Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Against The World...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Nice to meet you at the pool this morning, you seemed to be going pretty well alright!

Ah, my swimming is much improved alright, but most of what I did yesterday was max efforts or damn close to it. My race pace is somewhere around your backstroke warm up pace.

Wednesday Lunch time

Got out for an easy 30min run. HR was a little higher than I would have liked, but nothing to worry about. 5min/km pace for around 140hr.

Wednesday Eve
    Following my race report about not suffering on the bike, by coach scrapped last nights easy turbo for 3 max efforts up in Howth. So 3 reps from the Thormanby Road junction up to the Irish Times sign. 850m or so, times were 1:39, 1:41, 1:45, so in and around the 30kmph for each rep with long 5min+ recoveries.

Another problem with the Garmin last night :mad:. Other than the usual spikes in the HR while descending into the wind (max 214 :eek:), it wasn't picking up speed data from the sensor. I was getting cadence numbers but nothing for speed, or only intermittent info for speed. This meant that the auto pause kept kicking in which bugged the sh1t out of me until I turned that off. I checked that the magnet was lined up correctly and close enough (they were almost touching) and I tried restarting the watch also. I'd also like to know why the watch didn't then default to distance by GPS. I now have a Garmin file with a route map of almost 40km, but a distance covered figure of only 5.5km. Is this problem just the battery or something more sinister? The unit itself is only 2 months old and on my TT bike so its done less than 300km. The original battery is still in, but then the sensor on my other bike still has its original battery and has done 10 times that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I think thats a ring Garmin time! What device is it?

Bambaata wrote: »
    I think thats a ring Garmin time! What device is it?

Its the 310xt and the normal Garmin speed/cadence sensor.

Nightmare

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is it the garmin that's only two months old? Send it back. I'm on my second 310 and always have problems with it, would send it back if I had a back up unit.

Is it the garmin that's only two months old? Send it back. I'm on my second 310 and always have problems with it, would send it back if I had a back up unit.

The Garmin is 6 months old. The Speed/Cadence sensor on the bike is only two months old. It's picking up all other info, just not speed from the sensor. Pace when running seems to be ok so I was presuming that the fault lay with the speed/cadence sensor, and possibly the battery in that.

• Advertisement

Thursday Lunch
    60min run @target 147HR with 5*75m progressive strides. Three run days in a row and I'm still not feeling comfortable or strong with my running. That 10km pb seems like it was done years ago by someone else. Hoping a run free day today will be rewarded with a good, but mildly hungover, run tomorrow. Burnfoot is getting very close now.

Thursday PM
    Swim.
    500wu,
    6*50 kick
    Main set of
    2*(300 hard on 5:00, 6*100 on 1:50, 100 easy)
    300s in on 4:30 :D and 4:32:D:D. And thats not all out as I know I have only 30sec before the 6*100s start so that sub 6:00 400mTT should be almost a given at this stage.
    First set of 100s all low 1:30s, and second set low to mid 1:30s. Really happy with my swimming again. Three swim days in a row and my second consecutive 3swim week and I'm hitting some form again. No wonder those pros who get to swim everyday as so fast if I can do this after 3 days!! :rolleyes:

Friday Morning
    On the turbo this morning. Used the road bike as the Garmin is picking up data correctly from its speed sensor. Reckon it must be a problem with the speed/cadence sensor on the TT bike if this one is working fine. I'll get onto Garmin about it anyway. 75min with 40min @152HR. This was a real slog, and I faded a little as the 40min passed, but happy to put down a decent 40km+ after whats been a very tough training week. Almost 11.5 hours since Monday morning and not one good nights sleep either. Off to Galway for a stag this eve so that run (the lack of sleep, not the training) looks set to continue.

Saturday Morning

So I got away with taking is relatively easy on the beer on Friday night, but a loudly snoring room-mate meant very little sleep :mad:. Got out for a long run at about 11. Started out a little iffy, stomach doing somersaults :o for the first while. Things settled and I even managed to throw in 20min at around marathon pace in the second half. Did everything on feel and ignored all numbers, other than lapsed time. Happy enough with this run although the marathon pace was a little harder than it should have been but it was into a fairly strong breeze in Salthill. Covered 21.35km in 1:42 so a 1:40:xx half marathon. Not bad for a mild hangover and very little sleep.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168522157 Thanks to pgibbo for the advice on the route. It was a gorgeous morning out west.

I then won the go-karting but I don't like to brag!! :D:D

The snoring was even worse on Saturday night :mad:. So bad that shortly after 8 :eek: I gave up trying to sleep and got an early bus back to Dublin for some proper sleep. Only two early sessions this week so I should be well rested for the race on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

The Garmin is 6 months old. The Speed/Cadence sensor on the bike is only two months old. It's picking up all other info, just not speed from the sensor. Pace when running seems to be ok so I was presuming that the fault lay with the speed/cadence sensor, and possibly the battery in that.

Just return it for a replacement - Garmin do a straight swap every time under warranty -I know I sell them ;)

Monday Lunch Time
    Just an easy 5.5k jog around Dublin 2. Took it nice and easy, just trying to keep the cadence up near 90. I'm starting to believe that I need to be running at least every second day to keep the feel for running so any larger gaps in the schedule will be plugged with runs like this. Very low HR and it doesn't take anything out of me, but keeps the legs ticking over. A lot of people here talk about the feel for the water but I'm finding the feel for running takes longer to re-discover.

Monday Eve
    Club swim.
    4*25m max on 40sec. Brought these in around 18sec :)
    800 as alternating 100 catchup 100 ripple
    mains set was
    16*100 on 1:45 :eek:. These actually felt very comfortable. Brought the first 12 in on 1:34/35. Then descending for the last 4, with the last coming in just under 1:30.
    100 cd
    Another very satisfying swim session. That main set is not something I would tackle in a solo session as I know I'd start bargaining with myself after 10 or so and either extend the RTs or cut the session short. But I was swimming very well, and getting loads of rest without pushing too that much. This despite my arms and shoulders killing me after wrestling with a go-kart at the weekend. Looking forward to Joey now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Great swimming BTH should go well in Joey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Great Swimming indeed, especially as you're only getting feel back from last few weeks.
    Wonder if we'll be in same lanes at Joey? Or better yet just opposite ha :D

Funny you mention feel for running, I've started to feel similar the last couple weeks too. It's like I need xx km's or x number of runs per week to keep everything ticking over at normal pace/feel.
    Or else that's now what feels normal and now its time to push on more ;)
    Here's hoping eh.

Cheers lads. Yeah, back to being happy with my swimming again. Aprils swim total surpassed Marchs total this morning which goes some way to explaining why I wasn't swimming well 3 weeks ago!

And Fazz, I'm hoping you'll be in my lane and you'll tow me round for a sub 24min swim. Cheers mate!

Tuesday Eve
    Plan was for 60min run with 8*500m @10k pace with 2min recoveries. Did these in the local park and never again. The paths are very greasy/slippy, especially when pushing the pace. And the tree cover means that the 500m isn't always accurately measured by the GPS. As a result these ranged from 1:35 to 1:47. Big difference, but that 1:35 I knew was too fast and I had to rein it in a bit. Thats certainly not 10k pace! Running is starting to come back to me now.

Wednesday Morn
    Long swim this morn.
    800m wu with some pull work and some kick.
    10*100 pull on 1:45. My arms tire very quickly doing pull work. the first 8 were in around 1:37/38, but faded to 1:40 for the last 2. My pulling needs more work ;)
    2*(300 as 100hard, 200steady on 5:20, 6*50 hard on 70sec, 100 easy)
    1:30 for the first hard 100, and 4:50 for the full 300 both times. First 50 of each set was a sluggish 45sec, but I got them down to 40sec for the remainder of each set.
    200cd

Another good swim (saying that a bit recently :)), but a long set (3400m) fueled by just a banana, I was ravenous when I got out of the pool. Bowl of porridge doesn't seem to have done it either. Nom nom nom...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Your swimming is progressing so well BTH, I'm jealous, I seem to have hit a wall/plateau, beginning to affect my confidence big time. When is your next 400TT? It will be interesting to see where you are on the sub 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

That's great swimming! What's your swim background if you don't mind me asking?

Your swimming is progressing so well BTH, I'm jealous, I seem to have hit a wall/plateau, beginning to affect my confidence big time. When is your next 400TT? It will be interesting to see where you are on the sub 6.

Cheers man, yeah its going well. Throwing in more hard stuff in my solo sessions outside of the club ones which has helped a bit. No 400TT on the timeline, but I might throw one in on an easier week if I ever do have another one any time soon. Problem with doing them outside of a club session is lane traffic, although I have almost made one of the trinity lanes my own at this stage. Sub 6 isn't be be all and end all, OW is what matters, but it'd be a nice confidence boost all the same.

That's great swimming! What's your swim background if you don't mind me asking?

