Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT then fix or Fix then NCT?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

teednab-el wrote: »
    Exacty you hit the nail on the head there. I had to get other parts replaced as so the car could withstand high reving. I agree things had to be done anyway but they had to be done before going through nct test as those guys would dog the s*it out of the car. It was a precaution mOre than anything.

Ah come on, the NCT cannot rev a car any more then its designed rev limit and have no reason to continuously rev it that high anyway.

If a timing belt failed while the NCT are testing a car, then it would have failed on the road anyway. Revving a car while stationary is putting much less strain on an engine and components then accelerating hard on the road.

You should hear the noise of a 130bhp tdi revved to the last. It's not a nice noise believe me and this engine has been looked after by previous owner and myself with regular servicing oil and filters changed every 6000miles. That extreme revving ain't good. Luckily I always take it for a good long drive before the nct. Limit the chances of damage to engine. Can you imagine if the engine was cold and that high revving was done. Chronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You should hear the noise of a 130bhp tdi revved to the last. It's not a nice noise believe me and this engine has been looked after by previous owner and myself with regular servicing oil and filters changed every 6000miles. That extreme revving ain't good. Luckily I always take it for a good long drive before the nct. Limit the chances of damage to engine. Can you imagine if the engine was cold and that high revving was done. Chronic.

I agree, revving any cold engine is bad practice, but the NCT are not allowed to do the smoke test on a diesel engine unless the engine temperature is up to the correct level.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Can you imagine if the engine was cold and that high revving was done. Chronic.

Why would the engine still be cold? We are using the car's OBD system to get a temperature and rpm reading, and the test software will not let you go ahead with the diesel test, unless the engine temperature is at least 80 degrees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Why would the engine still be cold? We are using the car's OBD system to get a temperature and rpm reading, and the test software will not let you go ahead with the diesel test, unless the engine temperature is at least 80 degrees.

On my NCT cert the oil temperature reads as zero besides the readout for my smoke level (which is nice and low, thank god)
    How was the smoke test done so?
    If someone tests cars all day, I'm sure at some stage they just want to get as many cars through as possible.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Can you imagine if the engine was cold and that high revving was done. Chronic.

Why would the engine still be cold?.
    It could be cold if you lived down the road from the nct centre i.e. less than a minute away.

• Advertisement

It could be cold if you lived down the road from the nct centre i.e. less than a minute away.

But then it wouldn't be tested...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There is at least one independent garage chain who are investing in full NCT spec test equipment and have it in a couple of centres already.;)

Incidentally would you know what it would cost in that chain to check brake imbalances?:) I'm waiting on a new caliper to arrive to fix my 40% imbalance and would like to know beforeI go back if its properly sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

oil temp has to be at least 80 degrees before the test can commence but nothing stops you revving the car continuously to get it to that temperature. the machine will only take a reading when it has reached at least 80. nothing stops you taking a heat measurement off the exhaust with the infra red either.

Incidentally would you know what it would cost in that chain to check brake imbalances?:) I'm waiting on a new caliper to arrive to fix my 40% imbalance and would like to know beforeI go back if its properly sorted.

I wouldn't, but I might know someone who could find out for you tomorrow.:P

But then it wouldn't be tested...

How?

• Advertisement

How?

http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf

See page 10 and 11 of the NCT manual which includes:

"It is absolutely essential that the engine is at normal operating temperature before carrying out a smoke test. Testers should ensure that engines are not warmed up by being left idling or at half throttle. They should be warmed up by normal driving."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Should this thread not have been posted in women's own or an equiv mens mag magazine ? Will I won't I stuff.........

http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf

See page 10 and 11 of the NCT manual which includes:

"It is absolutely essential that the engine is at normal operating temperature before carrying out a smoke test. Testers should ensure that engines are not warmed up by being left idling or at half throttle. They should be warmed up by normal driving."

So basically you would have to take it for a good long drive before the NCT is it? Even though you're only living down the road from the test centre?

Jesus I thought it was enough to pay for the test or retest and then leaving the onus on me to make sure my engine was warm enough and in the process waste fuel heating the engine up for the NCT testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So basically you would have to take it for a good long drive before the NCT is it? Even though you're only living down the road from the test centre?

Jesus I thought it was enough to pay for the test or retest and then leaving the onus on me to make sure my engine was warm enough and in the process waste fuel heating the engine up for the NCT testers.

Woudl you rather they revved it cold?

Woudl you rather they revved it cold?

No way. I wouldn't let them :D

No way. I wouldn't let them :D

So if you don't want to waste fuel warming your car up(keeping in mind that your car uses much more fuel when cold), and you(rightly) won't let them rev your car when its cold....how do you propose to get your car tested?

Advertisement