Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the Point of Going To Work

• 16-01-2012 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

With the crazy price of fuel is it worth going to work on an average wage. Its costing me 70 euros a week just to get to work, plus car tax and insurance. Also ware and tare on my Car. I am at the point of working does not pay over the dole. Time to take to the streets Folks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

With the crazy price of fuel is it worth going to work on an average wage. Its costing me 70 euros a week just to get to work, plus car tax and insurance. Also ware and tare on my Car. I am at the point of working does not pay over the dole. Time to take to the streets Folks.

Minimum wage easily covers this cost.
    Your on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Maybe look into moving closer to work, or try to get work closer to home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

Count yourself lucky my diesel costs 110euro a week and toll 20 euro and i earn 9 euro per hour .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Solutions

- Get a more economical car
    - Take public transport
    - Cycle 1/2 days
    - Get a job closer to home
    - Move closer to work
    - Ask for a pay rise
    - Get a higher paying job in the same area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

I car share with a colleague and it makes a huge difference. Try it if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

They keep turning the screws on wage earners. Sounds like you're reaching tipping point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Minimum wage easily covers this cost.
    Your on your own.

Yes, minimum wage will cover the transport costs. But it does not cover:

Rent/Mortgage
    Food
    Clothing
    Minimal entertainment (unless you rob Peter to pay Paul)
    Medical expenses if you do not hold a Medical Card...

Weekly MW is 337.65 BEFORE deductions.

Rent/Mortgage
    Food
    Clothing

If your on the min wage then luxuries are sacrificed and those things like clothing, medical expenses, entertainment are one off and should be rationed within your budget.
    Minimum wage in Ireland is 2nd highest in Europe, so their is no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

If your on the min wage then luxuries are sacrificed and those things like clothing, medical expenses, entertainment are one off and should be rationed within your budget.

can you explain what you mean by medical expenses being a 'one off'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

bluefinger wrote: »

You should have budgeted money aside for them. for example stop going out. there is your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You should have budgeted money aside for them. for example stop going out. there is your money

Medical expenses,
    get flu, every 3-4 years
    go to doc, get medicine, claim 20% back, rinse and repeat,
    around 70 euro*.8= 56 euro

get cancer etc,
    once off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Medical expenses,
    get flu, every 3-4 years
    go to doc, get medicine, claim 20% back, rinse and repeat,
    around 70 euro*.8= 56 euro

get cancer etc,
    once off

oh that's ok then, i thought you were serious.

Clothing's a one off???:eek: What do you mean by that? Clothing's not something you buy every week agreed, but clothing does need to be replaced from time to time, does it not?

How about my medical expenses for example? I need regular medication. How on earth do you pay for that on MW?

Rent? Well, if you live outside of Dublin, Cork, Galway, then the rent would be manageable - Just. If you happen to live in Dublin, then I'm afraid you'd be stuffed, never mind Cork...

Of course 'luxuries' (whatever you mean by that) are sacrificed. Talk about stating the bleeding obvious. YOU try living on MW, and then come back and talk to me about it.

I should also add: Yes, the MW might be the second highest in Europe. But then, the CoL here is one of the highest in Europe! Living here is certainly not cheap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jpaulb

Some of the people who have posted here have no idea what it is like to live on the min wage. The min wage might by high in Ireland but look at the cost of things in Ireland compared to other countries.
    Any one who is driving a distance to work and getting paid the min wage or above it would be better off on the dole when you take into consideration the cost of buying and running a car.
    The majority of people would prefer to work as living on the dole is not easy either. One of my friends has been out of work for a while and they have been called for an interview for a scheme paying €50 a week more than the dole. They will work 35 hours a week for this for over the next 8/9 months. My friend has no intention of going for this as they will not be used a form of cheap labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

Totally agree,I'm in a horrible Catch 22 situation,desperately want to work,have qualifications in a job relatively unaffected by the recession so the work's there.
    Problem is I live in a rented 2 bed with my 2 children,14 yr old boy,12 yr old girl,years waiting on social housing which would mean I could support my family without any financial assistance which I so much look forward to,I'm ashamed to say I'm on social welfare,none of my family are,but the horrible reality for me is that even If I worked all the hours in the week I still wouldn't be able to feed,clothe,and keep a roof over our heads,I receive no other money other than welfare and with this we are just getting by.
    This system never even worked to be broken! all I need is a chance:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Use public transport.

Use public transport.

Great. If you live in an area with decent transport links....:rolleyes:

Clothing's a one off???:eek: What do you mean by that? Clothing's not something you buy every week agreed, but clothing does need to be replaced from time to time, does it not?

Minimum wage therefore need to sacrifice

How about my medical expenses for example? I need regular medication. How on earth do you pay for that on MW?
    Medical card

Rent? Well, if you live outside of Dublin, Cork, Galway, then the rent would be manageable - Just. If you happen to live in Dublin, then I'm afraid you'd be stuffed, never mind Cork...
    Rent allowance

Of course 'luxuries' (whatever you mean by that) are sacrificed. Talk about stating the bleeding obvious. YOU try living on MW, and then come back and talk to me about it.

I should also add: Yes, the MW might be the second highest in Europe. But then, the CoL here is one of the highest in Europe! Living here is certainly not cheap!!!

Need social welfare, then use it, I have no problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

bigroad wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky my diesel costs 110euro a week and toll 20 euro and i earn 9 euro per hour .
    working over 15 hours a week (net) to pay for transport to work is crazy especially if you work a standard 38 hour week.

• Advertisement

Rent/Mortgage
    Food
    Clothing

compare that to dole of e188, most of the rent paid, medical card, various addons heat and whatever else and you really need to love your minimum wage job.

how does the cost of living compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I earned less than what I would have on the dole and as a self employed worker, I had to pay €600 tax on €3,500 annual take in.
    Leaving me with €2,900 to do me for the year.
    I was starting up a business and had to pay the initial years tax and the following years tax.
    Where is the sense in that.
    Minimum allowance to earn up to the dole without being taxed should be allowed.
    Its a disgrace!

shanered wrote: »
    I was starting up a business and had to pay the initial years tax and the following years tax.

I'm looking into setting up my own business.

This is due the November of the year after you set up your business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

shangri la wrote: »
    I'm looking into setting up my own business.

This is due the November of the year after you set up your business?

October 31st, but yeah thats true.
    Hold onto all the receipts and expenses you can ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with taxation.

I'm moving it to AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

What's ware and tare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Shouldn't the thread title be "what's the point in owning a car?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Welfare is bloody ridiculous at this stage..
    I've a mate who's on social welfare as he lost his job about 2 years ago.....
    Yes he's trying to get back to work but his chances of getting a job which pays more 30k a year with no qualifications is worse than slim to none.
    This week he gave up the cigarettes, smoked 20 a day before that.
    So he's saving money from that, yet he was able to get the nicorrette inhalers free on his medical card saving him about €70 a week....
    It's ****in ridiculous :mad:...how many other people are doing this and screwing the normal joe soap out of proper medical care.
    I was explaining this to him and he still didn't get it....his attitude was that he paid enough tax over the last 16 years to cover him. He just didn't get it that while he was working hard the scroungers were screwing him and the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

jpaulb wrote: »
    The majority of people would prefer to work as living on the dole is not easy either. One of my friends has been out of work for a while and they have been called for an interview for a scheme paying €50 a week more than the dole. They will work 35 hours a week for this for over the next 8/9 months. My friend has no intention of going for this as they will not be used a form of cheap labour.

So I guess the majority of people doesn't include your friend?

It must be nice for him that tax-payers will continue to fund his morals. I mean, we don't want him to feel like he's being used a cheap labour or anything.

I have sympathy for people who can't find work - but your friends attitude sums up everything that wrong with this country and the sense of Celtic Tiger entitlement which still seems to prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Blazer wrote: »
    Yes he's trying to get back to work but his chances of getting a job which pays more 30k a year with no qualifications is worse than slim to none.
    So he's saving money from that, yet he was able to get the nicorrette inhalers free on his medical card saving him about €70 a week....
    It's ****in ridiculous :mad:...how many other people are doing this and screwing the normal joe soap out of proper medical care.
    I was explaining this to him and he still didn't get it....his attitude was that he paid enough tax over the last 16 years to cover him. He just didn't get it that while he was working hard the scroungers were screwing him and the system.

To be honest I use to think welfare was too high and that the minimum wage was too high but I'm starting to see it's actually the cost of living thats far too high.

Why work 40 hours a week when your pay pack is going to be so heavily taxed that there's no actual point working, then when you want to spend the pittance you have left everything is so expensive plus there are all these hidden taxes like broadcast tax, bin tax, road tax, toll tax, 2% vat increase, the list is endless really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Oranage2 wrote: »
    To be honest I use to think welfare was too high and that the minimum wage was too high but I'm starting to see it's actually the cost of living thats far too high.

Wayyyy too high and even a first year economics student in Secondary School can grasp the fact that to have a healthy economy people need to spend spend spend however when they have no disposable income after paying for the essentials, what is there to spend. Therefore the economy dips, less revenue from taxes. Pity our current Government haven't the brain power to see this.

Wonder what would happen if they drastically reduced VAT for a year? We're borrowing billions anyway and repayments of bailout are going to be long (long) term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sell the car, that kind of wage you need to get your priorities straight

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Your mate is a bit of a wally. He's had 2 years to get a qualification but he sits on his arse and expects a 30k a year job to land in his lap. I'd have had several high level certificates in that time and be re-skilled and looking for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And the cost of living here in relation to other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

It must be nice for him that tax-payers will continue to fund his morals. I mean, we don't want him to feel like he's being used a cheap labour or anything.

I have sympathy for people who can't find work - but your friends attitude sums up everything that wrong with this country and the sense of Celtic Tiger entitlement which still seems to prevail.

Ridiculous statement to make ...now get off your high horse there.

People on the dole clearly cannot make ends meet and would grab a job with both hands however, to ask a person to work a 35+ hour week for an embarrassing €50 has nothing to do with morals. Im sure most people would love to upskill and re-train to get back into the job market but if the cost of travel to and from work is over and above this '€50' thus eating into their dole money which is already spent on bills etc, then how is this an incentive to motivate the unemployed.

Bang out of order there saying 'his friends attitude sums up everything wrong with the economy'. You're obviously confused about how and why the irish economy is in the state that its in.

....and im employed full time by the way, before you have another stab about the morals of the unemployed. Employers should at least cover the costs of travel since a lot of them have been cutting wages and playing the 'recession' record now for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Feck the fuel costs, my brother-in-law is a stay at home dad, because he can't afford to work, my sister has a good paying job, but they have 4 children, if my brother-in-law was to go to work, he'd end up paying more for childcare than he would earn, the system is screwed up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Why on earth should anyone with zero qualifications get a job which pays anywhere near 30k? If you want that type of salary then you have to provide something to the employer that few people can, that's where training and acquiring skills come in. 2 years is more than enough time to acquire skills to attain that type of salary.

Plus he's not saving money by not smoking, what he is doing is not spending money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

50 euro extra but how much will lunch, travel and work attire cost him?

Either you're attempting to troll or you're a little out of touch, we dont know his friends situation and the job bridge scheme basically sums up everything wrong with Ireland and the celtic tiger era !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

duke916 wrote: »
    People on the dole clearly cannot make ends meet and would grab a job with both hands however, to ask a person to work a 35+ hour week for an embarrassing €50 has nothing to do with morals. Im sure most people would love to upskill and re-train to get back into the job market but if the cost of travel to and from work is over and above this '€50' thus eating into their dole money which is already spent on bills etc, then how is this an incentive to motivate the unemployed.

Bang out of order there saying 'his friends attitude sums up everything wrong with the economy'. You're obviously confused about how and why the irish economy is in the state that its in.

You're right, far better to sit on his arse scratching himself at tax-payers expense than to get back in the job market and make a contribution to society.

Maybe if he had the necessary willingness to take on a job he could demonstrate his worth and would be earning more in a couple of years time?

Still, no, that would be stupid, too much risk to take - stay on the dole - far better solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

The dole is there to offer people a buffer in order to survive whilst they go and find their next job, it is not there to be used as a lifestyle option.

So what if it pays only €50 extra then what they are getting from the dole, thats not the point and the sooner this government sorts out the types of people like black francis is talking about the better.

Far too long too many have used this free money (Our money) as a way to exist in a purely lazy way and the worst part of it many see it as their right to just exist living off the others in society who actually go out and work. If a guy doesn't want to go and work 35 hours a week for an extra €50 he is lazy and a scrounger. Sorry but that is the truth of the matter.

My own father who had his own business for the last 25 years which has now collapsed due to the recession is now working a minium wage job which he hates because he would rather do this then go on the dole.

This isn't directed at those who are ACTIVELY seeking work this is directed at those who are just happy to play the system (and all of us Tax payerswith it) for what it is worth.

What really gets to me is that everyone knows the state of the finances in this country and are so quick to point the finger of blame at the government, developers, everyone except themselves and cannot see their own part in it all where they happily drain the govenments tax funds which are badly needed eslewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

cost of living in lreland is also alot higher than most other european countries.

mainly its rent/morgages utility bills & and fuel that makes it more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

You should probably reassess your situation as you are clearly living beyond your means and there is no need for it. There is no need to take to the streets you just need some common sense and work out a better budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Have to laugh at people who say get rid of the car and use public transport. You obviously don't realise a massive amount of this country isn't serviced by public transport, in any decent way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Either you're attempting to troll or you're a little out of touch, we dont know his friends situation and the job bridge scheme basically sums up everything wrong with Ireland and the celtic tiger era !

So it's now our obligation to pay for this guys lunch, travel and clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Maybe they should cut the dole by €100 and give the jobbridge people an extra €150.

Win, win.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

I don't have a car (whinge) - but fail to see what taking to streets would do for the price of petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Have to laugh at people who say get rid of the car and use public transport. You obviously don't realise a massive amount of this country isn't serviced by public transport, in any decent way.

get a bike, cheaper car, carpool. Loadsa options really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I don't have a car (whinge) - but fail to see what taking to streets would do for the price of petrol

it might be a good time to buy iranian oil and smuggle it into ireland then sell it to the yanks with a nice markup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

al28283 wrote: »
    get a bike, cheaper car, carpool. Loadsa options really

Ha! Cycle 40km to work? Replacing a car costs money...

• Advertisement
Advertisement