Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway70.3 or Lost Sheep?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Just plotting what I might get up to in late season and both of these are on the wish list.

Heart says Lost Sheep, head says Galway, for some reason.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

What does the pocket say?

Having a similar dilemma myself - there is the buzz around the official ironman branded event - with probably 1500 people taking part, it would be more like a festival.

The lost sheep is supposed to be a trickier course with steep sections for the bike - this appeals to me to a certain extent - i like the idea of a more hardcore event.

decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

eoglyn wrote: »
    What does the pocket say?

Having a similar dilemma myself - there is the buzz around the official ironman branded event - with probably 1500 people taking part, it would be more like a festival.

The lost sheep is supposed to be a trickier course with steep sections for the bike - this appeals to me to a certain extent - i like the idea of a more hardcore event.

decisions, decisions...

Very true...

I've done a full IM elsewhere, so the brand is less of a pull, but I kinda feel it is on the doorstep and if there is another swim debacle this year that might be the end of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

Izoard wrote: »
    Just plotting what I might get up to in late season and both of these are on the wish list.

Heart says Lost Sheep, head says Galway, for some reason.

Opinions?

Hardman :)

Seriously , I haven't done either but The Lost Sheep has a great reputation but it takes days to get to west Kerry whilst Galway is expensive but is easier to get to and may have some z list celebs taking part, but has wave starts which is a pain ( or at least it did last year). I suppose it's heavily weather dependent, good weather in either would make the event, bad weather could ruin it.

You not doing Tri An Mhi HIM this year?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Hardman :)

Seriously , I haven't done either but The Lost Sheep has a great reputation but it takes days to get to west Kerry whilst Galway is expensive but is easier to get to and may have some z list celebs taking part, but has wave starts which is a pain ( or at least it did last year). I suppose it's heavily weather dependent, good weather in either would make the event, bad weather could ruin it.

You not doing Tri An Mhi HIM this year?

I was thinking of passing on Hardman and topping your title by going straight to Embrunman or Norseman, or not...

Speaking of cat weather Tri an Mhi - I'll take a couple of months off after Conn, with a view to one of the HIM's above.

I was thinking of passing on Hardman and topping your title by going straight to Embrunman or Norseman, or not...

Speaking of cat weather Tri an Mhi - I'll take a couple of months off after Conn, with a view to one of the HIM's above.

I'd love to do Norseman,, it's on my bucket list of races with a couple of others.........swimming in the dark.......killer hills.......only problem is the need for a support person / team. Can't see the missis stepping up to that role!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Lost Sheep for me this year. Have heard great things and wouldnt mind a nice long weekend/holier to coincide with it without costing the earth

I'd love to do Norseman,, it's on my bucket list of races with a couple of others.........swimming in the dark.......killer hills.......only problem is the need for a support person / team. Can't see the missis stepping up to that role!

I think they ran it over 2 days this year - might allow for 2 punters to share race/support duties on alternate days...

I think they ran it over 2 days this year - might allow for 2 punters to share race/support duties on alternate days...

Is that a proposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

It's Galway for me with the attraction of IM, top entry field with Pro's and the whole atmosphere.
    And location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Isn't Lost Sheep half the price of Galway or has it drastically inflated in the last few years :confused: Galway razzmatazz vs the beauty of Kenmare and the 2 climbs.. Kenmare for me. Having done Kenmare alreasy though I may venture for Galway if I could only convince myself to pay that much for a HIM.

• Advertisement

Is that a proposition?

I'm wondering would it be better to crew on Day 1 or Day 2.

Probably not much help after race day though...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally, I reckon that unless you are a Galway native and have accommodation in Galway it's a damn expensive weekend. Granted it's a branded event and the support on the course is excellent, but that doesn't justify the expense IMO. Kenmare has it's issues too but the bike is really special and a great race. I'd be more inclined to do Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Personally, I reckon that unless you are a Galway native and have accommodation in Galway it's a damn expensive weekend. Granted it's a branded event and the support on the course is excellent, but that doesn't justify the expense IMO. Kenmare has it's issues too but the bike is really special and a great race. I'd be more inclined to do Kenmare.

