Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance relationships do they work?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

Jus need to get of insight on whether long distance relationships actually work??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

90 Minutes? FFS man meet in the middle, 45 minutes, BAM, ride her like ya stole her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Um. That's not "long distance".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

90 minutes isn't long distance. I have traveled 6000 miles to see a girl. (No, I'm not joking.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hi

Jus need to get of insight on whether long distance relationships actually work??

I met this girl out in Dublin before Xmas and since we have been getting on very well and meeting up alot

only thing tho is we live 90 mins away from each other,i work monday to friday and she is a guard so sher work various shifts

i can really see it going somewhere but afraid it mitent work

Your thoughts please?

Did you meet in Coppers per-chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Derek i think this is all in your head, i dont think you met anyone over xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

90 minutes isn't long distance. I have traveled 6000 miles to see a girl. (No, I'm not joking.)

Desperado

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 derekmccabe4

Did you meet in Coppers per-chance?

yes possibly why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

once you're married 90mins won't be long enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

90 minutes depending on where you are can be considered long distance lads and ladies!
    with the M4 90 minutes will get you from Galway to Kildare!
    but then again depending on traffic sometimes 90 minutes will get you from Bray to Blanchardstown!

OP if you were both Mon to Fri and could see each other every weekend then it wouldn't be too bad, it'll be harder with her having the hours that Garda have, I think you ultimately have to ask yourself is it worth the time and effort it takes to commit to this? and it is a lot of effort! trust me I know my OH is from Canada, that was a long distance relationship I tell you.

With the likes of skype and video phones and instant messaging, it does make things easier to manage but ultimately the end goal will involve one or both of you moving to be closer together so I go back to my Q, is it worth the time and effort it takes to commit to this? and thats a question only you can answer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

crazyderk wrote: »
    90 minutes depending on where you are can be considered long distance lads and ladies!
    with the M4 90 minutes will get you from Galway to Kildare!
    but then again depending on traffic sometimes 90 minutes will get you from Bray to Blanchardstown!

OP if you were both Mon to Fri and could see each other every weekend then it wouldn't be too bad, it'll be harder with her having the hours that Garda have, I think you ultimately have to ask yourself is it worth the time and effort it takes to commit to this? and it is a lot of effort! trust me I know my OH is from Canada, that was a long distance relationship I tell you.

With the likes of skype and video phones and instant messaging, it does make things easier to manage but ultimately the end goal will involve one or both of you moving to be closer together so I go back to my Q, is it worth the time and effort it takes to commit to this? and thats a question only you can answer

Durtbag! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

90 minutes? for gods sake man you could spit that, my girlfriend lives in georgia. thats long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

At least she has the uniform so the roleplay will be good!

"Sir I'm going to have to take down your particulars"
    "Oh no officer, please don't root around in my drawers"
    "Sir are you hiding some swollen goods down there?"

etc etc :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Been doing long distance with my OH for 2 years now (Dublin-Nenagh), not a bother !
    SKYPE makes daily conversations a little more personal, always better face to face & alternate weekends keeps it fresh.
    We both agree we wouldn't have it any other way...perfick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

You went to the South Pole eh?

Relationships do they work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

90 minutes FFS. Maybe when you're 12 that's long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I don't consider 90 mins long distance either. Long-distance means crossing borders or getting on trains with sleeper cars or airplanes. Kerry to Donegal might possibly qualify. Dublin to Portlaoise does not.

Btw, nothing beats the sex in a long-distance relationship. Not having access to the person 24/7 leads to anticipation, extra effort and red hot sex when you do finally get your hands on each other. And you tend not to bother with mundane relationship stuff like fighting over the remote control or getting pissed off when the toilet seat is left up/down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

You went to the South Pole eh?

6,000 miles is pretty much the west coast of America. My brother has been doing the long distance thing for 9 years now (crazy i know) with his gf in LA. The fact that she's a lecturer with 4 months holidays a year is the thing that makes it work.

No offence to the posters above but Nenagh Dublin and 90 mins is not long distance. You can't honestly believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

90 mins Fcuck off, im from donegal but going out with a girl from cork, at the moment im studying in dublin so its only 4 hours journey to see her, when summer comes 8 hours. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

6,000 miles is pretty much the west coast of America. My brother has been doing the long distance thing for 9 years now (crazy i know) with his gf in LA. The fact that she's a lecturer with 4 months holidays a year is the thing that makes it work.

No offence to the posters above but Nenagh Dublin and 90 mins is not long distance. You can't honestly believe that.

Exactly, mine was near Seattle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 derekmccabe4

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

unless the poster is 14 andhas no car... that makes things seem bigger than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've been long distance with my girlfriend for 2 years, we're fine. I'm in Dublin, she's in Birmingham. We Facebook all the time. We call each other every day other. It's fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mandate

did long distance relationship over 3,500 miles for a year, then she moved to Ireland for a year, then we both moved back to her country for a year. That was 10 years ago, happily married to her now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ffs op, mine is in the states. Move to France or something and post again when you're going to take this long distance malarky seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Going to Thailand doesnt count.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LaurzH27

I'm in cork my oh is in Galway. He's a Monday -fri I work every weekend. It's really hard!!!! Don't agree on the sex comment earlier either!!! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LaurzH27

I'm in cork my oh is in Galway. He's a Monday -fri I work every weekend. It's really hard!!!! Don't agree on the sex comment earlier either!!! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

kfallon wrote: »
    At least she has the uniform so the roleplay will be good!

"Sir I'm going to have to take down your particulars"
    "Oh no officer, please don't root around in my drawers"
    "Sir are you hiding some swollen goods down there?"

etc etc :P

Her: "Sir, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be taken down."
    You: "Knickers."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My long-distance relationship fell apart recently.... I could handle it but my ex was really struggling with the whole uncertain future etc (ie. me not being ready to commit to moving over to him).

Long distance is hard, but I think it can work if you plan it out right and you are honest from the start about your expectations and plan well to keep things going. It takes sacrifices.

Advertisement