No background to speak of really. Been training for tri's for just over 2 years. This time last year I was swimming off 2min, 1:55 at a real push, the year before I would have struggled to break 2min for a once off 100. Before starting in early 2010 I would have struggled with 4 continuous lengths. I did a few years of swim lessons as a child, but this wouldn't have been to any great standard, and was more geared towards staying afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

No background to speak of really. Been training for tri's for just over 2 years. This time last year I was swimming off 2min, 1:55 at a real push, the year before I would have struggled to break 2min for a once off 100. Before starting in early 2010 I would have struggled with 4 continuous lengths. I did a few years of swim lessons as a child, but this wouldn't have been to any great standard, and was more geared towards staying afloat.

That's really good progress, gives some of us normal people without 5 years swim squad training a bit of hope that one day we might get that fast.

That's really good progress, gives some of us normal people without 5 years swim squad training a bit of hope that one day we might get that fast.

Just look at my swim times from last year and you'll see how normal I am, 17:14 in Valentia, 16:26 Brian Boru, 14:01 Boyle, 30:40 in HOTW, 29:42 BOTE, 28:18 in Caroline Kearney and 35:22 @ the lost sheep. So all in and around the 2:00 per 100 mark. Actually that all makes depressing reading!

Going to be completely wasted if I can't swim in a straight line though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No background to speak of really. Been training for tri's for just over 2 years. This time last year I was swimming off 2min, 1:55 at a real push, the year before I would have struggled to break 2min for a once off 100.

That's just ahead of where I am now. So how do I make those improvments in one year coach BTH?

Asking in an attempt to improve the quality of my crosstraining you see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Just look at my swim times from last year and you'll see how normal I am, 17:14 in Valentia, 16:26 Brian Boru, 14:01 Boyle, 30:40 in HOTW, 29:42 BOTE, 28:18 in Caroline Kearney and 35:22 @ the lost sheep. So all in and around the 2:00 per 100 mark. Actually that all makes depressing reading!

Going to be completely wasted if I can't swim in a straight line though.

You should see the benefits at Joey Hannon though as that's a pool swim right? It makes all those early mornings feel worth the effort;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

You should see the benefits at Joey Hannon though as that's a pool swim right?

Just my 2c
    Swimming well in a pool in training doesn't guarantee swimming well in a pool in competition, in a triathlon based in a pool or a triathlon based in ow. Any 400 TT/PB times in training will be just that ... training p.b's.

Doing yourself justice on race day and making the early mornings, late evenings, weekly immersions in the open water worth it is tricky and not always in your control. With a pool based triathlon (and the ow) there are lots of variables at play that could dictate a slower time that a previous year or what you've done in training.

From what I know of BTH he's perfectly normal (well except it seems he can get sun burnt when in a room with a light on) but he's persistent and competitive.

examples - every week without fail, ow swim - dropped regularly but struggled through. More recently, a set of 16*100's ... last 4 desc ... BTH pushes it and sucker punches the guy thats lead out the lane for 15 of them in the last 25 to touch him out ;) In addition to everything else, these are moments where the improvements come.

Swimming regularly, in the right way and trusting in the work you've done will help in competition (swimming faster or swimming the same time but expending less energy) but if you're not ready to race when the countdown starts then, when the mist clears, and those black eyes roll over white and then ....

Again, just my opinion.

That's just ahead of where I am now. So how do I make those improvments in one year coach BTH?

Asking in an attempt to improve the quality of my crosstraining you see. :)

Swimming was my main focus for October November December, getting to the pool 4 times a week, with one of those an absolute hammer fest with Interested roaring at me from the poolside. It's that easy!! As interested has said to me before, your stroke doesn't need to be pretty. He's some man for the compliments!!

Crosstraining :rolleyes:
    You should see the benefits at Joey Hannon though as that's a pool swim right? It makes all those early mornings feel worth the effort;)

Hopefully, but its mostly going to come down to who else is in my lane and how well we all work together. Must actually get up to the NAC for one of my swims next week. Been a while since I swam LC, and its a big difference.
    interested wrote: »
    From what I know of BTH he's perfectly normal (well except it seems he can get sun burnt when in a room with a light on) but he's persistent and competitive.

Thanks for that. Its why I like swimming in the gloomy Belvo. Trinity pool is like a sun-bed for me! Far too bright for my milk white skin. (I wont mention the fact I got sunburnt in Ashford on Easter Saturday!)
    examples - every week without fail, ow swim - dropped regularly but struggled through. More recently, a set of 16*100's ... last 4 desc ... BTH pushes it and sucker punches the guy thats lead out the lane for 15 of them in the last 25 to touch him out ;) In addition to everything else, these are moments where the improvements come.

To be fair to Conor, he had led me out for 1500m. But descending is descending and there was still something in the tank. It would have been a different story if I'd been leading him out for 1500m.

On the OW topic, there are a good few from the club doing the Tri an Mhi HIM and I know I'd like to get a couple of OW swims in before that. Tides arent allowing a dip next week, but would the following week be too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

On the OW topic, there are a good few from the club doing the Tri an Mhi HIM and I know I'd like to get a couple of OW swims in before that. Tides arent allowing a dip next week, but would the following week be too early?

No, had penciled that in a while back and have been looking at the tides this week to find something suitable - 5 or 10 mins acclimatisation stuff would be fine for those doing the HIM and others ... one way or another Ill be doing / suggesting this at some stage in the last week of this month. The 2 weeks before the event in May would also suit.

I havent swam in that lake. Despite a fairly mild winter and based on what I heard from those who swam there last year, its still gonna be very cold - but cold for one person may not be cold for another.

No, had penciled that in a while back and have been looking at the tides this week to find something suitable - 5 or 10 mins acclimatisation stuff would be fine for those doing the HIM and others ... one way or another Ill be doing / suggesting this at some stage in the last week of this month. The 2 weeks before the event in May would also suit.

I havent swam in that lake. Despite a fairly mild winter and based on what I heard from those who swam there last year, its still gonna be very cold - but cold for one person may not be cold for another.

I'll just have to swim harder to warm up. :D

Wednesday Eve
    A club committee meeting after work meant it was after 10 before I hopped up on the turbo for an hour. 6*1min hard with 1 min recoveries. Felt that I paced these really well. Effort level for each one felt consistent and I would have struggled to do many more.

Thursday Lunch
    A nice easy 5k @ 4:57 pace. HR averaged 133 so getting very close to the numbers I was churning out on these recovery runs before I headed to Carlow. Slowly but surely its coming together again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Hopefully, but its mostly going to come down to who else is in my lane and how well we all work together. Must actually get up to the NAC for one of my swims next week. Been a while since I swam LC, and its a big difference.

Thinking the same myself and to get back to slow turns for race.
    UL the Saturday before but let me know if heading to NAC I may join you if schedules suit.
    I know the 50m is only open certain times but haven't checked when.

Fazz wrote: »
    Thinking the same myself and to get back to slow turns for race.
    UL the Saturday before but let me know if heading to NAC I may join you if schedules suit.
    I know the 50m is only open certain times but haven't checked when.

Just checked the times there. Not good. Only Friday evening has the 50m format. Alternative is a very early start, or I swim on the way back from burnfoot! :pac:

I'll need to see next weeks schedule before deciding, but maybe interested would advise on a tune up session? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I swam in that lake on Sunday, on my scale of cold it was ****ing freezing. I was okay after about 10 minutes, it took an hour after getting out to fully warm up.

Thursday Eve
    Plan was an easy 45min turbo with some spinups, but I only managed to squeeze in 30min as I was trying and failing to get the bike ready for Sunday. It should stay in one piece though. Holding 34kmph for easy HR which was encouraging, but we'll have to see how that translates to a race.

Friday morning
    Back in the pool this morning.
    800 wu
    8*100 pull on 1:45, first 4 in on 1:35, then I pushed the last 4 for 1:32 did the last RT on 1:40 to avoid traffic
    4*100 descending on 1:45, in 1:35 down to 28
    200cd
    Another good swim set. Really pleased to hold 4*100 @1:32 with the pullbouy. I even managed to cruise past littlemsfickle in the next lane. The fact that she was doing backstroke kick is completely irrelevant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Thursday Eve
    Plan was an easy 45min turbo with some spinups, but I only managed to squeeze in 30min as I was trying and failing to get the bike ready for Sunday. It should stay in one piece though. Holding 34kmph for easy HR which was encouraging, but we'll have to see how that translates to a race.

Friday morning
    Back in the pool this morning.
    800 wu
    8*100 pull on 1:45, first 4 in on 1:35, then I pushed the last 4 for 1:32 did the last RT on 1:40 to avoid traffic
    200cd
    Another good swim set. Really pleased to hold 4*100 @1:32 with the pullbouy. I even managed to cruise past littlemsfickle in the next lane. The fact that she was doing backstroke kick is completely irrelevant!!

Ha, nice one. Those are good times to be holding for the 100s though. I wasn't swimming well this morning at all - I was really unwell on Sunday after the North Tipp sprint and since then every time I've been in the pool I've just felt really heavy. But shouldn't you have been taking the morning off ahead of tomorrow?

Advertisement