Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In the case of Halo 5, if you've designed your game to run at a constant 60fps and have already made a trade off by using a dynamic resolution setup to maintain that performance, then the last thing you're going to be able to do is suddenly start rendering the scene twice for split-screen.

The same basic reasoning applies to any game though, as it does with the use, or lack thereof, of reflective surfaces in-game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

Do PC titles still have split screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm sure they do, Rocket League for example. Scarifies need to be made for it, reduced graphics, frame rate etc etc, but this has always been the case, even in PS1 days. The suggestion that modern consoles can't do it is absurd, mobile phones could do it. There just isn't much of a market for it now since the rise of internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Benzino wrote: »
    The suggestion that modern consoles can't do it is absurd,

That's not my suggestion. With enough budget & time they got MGSV working on 7th gen. The point is that multi-platform games now have feature regression because of modern consoles. Studios decide they'll target X performance, X features, X options, X graphics, X audience expectation, all based on 8th generation consoles and the audience for them. This ultimately hurts the game when it's on a PC (IMO), that has been the case thus far with the things I mentioned earlier that I've been noticing in full-feature multi-platform titles on PC. But I'm not even making a PCvConsole arguement because I wouldn't care about any of this if it had no affect on the what is released on PC. Unfortunately it does. 'consolitus' is a term I hear more of.

In news, OAG's weekly recap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And yet video games are more artistically diverse, mechanically sophisticated, and, on the whole, more varied & mature than they've ever been. It's still an adolescent medium in both age and (often) content, and like most modern mainstream entertainment its biggest enemy is the fundamentally broken system that we call capitalism - indeed, commerce is deeply embedded into the very form of video games (arcade coin-ops were built around extracting your money, after all) in a way that may never be fully shaken off.

There's lots of AAA mediocrity; Steam is oversaturated and noisy; and publishers are as brazenly money-hungry as ever. But thanks to a burgeoning, wildly varied independent scene in particular and the many positive impacts of digital distribution... not to mention the fact that a really large chunk of gaming history is more or less at our fingertips... it's probably the best time ever to be a player of video games, regardless of what hardware you own :)

And hell, surely ****ing ACTUAL WORKING VIRTUAL REALITY is a pretty significant technological leap for PC gaming?! Like I was playing Rez Infinite the other day on the Rift and that sure as hell is more of a "wow" moment than bloody Crysis ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And yet video games are more artistically diverse, mechanically sophisticated, and, on the whole, more varied & mature than they've ever been. It's still an adolescent medium in both age and (often) content

If mediums like film and television are what's considered mature, video games are doing just fine as they are.

My knuckles are bleeding from storming a castle in VR (o hai wall), that's bleeding edge technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Everybody's favourite publisher, EA, have achieved the landmark today of the most downvoted comment in Reddit's history.

In reference to Darth Vader not being included in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 base game, and instead needing to be purchased or ground out for apparently 40+ hours:
    r4bgf2p2joxz.png

EDIT: Last I saw it was at -215,000 :pac: - hopefully this forced them to pay attention, but (as someone who doesn't pay too much attention to this stuff) EA strikes me as one of the absolute chief offenders when it comes to not listening to their audience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just feel bad for the PR person who had to write this :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Billy86 wrote: »
    Everybody's favourite publisher, EA, have achieved the landmark today of the most downvoted comment in Reddit's history.

In reference to Darth Vader not being included in the Star Wars Battlefront 2 base game, and instead needing to be purchased or ground out for apparently 40+ hours:
    r4bgf2p2joxz.png

EDIT: Last I saw it was at -215,000 :pac: - hopefully this forced them to pay attention, but (as someone who doesn't pay too much attention to this stuff) EA strikes me as one of the absolute chief offenders when it comes to not listening to their audience.

Link to the comment?

Edit: Found it. 353,000 downvotes. That's mental.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/

While it'll probably come back when the sequel is released, in the meantime...

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/929772078676434944

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Is it being delisted on PS4 as well? It's only a fiver on there at the moment.

Is it being delisted on PS4 as well? It's only a fiver on there at the moment.
    Last time it disappeared from all digital stores so I'd go with yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Billy86 wrote: »

r4bgf2p2joxz.png

637K downvotes now. Plus, 65 months of reddit gold have been contributed by redditors for this submission. What is reddit gold and how does it work?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

637K downvotes now. Plus, 65 months of reddit gold have been contributed by redditors for this submission. What is reddit gold and how does it work?

Seems to be some sort of a subscriber bonus. I don't really use reddit so I have no idea what benefits it would actually give someone though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hell hath no fury like a nerd scorned.

It'll be interesting to see if all these downvotes have a tangible effect on sales. I wouldn't be holding my breath though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just to mention, EA responded last night by saying they're immediately reducing the cost for heroes by 75%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Just to mention, EA responded last night by saying they're immediately reducing the cost for heroes by 75%

They also apparently reduced the number of credits earned for campaign completion and online matches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

maximoose wrote: »
    They also apparently reduced the number of credits earned for campaign completion and online matches though.

One hand giveth, the other hand taketh away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

After being really underwhelmed by the first one on my flatmates ps4 (it was fun, but seemed like a €10 game on a €1 server) I didn't have this one the list anyway, but 100% would cancel any order over that if I was (the lowering of points per match bit). Talk about treating your consumer base with open contempt and as idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Reading the twitter comments just reinforces my view not to have anything to do with it. Really odd imo that you would air something like that in such a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

It's to prevent the comment from being hidden, after a certain point negative comments are hidden.. Gold comments are usually pinned to the top.. So it's making it more visible to others.

The gold doesn't really do anything, it's just a way to support reddit, and gives the user who received it some perks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gazzamc wrote: »
    The gold doesn't really do anything, it's just a way to support reddit, and gives the user who received it some perks.

You mean...some kind of...micro-transaction? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »
    Another name for mombots wall :o

It should keep One Angry Gamer topped up with SJW articles for at least the next six months.

It should keep One Angry Gamer topped up with SJW articles for at least the next six months.

Well, he is very angry

Still so many lad's hanging from their own petards give's one a certain level of grim amusement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

* You failed me a long time before now IGN :D

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/930212357640298496

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A few people here will be very happy about this announcement.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement