Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in Irish Rail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Does anyone know are there figures available for the number of female staff working outside of an office environment in irish rail and how does it compare to other industries?
    Transport and construction/engineering are male dominated, but not exclusively male.

I'm not sure if I have seen and female tram drivers, but RPA / Veolia do employ quite a few women in CSOs, general customer service, communications, admin and engineering roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I have only ever seen women working in the booking offices and on the trains as host and have never seen female track staff or station staff/flag women. I have also never seen female ticket checkers/guards or female drivers but I don't use the dart much.

Does anyone know are there figures available for the number of female staff working outside of an office environment in irish rail and how does it compare to other industries?

Don't have numbers, but seen or am aware of female drivers/LC keepers (a dying breed these days)/Station Managers/Depotpersons/Engineers/Revenue Protection on IE. As an aside; grades like Porter/Stationmaster/Booking clerk/Guard are rather archaic terms these days, and even Checker is on the way out.
    Not aware of any in the physical side of perway but I guess that's down to the heavy manual labour (well, much reduced nowadays with technology) of that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

I've seen a few female's operating Darts mainly in Connolly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I have seen a female driver on the Tralee route several times. I also met a female engineer at Buttevant before Xmas where the new bridge was constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 909er

First woman to work on Per Way was somewhere near Claremorris, if memory serves me right, in 1990s. First female train driver was a Tralee woman in late 1990s. Quite a few Civil Engineers are female, and at top level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

There are now two female locomotive drivers in Irish Rail - one drives between Maynooth & Rosslare and the other is based in Cork.

marko99 wrote: »
    There are now two female locomotive drivers in Irish Rail - one drives between Maynooth & Rosslare and the other is based in Cork.

Yep. I was on the 15:15 Tralee to Mallow on Tuesday and it was operated by a female driver. One of the new 2011 ICRs, can't remember which one exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

marko99 wrote: »

One drives the dart as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

There's a female ticket checker on the Dublin Sligo line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

There are plenty of women working in Irish Rail, I worked with 4/5 different female engineers while I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Seen a female driver on the dart this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I better hurry and create a topic - Men in Irish Rail.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get a grip people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Perhaps the OP might like to recognise that he was actually wrong about this - this whole thread is really a load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Vahevala wrote: »
    I better hurry and create a topic - Men in Irish Rail.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get a grip people.

Or Animals In Irish Rail! The uk have a few...

http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/featuring/wk-rail04a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

As mentioned by a few people there are a handful of female drivers.

The longest serving is down in Tralee. Second is based in Fairview and works the Dart. Despite belief, there is only one female Dart driver, about 7 years driving now. It was believed at the time that this appointment was to save face for IE as there was a distinct lack or female workers on the operational side in Connolly. Not sure how true that is.

Finally, a new lady has started working out of Connolly on the Maynooth/M3 Parkway routes. I had her driving me late last summer with her mentor driver, so she must be fully passed out by now.

When there was guard's jobs, there was an English lady who worked out of Heuston and a very nice women used to work the Mk2s out of Sligo years ago.

The station master's at Athlone, Claremorris and Westport are women. I have seen female engineers.

However overall it is very low on the operational side of things, but plenty of women keeping the railway going behind the scenes.

.BM

Advertisement