Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

nix wrote: »
    Yeah its aimed at people who havent played them, cant really fault them for providing a trilogy pack, it will be good value.

I'll probably pick it up myself in a few years in a steam sale, so i have it forever via steam.

I currently have 2 and 3 on PS4, which will be useless in a few years unless i hang on to my PS4 forever. :(

id be shocked if ps5 doesnt play ps4 titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

id be shocked if ps5 doesnt play ps4 titles.

Prepare to be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Prepare to be shocked.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

GOG launches an educational, anti DRM initiative.

https://nichegamer.com/2018/08/21/gog-announces-new-fck-drm-initiative/

I wonder if they'll mention the censored EU report that suggested piracy does the opposite of hurting sales. ( https://www.dsogaming.com/news/piracy-actually-increases-legitimate-sales-of-video-games-according-to-eu-commisions-report/ )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Is there anything to be said for a Conker's Bad Fur Day remake/sequel/etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Great Mighty Poo in 4K.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Billy86 wrote: »

A game IMO best left relegated to the past. Its Meet the Spartans quality ‘parodies’, adolescent edginess and sub-par platforming do not hold up at all. Although honestly I don’t know if they ever did, slight novelty factor back in the day aside... I only got around to it on the XBox and it was actually pretty grim and cringey to play through even then.

Humour and platforming in games have come a long way since Conkers. Reloaded is playable on Xbox One though, isn’t it? If you do want to try.

Just remembering there was a weird DLC spin-off / sequel thing for that Project Spark programme a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Meh maybe so, I was about 13 when it came out so was bang on the perfect age for it, but perhaps it's best left untouched for that same reason.

I still remember the Matrix security shootout scene very fondly though, it surely asn't the first to do it but the destructible scenery was pretty mind blowing to me at the time.

Billy86 wrote: »
    The Great Mighty Poo in 4K.
    Reloaded is playable on Xbox One though, isn’t it? If you do want to try.

Yes, looks glorious in 4K on the X.
    A game IMO best left relegated to the past. Its Meet the Spartans quality ‘parodies’, adolescent edginess and sub-par platforming do not hold up at all. Although honestly I don’t know if they ever did, slight novelty factor back in the day aside... I only got around to it on the XBox and it was actually pretty grim and cringey to play through even then.

Humour and platforming in games have come a long way since Conkers.

Whereas I recently replayed it on the Xbox One and had a blast. Thought it was a great trip down memory lane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd side with Johnny on this one. It's not a good game and never really was and the attempts at humour really fall flat. If you've no nostalgic connection to it it's not going to impress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

why?

As they make more money selling you the games again, plus its apparently meant to be hard to do, though likely a lot easier with everything going digital. In which case I'd have to buy them again as i don't buy digital when buying console games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

As they make more money selling you the games again, plus its apparently meant to be hard to do, though likely a lot easier with everything going digital. In which case I'd have to buy them again as i don't buy digital when buying console games.

Games being sold digital is one of the least important things for any future consoles backwards compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Microsoft are providing both 360 and Xbox games via Backwards Compatibly.

I think it's more the fact Sony would prefer you received buy a game than making it available free.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Varik wrote: »
    Games being sold digital is one of the least important things for any future consoles backwards compatibility.

Surely it's some bit important if future consoles won't have disk drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Microsoft are providing both 360 and Xbox games via Backwards Compatibly.

I think it's more the fact Sony would prefer you received buy a game than making it available free.

I think it's been acknowledged that the biggest problem was the PS3 architecture. It wasn't capable of playing PS2/PS1 games (early models of the PS3 had an extra chip inside to play those, but was removed from later models). Then it meant the PS4 wasn't able to play PS3 games (I think I read the PS4 just isn't capable of emulating PS3 games due to the PS3 architecture they were designed for). Hence why you can only stream PS3 games through PS Now since it isn't actually your PS4 that's playing them, and even if they bring in the option to download games from PS Now (which there have been rumours about), it's possible it won't include PS3 games.

