Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trawled from the Net

Options
  • 22-01-2012 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

jkvdqg.jpg

Rathduff co cork

nmagd3.jpg

Goolds Cross

21bnax4.jpg

Cork City Rly

ncee4l.jpg

Banteer Co Cork

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

mhdzt.jpg

B124 at Youghal

2s1rfrb.jpg

B123 Lismore

c0nko.jpg

020 Charleville

Brian Boru Bridge Cork

fod6a9.jpg

same lifting

15zjbkk.jpg

C224 Clontarf Bridge Cork

311sw9j.jpg

C209 Cork City Rly

mx1tsi.jpg

Blarney

2nvuvsw.jpg

1z38cgp.jpg
    fldp8i.jpg
    Rathpeacon

• Advertisement

B106 Midelton

nd30wn.jpg

Can't find many Steam loco photos at all

Gortnalee Junction and Castleisland Branch

dads5.jpg
    t0gi2t.jpg

Millstreet co cork

2mdewk8.jpg
    mlmi6x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Excellent pics, especially the Cork City Railway ones. Like the Goolds Cross one, about a mile from where I'm sitting now, used spend a bit of time when on holiday here in the 70s watching trains from the overbidge which overlooked the box.

121s on the Mallow to Waterford line

fermoy

14juxd1.jpg

tallow rd

160q7mr.jpg

Lismore

29etcmf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

corktina wrote: »
    1z38cgp.jpg
    fldp8i.jpg
    Rathpeacon

Note the former GSRPS stock in the background. :(

yep, had to replace original post cos the photos didnt work, but I made vcommnet on being sorry to upset you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

B106 Midelton

nd30wn.jpg

Is that ballast they are loading? Those lorries are belong to Ellis's sand and gravel.

186 and 130 Killarney 1964

11cf41y.jpg

121 class on the Cork turntable

96vl12.jpg

121 class at Galway

2hpojex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

311sw9j.jpg

Oh the memories, we used to go swimming in the baths by city hall in the early 70's. I remember putting a few coppers ie money on the line and getting it flattened.;)

Thanks a mill.:)

Your dragging out memories now, the Eglintine Baths. Oh happy days.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

roundymac wrote: »
    Your dragging out memories now, the Eglintine Baths. Oh happy days.;)

Mrs Campion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Nice shots of the 121 on the turntable, I don't actually remember the 'Supertrain' livery but it's growing on me, has a nice retro feel to it.
    Note the former GSRPS stock in the background. :(

Is that a brown and cream livery on the coach in the background? Do you know what type of carriage it is, JD? (I can't really tell from the size of the pic). I'm more of a carriage buff than a loco man.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can anyone confirm or deny that the turntable in kent station on which that 121 is on is no longer there and has been removed and was moved to the new station in Midleton( the cleared area at the youghal end of the station) and the turntable in youghal is in north esk since the nineties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm or deny that the turntable in kent station on which that 121 is on is no longer there and has been removed and was moved to the new station in Midleton( the cleared area at the youghal end of the station) and the turntable in youghal is in north esk since the nineties.

I believe Cork's turntable was removed to allow for the installation of a mkIV cleaning facility. I don't believe it's been moved to Midleton though, I thought it was moved (the actual table that is) to North Esk for storage.

I was on holidays in Youghal back in August 1998 and distinctly remember looking over the wall to see a weed-ridden turntable still in situ. Unless it was moved since then.

Why would the Cork turntable have gone to Midleton? As far as I know the Youghal one is still in situ but the pit has been filled in around it to prevent accidents.

Niles wrote: »
    Nice shots of the 121 on the turntable, I don't actually remember the 'Supertrain' livery but it's growing on me, has a nice retro feel to it.

Is that a brown and cream livery on the coach in the background? Do you know what type of carriage it is, JD? (I can't really tell from the size of the pic). I'm more of a carriage buff than a loco man.

The carriage was one of the 1372-1378 side-corridor series and the brown + cream livery was a an undercoat for a proposed corporate GSRPS colour scheme.

Why would the Cork turntable have gone to Midleton? As far as I know the Youghal one is still in situ but the pit has been filled in around it to prevent accidents.

Just to be clear i was only told thats what happened JD and I went to Midleton station to take pictures and walked as close to that cleared area and unless that turntable is invisible its not there. And ya I was in youghal two years ago and the railings and and lever were clearly visible and would they leave the railings there if they had removed the table ? IMO they wouldn't.

Just to be clear i was only told thats what happened JD and I went to Midleton station to take pictures and walked as close to that cleared area and unless that turntable is invisible its not there. And ya I was in youghal two years ago and the railings and and lever were clearly visible and would they leave the railings there if they had removed the table ? IMO they wouldn't.

Given that the railings are physically attached to the turntable, that would seem to confirm that it's still there. Incidentally, the turntable was heavily rebuilt in 1985 for the Cork 800 "Sea Breezes Express" (pictured below) and which included two restored GSRPS carriages (2409 and 1659). The turntable may have been used to turn a pw machine once since then. :D

6bf26091430b308b2ee90f6deb7891464a91efed.pjpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/youghaltrainstationaugu.png/

Youghal turntable 1988. A few new boards in the centre is hardly rebuilding it.

what are the people of Youghal (a dying seaside town) like?. They have the makings of a fine heritge railway still in situ and yet they arent kicking and screaming to get it back up and running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I think the turntable's still down there, but the pit has been infilled. Probably too big a job to remove it.
    As regards the good people of Youghal, I didn't hear any noise out of them when Midleton reopened. One would have expected a 'Full steam ahead for Youghal' cliche newspaper headline.
    Perhaps it is a dying (or dead) seaside town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

311sw9j.jpg

he looks like he's in a cheesy musical, just having started to sing and about to leap into a dance routine to keep the traffic at bay :pac:

• Advertisement

Last I saw of the Kent turntable, it was dumped around the back of the cement silo's. Did'nt look in great condition, suspect it was cut up and scrapped.:mad:
    That would have been about 2007/22008.

Advertisement