Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Bible Quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    Do you believe the bible is literally true?

Love this
    Especially love the guy going "you're twisting it". Sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

“Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces!” (So sayeth the Lord!) – Malachi 2:2-3
    “Hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, to eat their own dung, and drink their own p*** with you?” – II Kings 18:27

AKA The Holy Sanchez.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭beerbuddy

It is called lament go look it up the Bible is full of these.
    This is not a quote from God as you seem to imply .All you have is a person crying out to god in frustration.

His city was just destroyed and people massacred. I don’t think he is going to talk about tea and scones. This quote has nothing to do with god alsothe psalmist does not say, "I am going to go out and smash his little ones against the rock!" This is the feeling of man.This is exactly why were are told never to try and interprate the Old testemant literally because of posts like this.

Please use your brain and stop quote minning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

beerbuddy wrote: »
    Please use your brain

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It is called lament go look it up the Bible is full of these.
    This is not a quote from God as you seem to imply .All you have is a person crying out to god in frustration.

His city was just destroyed and people massacred. I don’t think he is going to talk about tea and scones. This quote has nothing to do with god alsothe psalmist does not say, "I am going to go out and smash his little ones against the rock!" This is the feeling of man.This is exactly why were are told never to try and interprate the Old testemant literally because of posts like this.

Please use your brain and stop quote minning
    Can you tell this to all the other Christians, please? They seem to think that some bits, like the bit about gay sex, should be interperated literally.

Shame God didn't think to put the bits that are supposed to be taken literally and the bits that aren't in different fonts or something, it would save a lot of confusion.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Can you tell this to all the other Christians, please? They seem to think that some bits, like the bit about gay sex, should be interperated literally.

Shame God didn't think to put the bits that are supposed to be taken literally and the bits that aren't in different fonts or something, it would save a lot of confusion.

Can you tell me which part of the Bible was written by God?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Can you tell me which part of the Bible was written by God?

Isn't that our line?
    And then you go-"it was inspired by god-written by man"

Mankind sure made up some tall tales in the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jack.h

Has any one else noticed the metaphor of how the lord is a Shepherd and we are his sheep.But what happens to Lambs and sheep in the bible they get sacrificed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Worztron

jack.h wrote: »
    Has any one else noticed the metaphor of how the lord is a Shepherd and we are his sheep.But what happens to Lambs and sheep in the bible they get sacrificed.:D

Good point.

The most shocking aspect of the Bible to me is that people actually believe the BS within it.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

housetypeb wrote: »
    Isn't that our line?

Funny how the athiests are as fanatical and uneducated as the fanatics who misquote the bible for there own purposes,If you try and argue with somebody at least try and come up with the correct facts,The origional post was just quote mined and absolutly got everything wrong a fact overlooked by all the church bashers.It actually intrested me so i went an read the passage which the origional poster did not.Easy thing to do.Afterall Hitchens thinks beastality is ok morally i presume all athiests think that way ;

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Isn't that our line?

Funny how the atheists are as fanatical and uneducated as the fanatics who misquote the bible for their own purposes. If you try and argue with somebody at least try and come up with the correct facts. The original post was just quote mined and got absolutely everything wrong, a fact overlooked by all the church bashers. It actually interested me so i went an read the passage which the original poster did not. It's an easy thing to do. After all Hitchens thinks beastality is ok morally, so I presume all atheists think that way ;

Hitchens doesn't think anything anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Isn't that our line?

Funny how the athiests are as fanatical and uneducated as the fanatics who misquote the bible for there own purposes,If you try and argue with somebody at least try and come up with the correct facts,The origional post was just quote mined and absolutly got everything wrong a fact overlooked by all the church bashers.It actually intrested me so i went an read the passage which the origional poster did not.Easy thing to do.Afterall Hitchens thinks beastality is ok morally i presume all athiests think that way ;

Do you think Atheists have some kind of Geth or Borg hive mind kind of thing or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Afterall Hitchens thinks beastality is ok morally i presume all athiests think that way ;

Source?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Do you think Atheists have some kind of Geth or Borg hive mind kind of thing or something?

well we should be like the borg if you are correct because according to darwinist athiest teaching there is no point to life we are all prisioners of our genes.

