Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

TitianGerm wrote: »
    And? If someone wants all three games now they can buy a bundle and save money.

If you own the games or don't want them you don't need to buy it.

If you only want one game then you can buy that individually.

I really don't see the problem here :confused:
    I've just stated why I find it an issue. It's a rip off.

It's ok if you personally do not see a problem with it.

You're not saving any money, this thing is a expensive collectors edition.

It's includes a remaster that was released a few months ago as said but the rest is the 2 current gen games, as well as a some physical stuff and bonus disc (probably usual bonus disc stuff).

€40 remaster plus 2 old games and a lot of extras for €250-300. From looking at Cex you'd get 20 for the remaster now and I can't believe there's too many people who'd be pushed over this if they're buying this expensive collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Varik wrote: »

It's includes a remaster that was released a few months ago as said but the rest is the 2 current gen games, as well as a some physical stuff and bonus disc (probably usual bonus disc stuff).

€40 remaster plus 2 old games and a lot of extras for €250-300. From looking at Cex you'd get 20 for the remaster now and I can't believe there's too many people who'd be pushed over this if they're buying this expensive collection.

Trilogy is a toned down version of Japanese one. It's €60/70 not €250-300.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's $80

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Trilogy-PlayStation-4/dp/B07FDKWPKV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think you've mixed up the Trilogy editions being talked about, this thing is $80 in the US. Dark Souls Remastered is currently $40 both digitally and in store and you can get the complete editions of the sequels for around $20/$25 from the likes of Amazon US. Therefore you can save a couple of dollars and get the complete trilogy with just one purchase, it's not too bad for someone new to the series.

If, however, you compare it to current PSN prices, you'd be paying $40 for the DS:Remastered, $40 for Dark Souls II and $85 for Dark Souls 3 meaning you'd save...considerably more with the Trilogy edition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Same lads who tried to charge for a Direct X update. Milking it is their main business model. I woundn't have a problem with it if they managed to keep the servers unified but all they do is drain the active online users of the previously released game as they flock to the latest release which can often look worse.

Valve making moves to have more linux support https://nichegamer.com/2018/08/21/steam-is-getting-new-built-in-tools-to-let-users-run-windows-games-on-linux/

• Advertisement

Japanese games tend to still follow some of the archaic standard of yesteryear. Having to create in-game usernames and having separate friends list, and if you've more than one slot having a different friends list for each. Look a Monster hunter, it's party system was worse than most games but was praised as it could have been much worse.
    gizmo wrote: »
    I think you've mixed up the Trilogy editions being talked about, this thing is $80 in the US. Dark Souls Remastered is currently $40 both digitally and in store and you can get the complete editions of the sequels for around $20/$25 from the likes of Amazon US. Therefore you can save a couple of dollars and get the complete trilogy with just one purchase, it's not too bad for someone new to the series.

If, however, you compare it to current PSN prices, you'd be paying $40 for the DS:Remastered, $40 for Dark Souls II and $85 for Dark Souls 3 meaning you'd save...considerably more with the Trilogy edition. :)

Looked up Amazon Japan as I thought everyone meant it was Japan only and all they seemed to have was a big collectors edition with the 3 for PS4. The US amazon seems to have it listed but looks like a 3rd party import just listed on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

No AC in 2019 would have been a decision made in 2014/5.
    They take 4-5 years to produce from different teams within UBI.

Hopefully they may be able to release new story content from Odyssey during 2019 to keep it going :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

marcbrophy wrote: »
    No AC in 2019 would have been a decision made in 2014/5.
    They take 4-5 years to produce from different teams within UBI.

Hopefully they may be able to release new story content from Odyssey during 2019 to keep it going :)

Yeah, looks like this is their new plan, have one of their major teams release an all new game in one year (Origins), then another team release a remix using the same tech and assets the next year (Odyssey), take a year off to polish the next game. It's not a bad plan, better than what they've done previously.

I do note that that they say that there'll be no "major" release, meaning that there could still be some kind of chronicles game, or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penn wrote: »
    I think it's been acknowledged that the biggest problem was the PS3 architecture. It wasn't capable of playing PS2/PS1 games (early models of the PS3 had an extra chip inside to play those, but was removed from later models).

Just in relation to this - all PS3 consoles could play PS1 games, only the launch consoles could play PS2 and PS1 games.

Just in relation to this - all PS3 consoles could play PS1 games, only the launch consoles could play PS2 and PS1 games.

Huh. Never knew that about the PS1 games. Is it download only titles, or will it play PS1 discs?

• Advertisement

Huh. Never knew that about the PS1 games. Is it download only titles, or will it play PS1 discs?

Disc and there were digital too.

They also had an adaptor to use PS1/PS2 memory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All PS3 models can play PS2 games through emulation as well. However Unless you have an early model you can't play disc games, only games purchased from PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ...However Unless you have an early model you can't play disc games, only games purchased from PSN.

Only the original fat 60gb PS3, which also had additional media ports, was backwards compatible. The other launch models (40gb and 80gb, iirc), couldn't play PS2 games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Notorious wrote: »
    Only the original fat 60gb PS3, which also had additional media ports, was backwards compatible. The other launch models (40gb and 80gb, iirc), couldn't play PS2 games.

No they can. PS2 classics use PS2 emulation. Sony could have let you use discs but then they couldn't charge you for games then! :pac:

No they can. PS2 classics use PS2 emulation. Sony could have let you use discs but then they couldn't charge you for games then! :pac:

Are you sure? I've a 40gb launch PS3 and it definitely can't play PS2 disks. I used to work in Game back in the day and the 60gb console was very sought after for it's backwards compatibility.

Notorious wrote: »
    Are you sure? I've a 40gb launch PS3 and it definitely can't play PS2 disks. I used to work in Game back in the day and the 60gb console was very sought after for it's backwards compatibility.

PS2 classics on PSN. If you hack your PS3 you can get the emulator to run anything on it, with a few issues in some games.

PS2 classics on PSN. If you hack your PS3 you can get the emulator to run anything on it, with a few issues in some games.

Ah! I was referring to physical copies :pac: Wires crossed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Several killed in a mass shooting at a Madden tournament in Florida: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45315970

Another senseless American tragedy. Sad to see some folk just out to play some games become victims of a shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Several killed in a mass shooting at a Madden tournament in Florida: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45315970

Another senseless American tragedy. Sad to see some folk just out to play some games become victims of a shooting.

There's a clip on Twitter where you can see a red dot focus on a guy before the screen goes blank and shots are fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So can imagine two takeaways from this:

A) Games will be blamed for it, no other factor will be allowed (gunman's mental state, availability of firearms, literally anything else).

B) Some news report will drag GTA into this in a "violent vidja games" insight and how they are the devil incarnate, bonus points if they bring up "you can pay for a hooker, f**k her and then kill her to get your money back"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jesus, and I was just watching (and laughing at) the latest Who is America episode where in the credits, he brings to light the attitude of 'it's crazy to want to kill a group of people with a machine gun but you should be able to buy any machine gun you like'. I heard you could hear the gunshots on certain twitch streams. So ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

All PS3 models can play PS2 games through emulation as well. However Unless you have an early model you can't play disc games, only games purchased from PSN.

Really? I though it was known that only ps3 60gb phat could play all 3 formats. The major reason I kept my ps3 phat all the way through last gen. I still have it and it still works.
    When they did phat 40gb it was the end on ps1, ps2 games on ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So can imagine two takeaways from this:

A) Games will be blamed for it, no other factor will be allowed (gunman's mental state, availability of firearms, literally anything else).

B) Some news report will drag GTA into this in a "violent vidja games" insight and how they are the devil incarnate, bonus points if they bring up "you can pay for a hooker, f**k her and then kill her to get your money back"

I just sow it. Its so fecked up and sad, but unfortunately I can already see americam media spin on it about how it was a gaming fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gunmonkey wrote: »

TBH, I think the conversation has largely moved on from that moral panic. I mean, a few Republicans - Trump included - are still trying to fly that flag as a distraction from their shameful inaction, and I'm sure the odd alarmist article or feature pops up here and there. But for the most part, in any reasonably respectable publication, the actual issues do dominate the endless debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Apparently the shooter was a player who lost to the guy you see the laser sight on.

News updated to 2 dead not sure if the shooter is counted as one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Apparently the shooter was a player who lost to the guy you see the laser sight on.

News updated to 2 dead not sure if the shooter is counted as one of them.

2 dead, 11 injured and then shot himself in the head from what i've read, ultimate gamer rage, what a pathetic asshole. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

nix wrote: »
    2 dead, 11 injured and then shot himself in the head from what i've read, ultimate gamer rage, what a pathetic asshole. :(

you'd think that from going home and returning to the venue he could have calmed the fk down. In my shameful past I've destroyed a few controllers but never been angry with anyone over gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

nix wrote: »
    ultimate gamer rage

I wouldn't be calling what that psycho did gamer rage. Plays right into the hands of people who say video games make people violent.

Lovely twitter responses to EA about how they had it coming because of loot boxes.

Gamers are literally the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Lovely twitter responses to EA about how they had it coming because of loot boxes.

Gamers are literally the worst.
    Jayziz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement