Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

breathn wrote: »

Cheers for that link.

I now need the network MEP code :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Oracle wrote: »
    You can receive calls free while roaming in EU if you buy a roaming add on.
    It's €3.50 and gives you 10 minutes of roaming calls, free to receive calls and lasts 1 month. So buy it just before you leave: http://48months.ie/pricing/

Also: http://help.48months.ie/entries/20880822-things-to-do-before-you-leave-the-country

what is the 10 minutes of roaming mean ???

free to recieve so what network will i be on ???

also for Meteor it will cost me 25 euro , 20 to top up meteor phone here in ireland and i can ring unlimited to the Meteor mobile for free and 5 euro to put in the meteor phone i bring to spain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

There have been a lot of posts in this thread claiming that because 48 uses the same infrastructure as O2, that the coverage and speeds will be identical.

48's 3G data speeds are NOT the same as O2's, and are far inferior.

I've queried this with 48, and here is their response:
    48 uses the O2 radio network but largely uses its own infrastructure for calls, SMS and data. 48 customers can avail of 3G where O2 3G coverage is available, and EDGE or GPRS where available in other areas. In 3G areas, the maximum speeds which can be achieved vary from those which, can be achieved on O2.
    O2 uses an enhanced 3G protocol called HSDPA, sometimes called “3.5G”. HSDPA gives data speeds of up to 21Mb in many areas and also help ensure better data speeds when there are multiple users in a cell. It’s worth noting that some phones, such as the iPhone use “3G” to indicate both regular 3G and HSDPA networks so it may not be easy to tell which protocol your phone is using. 48 are currently considering a possible upgrade to HSDPA in the future.

In addition, 48 data traffic is routed over their own links to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

dilallio wrote: »
    There have been a lot of posts in this thread claiming that because 48 uses the same infrastructure as O2, that the coverage and speeds will be identical.

48 uses the O2 radio network but largely uses its own infrastructure for calls, SMS and data. 48 customers can avail of 3G where O2 3G coverage is available, and EDGE or GPRS where available in other areas. In 3G areas, the maximum speeds which can be achieved vary from those which, can be achieved on O2.
    O2 uses an enhanced 3G protocol called HSDPA, sometimes called “3.5G”. HSDPA gives data speeds of up to 21Mb in many areas and also help ensure better data speeds when there are multiple users in a cell. It’s worth noting that some phones, such as the iPhone use “3G” to indicate both regular 3G and HSDPA networks so it may not be easy to tell which protocol your phone is using. 48 are currently considering a possible upgrade to HSDPA in the future.

In addition, 48 data traffic is routed over their own links to the internet.
    Yep it's limited to 2meg which is fine for most things. Works ok with netflix :p

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

dilallio wrote: »

I get a minimum of 500ms ping (often up to 1000+ms ping) and hardly ever get above 0.2mbit/sec downlink speed.

I wonder if they use the same infrastructure as tesco mobile because there are a lot of data complaints with them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

All numbers porting from O2 are on hold, not a good sign methinks:
    Unfortunately due to issues with O2 at the minute we are unable to complete any number transfers. All transfers from O2 are currently on hold. As soon as we have any further updates we will let you know.

http://help.48months.ie/home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

No I don't think so .... they've ported all outstanding number transfers from O2 yesterday morning. Any future number ports from O2 are on hold ... at least thats what I think it means. I also think they're covering themselves over the weekend. ie. they ain't doing nothin' till Monday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I get a minimum of 500ms ping (often up to 1000+ms ping) and hardly ever get above 0.2mbit/sec downlink speed.

I get much better speeds and the ping time isn't material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I wonder if they use the same infrastructure as tesco mobile because there are a lot of data complaints with them too.
    I also had this exact issue, logged it and they fixed it eventually. Speeds improved but still only one third of that compared to O2 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Am I ye only one experiencing awful coverage?? I had perfect coverage but it's all totally gone to the dogs now!

augusta24 wrote: »
    Am I ye only one experiencing awful coverage?? I had perfect coverage but it's all totally gone to the dogs now!
    I get this too... It's grand one day the next it won't pick up any bit of signal. It also says tesco mobile is the carrier :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I've noticed the poor coverage as well over the last week or so.
    Initially thought it was my location in Wicklow, but I was in Blanchardstown shopping centre today and couldn't get a signal.
    Luckily, I still have my O2 phone which was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

CH3OH wrote: »
    I've noticed the poor coverage as well over the last week or so.
    Initially thought it was my location in Wicklow, but I was in Blanchardstown shopping centre today and couldn't get a signal.
    Luckily, I still have my O2 phone which was ok.

That's really odd as 48 months operates on the O2 network. Bad netork signal on 48 should = bad network signal on O2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

my coverage is great, my network provider is always listed as Tesco Mobile on my phone though, which is a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

My coverage was always awful, getting cut off at home all the time.. Only really use it for texts tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Dazza wrote: »
    Works ok with netflix :p

Cool, thought there was a 3gb cap?

moodrater wrote: »
    Dazza wrote: »
    Works ok with netflix :p

Cool, thought there was a 3gb cap?
    There is.. Im not too sure how much I used. I only used it a few times when im away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anyone over 22 been able to get this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Anyone having any trouble sending texts or anything?

Texts wont send for me for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Anyone having any trouble sending texts or anything?

Texts wont send for me for some reason

Same here, seemed to cut out at around 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

very hit and miss. They seem to have their fair share of problems not to mention the smart ass replies you get if you have to email them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Kevin! wrote: »
    Same here, seemed to cut out at around 12
    back working for me now...

only blip for me since I joined

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Don't think it is legal.

But many people older than 22 have signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Don't think it is legal.

But many people older than 22 have signed up.
    I'm not on about the signing up, I'm talking about the job offering itself,

"Be part of the 48 age group (between 18 & 22)"

Surely they cant limit a job to that, is that not age discrimination? Not interested in signing up myself (I'm in the age bracket) just wondering.:confused:

If it were a real job advert it would be discriminatory in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

Mick_Grif wrote: »

i posted the first comment lol ,

i did find their service crap so didnt continue using it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If it were a real job advert it would be discriminatory in nature.

Whether it is or not, you can be sure they are going after the over 22s.

Advertisement