• Moderators Posts: 51,745 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Source?

1:54:00 into the video approx.

Hitchens response to the question "is the bible right to prohibit sex with animals?" was "I have good advice with regards to having having sex with animals" or something to that effect.

The questioner took a passage of Hitchens writing that was with regard to the sexual oppression of women, and tries to gloss over that with a question about bestiality.

Hitchens does go on to say that some human behaviour polices itself as it with have a destructive/negative impact on the society. Cannibalism will lead to disease that could eventually wipe out the people. I presume he was putting bestiality into that same category.

Nowhere did he say bestiality is ok.

If you can read this, you're too close!

He failed to answer the question and did not say that canabilism was wrong either .Surely in a darwinian world it i ¡s the survival of the fittest and therefore of no moral concequence. Basicaly he did not say it is wrong because decisions of a sexual nature should be left up to the individual adults to determine. He would be contradicting this if he was to actually answer yes .

He failed to answer the question and did not say that canabilism was wrong either .Surely in a darwinian world it i ¡s the survival of the fittest and therefore of no moral concequence. Basicaly he did not say it is wrong because decisions of a sexual nature should be left up to the individual adults to determine. He would be contradicting this if he was to actually answer yes .

You honestly think that after saying that cannibalism causes kuru, which would over time wipe out a population, that it's the right way to go?

It's a bit ironic that you're complaining about posters attributing things not said to God, but then do the same with regards to Hitchens and bestiality.

koth wrote: »
    You honestly think that after saying that cannibalism causes kuru, which would over time wipe out a population, that it's the right way to go?

It's a bit ironic that you're complaining about posters attributing things not said to God, but then do the same with regards to Hitchens and bestiality.

sorry but he did not say that it was morally wrong.

• Advertisement

sorry but he did not say that it was morally wrong.

he didn't say it was morally right or wrong. You made a claim about something he didn't say, that's only point I was making.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

he did not say that it was morally wrong.
    And I don't recall him saying that people's forearms didn't taste of chicken, but that's hardly a reason to claim that this was his point of view, or to start demanding evidence that it wasn't.

This forum has had enough trouble with posters claiming "Hitchens didn't condemn X, therefore he was ok with X!", in denial of grammar, rhetorical practice and much else.

Let's try avoid the sophistic sensationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Source fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

well we should be like the borg if you are correct because according to darwinist athiest teaching there is no point to life we are all prisioners of our genes.

There's no point to life? Are you kidding me? There's every point to life because it's all you get! It's not a test for the real life that happens after you die and it's not a test to see what cool animal you come back as next time. This is it. I repeat, this.is.it... This is all. Every moment of joy, every moment of happiness you are likely to feel are going to happen to you during "life" and they happen a hell of a lot more if you actively pursue them! Life, my confused friend, to an atheist, couldn't be more pointy if it were a porcupine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Source fail.

i could make a joke about "believing everything you read"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wait a minute, I thought Christians were supposed to be nice...
    Newaglish wrote: »
    Where on earth did you get that idea?

I guess people like me have just signed up to a life time of being nasty then? :pac:

But seriously, some of the rhetoric in the posts on this forum is a little worrying. The jump from some to all that occurs on a regular basis here for example. You do know that it's quite easy to go quote fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got as far as "If I were ever to have attacked atheism by arguing that on the rare occasions when atheists manage to successfully reproduce," and I couldn't get any further for the laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

philologos wrote: »
    I guess people like me have just signed up to a life time of being nasty then? :pac:

But seriously, some of the rhetoric in the posts on this forum is a little worrying. The jump from some to all that occurs on a regular basis here for example. You do know that it's quite easy to go quote fishing?

My point is that there is zero correlation between a) being a Christian and b) being nice. They come in all levels of nice, not nice and points in between. Being a Christian doesn't necessarily make you a good person, nor does being an atheist. You're the one who jumped from some to all and played the victim card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I always thought Conservapedia was an example of trolling on a truly gargantuan scale (34,000 articles) but sadly I'm wrong and there truly are people like that out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Thomas Eshuis

Because he knows there are no absolute moral laws.
    There are rational arguments against bestiality and such things.
    But no act or form of behaviour is objectively 'wrong' or 'immoral'.

Advertisement