Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance relationships do they work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

They work if both of you want it to work. With Skype and the like long distance doesn't seem as long!

My fiance and I started off long distance. Galway to Dublin and I moved to Galway after a year and moved in with her.

I had a couple of long distance relationships before that and the good thing about the break up was that there was little chance of you bumping into your ex in the local!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

wrmwit wrote: »
    My fiance and I started off long distance. Galway to Dublin and I moved to Galway after a year and moved in with her.
    That seems to be the key in a lot of cases, friends of mine who have started in LDRs and have made them work have always moved in together within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That seems to be the key in a lot of cases, friends of mine who have started in LDRs and have made them work have always moved in together within a year.
    That's funny actually, my now wife moved to London for two years to study. I never really considered it a LDR as the longest we went without seeing eachother was six weeks, but 2-3 weeks was more typical and she was home during Xmas and easter and summers.

But as soon as she came home permanently we were on the hunt for somewhere to live even though we were both in stable (and cheap!) living arrangments 20 minutes away from eachother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I was gonna tell you - No - long-distance relationships don't usually work in the long-run. Then I see that you're long-distance is 90 minutes!!!!!

FFS - that means I'm having a long-distance relationship with my job and wife as I drive about 90 minutes twice a day too and from work.

Your relationship won't work until you man the fupp up. If a 90 minute drive puts you off seeing a woman you really, really like then I'm not sure where that leaves you. Maybe check your next door neighbour's house.....anyone available in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

90 minutes?

yeah I used to have a car that slow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

No offence to the posters above but Nenagh Dublin and 90 mins is not long distance. You can't honestly believe that.

None taken...although 90 mins on a motorbike to Nenagh in all weather conditions after working a 10 hour shift is 'a serious commitment' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

If you truly like the other person you will make the effort so yes, it's just down to them then

• Registered Users Posts: 23 the quick fix

Hi

Jus need to get of insight on whether long distance relationships actually work??

Thats a tough question and depends on the 2 people involved. I have been in a long distance relationship now with a girl in Canada for 3 years. I won't say its easy but it tests the character and relationship for the trust required. They work if the 2 people have a clear idea of where it is going. Everything has to be out in the open as to whether dating can continue during long distance and most importantly that if you can answer the question of is it worth the effort.

I am in university and her too and the last time i seen her was just a year ago but keeping in contact through facebook or msn is essential to not becoming distant with one another and still having a foothold in each others lives. In short yes they work and can be extremely rewarding. The question is if you have the character to make it work.

Advertisement