Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Destiny 2 is better than what I played of Anthem, by a long, long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The fact there in the same genre doesnt mean there the same game.

They play very differently.

If i got half the hours ive got from destiny in anthem if i buy it,it would be amazing value.

These games usually launch without enough content though and ive stopped pre ordering everything now. Destiny 2 was the first game i pre ordered in years and it turned out to be an awful dud on release. Granted its got better but id agree with gimili,D1 was just so much better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Destiny 2 is better than what I played of Anthem, by a long, long way.

Anthem must be shite.:pac:

Course it is,its not some obscure JRPG released on a 20 year old console:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EoinHef wrote: »
    Course it is,its not some obscure JRPG released on a 20 year old console:pac:

redmage-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Apparently Pennsylvania is introducing a 10% tax on violent videogames. That will stop all those gun massacres.
    Guns don't kill people, it's the videogames.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/violent-video-game-tax-proposed-in-pennsylvania/1100-6464870/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Apparently Pennsylvania is introducing a 10% tax on violent videogames. That will stop all those gun massacres.
    Guns don't kill people, it's the videogames.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/violent-video-game-tax-proposed-in-pennsylvania/1100-6464870/

What a lame excuse to make more money via tax

Wait, so they want to tax games that shouldn't be played by minors in the first place so that minors won't become aggressive and shoot up schools having played them by using the money to beef up security at said schools? That about the gist of it?

Only in America, USA USA USA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/GameDevTimes/status/1094990854698266625?s=19

Feel bad for the employees heading into a work week after seeing this talked about all weekend. They'll know themselves it's coming but it's a very low place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ERG89 wrote: »
    Feel bad for the employees heading into a work week after seeing this talked about all weekend. They'll know themselves it's coming but it's a very low place to be.
    Wouldn't be so sure of that :(

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1095069373822365698

Looks like the firesale at Starbreeze is continuing too as they sell the publishing rights for System Shock 3 back to OtherSide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Once again, anti-gamergate journalists turn out to be the ones doing all the harassing. https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/02/anti-gamergate-journalists-fired-for-targeted-harassment-campaign-against-women-feminists/76805/ We actually need a reset counter for this

vFFypJy.png

Appabend made a timely video about ethics since the topic has trended a bit.

New SONY president/CEO
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/02/11/jim-ryan-appointed-new-ceo-and-president-of-sony-interactive-entertainment/
    I doubt any single person can stop the company's censorship campaign at this point, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Once again, anti-gamergate journalists turn out to be the ones doing all the harassing. https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/02/anti-gamergate-journalists-fired-for-targeted-harassment-campaign-against-women-feminists/76805/ We actually need a reset counter for this

vFFypJy.png.

I presume they were doing some sort of false flag type thing where they were pretending to be gamergate followers so that they could write about how awful these people are by highlighting the actions of the group they had created... What a bunch of spanners. Why does this crap still have legs?

Nice comments under that article... (I don't know how to format them properly on my phone.

David Doucet
    what a ****ing name, David (implies he's Jewish)
    Doucet (implies he's douchey)
    couldn't be less obvious
    maybe he should rename himself to enfant molester and use an LGBTPQ in his Tweet bio
    i'm sure nobody would suspect him then..

-
    I'm not sure that the name David should imply that the bearer is Jewish.

...though odds are significantly higher if he pronounces it "Dah-Veeed"

-
    David is indeed a common name in French but i'm on the fence regarding this dude's nose

the nose is only slightly downwards, his skin has a bit of sand-undertones but he doesn't have elephant ears

i dunno, he's might 70% goy and 30% something else
    question is... what is that 30%?

-
    Weirdly, this guy is like the inverse of 0bama in the ears dept: his ears look too small for his head.

France once had an empire, is it also possible that this guy is blighted by having some indigenous blood in his veins?

...I've known some white Frenchmen, and the Yellow Vests demonstrate that France isn't completely cucked, but looking at this pic, I can understand why, back when Britain was a country, they believed that "Wogs begin at Calais".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

I presume they were doing some sort of false flag type thing where they were pretending to be gamergate followers so that they could write about how awful these people are by highlighting the actions of the group they had created... What a bunch of spanners. Why does this crap still have legs?

Nice comments under that article... (I don't know how to format them properly on my phone.

David Doucet
    what a ****ing name, David (implies he's Jewish)
    Doucet (implies he's douchey)
    couldn't be less obvious
    maybe he should rename himself to enfant molester and use an LGBTPQ in his Tweet bio
    i'm sure nobody would suspect him then..

