Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Against The World...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hilly spin this am. I set off shortly after 9 and was feeling a little sluggish from the start. Heading south through the city my HR was far too high (Z3/4 stuff) and I was struggling to hit 20kmph. Wasn't going to let myself off the hook, as last week I only got 50km in. So I turned the Garmin screen away from HR, and kept going. Spent most of the day in 38*25, struggled up Cruagh Road, and stopped at the car park for a banana. Ploughed on towards the sally gap, still pedalling squares fighting the wind. At times the head wind was making the bike feel so heavy I kept thinking I had a puncture. Straight through Sally, and at times I even had to fight the wind on some of the downhill sections to Laragh. Figured it would help on the way back. Into Laragh and straight back the way I came. It did feel a little better, until I got back to the Sally Gap, and the strong side wind had been joined by freezing driving rain. Toes and fingers were numb at this stage. Though I’d never see home but I eventually made it to Rathfarnham. Always love this bit, racing cars away from traffic lights back in towards town. Until bang, just past Terenure the front tyre goes. Frozen fingers found nothing in the tyre, so I lashed in the spare. This wouldn’t pump, the top of the valve seemed faulty, my pump wouldn’t screw on. Second spare in, pumped, ready to go. Reattached the pump, turn around for the wheel, and its flat again. Then I found the glass in the tyre. Raging. No more spares. Phoned herself, but she’s in Tesco in Finglas, and traffic seems mental. More than an hour away with her driving. So walk of shame down through Harolds X to Delaneys at the bridge for a new tube. Miserable by the time I got home. 101km, moving time 4:16 elapsed time 5:46 1,281m climbed. Think I deserve a beer tonight…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

O god, sounded awful (although I'd love just to be out there today :() But actually after reading that I'm kinda glad I couldn't go out :) You do indeed enjoy a pint.... and a hot one too ;) Well done for getting through it though and 100k is 100k at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sounds like we had identical days on the bike, pain in the ass. I am going to have several beers tonight, I deserve all them :). Nice bit of climbing as well BTH, think I got about 800mtrs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

3 people had flats during our tri group cycle today. I was the fourth but luckily I didnt notice it till the end- I knew the last few k were more difficult than they should have been:o. Seems like one of those days for flats today

Thanks all. Miserable day, but nice to get over the 100 for the first time in ages, and one of those days where stubbornness is key!! Did everyone puncture this weekend?

Sunday - Easy 45min run, still trying to keep the higher cadence, but wanted to slow down considerably for this one. Avg pace was 4:51, cad 92, HR 143, so happy enough with that. It'll take a while for my body to get used to the 90+ cadence, but those are positive figures. Out along Clontarf for this, lovely morning out, and plenty of others around. Bit of a chilly wind on the way back, but certainly an improvement over last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I had the same last weekend, 2 flats and a broken pump, at least you had the 60K in the legs I only got 20ish:mad:.
    Still there is nothing like trying to change a tube with frozen fingers

nice spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

At least you are getting out! I've just been out on the road once thi syear, beginning to get cabin fever on the turbo:eek:

Man that was crap luck dude. At least you got home and got a ton in. Fair play

Monday Lunch
    Easy 30min run, aimed for low 130's hr & 90 cadence.

Managed 132 avg HR & bang on 90 Cadence. Average pace was 4:48/km so gotta be happy with that.

I still feel like I'm not doing much hard running these days, its all relatively easy stuff. During January each week I was doing one longer run with some small faster sections, and one "tempo" run which was certainly much slower than I would consider tempo. All other running was very easy. Certainly this time last year my tempo run was close to 4:00/km pace, and I was doing intervals. Was was probably doing the tempo run too fast. But now I feel I could quite comfortably run every day, and the easy pace stuff is certainly improving. 3 weeks ago 30min of 132HR brought me in on 5:08 pace & a cadence of 88. Thats nice improvement considering last week was an easy week too, so its all going in the right direction.

Lovely day out again today. I forgot to bring a long sleeve top to work, but in truth I didnt need it.

Interesteds hour of chlorine fueled pain this eve....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Horrid luck with the punctures. I just checked there and it's been 1360km since I last saw the outdoors on the bike. :eek:

Mind them knuckles tonight! :pac:

pgibbo wrote: »
    Horrid luck with the punctures. I just checked there and it's been 1360km since I last saw the outdoors on the bike. :eek:

Mind them knuckles tonight! :pac:

Monday Evening Swim
    I hopped into an anti-clockwise lane for the warmup, and was left there for the entire session, so no further damage done to the left knuckles thankfully. Ropes are still an issue and I did jam my fingers into them once or twice.

Tough session. After the warm up it was 3*[4*40 on 50sec, 3*100 on 1:45] with 60sec rest between each set.

First 500 was good, in on 45,46,47,47 1:35,1:35,1:36
    Second 500 a little slower but not much 43,48,48,48, 1:37,1:36,1:39
    Last 500 i really struggled, barely making the times 45,48,49,49 1:40, 1:42, 1:43

I've only had one swim since this session last week as I had an easier week, and I really felt that last night. Couldn't push myself as much as usual.

Tuesday Lunch
    Another lunch time run. 9.75k in 46 min. 138 avg HR, bang on target. After feeling great and very comfortable on yesterdays run, I felt very awkward today. Never got settled into any rhythm and my stride didnt feel right.

90min turbo this evening with the superbowl for company. Been avoiding Dory Dorys log for fear of spoilers!! All I know is the Giants won and Madonna mimed.

• Advertisement

Tuesday Eve
    Turbo session with 3*20min blocks in Z3. Handy enough session. Z3 has become much easier for me. And I got through the first half of the super-bowl. Can't believe the Patriots are leading considering they barely touched the ball in that first half!!! 47km in 85min

Wednesday Morning
    NAC SC Swim
    Long warm-up working on a couple of timing and imbalance issues
    Then,
    2*400 on 7:00, in on 6:40, 6:32
    30sec rest
    3*200 on 3:30 in on 3:11,3:10,3:13
    30sec rest
    3*200 on 3:30 in on 3:13,3:15,3:16
    30sec rest
    6*50 on 50sec, in on 45,47,47,46,47,47

3300m in just under 70min.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I recorded the 2 hour condensed version and fast forwarded through the adds to get the whole superbowl in 90 mins. Harder to enjoy it in the pain cave though :cool:

Nice swim session there this morning, solid 200s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Tuesday Eve
    2*400 on 7:00, in on 6:40, 6:32
    30sec rest
    3*200 on 3:30 in on 3:11,3:10,3:13
    30sec rest
    3*200 on 3:30 in on 3:13,3:15,3:16

Was this a solo session ? and why not 6*200's on 3.30 ?
    I'm guessing the pool is in 25m format wednesday mornings. The splits suggest that on the right day, with the right warm up and right pool (and if E4 is showing Friends, TriD is on FB and the moon is in the appropriate quadrant) that you'd be closer to your optimum target time mentioned a while back for a one off pool 400 than you previously thought.

Nice job and many thanks for ensuring I can now reset default 200 interval times for Mondays to something a little more challenging ;)

interested wrote: »
    Was this a solo session ? and why not 6*200's on 3.30 ?
    I'm guessing the pool is in 25m format wednesday mornings. The splits suggest that on the right day, with the right warm up and right pool (and if E4 is showing Friends, TriD is on FB and the moon is in the appropriate quadrant) that you'd be closer to your optimum target time mentioned a while back for a one off pool 400 than you previously thought.

Nice job and many thanks for ensuring I can now reset default 200 interval times for Mondays to something a little more challenging ;)

Cheers

Yeah, a solo session in 25m format. The dividers in the NAC have been broken for the last week so its stuck on 25m. Think they hope to be back to normal by the weekend. Given that Friends on E4 and TriD on FB are constants, then we just need to rely on the moon!! I reckon I'm about 6-8seconds off that target, but to be honest I'd be happy enough with that considering at my peak last year I would have struggled to hit 7min.

The plan was for 6*200, but at the end of the third lane traffic meant that I couldnt get away on time, so I gave it another 30sec to allow some space.

However, I certainly dont want to be responsible for making the sessions harder for everyone else.

@shotgun, need to save some viewing for Fridays turbo. The good thing about watching NFL on the turbo is that you only need to watch for 4/5 seconds every minute. Inbetween you get to concentrate on the pain in your legs, and the numbness of your ass!

Excellent session this morning BTH! Well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great swimming there BTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 haggis_mccloud

I see you got a promotion mid session. Well done. Did the same happen to you with the ropes?

Just getting back to your log now BTH. Cheers, although it might have been a temporary promotion, will find out tomorrow! I actually did some solo 400s myself this morning too and my times are about a minute off yours :eek:
    I have bashed into the rope on Thursdays a bit but no bumps and bruises yet.
    Unlucky with the cycling but sounded like a good hard spin. I got lucky again - 2 weeks in a row where I got the good weather day of the weekend.

Cheers Guys. Jaysus, getting lots of love for a swim session that I didnt think an awful lot about while I was doing it. I must be doing something right!

