Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Less anime and more like VC1 please. Valkyria Chronicles is still the only game to properly handle the Final Solution theme.

Actually if it was anime as **** I'd still play it, VC2 was excellent despite the garbage story and writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hopefully it is as good as 1-3, and not a repeat of Valkyria Revolution.

Xenji wrote: »
    Hopefully it is as good as 1-3, and not a repeat of Valkyria Revolution.

Going back to the blitz system it seems.

Not a fan of the series at all but good to see the people get what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Finally looks like a worthy sequel! I've been waiting a decade for this, started to doubt it'd ever happen. CANVAS looking more beutiful than ever, great looking characters, even a Valkyria that might live up to Selvaria! and that battleship looking tank is giving me serious Skies of Arcadia vibes.

SEGA really seem to be getting their stuff together lately, Sonic Forces not withstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/932464629090942977

HOW DO YOU ANNOUNCE DLC BEFORE EVEN SHOWING GAMEPLAY?? :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Welcome to gaming in 2018!

(though to be fair, that's not really a new thing}

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Demon's Souls will drop online support in 28/2/18

https://twitter.com/gamenohanashi/status/935059964023906305

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Goodnight sweet prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Was surprised it was still going during play through I finished last week. In saying that it was dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Guess I'd better play it before then. HAve the Black Phantom edition sitting unplayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Surely the remastered version will be announced at PSX...
    Surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

Surely the remastered version will be announced at PSX...
    Surely!

It's already here :o (well, almost..give it a few months)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Lots of speculation that the timing of the Demons Souls servers being taken offline (across all regions at the same time) is because a remaster is going to be announced. PSX next week so fingers crossed

Lots of speculation that the timing of the Demons Souls servers being taken offline (across all regions at the same time) is because a remaster is going to be announced. PSX next week so fingers crossed

Here's hoping !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I would absolutely love the demons remaster, the only souls game I haven't cleared.

If they release(d) on PC (they won't) with user server support they wouldn't have to keep making 'remasters' every X amount of years to milk consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If they release(d) on PC (they won't) with user server support they wouldn't have to keep making 'remasters' every X amount of years to milk consumers.
    What about people who didn't have a PS3 and want to play it on the PS4? :confused:

On the upside, at least FromSoftware had the foresight to build the World Tendency system to work independently from central servers so players can still meet the more interesting NPCs like Executioner Miralda without the need to play online in the future.

gizmo wrote: »
    What about people who didn't have a PS3 and want to play it on the PS4? :confused:

What about them? They'll probably get exactly that as its been stated. And when the PS4's glory days are over those servers will be shut down, too. The only solution is to allow users to have their own servers and/or release on PC. That is how you get decade old games with active online communities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

What about them? They'll probably get exactly that as its been stated. And when the PS4's glory days are over those servers will be shut down, too. The only solution is to allow users to have their own servers and/or release on PC. That is how you get decade old games with active online communities.

Or just do it like Microsoft are doing and make games backward compatible on consoles?

You're not milking these people, you're giving them the ability to play games they would have otherwise missed because they didn't own the consoles that these games were originally released on. Last generation I was able to catch up on the likes of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus as I never owned a PS2, this time around I get Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (and hopefully Muramasa if sales of that release were good enough) and Yakuza Kiwama for the same reason, I don't see that as a particular bad thing at all.

Sure, it'd be great if everything was released on PC but Demon's Souls is probably the last game (well, maybe outside of Ueda's titles) that I'd give Sony stick over not releasing on the PC given the risk it represented at the time. I also have zero problem with them benefiting from these kinds of titles not just for their own sake but also for the nice middle finger it gives to other publishers who have become more risk averse over time and platform holders who don't feel like they need to invest in studios and/or interesting exclusives to support the hardware people have bought.

Sure, it'd be great if everything was released on PC but Demon's Souls is probably the last game (well, maybe outside of Ueda's titles) that I'd give Sony stick over not releasing on the PC given the risk it represented at the time. I also have zero problem with them benefiting from these kinds of titles not just for their own sake but also for the nice middle finger it gives to other publishers who have become more risk averse over time and platform holders who don't feel like they need to invest in studios and/or interesting exclusives to support the hardware people have bought.

