Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Bohrio wrote: »
    The main problem with phone cameras is the field of view, also most people use the phone in a vertical position so for optimal perfomance horizontal is the way to go.

phones have their good bits too... but i rather keep the phone is my pocket and use the dash camera instead.
    i've always had my phone in landscape mode, it makes it easier to use the GPS etc. and the dash cam app works much better too.

as for the field of view, you can pick up one of these to fix that: http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=mobile+wide+angle&_arm=1&_armi=Drives%2C+Storage+%26+Blank+Media&_armm=94&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fsch%2FDrives-Storage-Blank-Media-%2F165%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3Dmobile%2Bwide%2Bangle%26_arr%3D1&_rdc=1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR4PodzDJGEkMaZ56FDNbBTOPe3JSmj_Nu31_fdhic1WdOoE32zg

it just needs the magnetic metal ring that it attaches to gluing into your phone holder so you can still add or remove it if you want to and you're all set with a decent field of view. :)

it's slightly distorted, but you get a much wider view on the video. you can get fisheye ones as well if you want to go all out, but i don't like the effect on the video personally. the wide angle one is just about right imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi everyone,
    I'm at my wits end here. I have a few Xdriven (UB1/UBone.co.kr) DRS1100 recorders. One seemed to stop working and I suspected it to be the SD card but I decided to do a firmware update at the same time. I put this firmware on it: http://www.ubone.co.kr/cs/etc_view.asp?pag...rd=&s_word=

I formatted the SD card and put the .bin file on it, turned on the DRS1100 and the lights illuminated and then went off immediately and nothing else came on. Nothing happened with the SD card, and now it seems like it's not working at all. Because there was a problem with that DRS1100, I decided to try the same sd card on two more and the same thing happened to them both. So now I've potentially 3 broken DRS1100 :(

The only reassurance I have is that I seem to remember the very first one I got, I think I had a similar problem which I eventually fixed, I just have absolutely no recollection of how.

I've tried 3 different SD cards and it's the same thing. I've tried an SD card which is from a DRS1100 which is still working fine, but the .bin file on it and nothing different happened as to when I put the .bin file on formatted SD cards, from 2GB to 4GB. Same thing, both lights come on when I plug it in, then nothing happens until I plug it out again, where the two lights flick illuminate and then fade out.

No beeping, no flashing, nothing.

Please, if anyone can help I'd greatly greatly appreciate it!

All units are DRS1100 as stated on the sticker on the unit, doesn't mention PRO on the sticker..

Anyone see this one before? Blackvue DR400G-HD

Seems to be the newest and best Blackbox recorder around. Has all the essential features and a nice full HD capture quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLs1PziqWY

Look at some of the 1080p videos on youtube for a proper example of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've always had my phone in landscape mode, it makes it easier to use the GPS etc. and the dash cam app works much better too.

as for the field of view, you can pick up one of these to fix that: http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=mobile+wide+angle&_arm=1&_armi=Drives%2C+Storage+%26+Blank+Media&_armm=94&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fsch%2FDrives-Storage-Blank-Media-%2F165%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3Dmobile%2Bwide%2Bangle%26_arr%3D1&_rdc=1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR4PodzDJGEkMaZ56FDNbBTOPe3JSmj_Nu31_fdhic1WdOoE32zg

it just needs the magnetic metal ring that it attaches to gluing into your phone holder so you can still add or remove it if you want to and you're all set with a decent field of view. :)

it's slightly distorted, but you get a much wider view on the video. you can get fisheye ones as well if you want to go all out, but i don't like the effect on the video personally. the wide angle one is just about right imho.

Interesting little gadget!

I prefer to have a dash cam... i rather dont have to worry about setting everything up on each journey, and also being able to leave the camera on while parked in case someone does a hit and run is handy. Also, in the event of an accident i dont know how well the phone cradle will hold.

Maybe im just lazy... i do get your point though... it is handy using your phone, and it does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

cormie wrote: »

Seems to be the newest and best Blackbox recorder around. Has all the essential features and a nice full HD capture quality.

Have it Cormie does an excellent job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Cormie, check out my review here.

Wow, that's some review :) But you reckon there's better out there still? You mention the pro's and cons that video is fuzzy, g-sensor too sensitive (this would be a problem in a big clunky van), bad audio and that there are better quality cams?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Wow, that's some review :) But you reckon there's better out there still? You mention the pro's and cons that video is fuzzy, g-sensor too sensitive (this would be a problem in a big clunky van), bad audio and that there are better quality cams?

There are better quality cameras.. as in units that take better video. I think in terms of the whole unit, I have not seen better. In terms of value for money, CiniO and some of the other guys picked up some decent units for less than half the price. Comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend.

I'd definitely be after the whole package myself in terms of GPS, software and a general "black box" unit as opposed to just a decent video recorder. So you reckon it's the best "black box" to date?

Bohrio wrote: »
    Interesting little gadget!

I prefer to have a dash cam... i rather dont have to worry about setting everything up on each journey, and also being able to leave the camera on while parked in case someone does a hit and run is handy. Also, in the event of an accident i dont know how well the phone cradle will hold.