-
    I'm not sure that the name David should imply that the bearer is Jewish.

...though odds are significantly higher if he pronounces it "Dah-Veeed"

-
    David is indeed a common name in French but i'm on the fence regarding this dude's nose

the nose is only slightly downwards, his skin has a bit of sand-undertones but he doesn't have elephant ears

i dunno, he's might 70% goy and 30% something else
    question is... what is that 30%?

-
    Weirdly, this guy is like the inverse of 0bama in the ears dept: his ears look too small for his head.

France once had an empire, is it also possible that this guy is blighted by having some indigenous blood in his veins?

...I've known some white Frenchmen, and the Yellow Vests demonstrate that France isn't completely cucked, but looking at this pic, I can understand why, back when Britain was a country, they believed that "Wogs begin at Calais".

WDF are you rambling about?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They're the comments below the article Robert linked to. Standard stuff for people who care about "ethics in games journalism" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,361 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »
    They're the comments below the article Robert linked to. Standard stuff for people who care about "ethics in games journalism" :rolleyes:

Not to mention the ethics of the "journalists" writing for that site Robert Ninja keeps linking to.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/02/apex-legends-gets-woke-early-reveals-gibraltar-is-gay-bloodhound-is-non-binary/76553/
    Game Revolution is reporting that two of the eight playable characters have been outed as LGBTQIA.

The first character is Gibraltar, one of the few masculine characters in the game. But if you thought he pumped iron, kept in shape, and maintained a hard edge to impress the ladies, you were wrong. When it comes to astronomy, he’s the kind of guy who only dreams about touring Uranus.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/02/sjws-rage-over-splatoon-2-sanrio-character-plushy-being-whitewashed/76771/
    Either way, those Social Justice corners of the web are completely butt-flustered, and cheek-chaffed over the complexion of a plushie, which is indicative of how far removed they are from anything remotely related to any sort of important issues in life.
    (says the f*cklump writing a whole article about it)

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/02/activision-blizzard-to-layoff-hundreds-of-employees-according-to-bloomberg/76678/
    It’s likely that the lawsuit will give the shareholders a nice big, fat payout and then Activision may either downsize or close out non-profitable divisions. Don’t be surprised if Overwatch and its e-sports division end up on the chopping block given that the company scuttled the brand’s worth by focusing on courting the Social Justice crowd instead of building a game that was fun to play and was actually worth the price of entry.

Christ I can't remember the last time I encountered such a p*ss-poor site. I think considering their take on anything as "news" is an insult to the very idea of ethical journalism.

To paraphrase Stewart Lee; "You can read that site and dismiss it as nonsense... or you can just dismiss it as nonsense to save time..."

Left or right,crazy people everywhere these days.

Crazy how one side thinks the other sides actions justify their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gamergate really has legs for some :rolleyes:

They're the comments below the article Robert linked to. Standard stuff for people who care about "ethics in games journalism" non-moderated comment sections
    Penn wrote: »
    Christ I can't remember the last time I encountered such a p*ss-poor site. I think considering their take on anything as "news" is an insult to the very idea of ethical journalism.

Exactly my feelings on the usual sites and journos referenced around here. OAG is one of the only sites to comprehensively and continuously cover the Valve & Sony censorship campaigns as well as the Mignogna case and similar topics.

Medium doesn't like users reporting on sex offenders in the games industry. Luckily archives captured the article, but the writer is now banned.
    https://twitter.com/mombot/status/1094419615558451200

Activision/blizzard still tumbling down in value.
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-12-activision-blizzard-share-prices-slumps-to-two-year-low

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Maybe some day you'll understand that a business decision by a company in a capitalist market to attempt to sell more products in that market is not the same thing as censorship, but today it seems, is not that day. For what it's worth, I think it's scummy practice for a company to change art so they can sell more of it, but this is the reality of the commodification of art as a mass media and mass consumer product going back to time immemorial. You can make Art or you can make Products, and if you're really, really lucky, sometimes you can make both.

Also, I call total BS on your defence of hate speech as "the norm" in unmoderated parts of the internet. It's reprehensible that you would even attempt to defend it and it's disgusting that you keep linking to such a site. If you can't cite something other than hate speech as a "defence" for your deluded points of view then your argument is already lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Odd how said company in same said capitalist market, will release the game on switch without edits. Almost like a third party is involved.

Or maybe they just don't want to sell more.