While there was no hope of Demon's Souls getting released on PC (it was a PS3 exclusive afterall funded by Sony), lets not go white knighting Sony for 'taking a risk' with Demon's Souls. The game they initially funded From Software to make was a totally different title to what was eventually delivered. The game changed dramatically after Miyazaki rescued the project. Sony then sent the game out to die in Japan with no prospect of a western localisation, expecting the game to flop and sell 20,000 copies at most. They released it in miserable quantities and with no marketing support as they were contractually obliged to at least release the game. They admitted themselves they made a big mistake in underestimating the game and sending it out to die and not believing then passing over localisation in the west.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    While there was no hope of Demon's Souls getting released on PC (it was a PS3 exclusive afterall funded by Sony), lets not go white knighting Sony for 'taking a risk' with Demon's Souls. The game they initially funded From Software to make was a totally different title to what was eventually delivered. The game changed dramatically after Miyazaki rescued the project. Sony then sent the game out to die in Japan with no prospect of a western localisation, expecting the game to flop and sell 20,000 copies at most. They released it in miserable quantities and with no marketing support as they were contractually obliged to at least release the game. They admitted themselves they made a big mistake in underestimating the game and sending it out to die and not believing then passing over localisation in the west.
    To be fair, they've been pretty up front about the **** up upon release. Yoshida even went so far as to say he called it crap in the lead up to release but they were still allowed to build the game they wanted after Miyazaki came on board which is more than can be said for other titles from publishers on that side of the globe, *cough* Scalebound *cough*.

I've not heard of their obligation to actually release it though, that seems rather unusual for any major publisher to agree to?

Well contractually obliged was the wrong wording, more financially obliged, get it out the door and make what little they can get back on a crap game.

I've heard stories of reviewers at the time giving DS high scores fighting with their editors because they thought the game was crap and the initial show floor builds before Miyazaki rescued it previewed extremely poorly so I can see how Yoshida would think it was crap.

Well contractually obliged was the wrong wording, more financially obliged, get it out the door and make what little they can get back on a crap game.
    Ah, that makes a bit more sense. You'd actually be surprised at how often this can go the other way with some publishers deeming the final development costs and marketing push to not be worth it even after years in development. I tend to point to Dead Sun as the most public example of this but there's been plenty of instances where the publisher has gone nuclear in order to avoid the sunken costs fallacy. Funnily enough, what probably saved Demon's Souls was Sony being happy to push it out the door with zero marketing, yay for us I guess. :p
    I've heard stories of reviewers at the time giving DS high scores fighting with their editors because they thought the game was crap and the initial show floor builds before Miyazaki rescued it previewed extremely poorly so I can see how Yoshida would think it was crap.
    Found the interview with Yoshida here. Interesting few bits of info about how development practices differ between Japanese and Western developers and how it may have contributed to that negative show floor experience for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

word of mouth was definitely kind to the souls series.

I'd heard them mentioned in podcasts and on message boards etc, and had them built up in my head to being these impenetrable, impossibly difficult games that only the most elite could beat. I'd shied away from every buying one as they rarely saw a reduction on sale, and I didn't want to waste money on a game I had no hope of beating.

Roll around games with gold on xbox 360, and Dark souls was included. Again I let it sit in my games list for months before attempting it.

They say everyone has their own souls story, and I was no different, I chipped away, bit by bit, slowly making progress, getting stronger, putting boss after boss behind me. The Souls thread in here is still one of my all time favourites, and I think that 50% of the games magic is the feeling of community, whilst still being alone, of running that magnificent, dilapidated gauntlet with nothing but your wits and glimmers of information left by those who had gone before.

Demons souls is the only one in the series I havent played, and am unlikely to ever play, but I'd certainly be there on day 1 if a remaster comes to xbox.

You're not milking these people, you're giving them the ability to play games they would have otherwise missed because they didn't own the consoles that these games were originally released on. Last generation I was able to catch up on the likes of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus as I never owned a PS2, this time around I get Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (and hopefully Muramasa if sales of that release were good enough) and Yakuza Kiwama for the same reason, I don't see that as a particular bad thing at all.

It's not a bad thing but this is the generation of remasters and it isn't born from a good will to provide games to people who missed them or from a wish to see online communities thrive. Their primary target is double-dippers who are missing the quality of last generation's titles but too stubborn to or locked into their platform (Sony been working hard on that like Apple) to leave or boot up their PS3 again. If Sony or any of the publishers really cared they'd add more backwards compatibility as someone else said. But they'll close the original servers and (probably) making yet another 'remaster' to suck on that nostalgia tit. People will be buying Demon's Souls/whatever else as a 5K remaster on PS5 someday with the same reasoning in your post.

Meanwhile look at things like Star Wars Galaxies Emu, Forged Alliance Forever, Doomseeker, Swat 4 Browser Alt and many others, providing online support and even expanding the games in amazing ways long after the game has come out, still enjoyable with your original copy. No generational 'remaster' tax from multi billion dollar corporations.
    They say everyone has their own souls story, and I was no different,
    Yeah I imported it from China as soon as it was available. Those were the best 'souls' days imo. Platinum'd that title 3 times on all 3 servers (EU/NA/ASIA) for all 3 sets of the trophies.

In News and related to From Software

Armored Core titles still alive and kicking, asking fans to wait.

FFXV 2018 content announced and recently added character swapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I clicked on Dark Souls 2 (the only one I've played of the lot) there after buying it the other day, and the one thing I just can't get my head around is the lack of a pause option. Are all the other Dark/Demon Souls games etc the same?

• Advertisement

It's an always online game so a pause button just wouldn't work unfortunately. It would break online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement