Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

All I could think of after that effort was never again. I had kinda only entered DCM in a fit of madness last year. And then I wanted to do Cork anyway, because I love the city and because I wanted to say "I am a marathon runner"...as opposed to "I once ran a marathon".

And now I'm thinking...could I ever run a 3.20...:eek:

Yeah, just wondering if I can go better now, some peoples improvements listed here are very motivating to have another craic.

And to echo opus, how lucky we were with the weather.

Does anyone know where I could search photos of the event, would love to see if there is one I could get as a momento??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

alitoast wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could search photos of the event, would love to see if there is one I could get as a momento??

There are a bazillion photos linked from the Running in Cork post on CCM, you're surely in there somewhere but it will take some time to trawl through them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

All I could think of after that effort was never again. I had kinda only entered DCM in a fit of madness last year. And then I wanted to do Cork anyway, because I love the city and because I wanted to say "I am a marathon runner"...as opposed to "I once ran a marathon".

And now I'm thinking...could I ever run a 3.20...:eek:

Take it from someone who once ran a 4:36 marathon ... yes you can!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39020932@N05/sets/72157630046527388/

Very obliging man. Great photos. Found one, he very helpfully went through his set and found another. AND he emailed me a higher quality set. AND he doesn't charge, just suggests you make a donation to Enable Ireland. Can't say fairer 'n that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

(as per opus's post) From Cork Running Blog (with speelnig corrections :P)
    1) Doug Minihane has a gallery of 2000+ photos HERE
    2) Gearoid O'Laoi has a big gallery HERE
    3) Peter Mooney has a gallery HERE
    4) Darren Spring has 576 photos on his RacePix website HERE
    5) John Quigley has several photo slideshows...
    a) Near the 1 mile Marathon mark HERE
    b) Start on Particks Street HERE
    c) At the 1.75 mile mark HERE
    d) At the 3.5 mile mark HERE
    e) At the 26 mile mark HERE
    6) Joe Murphy has a large slideshow of photos HERE
    7) Noel Kelleher has almost 800 photos HERE
    8) Donal O'Chaoimh has a gallery of 115 photos HERE
    9) Keith O'Driscoll has 156 photos HERE
    10) Richard ??? has a gallery of 100 photos HERE
    11) Martin Cunningham has a huge gallery of over 2,000 photos HERE

• Advertisement

Very obliging man. Great photos. Found one, he very helpfully went through his set and found another. AND he emailed me a higher quality set. AND he doesn't charge, just suggests you make a donation to Enable Ireland. Can't say fairer 'n that!

And he will send you a very gentle and understanding reminder if you use photos from 5 different photographers but only list 4 of them in your credits. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Taramorourke

Here is my race report. It's really, really long ( I like to add in as many details as possible). This race report was written for my friends and family ( a lot who don't run) so I do explain things about a marathon that non-runners might not understand (so ignore those parts) :)

Background info on me: I'm a 27 yr old Canadian girl living in London. I've been running for 14 months and ran my first marathon in 4:09 last October. The Cork City Marathon was my second marathon. I mention someone named Andrew a few times. He is my boyfriend. I don't know Cork at all, so I wasn't able to name off roads and landmarks as well as everyone else. I just described where I was the best I could.

Enjoy :)

http://taraorourke.com/race-report-cork-city-marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Great Report Tara, will we see you back for Dublin? 13,000 Marathon runners and 100,000+ supporters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Here is my race report. It's really, really long ( I like to add in as many details as possible). This race report was written for my friends and family ( a lot who don't run) so I do explain things about a marathon that non-runners might not understand (so ignore those parts) :)

Background info on me: I'm a 27 yr old Canadian girl living in London. I've been running for 14 months and ran my first marathon in 4:09 last October. The Cork City Marathon was my second marathon. I mention someone named Andrew a few times. He is my boyfriend. I don't know Cork at all, so I wasn't able to name off roads and landmarks as well as everyone else. I just described where I was the best I could.

Wow Taramorourke. That is one of the best most heart-felt and inspiring marathon reports I have ever read. Thanks for making me relive the race mile by mile and reminding me why it is I love running. I know what you mean about feeling kind of sad the race is over. Maybe it was the unexpected sunny morning but I'm already remembering this marathon most fondly of the three I've done to date. And now having read your report I can't wait to sign up for my next one. Well done again on a great time and a great run.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Great Report Tara, will we see you back for Dublin? 13,000 Marathon runners and 100,000+ supporters :)

Thanks! I don't think I'll be running Dublin, although I DO want to ( it's so tempting). I'm still a new runner and I don't want to jump into another marathon training plan so early after finishing my last one. Instead, I want to work on my speed this Summer and Fall with shorter races. I've never even raced a 5k, 10k or half marathon ever. Then, over the Winter, I'll start training for the Boston Marathon for April 2013!!! SO excited!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great report Tara, i really enjoyed reading that. It took up most of my morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Epic report Tara - Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Nicely edited photo slideshow
    http://vimeo.com/43608944

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

rom wrote: »
    Nicely edited photo slideshow
    http://vimeo.com/43608944

Cool - I'm in it with my little princess @ 30 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

great report fair play!! You should definately do Dublin, sure we're all going!

Thanks! I don't think I'll be running Dublin, although I DO want to ( it's so tempting). I'm still a new runner and I don't want to jump into another marathon training plan so early after finishing my last one. Instead, I want to work on my speed this Summer and Fall with shorter races. I've never even raced a 5k, 10k or half marathon ever. Then, over the Winter, I'll start training for the Boston Marathon for April 2013!!! SO excited!!! :)

That's a great race and a great race report as well, congratulations. You will LOVE the crowds in Boston, I can guarantee that.

I SAW YOU!

You finished a few seconds in front of me!

Plus I saw you at the start. I distinctly remember the tattoo/transfer of the times on you arm. I thought that looked very serious! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Congratulations Tara, fantastic time and achievement. Your report got me all teary eyed.
    Eventhough I missed out on my goal time by 37 seconds, I loved the race, well the first 25 miles anyway!
    Your report brought the whole experience back to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jcsmum wrote: »
    Congratulations Tara, fantastic time and achievement. Your report got me all teary eyed.
    Eventhough I missed out on my goal time by 37 seconds, I loved the race, well the first 25 miles anyway!
    Your report brought the whole experience back to me. :)

You burned me off at 20 miles if I remember correctly? :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Great report Tara and great running. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Bohs123

This was my second Cork Marathon and beat my PB by 22 mins with a 3.31 finish so delighted with that. Big thanks to everyone for the support on the day it was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

First Marathon and I came in at 3.42. Absolutly in bits and my legs on fire!! Could barely talk except to say "Never Again". Legs are better now and im starting to think "Maybe"!!:D

I SAW YOU!

You finished a few seconds in front of me!

Plus I saw you at the start. I distinctly remember the tattoo/transfer of the times on you arm. I thought that looked very serious! ;)

That is hilarious!! I totally did not feel like a serious runner though haha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

I should add my own race report here, even though (despite effectively training for the guts of 3 years) I don’t feel any sort of a high after completing my first marathon.

Up Monday morning in our lovely guesthouse on the Western Rd to a glorious day and was feeling great, no niggles (had been to physio last Friday with a bad knee, return of ITB problems after some six years).

Headed off with the 4 hour pacers and was feeling good until approx 3.5 miles when BANG, daggers in the left knee. This happening so early was a big rock to the confidence. Lay down on the road and stretched the glutes which got rid of the pain (this procedure had to be repeated several times over the course of the run) , though my left leg got quite numb and was bothering me a lot.

I pretty much stayed with the group to around mile 16 (1/2 way split was 1hr59) but I was really wrecked at this stage and had stopped a few times to stretch. I fell back from the group here, but really I didn’t care. I knew I had 10 miles of absolute hell ahead and was debating dropping out.

Thanks to my running partner (who is a lot stronger than me but waited with me all day) I ploughed on, walking several times. I was so wrecked that even at 24 and 25 miles I would have quit, I just didn’t care but I knew he wasn’t going to let me, plus family had travelled down to Cork to support and were waiting in Patrick Street.

Got over the line in 4hrs 18 mins which is probably alright considering the knee problem but funnily I just don’t feel any real sense of achievement, mainly I’d say because I stopped to walk a good bit during the last 6 miles…stupid attitude to have I know.

Lessons from it: Probably too ambitious hoping for 4 hrs, even if 100% fit the pace would have been too much for me for 26 I’d say, would have been better in hindsight to go with the 4.15 balloon.

Probably not enough training done, didn’t go with the distances in the plans as my knees wouldn’t have held up, the only way I could make the start line was by doing less, with obvious consequences.

I said after it “never again” and four days later that is my feeling, I think I should stick to halfs and less.

I know I’ve done a lot of moaning in the above post so to finish on a positive, great atmosphere, great organization, great course and I loved Cork as a city, I’m not too familiar with it but I will be back there.

Well done to all here too, some great times and performances put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'm blushing now...:o
    And he will send you a very gentle and understanding reminder if you use photos from 5 different photographers but only list 4 of them in your credits. :o

Lol.... I'm blushing even more now!!!! :D

Excellent report Tara. Looking forward to the follow up in Boston now.. Good luck with it !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was just pointed out to me that the guy who came 3rd in Cork this year, Huw Lobb, was the guy who won the Man v Horse marathon that I did this weekend. Looks like he is stalking me and entering all the same races.

He didn't beat the horse this year, but he was the first person that did manage to a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

I loved reading your blog, what a fantastic race and best of luck next year in Boston. Wish I could write like you..... wish I could run like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Some photographer at the finish line took my photo with me pouring a bottle of water over my head. He asked me my name. No idea who he was. Tried to find the photo but to no avail. Its around 3hrs 38min / 1hr 38min full/half. If anyone spotted it would love to see it as I probably look mental :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

I was one of the last to collect my bib and therefore missed out on a tshirt, they took my bib number and said one would be posted out. I wouldnt normally be too bothered about it but as this was my first marathon I am hoping to get my hands on the tee.

Was anyone in the same boat as me and did you get a tshirt sent out in the post yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I was one of the last to collect my bib and therefore missed out on a tshirt, they took my bib number and said one would be posted out. I wouldnt normally be too bothered about it but as this was my first marathon I am hoping to get my hands on the tee.

Was anyone in the same boat as me and did you get a tshirt sent out in the post yet?

Im a medium, havent worn the shirt yet. If your not a million miles from Cork you can have it.
    Im in a good mood today.PM me if you like.

Advertisement