Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Law

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

IIRC, you need the LLB or BCL to sit the New York Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Yes you do need the LLB/BCL to sit the new york bar. I attended a talk from Friary Law today about the NYB and they said if you have a language like French, German etc and the NYB employment prospects are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 apriori

minimary wrote: »
    I want to do the B.Corp Intl. and then hope to do the New York Bar, I know its better to do the LLB afterwards can you be eligible for the New York bar without it?

If you have your heart set on the New York Bar then you are best off doing Civil law because you could proceed straight away to the FE-1s, you are allowed sit to the NY Bar exam. Moreover, I don't see the point in you doing business (as in B.Corp) related subjects and losing valuable legal training as per BCL. Doing the B.Corp, whilst having your heart set on NY, is merely adding an extra year because you will have to do the LLB to satisfy the entry requirements for the FE-1s. The LLB itself costs €6,000.
    I think you are moving too quickly. Presumably, you have never studied law yet your career choice is based on something three years down the road. If you can see yourself really sticking to that goal, and not being enticed by a raft of other equally good employment opportunities, then by all means do. But, honestly, American has the highest ratio of attorneys to citizens (2 million) and NY its itself is home to 77,000 members - little fish in big water comes to mind. I am not trying to put you off NY, sure I would love to do it myself, but it is just that your career choice is something that becomes clear to you as you progress through your undergrad. Certain things will, hopefully, interest you; others will not. The classic example is every first thrilled at the thought of studying Criminal law. Bad guys, murders, gore and all that... yeah not really. It is like watching paint dry...mens rea anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eimzxo

I'm considering doing Corporate Law in September. I was wondering if anyone on here has done the course and if they would recommend it over the Civil law. I'm worried about courses points going up because of the higher level maths!

What do ye guys think of Corrib for the crack? I've heard its a dump, but i dont care about living in luxury, it's college afterall! Also whats the vibe like around campus?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Hello All!
    I hate to revive a dead thread but here I go anyway :)
    So after all that I did finally get Civil Law in the end! But now that I've got it, I'm terrified, everyone keeps telling me there is no jobs in law and I'm basically screwed. So I have a few questions, I hope someone can help me out with them!

As Civil Law is lower points then most other law courses e.g. those up in Dublin would the law degree in NUIG be of less value for employment as a degree for UCD etc would be?

Does anyone know the procedure for going abroad with a law degree, is it possible, am I employable with an Irish law degree?

If it comes to it and my nerves take over would it be possible to transfer from law to a different course e.g. Comp. Science and I.T. which was my second CAO choice? Ye may not be able to answer this!

Anyway, I hope some one can get back to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 apriori

Hello All!
    I hate to revive a dead thread but here I go anyway :)
    So after all that I did finally get Civil Law in the end! But now that I've got it, I'm terrified, everyone keeps telling me there is no jobs in law and I'm basically screwed. So I have a few questions, I hope someone can help me out with them!

As Civil Law is lower points then most other law courses e.g. those up in Dublin would the law degree in NUIG be of less value for employment as a degree for UCD etc would be?

Does anyone know the procedure for going abroad with a law degree, is it possible, am I employable with an Irish law degree?

If it comes to it and my nerves take over would it be possible to transfer from law to a different course e.g. Comp. Science and I.T. which was my second CAO choice? Ye may not be able to answer this!

Anyway, I hope some one can get back to me :)

First off, with all due respect, you have yet to sit in a lecture theatre and you are already worried about the jobs market. There is no need. There are many people much further down the road than you and often they are worse off.

It is foolish to say that an NUI Galway law programme has "less value" than any other Irish law school. At a basic level, no single law degree in the country provides you with the qualification enabling you to straight into practice. Everyone, irrespective of law degree or part thereof ends up sitting the FE1s if they wish to enter the legal profession.

Indeed, if anything NUI Galway is one of the "better" law schools in the country. Recently, Law was voted the highest ranked discipline at NUI Galway, and the School of Law is ranked between 101 and 150 worldwide by QS World University Rankings by Subject 2012. [Source: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012/subject-rankings/social-science/law?page=4].

Yes you are employable across Europe and America with an Irish law degree, but that is an oversimplification. You have to qualify as a solicitor in your home country and then sit bar exams in the hostso that you have an equivalent qualification to practice.

However, you are really jumping the gun. Just chill, see if you like law first of all. Then take your time to figure out what you like best. Right now you may love Criminal law but end up wanting a career in the European Union. A niche area that suits you will become obvious throughout the 3 year course, so don't be worried now about getting a job. You will get one!

If you really despise law, then you may be able to transfer. I see you are keenly interested in computers so if law fails you, I would recommend that you transfer to BIS (business information systems) url]http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012/subject-rankings/social-science/law?page=4[/url.

Job prospects are excellent for this degree and you have the possibility of studying in America during year two. Also, don't think because the points were low that the course is ****. This course is everything that the likes of Google and Facebook look for once it is supported by a post-grad study.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

apriori wrote: »
    First off, with all due respect, you have yet to sit in a lecture theatre and you are already worried about the jobs market. There is no need. There are many people much further down the road than you and often they are worse off.

It is foolish to say that an NUI Galway law programme has "less value" than any other Irish law school. At a basic level, no single law degree in the country provides you with the qualification enabling you to straight into practice. Everyone, irrespective of law degree or part thereof ends up sitting the FE1s if they wish to enter the legal profession.

Indeed, if anything NUI Galway is one of the "better" law schools in the country. Recently, Law was voted the highest ranked discipline at NUI Galway, and the School of Law is ranked between 101 and 150 worldwide by QS World University Rankings by Subject 2012. [Source: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012/subject-rankings/social-science/law?page=4].

Yes you are employable across Europe and America with an Irish law degree, but that is an oversimplification. You have to qualify as a solicitor in your home country and then sit bar exams in the hostso that you have an equivalent qualification to practice.

However, you are really jumping the gun. Just chill, see if you like law first of all. Then take your time to figure out what you like best. Right now you may love Criminal law but end up wanting a career in the European Union. A niche area that suits you will become obvious throughout the 3 year course, so don't be worried now about getting a job. You will get one!

If you really despise law, then you may be able to transfer. I see you are keenly interested in computers so if law fails you, I would recommend that you transfer to BIS (business information systems) url]http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012/subject-rankings/social-science/law?page=4[/url.

Job prospects are excellent for this degree and you have the possibility of studying in America during year two. Also, don't think because the points were low that the course is ****. This course is everything that the likes of Google and Facebook look for once it is supported by a post-grad study.

Best of luck

This post actually helped me so much and thanks for it. At the time of posting I was feeling a bit frantic and worried and sometimes ya can't help looking way ahead into the future even though as you said it's pretty pointless. I had thought that for going to America you didn't need to qualify here, you just had to get the degree then go and sit the bar. However I feel a lot better about studying Law now and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I enjoy it and can go on to do a good post-grad. Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement