Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sequels: The Good, The Bad, and The Fugly [** NO LISTING **]

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Could Evan Almighty be considered a sequel to Bruce Almighty? If yes then that's my vote. Pure horse **** and the worst film I have ever paid to see in a cinema.

Well considering Bruce Almighty is a piece of **** itself, I don't think it really belongs in this category ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Bruce Almighty was a masterpiece in comparison. That's how bad Evan Almighty is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭deeks

Lost Boys : The Tribe.

Need I say more??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"Shock Treatment", the sequel to "Rocky Horror Picture Show" is apparently so bad it's been erased from the public/critical consciousness.

I do have the soundtrack, mind.

414GB1D7J8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Transformers: Revenge of the fallen.

I have only ever once walked out the cinema before a film has finished, and it was during this atrocious pile of garbage.

Just read the title again, I suppose the original was not a "great" film, but I certainly found it quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Blair Witch 2 deserves a mention. The makers brought a new form of horror to the masses, way ahead of it's time as we see now, and then they decide to cobble together a completely generic cash-in sequel and kill the series dead. They must be looking at Paranormal Activity 58 and thinking what could have been...

I am one of the few who liked sequel much better the boring and dull first one,
    I found this movie really underrated, I enjoy it more then first one!,

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

ONCE WERE WARRIORS sequel
    WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN HEARTED? has got to be the worst, most ill judged sequel ever.

What were THEY thinking?!?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mission Impossible 2.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know if they actually count as sequels or whether they're just follow ups on the same general idea, but the Butterfly Effect 2 and 3 are two of the worst films I have ever seen, especially considering that the Butterfly Effect is one of my favourite "original" films. Has such a wow factor each time I watch it.

On the flip side of the coin, while I'm not a fan of sequels in any way shape or form, particularly sequels of films that I would rank amongst my favourites, Toy Story 3 is surely one of the greatest sequels ever made. Truely fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As a flip side to the crappy sequels thread, what sequels do people actually like? for me:

The Empire Strikes back
    - George Lucas considers it the worst Star Wars movie, that should be enough indication to suggest its the best one, being that it has themes, a plot, well developed characters and lack of teddy bears comedy.

Toy Story 2 and 3- Pixar did the impossible and made not only a sequel but a threequel that surpassed the original classic.

The Bourne Supremacy+ Ultimatum- same here, Identity is great, the sequels even better, even if Supremacy does just feel like a bridge, the way
    the end of Supremacy is actually the middle of Ultimatum
    was very cleverly done.

Aliens- completely different in tone to the Ridley Scott classic, its a gung ho, armed to the teeth, tense rollercoaster ride of a movie. From when the aliens start dropping into the control room unil the end credits roll is one extended action sequence and one of the best climaxes of any action film ever. movies this well paced are rare beasts and Cameron pulled it off brilliantly.

Mad Max 2-I think the first one sucks, there I said it, the 2nd has some of the best car chase action ever put on film, especially the climactic chase with the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'd agree on Toy Story 2 at least equaling its predecessor. Toy Story 3 I'd rate (only slightly) below the first two but still quite good.

I enjoyed Gremlins II as well, maybe not quite as good as the original but not a let down either.

Though perhaps overrated, The Dark Knight is another contender; I'd rate the film as being at least as good as Batman Begins (itself probably a tad underrated). In fact it even seems to have overshadowed its predecessor in terms of publicity hype. Personally though I prefer the atmosphere of the 1989 film. Likewise I found its first sequel, Batman Returns, to be decent enough, well compared to what followed anyway.

Staying on the superhero theme Superman II isn't that bad either.

The Harry Potter series might also have potential here but then again they're success is really routed in the books so probably doesn't count.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm going to merge these to create a sequel megathread - it's a slippery slope when we start doubling up on topics like these!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Superman II is better than the original I think, even the non-donner cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

bullvine wrote: »
    Superman II is better than the original I think, even the non-donner cut.

i agree. best...sequel...ever... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Superman II is a mess and not a patch on the original IMO. Maybe had Donner been allowed to finish it...

And, krudler, George Lucas does NOT consider TESB the worst Star Wars film. That's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Arse, superman II is a really enjoyable movie, how is it a mess, so what its has some silly bits in it with supes havin some unusuall powers but the romance is superb and the whole coming back after getting his ass kicked is brilliant..

The Wrath Of Khan is the best sequel ever made in the way that its so much better than the first film and easily one of the greatest sci fi films ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I have 2 that are 2nd sequels which followed poor first sequels...

Indiana Jones and the last crusade. I think this is my favourite of the Indy movies. Less said about the last one, the better!

Mission Impossible 3. One of the best action movies of the last few years IMO. The recent 4th installment is decent but #3 tops it comfortably.

Advertisement