A branded event means nothing. Look at IMUK and compare that to IMDE or IMAT. Its not the brand that matters its the organisers.

Expensive.
    50/50 chance of cancelled or shortened swim
    Expensive accomodation.
    Galway is no Kerry.
    Jam Bakery in Kenmare.
    Kenmare pubs.

No brainer. Rumour has it twonpelota is thinking of it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

tunney wrote: »
    No brainer. Rumour has it twonpelota is thinking of it this year.

A trip to Jam or the HIM ? I'm definitely doing a trip to Jam this year myself - thankfully the cost of this and dinner at Prego are significantly less than most HIM entries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Can people please stop talking about Jam and Prego. Making me want to go to Kenmare again this year. Fantastic race, without the entry fee premium, nor the premium on the accommodation costs.

interested wrote: »
    A trip to Jam or the HIM ? I'm definitely doing a trip to Jam this year myself - thankfully the cost of this and dinner at Prego are significantly less than most HIM entries ;)

I would not have seen the HIM and Jam as being mutally exclusive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How do the costs compare when accomodation etc is factored into Kenmare?

I had the same question in my head over Kenamare / Galway and went with a repeat of Galway simply cos it beat me last year and I want revenge!

I had the same question in my head over Kenamare / Galway and went with a repeat of Galway simply cos it beat me last year and I want revenge!

Rent a house in Kenmare, get 3x double rooms. Split the bill. Have own kitchen bathroom etc. I know if I go it will be with 2 kids and the wife so would be nice to have a home away from home. Works out quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

As Tunney says, rent a house. http://www.kenmarebayhotel.com/ have very nice holiday homes at very reasonable prices. 4/5/6 people sharing the bill and its a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

How come you don't do Humbert with the rest of us? No high cost and accommodation needed at all there

• Advertisement

My trip to Kenmare 3 years ago was cheaper than Galway last year. That was paying for a night in a B&B in Kenmare too. I only had race entry to pay for in Galway as I live in Gawlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    How come you don't do Humbert with the rest of us? No high cost and accommodation needed at all there

Sounds like a plan. End of July taken care of. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Did both last year and both very different. Definitely better buzz and atmosphere around galway but lost sheep a better challenge. Thinking of doing both again this year but with only 6 days between I'm not sure. It is a pity they couldn't space them out more so people could do both. Will be an intersting challenge!!

longshank wrote: »
    Did both last year and both very different. Definitely better buzz and atmosphere around galway but lost sheep a better challenge. Thinking of doing both again this year but with only 6 days between I'm not sure. It is a pity they couldn't space them out more so people could do both. Will be an intersting challenge!!

How did your bike and run times compare over the 2 courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

How did your bike and run times compare over the 2 courses?

bike timw was much the same but weather was horrendous in Galway, Kenmare much tougher course but a bit shorter so not much difference in time. Run was 7 mins slower in Kenmare again tougher course but think I was a bit flat after the other race and the hilly cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I did Lost Sheep last year in a very similar way to what Tunney mentioned above (rented house with wife and 2 kids and made a holiday of it). Where we stayed only about 4 of the 20 houses were in use and we got in at a knockdown price. Very nice houses too.

The race is great. Two fantastic climbs on the bike and very tough run course. It's also well organised. I'd encourage everybody to do this race.

Haven't done Galway so I won't discourage anybody from doing it.

Would be interested to hear about what houses they were Clum? Maybe some might be interested here to do a group booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

tunney wrote: »
    Galway is no Kerry...

.....and Kerry is no Galway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Bambaata wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear about what houses they were Clum? Maybe some might be interested here to do a group booking?

Think it was called Pairc na Gloine. On the Sneem road about 1k to town centre, 2k to transition.

It's nearly all down hill to town so I freewheeled to transition with my gear on race morning. Cycling back after the race wasn't quite as easy tho...

• Advertisement

Did part of the Galway course again today and remembered why I also said I wont be rushing back to do it. That area before moycullen should have whoever looks after roads in Galway in jail. Crazy bad. Nevermind the oughterard to maam area!

Advertisement