Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm ****e without the NPC cannon fodder grunts. They made me feel like a pro in Titanfall :-)

It's the pilots making the grunts flight for their amusement in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Played a few games last night to see what it was all about, and I don't think its a game for me, it feels like an odd mashup of the titanfall universe, fortnite and overwatch. movement feels like it should be at least twice as fast, and the lack of wallrunning is a major letdown. There are some nice ideas, like the jumpmaster, who gets to pick the dropzone, and control the teams descent. The main thing that doesn't work for me is the art style, they've gone for something that almost looks cel shaded, and I personally dont like that style. The gunplay also didn't feel good to me. I might try a few more games to see if it improves with a bit of persistence, but at the moment, I cant see myself putting in any real time with it.

• Played a few games last night to see what it was all about, and I don't think its a game for me, it feels like an odd mashup of the titanfall universe, fortnite and overwatch. movement feels like it should be at least twice as fast, and the lack of wallrunning is a major letdown. There are some nice ideas, like the jumpmaster, who gets to pick the dropzone, and control the teams descent. The main thing that doesn't work for me is the art style, they've gone for something that almost looks cel shaded, and I personally dont like that style. The gunplay also didn't feel good to me. I might try a few more games to see if it improves with a bit of persistence, but at the moment, I cant see myself putting in any real time with it.

Mash in bits from other successful games and then steer the actual original vision of a particular series away from what it once was in the process. Then monitize.

Sounds like a job for Captain EA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mash in bits from other successful games and then steer the actual original vision of a particular series away from what it once was in the process. Then monitize.

Captain ea likes to milk wallets and ruin gaming dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds exactly what happened with Fortnite. Epic mash in bits from other successful games (PUPG), then steer the actual original vision of a particular series away from what it once was in the process (a horde game). Then monitize.

Blank+_066fb3ee131beb9aed6088300e75b326.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Played a bit too, just Battle Royale ****e with extra care for diversity. Not sure there's any white characters at all, not that it should matter to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm currently downloading this as I traded in BlOps 4 recently, so more for to see if it's a replacement for my usual CoD fix. Can it be played solo? If not, i'm gonna stop the download now. I was never a team player. Prefer to carve my own path.

Also, I absolutely love the fact that people were giving out stink about the advanced movement in CoD, that it was only copying Titanfall (even though they felt quite different to me). So CoD listened to the fans and went back to BOTG, and now people are giving out that the advanced movement is missing from this. So only certain games can have advanced movement? Pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Played a bit too, just Battle Royale ****e with extra care for diversity. Not sure there's any white characters at all, not that it should matter to anyone.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Also, I absolutely love the fact that people were giving out stink about the advanced movement in CoD, that it was only copying Titanfall (even though they felt quite different to me). So CoD listened to the fans and went back to BOTG, and now people are giving out that the advanced movement is missing from this. So only certain games can have advanced movement? Pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm currently downloading this as I traded in BlOps 4 recently, so more for to see if it's a replacement for my usual CoD fix. Can it be played solo? If not, i'm gonna stop the download now. I was never a team player. Prefer to carve my own path.

It's squads of three but it's free. I presume there's matchmaking with randoms which is often a marriage forged in hell.

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Do you start many posts with "Sigh..."

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's squads of three but it's free. I presume there's matchmaking with randoms which is often a marriage forged in hell.

to give it credit where its due, it has a 'ping' function thats surprisingly flexible, simply point at a location, ammo, gun, item or enemy, and tap RB and it calls it out to your teammate. vert handy for anyone who doesn't like dealing with randoms and their voice chats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Great. That's me more or less out then. I'll leave it download in the hopes there will be a SP part at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Interestingly enough, Respawn are hiring for an AI Engineer for the project. Could mean anything for the future of course; PvE mode, AI bots to make up server numbers, AI bots in-game like in Titanfall MP or perhaps the ability to call in Titans in Guard/Follow mode as a perk.

Speaking of hiring, they also appear to have an unannounced VR project on the go. Some kind of Titanfall VR project perhaps?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would be cool if they stuck a frontier defense type horde mode in it.

Deathmatches, Flag, Control anything like that and I wouldn't have deleted it after one match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I’d consider one match woefully inadequate to even start coming to grips with a new multiplayer title - and that holds true of my time with Apex Legends so far.

Fair enough if one doesn’t like battle royale games generally, but downloading a 20gb one and then writing it off after a single match is unnecessarily extreme IMO :)

It's the battle royale thing, I go in hoping I'll like it, and then I just hate it. Needed room for Hitman anyway. I would have kept otherwise.

Games are BIG

Personally I’d consider one match woefully inadequate to even start coming to grips with a new multiplayer title - and that holds true of my time with Apex Legends so far.

Fair enough if one doesn’t like battle royale games generally, but downloading a 20gb one and then writing it off after a single match is unnecessarily extreme IMO :)

I'd agree but I did the same with PUBG and I paid a tenner for it. There's just so much more other things I'm playing at the moment, if it doesn't grab me immediately I'm not going to put time into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I tried a match but got stuck on the training as no one was joining my match. I only had a choice to Ready up but got stuck like that til I turned it off. Anyone else get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

you have to do the training first

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

you have to do the training first

That's what I selected, looked like I was waiting for a training match, will give it a go again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Details on EA's earnings call for the third quarter are beginning to come in and the results are pretty unsurprising...

EA says holiday quarter was ‘difficult’ and missed expectations

Daniel Ahmad from Niko Partners is tweeting about it currently.

Some interesting bits so far at least, a new "premium Titanfall game" later this year that's a "twist on the franchise" and digital sales seeing an increase from 47% to 37% year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

gizmo wrote: »
    Speaking of hiring, they also appear to have an unannounced VR project on the go. Some kind of Titanfall VR project perhaps?

That would be class. Got an Occulus at Christmas and some of the games are just wow!

Trophy list for Borderlands GOTY in the wild, how many times to they have to re-release these before we see Borderlands 3? Replayed it last summer and it hasn't aged well. That said given the climate today for loot/lootboxes and pressure from publishers to monetise and GaaS I'm kind of glad we haven't seen it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

gizmo wrote: »
    Some interesting bits so far at least, a new "premium Titanfall game" later this year that's a "twist on the franchise" and digital sales seeing an increase from 47% to 37% year on year.

In this one, the Titans leap from the ground up into space!

TitanRise, coming Holiday 2019!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EA blaming bfv numbers on release date (was very full quarter) and focusing on the single player rather than battleroyal.

Varik wrote: »
    EA blaming bfv numbers on release date and focusing on the single player rather than battleroyal.

The same EA that said single player games are dying the year GOW, RDR2, Spiderman and RE 2 remake all released to universal acclaim? Go home EA, you're drunk!

I'd also hazard a guess that with Respawn's Apex Legends having caught the industry on the hop and being well received (at least initially) it's done fatal damage to some other pretenders in this genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

BFV is the most average BF game ive ever played. Id say that might have something to do with the low sales EA:P

Its become a formulaic series for me.

I cant see the battle royale mode being much better really. With COD,Fortnite,PUBG and now Apex Legends the space is pretty well served. I cant see them making their experience a step above whats already there.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    EA blaming bfv numbers on release date (was very full quarter) and focusing on the single player rather than battleroyal.

If anything, it was that the game wasn't a radical enough departure from BF1. Everyone thought the WW1 setting was what they wanted, but in reality, they wanted a sequel to BF4 that wasn't the cops and robbers nonsense of hardline.

4 for me is still a near perfect game, hardline and bf1 went to far towards being twitch shooters and they bumped up the movement speed too much for my liking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement