Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custer's Last Stand and American Indian myths

Options
  • 21-01-2012 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Thought I might start a thread on the experiences of the American Indians – or Native Americans. I got the idea from a mention on another thread. I’m no expert on the subject but have an interest in their history so I'm exploring it also. The image of the Indian as bad guy to the good cowboy owes much to Hollywoord. Certainly my generation of Irish kids grew up with images of the ‘bad’ Indians and the ‘good’ cowboys and the cavalry charge which always settled events on the 'right' side at the end of the film. But historians claim that this portrayal of Indians as 'savage baddies' goes back further than Hollywood and reached its height with the defeat of Custer at the Battle of Little Bighorn in 1876 – just as Americans were celebrating their first century of independence.

The Indian leader Sitting Bull was maybe in many ways the Great Hugh O’Neill of his time and people. He had resisted the ‘offers’ of going on to reservations and led his people, the Lakota Sioux tribe, away from accepting the white man’s ‘civilisation’ and they continued to hunt buffalo and attempted to cling onto their old way of life. Some Indian tribes had gone onto reservations. The issue came to a head over the Black Hills in what was then the Dakota Territory. The Lakota Sioux and the Cheyenne used the hills for hunting and food. The Federal government wanted the hill territory – Custer and a sizable cavalry were sent to get rid of the ‘hostile’ Indians [those who refused to conform to US law]. When gold was discovered the issue became central to policy that the Indians must be removed, wiped out if necessary.

Sitting-Bull-210x300.jpg

Sitting Bull photo

It’s a convoluted subject – and modern American historians are digging deeply into archival material to establish what actually happened. Wiping away the mythology that was created in the press at the time is a fascinating subject itself - [the mythology was helped greatly by Custer himself and his wife who wrote extensively about his experiences, always making himself the hero].

I have a number of books on the subject Nathaniel Philbrick’s Last Stand is excellent so is Michael Elliots’s Custerology: the Enduring legacy of the Indian Wars and George Armstrong Custer.

“Custer is controversial for the same reasons he was so successful in his own time,” historian Michael Elliott said. “He was an outsized personality who used the tools around him to shape himself into a public figure that embodies many of the things that make us uncomfortable about American history — the way that Americans sometimes rush into a military action, the way that America has treated American Indians... These are questions that are really raw and nagging and we haven’t resolved them. And until we do we’re going to keep returning to Custer and the controversies that surround him.”
    Here is a link to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC on Native Americans. Well worth a visit. I spend some time there a few years ago.

http://www.nmai.si.edu/

Any contributions to the subject welcome. Digging out archival material would also be very helpful. I know that newspapers of the time were full of stories of Custer [some written by him]. He had a flamboyant personality and is said to have loved the theatrics of battle. His final defeat at Bighorn was depicted as 'heroic' with images of him and his men surrounded by 'savages' as he went down to his death. It's said that this image hung in every bar in the United States for decades and became the iconic image of 'good' vs. 'bad' Indian 'savage'.

CDfm - it's time to put on that buckskin - :pac:

Custer.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sorry, slightly pissed after the rugby, but I can't resist adding this from the "Famous last words thread" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055722620

Some 78 years later another adventurous army officer made the same mistake and divided his forces before the Battle of Little Bighorn....this time General Armstrong Custer was the last man to die along with his entire command, and anecdotally his last words on seeing the enormous Indian force (estimated 1,800+) facing his (200+) detachment of the 7th Cavalry were "Hurrah, boys, we've got them! We'll finish them up and then go home to our station." These last words are often referred to as "Where did all these f.......n indians come from?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Who was the first American Indian to visit Ireland , here is Chief White Cloud who visited Dublin in 1843.

