Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small hatchback with big boot

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

heate wrote: »
    unkel wrote: »
    I feel an epic waste of money coming up. What's your annual mileage, OP? If it is very high and your budget for variable costs is really low it would be the only reason I could see for downgrading your 6-pot BMW lion all the way down to an Octavia diesel war mileage horse
    Probably <10000m - 325i becomes a 1.9tdi 'saving' money. The usual

Mileage wouldn't be massive. No more than 12000 - 14000.

6 pot lion, couldn't give a toss about downgrading it. When they go wrong they're so costly, especially for non mechanical people like me.

Where would I be losing the money?

I'm open to all suggestions.

1.6 Jetta?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Whyner wrote: »
    Mileage wouldn't be massive. No more than 12000 - 14000.

6 pot lion, couldn't give a toss about downgrading it. When they go wrong they're so costly, especially for non mechanical people like me.

Where would I be losing the money?

I'm open to all suggestions.
    If you really want to annoy these guys, tell them you're going to scrap the 325 to get a Kia Rio :pac:

Seriously though, I think it's fair enough that you're looking to reduce your running costs. By my rough calculations, you're using nearly 3,200 litres of petrol a year (14,000 miles, assuming an average 20mpg), at current petrol prices, you're spending nearly €5k a year on juice. Even if you were to go to an efficient petrol car (40mpg), you'd cut that bill by €2.5k. By going with a 1.6 litre engine, you'd also make another €700 saving on tax. Insurance will also go down, depending on your age, you could easily be saving another few hundred there.

Go with the 1.6 litre petrol Octavia. Uninformed people will tell you that the engine is too small to push a big car like that, but that is nonsense. The Octavia may be big, but it's around the same weight as the equivalent Focus or Golf. A 100hp engine will just about give you enough power to push a 1,300kg car around. You might also want to consider the 1.6 litre Mazda 3, the boot in that would be similar to a Golf or Focus, but not as large as the Octavia. It would have similar mileage and power figures to the Octavia, but arguably has better reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Give up golf and buy a small car that's a bit of fun instead?

Give up golf and buy a small car that's a bit of fun instead?

Why even bother posting?

• Advertisement

I'm going to test drive this at lunch.

Similar to a golf but with a bigger boot?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Jetta/COMFORT-/613262855025570/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The only thing with saloons is while the boot is usually bigger than the equivalent hatchback, access can often be restricted by a smaller opening making it difficult to get larger items such as golf clubs in.

Advertisement