Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting some daily email updates

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Back a few months ago I subscribed to the Donegal forum and every night got emails of new threads.
    All of a sudden the emails stopped and no matter what I do like unfollowing and then following again I can't get it to work again.
    Its the same with a second account that I use also.
    Anybody any ideas why this might be happening. Its no big deal but it doesn't seem to be working as it should as I am following a couple of other forums and I get the updates for those no problem also theres no problem with thread updates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Go to user cp and click edit options, then scroll down to messages and notifications. Make sure default thread notification is set to daily updates or whatever you want. Basically make sure its not set to "do not follow".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Your subscription is set up and you are set up for a daily digest - a once per day email letting you know there have been X posts and X new threads in the forum. Please check your spam folder, there is nothing wrong with our mail queues and I'm getting my own daily digests.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,885 ✭✭✭✭muffler

On a good night I may get notifications of perhaps 3 or 4 updates to forums Im subscribed to out of a total of about 12 or 15. In fairness there would be the odd forum that has been inactive that day but even the forums I mod and are active still dont appear on the daily updates.

You are subscribed to 26 forums, with 20 of them set for daily digests - you're telling me that you're not receiving some digests and you have confirmed that the forums you're not receiving digests for actually have new posts in them? It makes no sense that you get a few digests and not the others

Danny here's a screen grab of my inbox from last night from which you will see I got notified of updates in 2 forums only. You can have a look for example at The Construction and Planning forum and it's sub forums and the Donegal forum as an example where you will see new threads posted yesterday. Im subscribed to all of those obviously but rarely get notified of updates (daily).

There are still some threads which have new posts that I dont get instant notification of but these are few and far between in fairness.

Personally I'm not worried about the daily updates but if it helps in any way by bringing it to your attention then its a bonus

Boards_notifiers.jpg

• Advertisement

The following is Monday nights updates. 3 forums with updates and 2 of those are the same as the forums I got updates for last night. Perhaps there is a trend there.

Boards_notifier_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I hadn't seen this thread and I had posted this in the main Moderator's forum.

So basically I am having the same issues.....:)

Any updates on this Danny?

Afraid not, it's down the list of priorities at the minute. I'll look at perhaps throwing a bit of logging on the digests to be sure we're sending you out everything that needs to be sent, no promises on a superfast turnaround on this, sorry about that.

No problem Danny. :)

I just asked as the OP here has another thread in the Help Desk about the issue. :)

You're probably on treble time at this time of night ;)

• Advertisement

I don't know if this is going live today for tonight's digest run but I should get a mail once a night with the total number of thread-based and forum-based digests sent grouped by user. So if you come in here and say you got 3 forum digests and should have got 10 I'll be able to check just how many were sent out to you. This should narrow down the issue, or shove the blame onto the email intertubes.

So yeah, step one...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I'm still only getting one daily update out of two.
    Satellite is ok Donegal is not. All thread updates come as they are posted

Relax on this, it's not exactly high priority at the minute - I haven't even managed to get counts of the digests being sent to be sent to me when the job runs yet. When I do, I'll post in here and you can tell me what you seem to be missing :)

Someone flushed the loo? :D

13 of them....... :)

Boards_3.jpg

I've got the logs here - we sent you 13 mails.

How many were you supposed to get?

pbarr wrote: »
    I'm still only getting one daily update out of two.
    Satellite is ok Donegal is not. All thread updates come as they are posted

While not doubting that there is an issue here, I've just checked your subscriptions and found that when you re-added Donegal as a subscribed forum you didn't enable email digests - you only followed Satellite with daily digests.

Please unfollow the forum and re-follow, this time ensuring you have selected Daily Notifications.

Planning & Construction mods.
    Eircom.
    Feedforward.

Just had a look there Danny and the 3 forums above all had updates yesterday but I didn't receive any daily notifications for them. The remainder of my subscribed forums had no new posts.

muffler wrote: »
    Eircom.
    Feedforward.

Just had a look there Danny and the 3 forums above all had updates yesterday but I didn't receive any daily notifications for them. The remainder of my subscribed forums had no new posts.

Yeah, I've spot the eircom one already here in the DB and am working through it. If I were to send out another digest right now you'd get 18 mails, but Feedforward and Planning/Construction mods wouldn't be on that list either. At least we're getting somewhere.

Muffler, Your subscription for Feedforward is not set up to receive daily digests - it's the only one out of your subscribed forums not set up to receive digests. Please unfollow and re-follow :) This is not the issue with Planning & Construction mods or eircom, there's something else going on there.

• Advertisement

Done. Thanks Danny. :)

While not doubting that there is an issue here, I've just checked your subscriptions and found that when you re-added Donegal as a subscribed forum you didn't enable email digests - you only followed Satellite with daily digests.

Please unfollow the forum and re-follow, this time ensuring you have selected Daily Notifications.

Danny I unfollowed and re followed there a few minutes ago and selected the daily emails, but I'm 99% sure I did that the last time as well.

Just reread your post.I only get 3 options when i follow to get emails daily, weekly or not at all.
    Wheres the difference between email digests and daily digests ?

Danny I unfollowed and re followed there a few minutes ago and selected the daily emails, but I'm 99% sure I did that the last time as well.

You didn't, because I could see you didn't in the database - your subscription email type was set to 0 for Donegal which is No emails, while your subscription email type was set to 2 for Satellite, which is daily emails.
    Just reread your post.I only get 3 options when i follow to get emails daily, weekly or not at all.
    Wheres the difference between email digests and daily digests ?

I was mistaken when I said email digests, I meant daily emails/daily digests.

I just redone it again, clicked follow forum, see the screen capture done at 21.46. Wonder did it show up this time.

Edit: I just unfollowed Satelliite also there at 21.58 just to see what happens.

muffler wrote: »
    Eircom.
    Feedforward.
    Muffler, Your subscription for Feedforward is not set up to receive daily digests - it's the only one out of your subscribed forums not set up to receive digests. Please unfollow and re-follow :) This is not the issue with Planning & Construction mods or eircom, there's something else going on there.
    All 3 forums mentioned above were included tonight. Looks like its been sorted now. You did know that hamsters needed feeding daily?

boards6.jpg

Mine is sorted as well. I was only following two forums anyway but was only getting updates for one.
    Got the Donegal one last night first time in months. Good job Danny.

Hi guys, this issue is not yet resolved but I've made progress :)

The old way of ordering sent out digests was to send them out in the order everyone subscribed (so if I subscribed to a forum 2 years ago I'd get my daily update way before somebody who subscribed to the same one yesterday). You'll notice the forums you weren't getting emails for were the more recent forums, and thus the ones that you could only subscribe to more recently. The old ordering also meant that your email updates were getting sent out at different times, as evidenced by muffler's screenshot above - first one comes in at 12:06, next one comes in at 12:08 and so on.

Thanks to a gut feeling yesterday, I changed the order to sort by User ID - which is why all of muffler's emails arrived at the same time this morning. It's probably also why he received all his emails. Coincidentally, yesterday I received my Site Development daily update but today I didn't which is probably because I'm user #489713, who'd be one of the last users scheduled to receive emails.

This is all pointing to a timeout - the script sending out your digests is running for too long (because there are so many subscriptions) and is being killed before it's finished. I'll look at it again on Monday, but if I'm right then now instead of everybody getting some forum updates and not others, there are some people (the ones with the higher user IDs) who are no longer getting any :( Not to worry, I should be able to bop this one on the head once I confirm that's what is happening.

Danny just posting this it may be of help to you with the troubleshooting. I'm getting the Donegal updates now but not the Satellite ones, the opposite of what was happening earlier.

Danny just posting this it may be of help to you with the troubleshooting. I'm getting the Donegal updates now but not the Satellite ones, the opposite of what was happening earlier.

From the logs of last night's daily digest run...
    Feb  6 00:07:24 - Daily Digest: Processing User ID : 58070
    Feb  6 00:07:24 - Daily Digest: Processing Forum ID : 948 
    Feb  6 00:07:24 - Daily Digest: Found 8 new/updated threads in the forum, checking permissions
    Feb  6 00:07:24 - Daily Digest: Found 1 new and 7 updated threads - sending digest

From our database...
    +---------+----------+--------------+
    | User ID | Forum ID | Digest Type  |
    |   58070 |       55 | No Digest    |
    |   58070 |      948 | Daily Digest |

As you can see, Satellite is set to no digest so you won't get any emails. I can only conclude you're doing something wrong at subscribe time. Unfollow Satellite and re-follow, making sure to select 'Once a day' in the popup.

As an update, I've confirmed what the issue is; it's a timeout but it's slightly more complicated/random than anticipated. I'm working on a solution at the minute though :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Danny,I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement