Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

joujoujou wrote: »
    Leave them.

They don't even know Irish road traffic rules well enough, so it's really too much hassle to educate them this way.

Who are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What I mean is, he gets a green light and then approaches a junction with a yield sign. Surely then it is the yield instruction that the cam car should be following.

Well, that's the whole point of the discussion, that it isn't the yield instruction.
    Yield sign is there in case traffic lights don't work.
    When they work, then you don't obey the yields sign.
    That's how this junction is designed.
    When cam-car had green light, traffic on other road had red light, which doesn't allow them to go.
    So there's no point in obeying yield signs there by vehicles coming on green light, as they would have no one to yield to, as all vehicles on other road have red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Some colorful language in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

K.Flyer wrote: »
    A Close One

*I can talk you through this, you see, the driver of the blue car saw the cops and the road signs, got confused with which one took priority, panicked and hit the cop car, didn't feel like he wanted to stick around and fill out the forms by the look of it.

*Tongue firmly in cheek

Have to say I was impressed with the cop getting back on his feet and running after the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That is so old the cops were trying to stop the car this was on tv years ago

Motorway cops BBC if I am not mistaken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

That is so old the cops were trying to stop the car this was on tv years ago Motorway cops BBC if I am not mistaken.

Don't be such a party pooper

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Take a look at some of the cars, these are not powerful Audis / BMW etc.
    Some of these are seriously shocking. These videos are from Poland, too but hopefully they are dangerous clearly enough to not to cause another 3 pages long discussion;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some skill involved:pac:

No crashes punisher dissapopinted:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Chippy01

wonski wrote: »
    Take a look at some of the cars, these are not powerful Audis / BMW etc.
    Some of these are seriously shocking. These videos are from Poland, too but hopefully they are dangerous clearly enough to not to cause another 3 pages long discussion;)

]

Heaven forbid that should be any discussions on a discussion forum ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chippy01 wrote: »
    Heaven forbid that should be any discussions on a discussion forum ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You know what I meant;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

These videos are from Poland, too but hopefully they are dangerous clearly enough to not to cause another 3 pages long discussion;)
    They drive like that as they don't have a proper motorway network and you get trapped behind slow trucks/convoys/old people for miles.

Ok, it's not safe obviously but the bellends on Irish roads would drive like that if you still had to go through each town from Belfast to Cork. And, the driving would degenerate to the type of driving you see in those Polish videos very quickly.

aphex™ wrote: »
    They drive like that as they don't have a proper motorway network and you get trapped behind slow trucks/convoys/old people for miles.

Ok, it's not safe obviously but the bellends on Irish roads would drive like that if you still had to go through each town from Belfast to Cork. And, the driving would degenerate to the type of driving you see in those Polish videos very quickly.

A lot of these videos have been recorded in city centres - nothing to do with lack of motorways.

Well, no longer that 10 years ago, there was virtually no motorways in Ireland at all, and double carriage ways were very rare thing.
    Driving from Donegal to Cork would be all day journey. Galway to Dublin at least half a day.
    And you know what - I don't recall things like on wonski's video happening here on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

A lot of these videos have been recorded in city centres - nothing to do with lack of motorways.
    The vast majority of the Polish videos were quite clearly not in city centres.
    CiniO wrote: »
    Well, no longer that 10 years ago, there was virtually no motorways in Ireland at all, and double carriage ways were very rare thing.
    Driving from Donegal to Cork would be all day journey. Galway to Dublin at least half a day.
    And you know what - I don't recall things like on wonski's video happening here on Irish roads.
    That's because they're compiled from hundreds of hours of footage.

I see driving like that on Motorways every day here, but if you translate it to a one lane carriageway for 20km as shown on the Polish videos, you'd get the same thing on Irish roads.

That's because they're compiled from hundreds of hours of footage.

I see driving like that on Motorways every day here, but if you translate it to a one lane carriageway for 20km as shown on the Polish videos, you'd get the same thing on Irish roads.

Completely don't agree with you.
    There's still plenty of routes in Ireland with no motorways at all, and generally roads here are way narrower and of worse quality than in Poland.

And even though, I still don't see in Ireland idiots like on the video from Poland.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that everyone drives like that in Poland. They don't. Most people drive absolutely normally, and very carefully.
    But there's a small minority of drivers there, who do those mad things like on the video.
    And even if it's very small minority (f.e. 0.5% so 1 driver per 200), then such minority in Ireland is way smaller. (f.e. 0.01% so 1 driver per 10000).
    You just don't really see such behaviour here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CiniO wrote: »
    4. Why it's always worth having a good look around before going on green light. Watch from about 0:50
    In regards to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTN7HHRlpg#t=55 it would seem that the only "green light" that the driver got was from a pedestrian crossing (zebra crossing on the road gives it away). At the junction, after the lights, you have a yield sign.

He then went from a minor to a major road (the yield sign signifies this), without yielding to oncoming traffic, and whilst crossing multiple lanes without due and attention, got hit from the side.

the_syco wrote: »
    In regards to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTN7HHRlpg#t=55 it would seem that the only "green light" that the driver got was from a pedestrian crossing (zebra crossing on the road gives it away). At the junction, after the lights, you have a yield sign.

He then went from a minor to a major road (the yield sign signifies this), without yielding to oncoming traffic, and whilst crossing multiple lanes without due and attention, got hit from the side.

Please don't start the discussion from the beginning.
    Browse through last few pages, where I clearly explained that light was not for pedestrian crossing, but for the whole junction, and clio that cam driver collided with had red light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

This

Junction from the direction the red car came from

Then of course there's always the Polish rules of Red Lights anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Chippy01

the_syco wrote: »

Actually, the cam-car drove into the side of the Clio, but that could be a result of the Clio driver swerving to avoid the cam-car.

CiniO said that the Polish police have put this to bed, so our take on it is probably mute at this stage.

Next controversy please ....... ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I have noticed that more and more we have the pointless comparison of Ireland and Poland.
    For the life of me I can't figure out why, they are both completely different when it comes to driving. There they are willing to take unbelievable risks to get in front and here we have far too many Yaris drivers.
    I could understand if we were compared to the UK where our rules are similar but Poland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Ah here, chew over this one for a while. What happened here? The GTI seems to throw a wobbly in the merge. It's not like he was in a hurry, he settled down to just below the speed limit.

*More home-grown video needed in this thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Gosub wrote: »
    Ah here, chew over this one for a while. What happened here? The GTI seems to throw a wobbly in the merge. It's not like he was in a hurry, he settled down to just below the speed limit.

Ach, he was just giving her wellie...

Gosub wrote: »

*More home-grown video needed in this thread*
    The daftest thing is that the GTI had an aux lane to run in and could have merged much later ( & safer), there was no need to jump into lane 1 so early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

The daftest thing is that the GTI had an aux lane to run in and could have merged much later ( & safer), there was no need to jump into lane 1 so early.
    It looked like there might have been a bit of 'previous' with the MG (?) He seemed to dart into lane before the Golf had a chance. Prolly why the Golf driver decided to make him a dot in his rear view mirror.

not to cause another 3 pages long discussion;)

TBH, I have witnessed almost every one of those manoeuvres on Irish roads over the years.
    There are idiots everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

In a hurry to have an accident I'd say.
    Happened last Friday in the rain,
    I was doing 90kph in a 100 zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what was wrong with that? Maybe a little fast but...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement