Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trawled from the Net

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Looking at that picture of Youghal it shows what sort of management (mis-management) that CIE/I/E are. It would have only needed a visit from the weed-sprayer once a year and a maintainence van and a small bit of effort on maintaining the stations and you would have basic line structure still in place. Now if you visit you would do well to even find the track bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

594px-GM_diesel_locomotive_B124_being_unloaded_from_a_ship_at_the_North_Wall_in_Dublin_.jpg

Is that one of Irish Shipping's ships that it is being unloaded from, possibly The Pouplar or the Spruance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

roundymac wrote: »
    Is that one of Irish Shipping's ships that it is being unloaded from, possibly The Pouplar or the Spruance?

Looks like it could be either

Irish Spruce

Irish Popular

What is the the engine being unloaded and where would it be coming from, see if I can jog my old fella memory over the weekend

according to wiki where the image is up on. the loco is 124 being unloaded at north wall in december 1961.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/youghaltrainstationaugu.png/

Youghal turntable 1988. A few new boards in the centre is hardly rebuilding it.

You obviously know more than me about it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Looks like it could be either

Irish Spruce

Irish Popular

Well spotted, it's one of the two ok - thought that funnel looked familiar. About as far back in time as Freddie on the Wurlitzer in the Savoy ! ;):D

Well spotted, it's one of the two ok - thought that funnel looked familiar. About as far back in time as Freddie on the Wurlitzer in the Savoy ! ;):D

All credit must go to roundymac as I would't have a clue which ship to start with

You obviously know more than me about it so.
    Why the smart reply ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a smart reply to a smart reply perhaps?

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    what are the people of Youghal (a dying seaside town) like?. They have the makings of a fine heritge railway still in situ and yet they arent kicking and screaming to get it back up and running!

There was an article last year in the Irish Times about Youghal. From reading it, I doubt a heritage railway would be high up on the list of their priorities - but then again who knows ? Link

Matter of interest how did you recognize them from that angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Well I didn't mean as a plaything, I meant as a means to attract tourists into the town, bring in some dosh and at the same time provide a transport link with the City.

It has all the plus-points necessasry....exisitng line as far as Midleton...steam thence to The Beach.

It wont happen in Ireland though, we don't have the same attitude to heritage and volunteering for such projects as they do in the UK

corktina wrote: »
    Well I didn't mean as a plaything, I meant as a means to attract tourists into the town, bring in some dosh and at the same time provide a transport link with the City.

It has all the plus-points necessasry....exisitng line as far as Midleton...steam thence to The Beach.

It wont happen in Ireland though, we don't have the same attitude to heritage and volunteering for such projects as they do in the UK

+1.......with all of what you say - and especially the last paragraph. A heritage railway in the 'Bluebell' sense will never be anything else than a pipe dream or at best a video in a heritage centre , it's a pity but there you go !

Matter of interest how did you recognize them from that angle
    The funnel and it's markings looked familier. I remember those ships when they used to come into Cork back in the sixties. The Spruance was later lost after grounding on the Quita Suena bank which I think is somewhere off the South American coast.

The funnel and it's markings looked familier. I remember those ships when they used to come into Cork back in the sixties. The Spruance was later lost after grounding on the Quita Suena bank which I think is somewhere off the South American coast.

I think they had a run loading cars from Ford to the US for a while circa 1959/1960

Anyway will check the info with my father at the weekend to get more information

+1.......with all of what you say - and especially the last paragraph. A heritage railway in the 'Bluebell' sense will never be anything else than a pipe dream or at best a video in a heritage centre , it's a pity but there you go !

Been there, got the video and the t-shirt - more than thirty years ago now. There was lots of hot air but no action when a real chance was there to save the line. :D

ECRSA%2B014.JPG

Sorry about the British loco but it was in pre-internet days when logos couldn't be so easily lifted from elsewhere.

Looking at that picture of Youghal it shows what sort of management (mis-management) that CIE/I/E are. It would have only needed a visit from the weed-sprayer once a year and a maintainence van and a small bit of effort on maintaining the stations and you would have basic line structure still in place. Now if you visit you would do well to even find the track bed.

I totally agree but some track was salvaged from the vicinity of Youghal to repair the Sligo line in the late 1980s.

I think they had a run loading cars from Ford to the US for a while circa 1959/1960

Anyway will check the info with my father at the weekend to get more information
    If you visit Irish Ships.com, click on Irish Shipping crews and ships, then click on Irish Elm, you'll see pictures of cars and trucks being carried from Japan to USA and europe.

If you visit Irish Ships.com, click on Irish Shipping crews and ships, then click on Irish Elm, you'll see pictures of cars and trucks being carried from Japan to USA and europe.

Showed the picture to my father, he reckons it was the Irish Popular, as it was the only time he saw a 100 ton lift

He was 2nd mate at the time, so will check his discharge book later to confirm the dates match

Which Irish Elm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I know they shouldn't have to, but it would be nice if Youghal people took their strimmers and shovels down to the station and cleaned it up without asking for permission. The reality is that self-help is going to be the main way things get done in Ireland over the next decade. The downside is that IE's principal objection would be insurance related, and the greed shown by some who scammed their way through the tiger years gives them excuse.

Showed the picture to my father, he reckons it was the Irish Popular, as it was the only time he saw a 100 ton lift

He was 2nd mate at the time, so will check his discharge book later to confirm the dates match

Which Irish Elm

The one that was built at Verolme Cork in 1968.

The one that was built at Verolme Cork in 1968.

They actually tried shipping from Fords in Cork to the US about 1960 , but didn't pan out

Always remember their last one launching herself

The Irish Spruce? I was reading the full story of her and the financial background to her building, it makes very interesting reading, I'm trying to find where I read it, I will post up a link if I can find it.

Which Irish Elm
    Finally found the link.
    http://www.irishships.com/irish_elm.html

From eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Last-Tram-Howth-Dublin-Irish-Photo-Picture-/190540583932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5d1a93fc#ht_928wt_952 tonight - enough to make a grown man cry. :(

%2524%2528KGrHqJ%252C%2521hgE1f%2529H0zeHBNl0%252Bq1nVw%257E%257E_3.JPG

One of the last Hill of Howth trams on the 30th May 1958.

Advertisement