Ireland and the American Indians

By Juliana Adelman
    1020.jpg?w=450&h=546Every once in a while the historian experiences a series of coincidences which makes her take a second look at something and maybe file it under ‘interesting lead to pursue in future’. While reading through the minute books of the Dublin Zoological Society I came across a tantilizing reference to the visitation of a tribe of American Indians to the gardens in the 1840s. I assumed it was another example of the distasteful nineteenth-century practice of human displays: public exhibitions of ‘savages’ from all continents were popular attractions and sometimes they were placed alongside animal exhibits. Soon after, I came across an article on the visiting Indians in a Dublin newspaper. The coverage surprised me. There was certainly an element of condescension and titilation, but the Indians were treated as a mixture of visiting foreign dignitaries and actors. Far from the seedy sideshow in native flesh that I had imagined. The tribe was described as making a visit to the zoological gardens, rather than being on display there, and all the gate receipts for the day were donated to them. Hmmm, so much for a historian’s assumptions.
    I didn’t think much more of it until a few months later I was reading William Cronon’s book Nature’s metropolis: Chicago and the great west (heartily recommended). Cronon referred repeatedly to George Catlin’s doomed campaigns to save both American Indian tribes and buffalo habitats in the west. Catlin, one of America’s early environmental campaigners, documented the demise of the buffalo in the face of expanding American cattle grazing. Catlin sounded familiar. A quick search in the National Library’s online catalogue revealed the presence of one of Catlin’s pamphlets advertising his American Indian show in London. The penny dropped.
    On a summer visit to Washington DC I took the opportunity to visit the Smithsonian Institution’s American Indian museum. There, in the midst of an impressive series of galleries, were George Catlin’s paintings of Indians. Among them were some of the very same people who had visited Dublin. The above image is of Chief White Cloud who was certainly on parts of the tour, but I cannot find confirmation of his being in Dublin. The paintings are worth a visit to the museum on their own. They are beautiful formal portraits, their subjects posed in the style of any nineteenth-century gentleman or woman. I am sure they are stylized, but they are clearly paintings of individual people executed by someone who knew them.
    Catlin visited Ireland in May of 1843, where he delivered a series of lectures in the Rotunda (yes, same as the hospital). Admission was a relatively pricy 2s/1s and the lectures included ‘tableux vivants’ of the Indians themselves, dressed in costume and performing traditional dances and songs. They seem to have spent time in Britain both before and after their tour of Ireland. In December of 1843, the Indians were introduced to Queen Victoria. The Indians met with a very enthusiastic reception most places that they went and, according to Catlin, very much enjoyed their adventure (particularly the discovery of champagne).
    Catlin was certainly no saint and his European tour with the American Indians did no harm to his career as a writer and painter. His book on this tour is well worth a read, even just for the section on Dublin. Catlin’s principle book on the ‘manners and customs’ of the Indians whom he travelled amongst reads something like a natural history. Catlin’s view of the Indians, while more sympathetic than most, leaned towards the ‘noble savage’. Although he called the Indians his friends, he referred to them in the contemporary paternalistic language as savages and simpletons.

http://puesoccurrences.com/2010/11/04/ireland-and-the-american-indians/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Is there that much anti-Indian sentiment in films, though? I've not seen all that much, maybe it was only in the serials rather than in the higher-qualiyu 'classics' that people still watch.

Also, here's Ireland's last Indian.
    hailtochief000629_display.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

when I heard years ago about this story regarding the Choctaw Indians when I was about 10 , my eyes where opened and started to question what was perceived as the "good" guys through out history

http://celticclothing.com/mm5/irish-american/cc07-03-irish-famine.php

One hundred and sixty years ago this week in 1847, the Indians of the Choctaw nation took up a collection. Moved by news of starvation in Ireland, a group of Choctaws gathered in Scullyville, Oklahoma to raise a relief fund. Despite their meager resources, they collected $170 and forwarded it to a U.S. famine relief organization. It was both the most unlikely and the most generous contribution to the effort to relieve Ireland’s suffering.

I always love that Choctaw story.

There were a lot of Irish at the Little Big Horn , around 15% of Custers force were Irish .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

goose2005 wrote: »
    Is there that much anti-Indian sentiment in films, though? I've not seen all that much, maybe it was only in the serials rather than in the higher-qualiyu 'classics' that people still watch.

Yes, there was a lot of negative stuff on screen surrounding the portrayal of native Americans. A famous moment occurred in 1973 [which I can well remember] was at the Academy Awards when Marlon Brando sent an American Indian on stage to reject his award. This was around the time when movies began to be more conscious of how various ethnic groups had been depicted on screen and changes did eventually occur.
    Brando’s best-known appeal for Indian rights came in 1973, when he won the Academy Award for best actor in “The Godfather.”
    Instead of appearing at the awards, he sent [American Indian] Sasheen Littlefeather to reject the Oscar and voice his anger over Hollywood’s portrayal of Indians in films.

“I think that was a pretty powerful statement by sending Sasheen to decline the Oscar. He was a contributor to the change of the image of Indians,” said Michael Smith, founder of the American Indian Film Institute in San Francisco.

In 1992, Brando called for his name to be removed from the credits for the film “Christopher Columbus: The Discovery.”