At this stage I would be shocked and extremely disappointed if the PS5 wasn't backwards compatible with at least PS4 games. They really have no excuse at this point and Microsoft are completely showing them up at this point. And given the market lead Sony have with the PS4, allowing players to keep their game libraries would be one of the biggest selling points the PS5 could have. I didn't mind not having BC from PS3 to PS4 as much because I didn't have that big a library of games and I still had my PS3 anyway, but I have to admit it'd be a travesty if they don't have it for the PS5.

Penn wrote: »
    I think it's been acknowledged that the biggest problem was the PS3 architecture. It wasn't capable of playing PS2/PS1 games (early models of the PS3 had an extra chip inside to play those, but was removed from later models). Then it meant the PS4 wasn't able to play PS3 games (I think I read the PS4 just isn't capable of emulating PS3 games due to the PS3 architecture they were designed for). Hence why you can only stream PS3 games through PS Now since it isn't actually your PS4 that's playing them, and even if they bring in the option to download games from PS Now (which there have been rumours about), it's possible it won't include PS3 games.

At this stage I would be shocked and extremely disappointed if the PS5 wasn't backwards compatible with at least PS4 games. They really have no excuse at this point and Microsoft are completely showing them up at this point. And given the market lead Sony have with the PS4, allowing players to keep their game libraries would be one of the biggest selling points the PS5 could have. I didn't mind not having BC from PS3 to PS4 as much because I didn't have that big a library of games and I still had my PS3 anyway, but I have to admit it'd be a travesty if they don't have it for the PS5.

If it does or doesn't have back compatibility I'll still buy one. Have to have all the newest consoles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If it does or doesn't have back compatibility I'll still buy one. Have to have all the newest consoles :pac:

Yeah I'll be the same but must admit it kills me I cant play MW2 on the PS4 with a large player count. Ah I know it'd be hacked to bits in no time and noob-tubes but I'm irrational when it comes to the older CODs.

• Taking the piss at this stage.

Dark Souls Trilogy about 2 months after the release of the remaster

https://worthplaying.com/article/2018/8/21/news/110580/

Taking the piss at this stage.

It's aimed at people new to the series. I don't see what's so bad about giving them all three games and DLC at a reduced price?

Taking the piss at this stage.

Not being released in Europe.
    https://twitter.com/destructoid/status/1032245243138199552

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Penn wrote: »

now people will be angry for an entirely different reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's aimed at people new to the series. I don't see what's so bad about giving them all three games and DLC at a reduced price?

Yeah, it's not like anyone is forced to buy it.

• TitianGerm wrote: »

It's called milking the cash cow

Already sold the remaster only a couple of months ago for 40

It's a load of ****e

It's called milking the cash cow

Already sold the remaster only a couple of months ago for 40

It's a load of ****e

And? If someone wants all three games now they can buy a bundle and save money.

If you own the games or don't want them you don't need to buy it.

If you only want one game then you can buy that individually.

I really don't see the problem here :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Also it's not out in Europe.....
    Personally I'd buy it if I could as I don't have any dark souls games on PS4 only have Bloodborne.

Anyway in actual news, No Assassins Creed next year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    Anyway in actual news, No Assassins Creed next year

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1032269991561887746?s=19

So Either Ubisoft are focusing on the new one as a 'games as a service title' or taking more time to get the engine ready for the inevitable new generation of consoles so there will be an ass creed game for the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They've gone more RPG on the new one it looks like. That's a great move, there was room for another Witcher style game. The AC franchise needed to change it up.

They've gone more RPG on the new one it looks like. That's a great move, there was room for another Witcher style game. The AC franchise needed to change it up.

Yeah I'm actually starting to properly look forward to this one, which I haven't done for an AC title in years. I know Origins was by most accounts a great game and if I'd spent more time with it I probably would have gotten into it past the first few hours, but this looks like another great step forward in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Whenever I think about the creation of Assassin creed games or COD or any game made by EA, the image below always comes to mind..

latest?cb=20121216015210

:pac:

• Advertisement

• TitianGerm wrote: »

I've just stated why I find it an issue. It's a rip off.

It's ok if you personally do not see a problem with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement