrote: »
    The way the law looks at this sort of this is that its not "discriminating" but instead"benefiting" one class.
    Eh, no. Benefiting only one class is discriminating against the other class.
    Fungus wrote: »
    The question needs to firstly be are they actually age discriminating?
    3) They offer vague statements about age targeting. They dont explicitly say they are restricting age groups in black and white.
    "we are 48, the new phone network only for those aged 18 to 22." - what ever about T&Cs, this would seem to suggest that others aren't welcome, although is it on a par with Yorkie's "Not for girls"?

However, in the T&Cs is says: https://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/terms
    3.2 We reserve the right to limit the availability of the 48 Services for people in certain age categories (details of the age categories which qualify to use the 48 Services are published on www.48months.ie).

Further down is the interesting
    4.8 We do not offer Age Restricted Services as part of the 48 Services.
    “Age Restricted Services” means services of an adult nature which are generally specified for use by people aged 18 or over.

Who regulates the content of the equal status act? Is there a quango that looks after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Read sections 5, 14 and more of the Equal Status Act - many reasons why these kinds of promotions to the 'yoof' are likely to be entirely legal.

• Advertisement

drkpower wrote: »
    Read section ...14
    Eh, no. That is designed to deal with groups who have suffered systematic discrimination and hte putting in place of schemes to rectify past discrimination, e.g. creating a training and employment scheme for say Travellers.

Whilst, I still think it is clear that anyone of any age can sign up, the marketing statements are clearly discrimination by Telefonica.

I have contacted The Equality Authority as per the below.
    Hi,

I am hoping you can help with the below.

Specifically, I wish to raise issues with regard to deliberate and unnecessary age discrimination by Telefonica Ireland. Telefonica Ireland trade as "O2" and "48". 48 is a mobile operator who's website is here: http://www.48months.ie/

On the 48 website homepage they state "The new mobile phone network only for those aged 18 to 22".

In their terms and conditions, they state "3.2 We reserve the right to limit the availability of the 48 Services for people in certain age categories (details of the age categories which qualify to use the 48 Services are published on www.48months.ie)". https://www.48months.ie/boiler-plate/terms

I believe that these marketing and T&C statements are a clear breach of the Equality Status Act.

Is this something you could address directly with Telefonica?

Thanks in advance,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

I find it hard to believe that that sleazy link is getting considered under equal status legislation:eek:

Actually, reading section 16, it appears to be permissible once the discount is "reasonable", however that may be defined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lovetorun

i think its a genius idea!! Well done o2 for lowering prices, everyone who whinges about it is just jealous that they are not students anymore....

student loan discounts have been around forever...you dont hear people whinging that the banks are agist....its just advertisement!!

Great , great , great idea!! All the people in that age group are meteor die hards and it is going to take an amazing idea like o2's to rob them...

Well done o2!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If you ask 48months (o2) about it they will say anyone can get the deal, its just targeted at young people. There is a thread over on Bargain Alerts about it, i got it for my wife and she's older than 22.

lovetorun wrote: »
    i think its a genius idea!! Well done o2 for lowering prices, everyone who whinges about it is just jealous that they are not students anymore....
    You do realise that by offering one group a discount that overall, everyone gets charged more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

This a "genius" piece of marketing. We're talking about it - people I know are talking about it. Other operators are talking about it.

Any statements they have made are simply invitations to treat - I've got mine ordered I'll let you know if they ever ask for a date of birth. I'm much older than 22.

oooh to be under 22 again /sigh :P

Hmmm just found this

3. The information we collectWe collect such information as:i.Email address;
    ii.Email addresses that you choose provide to us;
    iii.Your name;
    iv.Your name;
    v.Billing address;
    vi.Delivery address;
    vii.Telephone number;
    viii.Your use of the Services including but not limited to phone numbers and/or email addresses of calls, texts, MMS, emails and other communications made and received by you and the date, duration, time and cost of such communications, your searching, browsing history (including web sites you visit) and location data, address location for billing, delivery, installation or as provided by individual, phone location;
    ix.How your conduct and manage your account(s) with us; and
    x.Debit or credit card details, banking details and other payment information.

Why they need your name twice I don't know!

oooh and

3. Providing you with the 48 Services3.1 We will immediately connect you to the 48 Services as soon as your application is completed and authorised.3.2 We reserve the right to limit the availability of the 48 Services for people in certain age categories (details of the age categories which qualify to use the 48 Services are published on www.48months.ie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This a "genius" piece of marketing. We're talking about it - people I know are talking about it. Other operators are talking about it.

Any statements they have made are simply invitations to treat - I've got mine ordered I'll let you know if they ever ask for a date of birth. I'm much older than 22.

Hmmm just found this

iii.Your name;
    iv.Your name;
    v.Billing address;
    vi.Delivery address;
    vii.Telephone number;
    viii.Your use of the Services including but not limited to phone numbers and/or email addresses of calls, texts, MMS, emails and other communications made and received by you and the date, duration, time and cost of such communications, your searching, browsing history (including web sites you visit) and location data, address location for billing, delivery, installation or as provided by individual, phone location;

oooh and

3. Providing you with the 48 Services3.1 We will immediately connect you to the 48 Services as soon as your application is completed and authorised.3.2 We reserve the right to limit the availability of the 48 Services for people in certain age categories (details of the age categories which qualify to use the 48 Services are published on www.48months.ie).

Let us know if you get rejected. I foresee an equality complaint.

Hmmm just found this

iii.Your name;
    iv.Your name;
    v.Billing address;
    vi.Delivery address;
    vii.Telephone number;

oooh and

If you read the full thread on the bargain alerts forum you will see 48 are spot checking the DOB of users by requesting a copy of their passport. Clearly, age discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Just to let everyone know that 48 does carry out age spot checks, in the form of a letter asking for a photocopy of your passport clearly showing your date of birth.

Apologies fungus didn't see you already had this written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Whilst, I still think it is clear that anyone of any age can sign up, the marketing statements are clearly discrimination by Telefonica.

I have contacted The Equality Authority as pe
    r the below.
    what did they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If you read the full thread on the bargain alerts forum you will see 48 are spot checking the DOB of users by requesting a copy of their passport. Clearly, age discrimination.

Can't wait for that argument lol!

I got this email today.

to me

Order confirmation
    Hi *******,
    Thanks. We gotyour order for a 48 sim card. We'll let you know as soon as it's in thepost. If you need to unlock your phone, now's the time to do it. There'sa clever unlock guide here,take a look around.
    Meanwhile, thecrew are running a background check on you, to ensure you're proper 48material. Won't be long.
    Just kidding.(Or are we?)
    Go Conquer.
    48 crew

I especially like the last few lines!

what did they say?

They did not reply to 2 seperate emails. Will give them a wee while longer before I try and escalate.

Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that by offering one group a discount that overall, everyone gets charged more?
    Oh stop giving out about it!!!

so you are the whingers who phone into mobile phone companies and run up the wait times hahaha

get over yourselves.....you have to accept you are just too old!!

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lovetorun wrote: »
    so you are the whingers who phone into mobile phone companies and run up the wait times hahaha

get over yourselves.....you have to accept you are just too old!!

:D:D:D:D

clap clap... cheers for your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Really don't understand people getting their knickers in a twist over this. My local Woodies has 10% for all over 60's on a Thursday. IMC do a discount for unemployed people. Theres loads of examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Really don't understand people getting their knickers in a twist over this. My local Woodies has 10% for all over 60's on a Thursday.
    This is illegal. Say they had a discount for white people on a Thursday instead.
    Vuzuggu wrote: »
    IMC do a discount for unemployed people. Theres loads of examples.
    This is legal, having no job is not something you are, and not one of the legal reasons to not discriminate.

just applied, we'll see how this pans out.

• Advertisement

This is illegal. Say they had a discount for white people on a Thursday instead.
    Read section 16 of the act.

Advertisement