Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway70.3 or Lost Sheep?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Bambaata wrote: »
    Did part of the Galway course again today and remembered why I also said I wont be rushing back to do it. That area before moycullen should have whoever looks after roads in Galway in jail. Crazy bad. Nevermind the oughterard to maam area!

Damn you and your Mallorca 70.3 roads!! :D

Who knows maybe the roads will be in a better condition come September...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fazz wrote: »
    Who knows maybe the roads will be in a better condition come September...

LOL...thanks for the good laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Did part of the Galway course again today and remembered why I also said I wont be rushing back to do it. That area before moycullen should have whoever looks after roads in Galway in jail. Crazy bad. Nevermind the oughterard to maam area!

I was so cold I didn't notice the road surface, anywaybest of luck in finding 50+ miles of good road to race on in Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Most of the routes i use are fine. There's always a few potholes but not so many that you cant avoid them.

Most of the routes i use are fine. There's always a few potholes but not so many that you cant avoid them.

problem is would the gardai/coco allow you to close off 50+ miles of those routes to race on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im not saying anything in relation to the race, im just stating why i wont be rushing back. There are other options and im going with them for this year. The route was dangerous out towards Maam cross last year. There were too many people for such a narrow stretch. The roads were in such bad condition in areas that people have to weave to avoid potholes. This made it very dangerous when people are trying to pass one another. I saw at least 4 or 5 pairs of people that obviously had just collided due to these conditions. there were plenty of notices and shouts to keep left but people just couldnt at times or they would have gone over the bars themselves after hitting those potholes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was so cold I didn't notice the road surface, anywaybest of luck in finding 50+ miles of good road to race on in Ireland!!

I seem to remember a closed motorway for Eireman.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

longshank wrote: »
    problem is would the gardai/coco allow you to close off 50+ miles of those routes to race on?

Klagenfurt, IM Austria. They shut down a town.
    Frankfurt, IM Frankfurt. They shut down 90km of roads in a major city.

This is Galway. On a Sunday. In September. The CoCo won't in case Biddie or Myley want to get to the shops for a pint of milk. Ignoring the impact a supported case can have on the local economy.

I remember when I was hauled off in an ambulance in Klagenfurt, the doctor and the drivers all knew exactly the average spend per IM competitor, the average stay, the number of people that normally accompany a competitor. Total average spend per travelling party and the total economic impact on the area. As a result they gave their time for free for the race. And didn't b!tch about closed roads.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I seem to remember a closed motorway for Eireman.........................

was it not a - yet to be opened motorway??

was it not a - yet to be opened motorway??

Nope it was a fully open motorway - the southbound carriageway had traffic running on it. Don't know how they ever persuaded the powers that be to shut it for a triathlon........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Nope it was a fully open motorway - the southbound carriageway had traffic running on it. Don't know how they ever persuaded the powers that be to shut it for a triathlon........

Eoin did a lot of things badly for that race. However one thing he did excellently was conveying to the local powers to be the impact that a large, well run IM would have on the local area. They understood and got behind it. If year one had gone well we would have a huge locally supported IM there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Eoin did a lot of things badly for that race. However one thing he did excellently was conveying to the local powers to be the impact that a large, well run IM would have on the local area. They understood and got behind it. If year one had gone well we would have a huge locally supported IM there now.

I think if the sun was shining that day it could have been a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

If year one had gone well we would have a huge locally supported IM there now.

What would be your opinion on the Hardman Tunny - have you heard any feedback from that one. Certainly as a location it would be hard to beat. I did hear a rumour that the Challenge organisers were looking at it as a potential Irish venue. Certainly the natives down that direction know the value of sports tourism although closing off the ring of Kerry for a day might be one step too far

Agree 100% with this. I think that's been shown by his success in running other events elsewhere on an annual basis which need cooperation from local bureaucrats. As Mloc said, if it had been sunny and the swim not cancelled it would have been a completely different day (notwithstanding the fact that there were some other issues that could have been resolved by year 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

notwithstanding the fact that there were some other issues that could have been resolved by year 2

I even think some of the issues may not have cropped up had it been sunny.
    It rained all day, the marshals more than likely didn't want to be there as a result and lost interest.
    It was one depressing day and I only raced the sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think if the sun was shining that day it could have been a great race.

IMO the weather was the least of all the problems that particular day. I have never seen such a badly run event, haven't seen the likes since either thank god. But lets not re-visit that discussion again :)

Advertisement