Wednesday Eve
    15.5km run 72min with 30min @4:55 pace and 30min @4:13 pace. happy enough with the session although form was starting to suffer in the last 10min of the second 30min. Fourth run day in a row, and the longest of the 4 by some distance. Cadence also faded slightly (91v89). Still some work to do, but its still early Feb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

So have you nailed down your calendar yet mate?
    Quick before anymore friends get marriage ideas! :)

I'm still undecided on mine myself... The athy dilemma, combined with wanting to do Kilkee but it not being ideal with Athlone the week after.
    Then there's DCT, a big points race but the week before Galway.
    Lots of clashes for me this year so gotta be careful.

Yours may work out better with so many weekends already planned you could have nice rests in between each?

Fazz wrote: »
    So have you nailed down your calendar yet mate?
    Quick before anymore friends get marriage ideas! :)

I'm still undecided on mine myself... The athy dilemma, combined with wanting to do Kilkee but it not being ideal with Athlone the week after.
    Then there's DCT, a big points race but the week before Galway.
    Lots of clashes for me this year so gotta be careful.

Yours may work out better with so many weekends already planned you could have nice rests in between each?

Calender is currently looking like
    11 Mar - 10k in Carlow
    25 Mar - Naas Duathlon
    29 Mar-1Apr - Stag :D
    13-15 Apr - Stag :D
    22 Apr - Duathlon Nat Champs
    29 Apr - Joey Hannon Oly
    12 May - Tri an Mhi Half
    26 May - Wedding :D
    2 Jun - Athy Oly
    3 Jun - Athy Sprint (possible)
    9 Jun - Crooked lake sprint (If no Athy Sprint)
    16 Jun - Hook or by crook (If I did Athy sprint)
    23 Jun - Wedding :D
    30 Jun - Athlone Sprint
    7 Jul - Probably swimming in a sprint relay
    22 Jul - BOTE
    5 Aug - possibly Brian boru oly/sprint depending on NS points to date
    11 Aug - CK
    26 Aug - Longford Half Mara
    1-15 Sept - Spain :D
    22 Sept - Wedding :D
    26-30 Sep - Rome with a wedding on 27th (Only 7 working days in September this year!!! :cool: ) :D
    29 Oct DCM :eek:

No stag dates set for the two september weddings so that could change August a bit. Talk of one being foreign which give my September I'll not be able to do. I don't see a problem racing two weekend in a row, and I've avoided two Olys in back to back weekends so I think the spacing is quite good. Couple of decent piss-ups to keep the mind right too.

• Advertisement

Thursday Eve
    This was supposed to be a club swim session, but I took the day off instead. Falling asleep at my desk in the afternoon. Had to hit the biscuit tin for a sugar rush to keep me awake. Going to pay for that on the scales! :D;)

Michelle has been kept awake with her wisdom teeth coming up, and now there seems to be some kind of infection so shes on antibiotics. If she's not sleeping well then I don't sleep well and we're both like zombies at the moment.

Going to swap the swim to this eve and ditch todays planned 60min easy turbo and I have too much to lose on the swim.

Last night wasnt a complete write off as I got word on Wednesday that my new wetsuit had arrived so I spun out to B2R just before they closed to pick it up. Saves me rushing around tomorrow trying to do all. Thankfully the new suit reaches all the way down my arms and ankles! The last one stopped half way down my calves and forearms.

Just realised, yesterday was the first day in 2012 that I didn't swim bike or run. And that streak went back as far as Christmas day :eek:! Definitely a record for me anyway.

Oh, actually I cycled to work but that doesnt count.

Hey dude, two questions:

1) how come you have "too much too lose on the swim"
    2) What wetsuit did you get?

Hey dude, two questions:

1) how come you have "too much too lose on the swim"
    2) What wetsuit did you get?

No probs

1) My swim has improved a lot in the last four months. My bike hasn't improved to the same extent. I havent really worked on it too much, just base miles mostly. I believe I would lose what I've gained in the pool much quicker than I'll lose what I have on the bike. The awkward feeling you have when you get back in the water after 5/6 days of no swimming doesnt happen if you get on the bike a week after your last ride.

2) TYR Hurricane Cat3. M/L. Pricing are going up for the 2012 stock, so I got in early.

Serious motivation issues. No interest in going for that swim this evening. Feel like a bum. Please let tomorrow be better.

Got my **** together on Saturday Morning. Headed into Trinity to ask about joining. Its beside work and much much handier than the NAC. I won't have a 50m lane practically to myself, but it'll be worth the extra hours sleep.

Then headed out to Howth for a run around the cliff trails. Never been running out there before. Plan was 10min wu with some strides, then 40min @ 140s & 40min @150s HR. Did the strides on the road, before heading out onto the cliff, and getting semi lost a number of times. Great place to run, but later on it did get a bit crowded with tourists. 19km done in about 1:40, so not electric pace, but a great workout and sore legs after.

Later Saturday eve I headed out to the NAC (trinity not yet finalised) to get in that swim I missed on Thursday. Didn't go mad, but very happy with the session.

NAC LC
    3*100pull WU working on timing of left arm
    4*50 swim, working on timing of kick
    100 on 1:50 in on 1:40
    200 on 3:40 in on 3:25
    300 on 5:30 in on 5:05
    400 on 7:20 in on 6:47
    300 on 5:30 in on 5:04
    200 on 3:40 in on 3:20
    100 on 1:50 in on 1:38
    200cd.

2300m in 50min. Very happy with the consistency of my times, especially in a 50m pool, and after the last two days laziness.

Sunday morning it was back to the mountains with two club mates. Thankfully no tyre/tube issues. I was brought on roads I'd never cycled before, a very tough route, and all told I did 80km in just under 3hours 30.

Threw on the running gear for a short 20min jog when I got back just to ease them back into running off the bike. A hard slog, but if i remember correctly it does get easier.

So a good weekend considering how I was feeling Thursday and Friday with only one session missed, as easy 60min on the turbo. Sore legs now, but a nice easy splash in the pool at Interesteds session should see me right! ;)

Monday Evening
    Nice easy splash in the pool with the club :rolleyes:
    Well, not quite. Interested was out to kill me.
    4*25 max sprints as a WU, and then some technique work, before the main set was revealed. 5*(4*50 on 50sec, 4*50 on 45sec, 60sec rest). So basically 2km of sprinting. I wouldnt attempt 2k of sprinting on land, never mind in the water!

The last time we did fast 50s I was holding 46 seconds for those, so this was going to hurt. The first 4 of each set were comfortable enough. The second four I tried not to think about. They became almost a straight through 200m. I didn't make all the repeat times on the 45secs but I made a lot of them, even if it was just tapping the wall before going again. I was also getting held up alot towards the end of the third, fourth and fifth set, which never happens swimming in the faster lane. Am I closing the gap or was everyone just really struggling?

Some talk at the end of the sessions about pacing and controlling the first 4, so you have something left in the tank for the last 4. I get the feeling that there could be another TT coming up in the not too distant future. That would be interesting...

Again, there was some punching of the ropes, but without the yank pushing out massive waves it wasnt as bad as it has been before.

Tuesday Lunchtime
    Out for an easy 45min. Target HR was 137 which I hit as my average HR, but I never got comfortable. Low 140s or low 130s just seem much more natural to me than high 130s. HR is always too low or high for this target. Legs felt heavy during this too. Still sore from Run & Bike hills at the weekend. Could only manage avg pace of 4:54. A very brisk wind but other than that a lovely day out. Much warner than this morning.

Tuesday Eve
    For the day that was in it I hopped up on the turbo for 90min. Such an old romantic :rolleyes:!

3*20 segments in Z3 with 5min recoveries. Avg HRs were 141,141,138. Surprised at the drop in HR on the last one without a noticeable drop anywhere else. 138 would be right at the bottom of Z3 for me. Happy that this was a comfortable enough session.

Wednesday AM
    No more 5:30 starts to swim in the NAC. I bit the financial bullet and joined Trinity so I'll be getting a nice hour extra in bed. So down for my first swim there this morning, and hopped into a lane with one other in it. She was swimming only marginally slower than me which meant I only caught her 3 times in the hour. No on else joined the lane until after she got out and I was nearly finished my set. If its like that every Wednesday monring I'll be very happy!

Anyway after a 500m wu I lashed into a simple main set of 10*100 on 1:45 60 sec rest then another 10*100 on 1:45. Times in on were 1:36,39,38,38,38,38,37,37,40,38 then 1:37,40,40,39,39,39,39,38,40,40. Happy enough to keep it fairly consistent, although the last 5 or so were a bit of a slog. 30 minutes after getting out of the pool I was sitting at my desk with my bowl of porridge. Very handy!

• Advertisement

Wednesday Eve
    Plan was for a 60min run, mostly @137HR except 4*3min @172 with 3min @155 recoveries.
    The 3mins @172 came in as
    Avg Pace/Avg HR
    3:38/165
    3:55/169
    3:44/168
    3:37/169

This tells none of the real story. I felt awfult throughout. Awkward, clumsy, like I'd never run before. Cadence dropped through those faster sections, the recoveries where more stumbling than running, and the HR refused to come down for these. Then the last 20min of the run aiming for 137, I couldnt get the HR down, and I plodded home in 5:40 pace.

10 days ago I said I felt I could run every day. Now I feel I can barely run 10min.

Thursday Lunch
    Out for a 30min recovery run to try and get some life back into me. 133HR 91Cadence 4:54 pace. A noticeable drop in numbers from Monday of last week. I don't know what I've done different. So frustrating.

Advertisement