Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

nellocono wrote: »
    This the 'John Desmond' who writes the Cork Running blog...?
    It is yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 grahmmorgan

I had pull out of Rotterdam this week due to a nagging calf problem so I signed up for this today looking forward to it,I have always wanted to do this race.Just hope the calf problems heals up quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

A group are short a man for a 4 team relay.

They have asked me to complete the first leg for them (though I'm doing the full).

Would there be an issue there?

Did 16 miles today. With about 450m of ascent. Legs a bit sore now. And it's boogy night. Hike tomorrow, then might try and do 4 on Monday just to take it into 40 for a week, which is good going for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Mahers have a free marathon & road running seminar coming up for anyone interested & based in Cork, they normally hand out a discount voucher, some free stuff & have the odd spot prize as well. Details below:
    Following on from the past few years successful road running seminars, Mahers Sports are arranging two more this year with the Cork City Marathon 2012 in mind.
    The first of these will take place on Wednesday April 25th 7-9pm.
    This will take place in Mahers Sports, Oliver Plunkett St.
    FREE ENTRY!
    ALL Levels welcome.
    Discounts given on the evening!

To register:
    Email: mmaher at mahersports . ie

• Advertisement

Good week of running, my first time breaking 50 miles, 1 competitive 10 mile run, 2 good 7 mile training runs, 1 tough interval session, and after all that pushing myself, 1 lsr today to break the 50 miles. It was a bit ugly, and know some would regard 50 miles as a slow week, but glad to get a few miles into the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Will go up by €10 at midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

I was wondering are there pacers for the half marathon. First timer asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

knipper wrote: »
    I was wondering are there pacers for the half marathon. First timer asking.
    Yeah there's pacemakers alright,I'm doing 1:40 with another lad from my club.there's also pacers for 90mins,110mins and I'd imagine for 120 mins.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

psychozeb wrote: »
    Yeah there's pacemakers alright,I'm doing 1:40 with another lad from my club.there's also pacers for 90mins,110mins and I'd imagine for 120 mins.

List here.

3:00-5:00 for the marathon and 1:30-2:30 for the half.

• Advertisement

Hi folks. I finally decided to enter this last night. I had been humming and hawing for a while, but I came through my 20-miler well on Sunday, so I'll give to a lash.

Just wondering, is there a half-marathon on in the run-up that people are running as preparation? I'd usually do a half about a month in advance to see what kind of shape I'm in. Is Bandon on the May 12 the only contender?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Just wondering, is there a half-marathon on in the run-up that people are running as preparation? I'd usually do a half about a month in advance to see what kind of shape I'm in. Is Bandon on the May 12 the only contender?

There's one on 13th May in Kildare, running alongside the full marathon and 10k, if you fancy a trip up the M8. Details are here, but not sure if they are still taking entries

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Finally got round to booking my flights to come over for the relay now.

Have we decided on a pub yet...don't leave it to me and brianderunner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

robinph wrote: »

Are the Brazillians coming?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Have we decided on a pub yet...don't leave it to me and brianderunner. :D

Haha nice one :p The pub from 2010 seemed fine.

Flights were far from cheap for this one, everyone's heading home for the double bank holiday.

Our relay "dream team" isnt looking so good these days. Meno is struggling to finish his races, I'm only just back, Chinguetti is injured, Digger is getting on and you kaboomed in London ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Fellow team members:

Chances of me making it ain't great lads. I'm only allowed run 3 to 5 k and all runs have to be on grass so if ye get someone else, i won't be offended.

However i do know the lap of the Polo Grounds blindfolded at this stage.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Fellow team members:

Chances of me making it ain't great lads. I'm only allowed run 3 to 5 k and all runs have to be on grass so if ye get someone else, i won't be offended.

However i do know the lap of the Polo Grounds blindfolded at this stage.

Ah its no biggie, one of us (most likely Robin) can run 2 legs if we dont find a replacement. Its 4 weeks away yet you never know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Haha nice one :p The pub from 2010 seemed fine.

Flights were far from cheap for this one, everyone's heading home for the double bank holiday.

Our relay "dream team" isnt looking so good these days. Meno is struggling to finish his races, I'm only just back, Chinguetti is injured, Digger is getting on and you kaboomed in London ;)

I was finished after London alright, but unless I fall through a hole in the pavement I'll be flying again by then. As long as I don't end up having to run the full distance in Cork, I do need to be fresh for the pub afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I was finished after London alright, but unless I fall through a hole in the pavement I'll be flying again by then. As long as I don't end up having to run the full distance in Cork, I do need to be fresh for the pub afterwards.
    Yep and i'll sort out a nice T-Shirt for you... you'd look good with a nice TriColour top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah the team is looking crocked at the moment. As it stands digger is not actually on the team, woddle provisionally replaced him a few months ago. This is all subject to change, we might need Digger (and maybe claralara) to help out.

Should be a bit of fun. Last year there was a big crowd in the pub they named for the official after party. Apparently there was a free BBQ in the evening but we never actually made it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm still good to go and I can give Briandrunner his €20 win bet
    I'm running the RTE 5 miler on Saturday now so will give me an idea of what shape I'm in.

Woddle wrote: »
    I'm running the RTE 5 miler on Saturday now so will give me an idea of what shape I'm in.

Good stuff. I am going to see if I can book back into the lancaster. Really like that hotel and It's nice and lcose to a few pubs for the afters :pac:

Ah no i'm not taking your money without a race first. We'll call it a tenner. Sub 33 double or nothing? Bet void if your garmin shows less than 4.95 mls? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Ah no i'm not taking your money without a race first. We'll call it a tenner. Sub 33 double or nothing? Bet void if your garmin shows less than 4.95 mls? :D

Great suits me :D but lets go with sportsworld as I reckon the garmin will read about 4.9 at RTE?

Great suits me :D but lets go with sportsworld as I reckon the garmin will read about 4.9 at RTE?

Yeah no problem. First few pints on the Monday night after the relay payed for by you :p

You'd think at this stage that the BHAA would find a way to make it 5 mls even.

A group are short a man for a 5 team relay.
    They have asked me to complete the first leg for them (though I'm doing the full).

foxyboxer wrote: »
    A group are short a man for a 5 team relay.

Can one of them not do two legs?

I'd say you'll get away with it if that's what you mean. They only check the time of the last guy coming home, there are no real checks anywhere else on the course. Technically someone could just wait with the timing chip on his foot just before the last corner and run home whenever he felt like it and I doubt his team would be disqualified.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Can one of them not do two legs?

I'd say you'll get away with it if that's what you mean. They only check the time of the last guy coming home, there are no real checks anywhere else on the course. Technically someone could just wait with the timing chip on his foot just before the last corner and run home whenever he felt like it and I doubt his team would be disqualified.

None of them up for it I'm afraid (not even the last 2 legs of 9 miles or so :rolleyes:) hence me getting roped in. I assume that I'll have to start with two timing chips and thought there might be a conflict with the times. I checked the terms and conditions but there's no mention of that scenario, would have been nice to have a legitimate reason to bow out!

The person who crosses the finish line is the one that need the timing chip, if doing a relay there is no time for crossing the start line.

• Advertisement

If I'm doing two legs for the chairmen then baggsy the last two. Should be able to cover that in about an hour, that leave the other three of you to do the 16'ish miles in ...oh, I'll be generous and give you 1:20 for your legs. :D

Advertisement