Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women in Irish Rail

Options
  • 27-01-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Are there many Women working in Irish Rail outside of those working in offices and selling tickets and cleaners? It occurred to me that i have never in all my travels seen a female driver, ticket checker, RPU agent, flag person, station mistress, porter or even a booking office clerk(except in Connolly and Heuston)!

Are Irish Rail actively promoting equality in their employment policies or do they in any way prevent women from entering trackside jobs for some safety or traditional "railway" reason?

It would appear with so few women working on the railways that it is eother not a good environment for women through bullying etc and any that seek employment and are successful quickly leave for a better life or that it is just a chauvanist male dominated area where women are not permitted to work at all?

Is there anywhere to find figures for the total workforce excluding office and booking office staff and what percentage of these are female?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Theres a lady in Dun Laoghaire station, mainly behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Are you just looking to pick a fight that isnt your business? Hard to see why this would be a bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

Funny you should mention this - I only occasionally use the trains these days, but I thought I saw a female train driver coming out of the drivers cabin couple of weeks ago (on the northern route).

PS: I could be wrong - it could have been a feminine looking man for all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

I travel Maynooth to Grand Canal and now that you mention it OP I've never seen a cashier in Maynooth, at least not in the hours I travel. I've seen female staff at Connolly and one I think at GCD.

I don't think I've ever seen a female train driver :eek:

I'm sure they've a gender equality policy, it's a state body after all. But it's a kind of a 'huh I never noticed' moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are there many Women working in Irish Rail outside of those working in offices and selling tickets and cleaners? It occurred to me that i have never in all my travels seen a female driver, ticket checker, RPU agent, flag person, station mistress, porter or even a booking office clerk(except in Connolly and Heuston)!

I have seen all of the above, maybe you need to widen your travels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have seen all of the above, maybe you need to widen your travels.

You've seen a porter!!! :eek: Gone for decades AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

Used to travel from Dublin to Cork regularly and definitely saw female staff on the trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are certainly a few female train drivers and the station managers in Claremorris and Westport are certainly female also.

Some of the train hosts on both the Belfast and Cork routes are female.

But why let the reality get in the way of some long-established prejudices?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was literally about to post the same as Ixflyer (train host on the Cork train and station manager in Westport).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Don't think I have ever seen a male worker at Monasterevin station - it appears to be run by 2 ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

corktina wrote: »
    Are you just looking to pick a fight that isnt your business? Hard to see why this would be a bother to you.

Hard for many people,but this is Boards,and therefore the normal rules of engagement do not apply......

There are many things which stimulate peoples juices and Foggy_Lad is a well proven example of somebody who has a very full engagement with all forms of Public Transport,it's passengers,staff and vehicles.

All that being said I would Imagine articles such as these may well have stimulated Foggy's creative cortex to the extent of climbing the highest tree to find examples of despicable conduct....

http://bullybehindyou.blogspot.com/2009/04/news-bullying-and-harassment-rife-in.html

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=52267

Apart from that,I suspect Ireland's Public Transport must be operating well today..? :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

positron wrote: »
    Funny you should mention this - I only occasionally use the trains these days, but I thought I saw a female train driver coming out of the drivers cabin couple of weeks ago (on the northern route).

PS: I could be wrong - it could have been a feminine looking man for all I know.

No, there's definitely a female driver based out of Connolly, she operated an M3 Parkway service I was on yesterday, and have seen her leaving cabs at Connolly. Fairly sure she's new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

For a start, some of the jobs you listed are done by the same person and there hasn't been a porter in decades. I'm not sure what a "flag person" is.

You also say you only see women working in offices and selling tickets and then go on to say you've never seen a female booking office clerk :confused:

Anyway, there are a lot of women working as gate keepers, a lot working backroom clerical, a few drivers, a few station mangers, i know a few women in the signal and electric division doing infrastructure work and most definitely a good few female booking office staff.

I have never see a woman working in the per way gangs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

and cleaners?

My perception is that all cleaning is done by contractors staffed by foreign nationals, not IE staff. And they have all been male from what I've seen.
    do they in any way prevent women from entering trackside jobs for some safety or traditional "railway" reason?

I suspect the reason is actually a lack of interest in applying to those trackside jobs, similar to the dearth of female firefighters, miners, oil-platform workers, and so on. Only this week a train I was on had an emergency stop to avoid hitting a patrol ganger.

Having said that, I have seen female engineers trackside a couple of times, consulting on planned works. Oh, and if you watch the video125 Dublin Cork Driver Eye View and WRC Driver Eye View, there was a female gatekeeper at Emly and another at Killonan, possibly more, but there were segments specifically filmed for those two crossings.
    It would appear with so few women working on the railways that it is eother not a good environment for women through bullying etc

Or alternatively, women just don't have any interest in working on the railways. That's a possibility too, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There are a number of female engineers, including at one point a female Chief Civil Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've seen a few female train drivers on the DART before. It is very, very rare to see them I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

quietriot wrote: »
    Used to travel from Dublin to Cork regularly and definitely saw female staff on the trains.

I know there are female train hosts and also lots of female staff working for network catering but my question was more about those working on the more physical side of the jobs including those employed laying and repairing track and engineers working on trains in inchicore, Portlaoise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    There are a number of female engineers, including at one point a female Chief Civil Engineer.
    How could we have forgotten?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65248462
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66025019

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

There are female drives both on the dart and on the commuter trains.
    Plenty of female staff in connolly as well.

I once saw a female driver in Tralee station, she had just arrived in from Dublin (or Mallow maybe?) on a 201 and was changing ends. I'm also aware of a few female DART drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So aside from cleaners, guards, ticket checkers, drivers, gatekeepers, booking clerks and engineers are there any women working in Irish Rail ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

We need to start giving girls trains as Christmas/birthday presents to stimulate their interest in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

parsi wrote: »
    So aside from cleaners, guards, ticket checkers, drivers, gatekeepers, booking clerks and engineers are there any women working in Irish Rail ?

What types of other women were you looking for, rather than stated as above?

Is it women who are in the senior management of Irish Rail or women doing contract work from Corporate Communications?

:confused:

BTW, I also had an experience of being answered by a woman on the phone while I was asking for the price of a train ticket.

Is it women who are in the senior management of Irish Rail or women doing contract work from Corporate Communications?

What did the Romans ever do for us ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

BTW, I also had an experience of being answered by a woman on the phone while I was asking for the price of a train ticket.
    I have only ever seen women working in the booking offices and on the trains as host and have never seen female track staff or station staff/flag women. I have also never seen female ticket checkers/guards or female drivers but I don't use the dart much.

Does anyone know are there figures available for the number of female staff working outside of an office environment in irish rail and how does it compare to other industries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

as it happens, we just watched LOB on dvd this afternoon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The former station master for all stations from Maynooth to Drumcondra was a woman; I believe she was promoted from that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

A woman called Bernie often works the Cork train! :P

corktina wrote: »

as it happens, we just watched LOB on dvd this afternoon

A fine film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Advertisement