Brando, who played Grand Inquisitor Torquemada, said the finished film did not show the explorer’s role in the “genocidal obliteration” of Indians.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

I hope the link works to the Academy award event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

indian wars : little bighorn part 1

indian wars : little bighorn part 2

Two things I remember about this.

The first is that Carlowman Captain Myles Keoghs horse survived and the other is that the Indians had the more modern repeating rifles to the army issue single shot and the army issue weapons were not suitable for the type of close combat they found themselves in.
    Survivors of the remaining seven companies of the 7th Cavalry asserted that the Indians were equipped with repeating rifles and mentioned Winchesters as often as not. Major Marcus Reno claimed: 'The Indians had Winchester rifles and the column made a large target for them and they were pumping bullets into it.' Although some white survivors claimed to be heavily outgunned, Private Charles Windolph of Company H was probably closest to the truth when he estimated that half the warriors carried bows and arrows, one-quarter of them carried a variety of old muzzleloaders and single-shot rifles, and one-quarter carried modern repeaters.

http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-little-bighorn-were-the-weapons-the-deciding-factor.htm

So really the indians had more manpower and firepower and as they hunted for food better marksmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Interesting thread. "We need to attack them because they have repeating rifles" "We need to attack them because they have weapons of mass destruction." Maybe?
    I bet they were terrorising people anyway.
    "They" being the people where the gold/oil is, of course.

Wonder what America would be like if it hadn't been colonised, and if the native culture hadn't been wiped out.

Interesting thread. "We need to attack them because they have repeating rifles" "We need to attack them because they have weapons of mass destruction." Maybe?

The "we" being the Irish Emigrants too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Nuke1973

Sorry, slightly pissed after the rugby, but I can't resist adding this from the "Famous last words thread" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055722620

Some 78 years later another adventurous army officer made the same mistake and divided his forces before the Battle of Little Bighorn....this time General Armstrong Custer was the last man to die along with his entire command, and anecdotally his last words on seeing the enormous Indian force (estimated 1,800+) facing his (200+) detachment of the 7th Cavalry were "Hurrah, boys, we've got them! We'll finish them up and then go home to our station." These last words are often referred to as "Where did all these f.......n indians come from?"

General Custer ?? He was a lieutenant colonel in the 7th cavalry when he died. Although he had briefly been a breveted major general in the civil war but the rank was basically a temporary field commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nuke1973 wrote: »
    General Custer ?? He was a lieutenant colonel in the 7th cavalry when he died. Although he had briefly been a breveted major general in the civil war but the rank was basically a temporary field commission.

I think you're being a bit pedantic here, while technically you're correct, in the memory of most people he will always be referred to as General Custer.

I think you're being a bit pedantic here, while technically you're correct, in the memory of most people he will always be referred to as General Custer.

You' re right, despite the changes in rank that he went through he was usually - and frequently referred to as 'General' both in newspapers at the time and even in reports. His nickname acquired during the Civil War was 'The Boy General'.

general-custer.jpg
    George Armstrong Custer

Custer had to adjust to his new experiences on the frontier – and his relationship with the army was frequently testy . He had been a great hero of the Civil War – on the Union northern side - but the Indians presented a very different enemy from the Confederate Army. The army discovered that what they were now fighting was essentially what later would be known as guerilla warfare. They soon learned that confronting the Indians did not work because they would soon disperse and hide – and engage in surprise attacks. What the army then concentrated on what trying to surround an Indian village and attack without allowing the Indians escape.

Some of the background to all this was the fact that in the Dakota Territory in April of 1868, the Treaty of Fort Laramie granted the Sioux nation ownership of the Black Hills, which were considered sacred grounds for the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians. The discovery of gold by Custer and other agents of the US Government sent specifically to explore resources altered all that and imperial expansion was soon underway with white settlers pouring into the region. Typical of this expansion was the use of force to conquer, control and if the natives got in the way then they were simply to be wiped out.The European imperialists were doing precisely the same thing in India, Africa.
    Nathaniel Philbrick The Last Stand:

America was not the only place in the world where Western and indigenous peoples were coming into conflict in the late nineteenth century. Little Bighorn-like battles had been or were about to be fought in India, the Middle East, and Africa – most spectacularly at Isandlwana in 1879, when twenty-four thousand Zulus annihilated a British force of more than thirteen hundred men.
    The mistake for the Cavalry at Little Bighorn was that Sitting Bull had gathered a huge amount of Indian warriors around him in the summer of 1876 – many coming off the reservations - and this was not known by the army.

Here’s a description from Michael Elliot in Custerology
    Custer’s main concern was not being outnumbered but eluded. Conventional army wisdom held that the principal asset of Plains Indians was their mobility, their ability to disperse instantly into smaller groups that could travel more quickly and easier than army columns burdened by clumsy supply trains and the difficulty of find forage for their horses. From the moment on June 23rd when the Seventh Cavalry left its camp on the Yellowstone [river] for Custer’s final march – first south along the Rosebud then south on to Little Bighorn – every decision that its leader made was driven by this fear of evasion.

Wonder what America would be like if it hadn't been colonised, and if the native culture hadn't been wiped out.

The native culture was mostly wiped out by European diseases, and if the British hadn't conquered and colonised it, it would have become part of the Spanish Empire - it would be interesting to see how the world would work if all of America was Latin America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The native culture was mostly wiped out by European diseases, and if the British hadn't conquered and colonised it, it would have become part of the Spanish Empire - it would be interesting to see how the world would work if all of America was Latin America.
    I mean if it hadn't been colonised at all - if the original culture had not been disturbed. I didn't say anything about British colonisation specifically tbf.

European diseases huh? Like smallpox, from being given blankets with smallpox in them?

I mean if it hadn't been colonised at all - if the original culture had not been disturbed. I didn't say anything about British colonisation specifically tbf.
    Well, the lack of iron and horses, the north-south geographic orientation and the smaller population would have prevented any really technologically advanced culture evolving. There were thousands of "original cultures", all of whom disturbed each other, but I don't think the Amerindians ever advanced beyond Bronze Age levels of technology.
    European diseases huh? Like smallpox, from being given blankets with smallpox in them?

Smallpox, typhus, measles, influenza, bubonic plague, cholera, malaria, mumps, yellow fever, pertussis, all of which were unknown in the Americas. They spread person to person and animal (horses, pigs, chickens etc.) to person; deliberate infection happened, but probably 10,000 to 1 outnumbered by ordinary transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

All of you interested in what MIGHT have happened to the USA - you need to read a book of alternative history called 'Climb the Wind' by Pamela Sargent.

The cover note reads - 'What if the warlike Indian nations of the High Plains had united under a single strong leader [like Sitting Bull] - what if they had struck eastward into a crippled America, reeling under the hardships and agonies of the recent Civil War?'

What indeed.

tac

My Master Chief Warrant Officer was a full-blood Blackfoot whose family moved up into Canada so that they could all join the Canadian Army and fight the Germans. Some got decorated doing so, and all came home again.

He used to go back to Upper NY State to meet up with other members of his extended family every year, as they had been doing for countless years before. He would always have a chuckle to himself when he was asked by the Border control going into the USA - 'How long do you intend to stay in the USA?' He always wanted to answer 'Until the seas run dry and the moon comes out in the day, and until the white man disappears for ever...'

Very droll guy - we loved him.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    My Master Chief Warrant Officer was a full-blood Blackfoot whose family moved up into Canada so that they could all join the Canadian Army and fight the Germans. Some got decorated doing so, and all came home again.

Did the Blackfoot have a beef with the Germans ?

• Advertisement

Not particularly the Germans, but they were white men that they could fight with legitimately and get paid for doing so.

So Mike said [shrug].

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

We might know the answer to that in another 50 years or so. The simple fact is that the Native Americans are already beginning to outbreed the "white" settlers in the US. The vector for this is the massive immigration, some of it legal, much of it not, into the US from Latin American countries to the south and in the Carribean.

These are by and large the descendants of the Aztecs, Mayans and if you go further south Incas that the Spanish superceded but never wiped out to the same extent that the "Americans" did to the "Red Indians" to the north.

The fear of the consequences of being a minority in their adopted continent is a large part of the "ideology" (sic) underpinning the Tea Party movement and their demand for a return to the attitudes of a rapidly disappearing America.

The Native Americans are regaining their continent. It's inevitable.

Hey I found this link to early emigration and Native American contact

http://www.rasnoft.net/Photos/ScotsIrish/ulster.html
    At War
    [The Scots/Irish did not have the same peaceful relationship with the Indians which the Germans enjoyed, so there were numerous individual clashes between the two even when they were at peace. During the French and Indian War, the Scots/Irish were among the first to suffer, and among those who suffered the most.] The Augusta Stone Church in the Shenandoah Valley became a refuge against the Native Americans. At Tickling Spring, 10 mi. from Augusta, many died at the hands of Native Americans. The Gilmers, the Hamiltons, and the McKees suffered severely. [After the French and Indian War was won by the English in Europe and on the seas and the Colonists in North America, the Colonists and especially the Scots/Irish were full of self confidence and ready to take on anything. They started becoming active in the government of the colonies, and they were for autonomy and independence. When the English started taxing the colonies to pay for the reconstruction of the English economy and military, the colonists objected severely. Many of the tax collectors who were specified by the Stamp Act were beaten, ran out of town, tarred and feathered, and rode out of town on rails. When that was deemed a failure, and the tariff was imposed on many trade goods which were sent to the colonies, i.e.. tea, the colonists were fed up.]

CDfm wrote: »
    Two things I remember about this.

The first is that Carlowman Captain Myles Keoghs horse survived and the other is that the Indians had the more modern repeating rifles to the army issue single shot and the army issue weapons were not suitable for the type of close combat they found themselves in.
    Quote:
    Survivors of the remaining seven companies of the 7th Cavalry asserted that the Indians were equipped with repeating rifles and mentioned Winchesters as often as not. Major Marcus Reno claimed: 'The Indians had Winchester rifles and the column made a large target for them and they were pumping bullets into it.' Although some white survivors claimed to be heavily outgunned, Private Charles Windolph of Company H was probably closest to the truth when he estimated that half the warriors carried bows and arrows, one-quarter of them carried a variety of old muzzleloaders and single-shot rifles, and one-quarter carried modern repeaters.

Major Reno was piece of work himself and his own later testimony was to defend himself. He was accused of being responsible for Custer's death at Little Bighorn. He had what historians describe as “an undistinguished Civil War record’, drank liberally and had ambitions to lead the 7th Cavalry, but his chance at glory had never come.

There was a split in the army because of what was perceived as Custer’s behaviour at a previous Plains attack – massacre - on a Cheyenne village at Wash/ita in 1868 where the cavalry attacked and killed - in addition to Indian warriors - mostly undefended women, children and older people. It turned out to be a debacle as other Cheyenne Indians then came back up the river to attack the army. In his retreat Custer was later accused of abandoning Major Joel Elliott in the field and Elliott was killed. His body was only recovered weeks later. Reno and others held this against Custer and the resentment lasted through and beyond the Battle of Little Bighorn.

Note: the 'profanity' filter won't allow me to write out the name W-a-s-h-i-t-a :pac:. That's why I wrote it as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

MarchDub wrote: »

Note: the 'profanity' filter won't allow me to write out the name W-a-s-h-i-t-a :pac:. That's why I wrote it as above.

To get around the filter put a fada on the i eg. Washíta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

There's a fantastic book called Bury My Heart at Woonded Knee that tracks the life of the Indian tribes as they get moved onto reservations. Pretty sad at times when you see how much they were cheated by the government. I'm not sure on how historically accurate it is, perhaps since we're used to the European side of the story, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

There's a fantastic book called Bury My Heart at Woonded Knee that tracks the life of the Indian tribes as they get moved onto reservations. Pretty sad at times when you see how much they were cheated by the government. I'm not sure on how historically accurate it is, perhaps since we're used to the European side of the story, but it's an interesting read nonetheless.

Well just to say that Dee Brown -[the author of the book you cite] had a respected reputation for bringing the issue of the Indian point to view to public awareness. He was a journalist, later a librarian and always defended his work by saying that he had the documents and could support anything that he wrote about in his books.

Bury my Heart
    was first published around 40 years ago so it was unusual for its day. When I was at the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian - a few years ago now - his work was prominently on display. So the American Indians certainly like him.

dubhthach wrote: »
    To get around the filter put a fada on the i eg. Washíta

I like it! That's what I call true Hibernicisation....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

'The only good Indian is a dead Indian'
    U. S. Grant (Scots Irish)

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    'The only good Indian is a dead Indian'
    U. S. Grant (Scots Irish)

Yes well Grant's administration had a lot of blood on its hands. When he convened a meeting in Nov of 1875 with his cabinet and the Generals to discuss Indian policy he and the Generals made two fateful decisions:

In spite of the Fort Laramie Treaty [which stated that the Black Hills lands were granted to the Sioux forever and which Grant now refused to uphold] they would do absolutely nothing to prevent white settlers/gold miners from flooding into the Black Hills area. And they issued an ultimatum: any Lakota Sioux or Cheyenne Indians that refused to come in to the reservations by the end of January 1876 would be considered 'hostile', and the army would be used to bring them in.

And the rest, as they say....

Advertisement