Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with this house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

m83 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going on with this house across from the Colaiste? Didn't yer man Sheils used to own it? It's in bits these days.

is that not Lyons house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Well it's in tatters at the mo, whoever owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Tis. Used to cycle by it the whole time on the way to the gym. Nice few houses on that road, probably worth a pretty penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Even at the risk of being accused by pilate1 once again that I'm "knocking nuns in ennis" - that is the house I was wondering for ages about. Several (mind, long-established catholic Irish) neighbours of mine, while I was living in Ennis, told me that it belongs to a nunnery and was supposed to be a retirement home for them.
    I'm quoting: They couldn't be bothered to look after it, neither did they have the idea to rent it out to ordinary people or to give it to the needy or at least sell it.
    Simply because they didn't grasp the idea that even simple cottages need maintenance, not only churches.
    Which ended in the discussion that the religious orders apparantly don't give a dustbin about caring about ordinary property or they are just plain stupid.

Lack of money wasn't certainly a problem. More like that life outside a convent doesn't matter to them.

There, I'm "knocking" again....:rolleyes:

In general I really don't understand why perfectly good houses are left to rot while there are still homeless or poor people desperate for a home.

By the way: There is a field behind my house which happens to belong to a nun. It's going wild, a jungle of brambles and furze. There are not even cattle anymore. Local lore says, that the owner is too frail and beyond the cupboard to care about it, but to mean to leave it to anyone in her family to look after it.
    Wasting property for selfish reasons seems to be a desease in Ireland.

"Knocking" again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

I don't know if nuns own the house on the corner near the station or if a nun owns the field behind a poster's house but, if they do, then that's their business. They have the same rights as the rest of us to do, or not do, what they like with their property and the same likelihood as the rest of us to get caught in an awful bind when wills and inheritance get tangled up.

It's all very well speculating about who owns what neglected house and human to be coveting such properties but there's an unpleasant whiff about it which isn't far removed from the busy thread on here at one time about the 'characters' (most of them down and outs and many struggling with mental illness and addictions and family tragedies) around they place and what they do that amused us and how they fell on hard times. That was a preying on vulnerability based on knowing that they cannot fight back and I think it's the same with the vacant/neglected properties. Can you imagine writing like this about someone's occupied house? I know that neglected houses can become eyesores but there's a place to take complaints about that (perhaps the Town or County Council?) And, as quite a separate matter, the publishing of photos and descriptions of the location of properties which are vacant/neglected etc., may very well lead to the start of vandalism, or add to existing vandalism, on those properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I really liked this thread in the beginning, I thought I was the only one intrigued by the house in Clonroad and it was really nice to hear that other people liked it too. It is a beautiful house and I'd dearly love to see someone occupy it again. So much as changed in Ennis over the last 20+ years but that house has stayed pretty much the same. As for the issue of vandalism, steps have been taken to secure the properties which have been mentioned on this thread, some are boarded up, have fences around them or have CCTV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Balagan wrote: »
    And, as quite a separate matter, the publishing of photos and descriptions of the location of properties which are vacant/neglected etc., may very well lead to the start of vandalism, or add to existing vandalism, on those properties.

LOL. You reckon the type of people who would intentionally go out and vandalise a vacant property are looking through fora like these to seek out targets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

CiaranMT wrote: »
    And, as quite a separate matter, the publishing of photos and descriptions of the location of properties which are vacant/neglected etc., may very well lead to the start of vandalism, or add to existing vandalism, on those properties.

LOL. You reckon the type of people who would intentionally go out and vandalise a vacant property are looking through fora like these to seek out targets?

LOL its gas the way this discussion has gone on a negative direction but I'm telling ye now the first house is haunted a relative of mine had a nice house in Kerry nobody wanted to inherit it as it was built on a leyline and there was never any luck with it back in those days even 30 years ago people were superstitious and weren't looking at property with an egotistical self serving Celtic tiger mindset or so called economic eyes their peace of mind was more important I said it before even the homeless don't want spend a night sleeping rough there......

CiaranMT wrote: »

Now, do I believe in a scenario where someone in, say, Las Vegas, would google abandonedhousesinennis.com and come and vandalize them, then, no, I don't! But I can well imagine a group of people, from Ennis or nearby, who want a new location to gather for their drink or their drugs or whatever, easily seizing an opportunity to use a vacant house which has come to their attention. And there could be others with no good on their minds who come upon these posts of vacant houses with photos and discussion mentions about people who own them being abroad or whatever, and who would seize those opportunities. And what started out discussing one vacant house has moved on to a number of them, including one still in good order. Not all vandals are computer illiterate or without access to computers, you know! And this is the internet and open to all. No us and them here. No cosy consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Now, do I believe in a scenario where someone in, say, Las Vegas, would google abandonedhousesinennis.com and come and vandalize them, then, no, I don't! But I can well imagine a group of people, from Ennis or nearby, who want a new location to gather for their drink or their drugs or whatever, easily seizing an opportunity to use a vacant house which has come to their attention. And there could be others with no good on their minds who come upon these posts of vacant houses with photos and discussion mentions about people who own them being abroad or whatever, and who would seize those opportunities. And what started out discussing one vacant house has moved on to a number of them, including one still in good order. Not all vandals are computer illiterate or without access to computers, you know! And this is the internet and open to all. No us and them here. No cosy consensus.
    Yes the junkies of Ennis come on Boards to find out the locations of these houses in between fixes because god knows the properties are so well hidden from public view.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

27 petty/silly/off-topic posts removed.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Yes the junkies of Ennis come on Boards to find out the locations of these houses in between fixes because god knows the properties are so well hidden from public view.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I could have sworn that my reply to your comment survived the major removing of posts yesterday but it seems to have disappeared since. Interesting! Anyway, to respond again:

Of course they are not hidden from public view at all! But neither is there a poster out in front of the houses stating that the owner is overseas and other information which has been posted in this thread!

And not all those who gather for drinking and taking drugs are far-gone junkies who would be unacquainted with or without access to the internet. There are quite a number of secondary school age and older who would be very likely to visit this site (some were certainly here during the headshop discussions) who, unfortunately, make up a quite significant number for whom such gatherings are frequent.

We had moved on from discussion of the property which was the original subject of the thread and began discussing other properties, one in still good condition. If you had a vacant house in Ennis yourself, would you be happy for it to feature on here, along with location and photo, and discussion as to what happened in your family that led to the house being vacant? Would other posters be happy for that to happen to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I could have sworn that my reply to your comment survived the major removing of posts yesterday but it seems to have disappeared since. Interesting! Anyway, to respond again:

Of course they are not hidden from public view at all! But neither is there a poster out in front of the houses stating that the owner is overseas and other information which has been posted in this thread!

And not all those who gather for drinking and taking drugs are far-gone junkies who would be unacquainted with or without access to the internet. There are quite a number of secondary school age and older who would be very likely to visit this site (some were certainly here during the headshop discussions) who, unfortunately, make up a quite significant number for whom such gatherings are frequent.

We had moved on from discussion of the property which was the original subject of the thread and began discussing other properties, one in still good condition. If you had a vacant house in Ennis yourself, would you be happy for it to feature on here, along with location and photo, and discussion as to what happened in your family that led to the house being vacant? Would other posters be happy for that to happen to them?
    Balagan I did see your last post I simply chose to ignore it. The fact that you have repeated your response even though it was already removed indicates your sole purpose on this thread is to provoke. I have no interest in your efforts to turn a decent thread into a rolling argument. This is the last time I will reply to anything you post as I am putting you on my ignore list.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Balagan I did see your last post I simply chose to ignore it. The fact that you have repeated your response even though it was already removed indicates your sole purpose on this thread is to provoke. I have no interest in your efforts to turn a decent thread into a rolling argument. This is the last time I will reply to anything you post as I am putting you on my ignore list.

Thank you!

i love the ostrich approache:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Don't think this thread is going any further. Unsubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

point taken how bout the pigs head?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This is the third thread in as many months I've made an effort to salvage, only for stupid posts to keep rolling in afterwards. Balagan, if something is deleted, leave it deleted. The argument you're trying to make does not belong in this thread.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement