Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa A GSI

Options
  • 16-01-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all, I own a 1990 Corsa Gsi, its an irish car from new, and I'm trying to find out if any more of them survive, from my research so far I've failed to find another, I've seen/heard of a handful of 91-93 shape Opel Corsa Gsi's down through the years, but none of the earlier mk1 shape which I have, if anyone knows of another one I'd love to hear of it.

I've attached a pic of it.

I plan to restore it to original standard specification.

Thanks for looking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Hi all, I own a 1990 Corsa Gsi, its an irish car from new.
    188668.jpg
    I plan to restore it to original standard specification.

Thanks for looking
    Nice car, and nice to see it being kept original and not modded to death. Is the sunroof aftermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

kept original and not modded . Is the sunroof aftermarket?

Typical Irish compliment:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Bigus wrote: »
    Typical Irish compliment:eek:
    I guess when you look at it like that, your right! Its not what i meant though. oops!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Yes it is, sadly, horrible looking item, that'll be one of the more pain in the arse aspects of the restoration, it'll be getting a new roof skin and headlining, not looking forward to that job. It'll be a bare shell rebuild as i want everything to be done to a high standard. I'm also a considerable way thorough a reshell/build of a 90 nova gte tarmac rallycar , it'll be an interesting comparison doing the corsa alongside it, as the nova is being built for motorsport and therefore extensively modified to suit with almost every component changed or upgraded for heavier/motorsport spec , and the corsa will be built to a completely standard spec

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lepoatnam

Lovely looking car, I'm a huge Opel fan, haven't seen too many of those GSI Corsa's. If you are interested in Opel & Vauxhall it might be worth checking out the Opel Vauxhall Club Ireland. There is a facebook page and a forum for members. There is 2012 calendars also available. I do know a fella with a 1989 GTE Nova, could maybe put you in contact with him.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I'll check both of them out. What is he doing with the gte, is he restoring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lepoatnam

He's had it on the road for the last 3-4 years. Not sure what the plans are for it at the moment, I do know he won't be selling, do remember him saying it needed a little TLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Nice car mate, a car close to my heart ! :cool:

I worked for Michael Grant Opelcentre for 9 years, 1987-1995, during which time we only sold one brand new Corsa A GSI, a white one. It could in fact be your car as I recall it went outside Dublin and never came back.

I bought a 6 month old Belgian Corsa 1.4GT from a customer of ours, and fitted the GSI sills and had the grille painted, fitted 14" wheels and it basically looked identical to your car above. I also fitted the GSI door trims, front fogs lights, Weber Carb, K&N Filter, Janspeed exhaust, Koni suspension and central locking alarm.

I loved that car and kept it until 2001. My mother had used it from 1994-2001 at which time she needed power steering so it was sold to a friend who was looked for a competition car. Apparantly it still exists, in a shed somewhere.

The dealership also took in a red Corsa A GSI as trade in when it was 2 years old. Its reg was 90C 7122. A friend of mine bought it but changed jobs about 2 months later and it came back to us. My then girlfriend (now my wife) bought it, and loved it to this day. We sold it in 1995, changed to a Clio 16V. I sold the GSI to a friend of mine. I had fitted a good alarm again, immobiliser and cut off switch and left the chain and gear lever/handbrake lock in it and told him always to use them. Opels were the first choice for rampant joyriders back then and we were always conscious of this and very careful with these cars. Of course the wally called to a friend and LEFT THE CAR RUNNING and it was taken and found burnt out 3 days later !! :mad:

Would love if you kept us posted on both cars. I hope to build one again !

lepoatnam wrote: »
    He's had it on the road for the last 3-4 years. Not sure what the plans are for it at the moment, I do know he won't be selling, do remember him saying it needed a little TLC.

Do you know has he any spare parts for sale? I'm looking for some bits and pieces for the corsa, e.g. inlet manifold and injectors, airbox with afm and a few bits of trim etc

MercMad wrote: »
    Nice car mate, a car close to my heart ! :cool:

I worked for Michael Grant Opelcentre for 9 years, 1987-1995, during which time we only sold one brand new Corsa A GSI, a white one. It could in fact be your car as I recall it went outside Dublin and never came back.

I bought a 6 month old Belgian Corsa 1.4GT from a customer of ours, and fitted the GSI sills and had the grille painted, fitted 14" wheels and it basically looked identical to your car above. I also fitted the GSI door trims, front fogs lights, Weber Carb, K&N Filter, Janspeed exhaust, Koni suspension and central locking alarm.

I loved that car and kept it until 2001. My mother had used it from 1994-2001 at which time she needed power steering so it was sold to a friend who was looked for a competition car. Apparantly it still exists, in a shed somewhere.

The dealership also took in a red Corsa A GSI as trade in when it was 2 years old. Its reg was 90C 7122. A friend of mine bought it but changed jobs about 2 months later and it came back to us. My then girlfriend (now my wife) bought it, and loved it to this day. We sold it in 1995, changed to a Clio 16V. I sold the GSI to a friend of mine. I had fitted a good alarm again, immobiliser and cut off switch and left the chain and gear lever/handbrake lock in it and told him always to use them. Opels were the first choice for rampant joyriders back then and we were always conscious of this and very careful with these cars. Of course the wally called to a friend and LEFT THE CAR RUNNING and it was taken and found burnt out 3 days later !! :mad:

Would love if you kept us posted on both cars. I hope to build one again !

Hi there.

Thats interesting about that white gsi that was sold, it'd be a nice coincidence if it was my car. It was first registered on the 8th january 1990, does that date ring any bells? Unfortunately I haven't got the original owners details, I had it when I first aquired this car back in 2003, as I was given the original logbook then, but since buying it back last year, that logbook must have been lost and now it's a duplicate that I have with only the last two recent owners on it. I contacted opel ireland to see if any sales figures still existed to see how many corsa a gsi's were sold in the republic, but sadly those figures are long gone. I'd say very little were sold though.

Was your belgian corsa a lhd? It'd be nice to know what condition its in these days.

Thats a shame about the red corsa being burnt out, sad to see such a rare car go like that. When I first sold on the corsa back in 2003 (due to losing the use of the garage where the car was being stored) the next car I bought was also a clio 16v! I've had two of those, and a 19 16v chamade, very nice cars the renault 16v's.

Heres a link to the build of my gte http://totalopel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7973
    The corsa may be some time waiting before I get around to it, as I'm about halfway through a sierra td rebuild, along with the nova, and I want those finished first. For now, I'm just concentrating on preserving its current condition by keeping it properly stored, and gathering the nessecary parts for the restoration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

looks like it was well minded :cool:

not many left around now ,

allthough theirs a blue gsi around baltinglass ,will see if i can get you a pic

Hi there.

Thats interesting about that white gsi that was sold, it'd be a nice coincidence if it was my car. It was first registered on the 8th january 1990, does that date ring any bells? Unfortunately I haven't got the original owners details, I had it when I first aquired this car back in 2003, as I was given the original logbook then, but since buying it back last year, that logbook must have been lost and now it's a duplicate that I have with only the last two recent owners on it. I contacted opel ireland to see if any sales figures still existed to see how many corsa a gsi's were sold in the republic, but sadly those figures are long gone. I'd say very little were sold though.

Was your belgian corsa a lhd? It'd be nice to know what condition its in these days.

Thats a shame about the red corsa being burnt out, sad to see such a rare car go like that. When I first sold on the corsa back in 2003 (due to losing the use of the garage where the car was being stored) the next car I bought was also a clio 16v! I've had two of those, and a 19 16v chamade, very nice cars the renault 16v's.

Heres a link to the build of my gte http://totalopel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7973
    The corsa may be some time waiting before I get around to it, as I'm about halfway through a sierra td rebuild, along with the nova, and I want those finished first. For now, I'm just concentrating on preserving its current condition by keeping it properly stored, and gathering the nessecary parts for the restoration.

..............Yes I loved the Renault 16V.........real screamer and the Clio was stuck to the road.

My GT was RHD and I dont know its condition now, though I will attempt to buy it back. It was 6 months old when I bought it. I know Crawfords sold another red one about 1990 also and DG Opel sold at least one.

It could actually be that car as he one we did was in stock over Christmas as I was in on holiday coverage !

Like the rally car build, I'll probably end up doing the same !

manta mad wrote: »
    looks like it was well minded :cool:

not many left around now ,

allthough theirs a blue gsi around baltinglass ,will see if i can get you a pic

Yeah if you could get a pic I'd love to see it

MercMad wrote: »
    ..............Yes I loved the Renault 16V.........real screamer and the Clio was stuck to the road.

My GT was RHD and I dont know its condition now, though I will attempt to buy it back. It was 6 months old when I bought it. I know Crawfords sold another red one about 1990 also and DG Opel sold at least one.

It could actually be that car as he one we did was in stock over Christmas as I was in on holiday coverage !

Like the rally car build, I'll probably end up doing the same !

Cool, nice coincidence that! Another long shot question, can you remember what wheels it had when new, the ones in the above photo or the black/grey steel wheels with the silver lip?

Cool, nice coincidence that! Another long shot question, can you remember what wheels it had when new, the ones in the above photo or the black/grey steel wheels with the silver lip?

............I'm 99% certain it had the 14" steel grey sports wheels, same as my own which were 13".

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

Is this still ongoing? I have a mk1 corsa too that I'm using to build tarmac car with a 1.6 16v corsa sport engine and I'm currently on the look out for a clean mk2 corsa gsi.

Haven't started it yet, its in dry storage and don't plan to start it for a couple or years minimum yet as I've other projects on the go, just gathering parts for it as yet. Any project thread anywhere for your mk1 build?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Maybe a bit of the point but I was telling a friend of mine about this thread and he owned a GSI , but also he said he owned a car called an Opel Kadett Céad ?? does anyone remember them ? there was only 100 of them made ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Tiger72 wrote: »
    he said he owned a car called an Opel Kadett Céad ?? does anyone remember them ? there was only 100 of them made ...
    There was a guy on here who restored a kadett cead a while back.

I used to have a Nova 1.3SR back in the day 86D115 I put a GSi close ratio gearbox in it and Koni's which improved the handling considerable but did nothing for the ride quality.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Do-more wrote: »

I used to have a Nova 1.3SR back in the day 86D115 I put a GSi close ratio gearbox in it and Koni's which improved the handling considerable but did nothing for the ride quality.
    Jasus thanks for that ... my friend actually owned the Kadett Cead JZB 100 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

No project thread as it's kind of been ongoing with years. Just bought a nice original flame red corsa b gsi yesterday actually so the nova will probably get put on the long finger again. Kind of half thinking of sticking the 1ltr pushrod back into the nova and going into aotograss with it because I won't have the funds for any tarmac car realistically and I've the corsa now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

Love these, my first car 88MH ??? white and luminous green striping, grille and Ashley exhaust.

Was considering endurance rallying with an old Nova just to rekindle my youth again :)

Speaking of SR's look at this peach
    http://www.hollybrooksportscars.com/showroom/performance-and-prestige/vauxhall-nova-sr/

Nice thread that, cheers, love anything older Irish reg/market, especially if its rare, those Ceád's certainly seem well rare

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    No project thread as it's kind of been ongoing with years. Just bought a nice original flame red corsa b gsi yesterday actually so the nova will probably get put on the long finger again. Kind of half thinking of sticking the 1ltr pushrod back into the nova and going into aotograss with it because I won't have the funds for any tarmac car realistically and I've the corsa now too.

You sound like myself, if I didn't have so many projects I might have a chance of actually finishing something. What sort of spec are you currently doing the mk1 build to, with mine I'm trying to go vaguely towards works spec, as in some works spec mechanicals and shell fabrication and a standard looking white exterior with all the correct gte decals and trim etc in place

Smithzer wrote: »
    Love these, my first car 88MH ??? white and luminous green striping, grille and Ashley exhaust.

Was considering endurance rallying with an old Nova just to rekindle my youth again :)

Speaking of SR's look at this peach
    http://www.hollybrooksportscars.com/showroom/performance-and-prestige/vauxhall-nova-sr/

Saw that on pistonheads a while ago, stunning car, I wonder what sort of a price is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I want to bump this, restoring an old Nova GSI. Wondering, in the image, would those be the original wheels rims?

Or could someone maybe post me an image of what they came with, when bought new?

Would be much appreciated :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

read that, doesn't say anything about the rims that came with the facelifted gsi

These are the original SR/GTE (I think GTE had them) rims, not sure about the later GSI

6331871512_74f79e7054_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Speedline Alessios were the thing to have on your Nova back in the day

CarpoolNovaGSI_01.jpg

Advertisement