Maybe im just lazy... i do get your point though... it is handy using your phone, and it does the trick
    funnily enough, i'm actually starting to come round to the permanent dashcam way of thinking. :)

that 720p one from a few pages back is cheap enough that you could have one in the front and rear to keep yourself (almost) totally covered without spending too much.

• Advertisement

I don't suppose there's a product out there that's:

A) A Blackbox
    B) A Sat Nav
    C) A gps tracker?

I know a smart phone could probably do it all, but would be nice to have a dedicated device always plugged in in the car, would be handy to have a rear view mirror attachment for it too so it's disguised, and the Sat nav screen could be switched off if not in use of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

You need a Car PC ;-)

That's what the cops have, in the UK anyway according to the Police-Camera-Action type programmes. If you look carefully, you can see a Windows-XP screensaver on their in-car PC screens.
    I don't suppose there's a product out there that's:

A) A Blackbox
    B) A Sat Nav
    C) A gps tracker?

Basq wrote: »
    is that the HD one techmoan reviewed?

sorely tempted to get a couple of those. :)

is that the HD one techmoan reviewed?

sorely tempted to get a couple of those. :)
    No.. this is the Techmoan one - it's twice the price of the one I linked to.

That one does look like the one to go for but the one for €30 looks decent enough too.

franksm wrote: »
    You need a Car PC ;-)

That's what the cops have, in the UK anyway according to the Police-Camera-Action type programmes. If you look carefully, you can see a Windows-XP screensaver on their in-car PC screens.
    i saw a demo of some software a couple of years ago that took in video from 4 fisheye lenses around a car and stitched together a full 360 degree view of the surroundings that was re-flattened out that would let you pan and zoom around to anywhere around the car during recording and playback of the video and even extrapolate a top down view.

it was being showcased as a driving aid for parking, but would make an awesome dash cam set up.

i've been meaning to build a car pc with front & rear dash cams and gps etc. for a couple of years now, but just never got around to it and with a 9 month old baby the size of a 2 year old eating all my money i doubt i ever will now! :o

Basq wrote: »
    No.. this is the Techmoan one - it's twice the price of the one I linked to.

That one does look like the one to go for but the one for €30 looks decent enough too.
    sod that, too cheap not to, just bought one there as a test. :D

as soon as i have it, i'll throw up some test video and a mini-review here for anyone who might want to take a punt on one.

it's a UK supplier, so hopefully he sends it out quickly enough and i have it by the weekend.

edit: feck it, just remembered we're going away on wednesday evening, so that might well screw up my plans if he's not quick off the mark. :(

double edit: :(
    Your item(s) should arrive between May 25 - May 31, 2012.

anyways, as soon as i have it in hand a review and sample video will be forthcoming. :)

as soon as i have it, i'll throw up some test video and a mini-review here for anyone who might want to take a punt on one.
    Good man.. will wait to hear your mini-review so vibe! ;)

i'm trying to see if he can post it sooner and use some kind of express delivery, but i just got an out of office email so i don't hold out much hope. :(

Surprised there's not a commercially available product that does the lot. Garmin should release a GPS with 1080p recorder and tracker :)

• Advertisement

Hope my videos will only ever be "near misses" or "gobshytery". Three more from the weekend:

Lucky kid

Bus lane asswipe from "a local gas services company". This guy does the old indicate-left then indicate-right trick to great effect.
    Apologies for the awful music, I had They Might Be Giants on shuffle :-D

Roundabout near Belfast - every time I use it, someone runs the red lights. Maybe it's a bad design, but there's no forgiving these gob****e drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Love how you cut the last video just before you gave him an earful :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

How are you guys wiring your cams? I've a E93 3 Series.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Sample pics of the interior attached.

attachment_large.php

BMW-M3-E93-Pickup-Interior-Design.jpg

Jeasras, that's nice...

I have mine wired into existing connections above the mirror.

On a TT, I had to use a multimeter to find what wires were 'live' when the ignition was on. The overhead console provides 12V for the map lights, which were useable. No wiring diagram for this car is easily available.

For the Jag, I did have a wiring diagram, so it was easier to find. I used wires which were to provide 12V for an X10 or garage-door-opener button.

In an MX5, which I have now removed the Roadhawk from (security reasons :eek:), there were no suitable connections available (only permanent 12V was provided to the console lamp) so I had to run wires along the inside of the windscreen trim and down to behind the dash. Not a big deal, but not the easiest thing to be doing. Brittle plastic in a 16 year old Mazda :D

TT
    3lampunit.jpg

XK8
    P1030108s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Nice setup frank, very neat i bet it's almost invisible from outside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Could be pircey enough, at least 50eur I reckon after all the "related" charges. You interested in getting one? Me too, or three or 4 if I've broken my DRS1100's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Could be pircey enough, at least 50eur I reckon after all the "related" charges. You interested in getting one? Me too, or three or 4 if I've broken my DRS1100's :(

Should be no related charges if your cute about it ;)

i'm surprised there isn't already a load of cheaper chinese knock offs of them by now, they look pretty awesome.

• Advertisement

What kind of build quality reputation does Korea have on electronics? I know Japan is high while China is low, where does Korea fall?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement