Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet the Londoners - an introductions & general chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Yeah I tried paying for the bus the other day when the card was empty and you'd swear it was anthrax I handed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

If it's not a pain for anyone, I'm gonna suggest the BoxPark in Shoreditch, which is literally outside Shoreditch overground station and about a five minute walk from Liverpool Street Station; E1 6GY

Reason being is that they have food (Thai, PIES! fish and chips, sushi etc) and drinks, PLUS tonnes of lovely places around there and Redchurch Street if it's busy...

I'm PM you my number, but freel free to suggest an alternative.
    Time wise, please say, but I'll throw out 18:45ish??

shame I missed this :( anyone around this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 river_rock

Hey,

New in London (couple months), here to develop my career a bit. Loving it so far. I am in ealing, which is suprisingly well connected. I think more people are moving out here to be honest. Nightlife could be better, but we can't all live in clapham :D Looking forward to meeting a few of yis at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

river_rock wrote: »
    Hey,

New in London (couple months), here to develop my career a bit. Loving it so far. I am in ealing, which is suprisingly well connected. I think more people are moving out here to be honest. Nightlife could be better, but we can't all live in clapham :D Looking forward to meeting a few of yis at some stage

Indeed, quite a few of us couldn't contemplate living somewhere as suburban and high street chain dominated as Clapham :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Marcusm wrote: »
    Indeed, quite a few of us couldn't contemplate living somewhere as suburban and high street chain dominated as Clapham :cool:

Ye... some of us gotta be keeping it real by living on de block with Jenny ^^

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote: »
    Ye... some of us gotta be keeping it real by living on de block with Jenny ^^

Ugh, ghetto is not any way to go; think post industrial streetscapes with artisan producers/restaurants, bakeries, coffee roasters and a range of pubs including regular lock ins (to cater for all pockets).

Ugh, ghetto is not any way to go; think post industrial streetscapes with artisan producers/restaurants, bakeries, coffee roasters and a range of pubs including regular lock ins (to cater for all pockets).

Shoreditch/Old Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Shoreditch/Old Street?

i'd be thinking hackney or dalston myself!

Shoreditch/Old Street?
    i'd be thinking hackney or dalston myself!

As any good Irish person can tell you, the southside is the only way to go. Sarf London is more interesting, less faux hipster crap. Bermondsey.

As any good Irish person can tell you, the southside is the only way to go. Sarf London is more interesting, less faux hipster crap. Bermondsey.

Damn was my next guess!! Borough or Bermondsey.. worked for years close by but in Old Street now hence my first pick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

ugh the thought of living in clapham would drive me mental, a bit too 'pristine' for me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't buy the suggestion that Bermondsey, with the Tate Modern up the road (and the attendant shower of Modern Art plonkers) is somehow bereft of hipsters (whether faux or genuine/vintage). But then I'm biased because I've been living in Kilburn for 6 years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

South my arse. North London is the way to go these days, we've the best GAA clubs, Camden Town and also the best p*ss-stained Irish pubs in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

FTA69 wrote: »
    South my arse. North London is the way to go these days, we've the best GAA clubs, Camden Town and also the best p*ss-stained Irish pubs in the city.

I just moved to North London....tell me more!!

Fysh wrote: »
    I don't buy the suggestion that Bermondsey, with the Tate Modern up the road (and the attendant shower of Modern Art plonkers) is somehow bereft of hipsters (whether faux or genuine/vintage). But then I'm biased because I've been living in Kilburn for 6 years :P

The Tate Modern is about 2-3 miles from Bermondsey; the City is closer. I guess we do have the White Cube outpost and a variety of smaller independent galleries. In reality, no "hipster" would deign to reside outside Shoreditch/Hoxton/Dalston/Camden so I'm fairly well insulated from it.

GAA wouldn't interest me, Camden is a tourist trap selling Chinese manufactured sh1te that wouldn't make a market stall in a decent town and piss stained pubs are not really that attractive - the ban on smoking has really opened up the odours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

anything fun to do in greenwich:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Bermondsey is gentrifying rapidly. It's hardly unusual to see plenty of hipsters (whatever the definition for this now is) along Bermondsey Street

GAA wouldn't interest me, Camden is a tourist trap selling Chinese manufactured sh1te that wouldn't make a market stall in a decent town and piss stained pubs are not really that attractive - the ban on smoking has really opened up the odours.

Camden has a few good pubs though, the Sheephaven Bay being one. Stoke Newington is also a flying spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

In reality, no "hipster" would deign to reside outside Shoreditch/Hoxton/Dalston/Camden so I'm fairly well insulated from it.
    You’ve not been to Peckham lately then?

Stoke Newington is also a flying spot.
    Stokey is almost totally devoid of life? One or two good pubs, but generally very, very quiet.

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    Stokey is almost totally devoid of life? One or two good pubs, but generally very, very quiet.

ehh what are you basing this on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Don't know about that! Quite a few decent pubs, plenty of gigs and was very busy when i was there ona friday a fortnight ago.. so close to Hackney/Hoxton too

ehh what are you basing this on
    I'm up there quite a bit as my sister lives there. The Rose & Crown opposite the town hall's not a bad spot and The Jolly Butcher's potentially a cool place, but it's always full of Shoreditch types. There was also a good Italian place we went to, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Other than that, I'm struggling to think of enjoyable experiences up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm up there quite a bit as my sister lives there. The Rose & Crown opposite the town hall's not a bad spot and The Jolly Butcher's potentially a cool place, but it's always full of Shoreditch types. There was also a good Italian place we went to, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Other than that, I'm struggling to think of enjoyable experiences up that way.

Come out with us next time :)

There's plenty of good pubs in Stokey, it also has a fairly good music scene and is well plugged in to wider North and East London.

There's plenty of good pubs in Stokey, it also has a fairly good music scene...
    Really? Any suggestions for good venues?

Really? Any suggestions for good venues?

auld shillelagh

three crowns

jolly butchers

jans

ryans

rose and crown

all good!

Ryans music sessions are epic, also Jed who owns the gaff is murder for late ones and blaring tunes that go on til 4am on a Sunday.
    auld shillelagh

One of the best Irish pubs in the city.
    rose and crown

A bit trendy but has a fantastic basement venue with a great array of music. Went there one night and there was a Cuban salsa band and the gaff was heaving. Great spot.

rose and crown
    A bit trendy but has a fantastic basement venue with a great array of music. Went there one night and there was a Cuban salsa band and the gaff was heaving. Great spot.
    Been in there a few times but had no idea there was a basement venue - not very well advertised.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Been in there a few times but had no idea there was a basement venue - not very well advertised.

Cheers.

I'm talking rubbish. I meant The Three Crowns, was confused!

Advertisement