• Advertisement

Maybe some day you'll understand that a business decision by a company in a capitalist market to attempt to sell more products in that market

Yeah maybe someday I will when there's not clear evidence that there's a double standard for what type of content gets censored (forgotten SJW sex games on steam getting a free pass already?). China is a huge reason censorship is rampant which is a business decision and yet it's still censorship and deplorable. Bad enough they censor their own content but our products and industry overall suffering from it is not something I have to like and I wish more gaming websites that aren't strictly games-only driven would bring it up objectively. But most have been pro-censorship for the silliest of reasons for so long they're unlikely to.
    Also, I call total BS on your defence of hate speech as "the norm" in unmoderated parts of the internet.

It's not the 'norm' but it's about 100% more likely to be displayed for nothing other than the simple fact that it can be. I'll assume this is a shock because you spend very little time in non-moderated of very sparsely moderated sites that don't agree with you. Just a guess.
    and it's disgusting that you keep linking to such a site.

I'd usually default to archiving so the user can see the page/site as it was when I found it as well as choose for themselves to visit the actual site and generate revenue for them, but that is now against the rules from the last time people got upset about it. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.

I find it disgusting to link to many other sites I don't like given their history and staff. I try not to bring it up every time, though.
    If you can't cite something other than hate speech as a "defence" for your deluded points of view then your argument is already lost

I didn't cite the comments section that was kunst and citing doesn't mean agreeing (pretty sure kunst wasn't agreeing with what they quoted). Unless you're suggesting the actual articles themselves are 'hate speech'? in which case good luck with getting them demonetized, platformed or reported to authorities as that seems to be the trend for people who assume they are the judges of whatever hate speech is and what things deserve its label. That or just make another posting rule based on the triggering my news posts cause. I'm sure a whitelist & blacklist of acceptable news sources surely wouldn't further reveal any biases that vindicate gamergate claims. :rolleyes:
    It's reprehensible that you would even attempt to defend it

I don't even know what you think I'm defending nor am I interested. I try to have at least something news-like linked or talked about at some point in my posts in the news thread, something surely a mod would want to do as a shining example. You're free to send me as much hatespeech you want via PMs, of course.

Well here's more twitter post/thread about the current happenings of the actual harassment campaign.

https://twitter.com/TheFrenchCritic/status/1094592756113129473

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

OMG, not gaming news related, but I've just discovered the 'Ignore User' button on boards. I predict my gamergate related reading will decrease by 98.3% .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Let's please lay off the Gamergate carry-on. It's done: let's move on like most of the rest of the world has. This thread is not the place for it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Activision cull 800 people to ensure more COD and Diablo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Activision cull 800 people to ensure more COD and Diablo

No. More likely to stabilise their shares to make their shareholders happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Ye what are they playing at, trying to do the one thing they're legally required to do as a publicly traded company with a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Record year for Activision.

800 people lose their jobs.

The system is tragically, unsustainably broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »

So they are not culling 800 people to make more COD and Diablo? :confused:
    The company said it would be cutting mainly non-game-development departments and bolstering its development staff for franchises like Call of Duty and Diablo.

Activision cull 800 people to ensure more COD and Diablo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,129 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

“While our financial results for 2018 were the best in our history, we didn’t realize our full potential. To help us reach our full potential, we have made a number of important leadership changes. These changes should enable us to achieve the many opportunities our industry affords us, especially with our powerful owned franchises, our strong commercial capabilities, our direct digital connections to hundreds of millions of players, and our extraordinarily talented employees.”

There is greed and then there is greed. "We're swimming in cash but we could be swimming in more!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Record year for Activision.

800 people lose their jobs.

The system is tragically, unsustainably broken.
    Amusing thing to note on this point that also relates to your modern capitalism post in the Loot boxes thread...

Since the release of Apex Legends, EA's stock price has not only recovered from the fall following their most recent earnings call but it's now actually 5% higher than its prior position. Finding this turn around more than a little amusing I had a little poke around to see were there any Youtube videos made on the recovery. Nope. Yesterday afternoon, however, Jim Sterling did upload a video on a related note, CAAApitalism: The Successful Failure Of Videogames.

Now, while the video contains the usual dose of off-base hyperbole I tend to dislike, he was also particularly scathing about the whole capitalism side of things. The net result? :pac:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1095010874916524032

As for the Activision news, I maintain my position that they're the Blofeld to EA's Dr. Evil in the grand scheme of things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement