Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

201 Class Locomotives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    How often do they change the loco or even give them a brake on the Mark 4 sets?

Usually they are changed after 4 links and it tends to be done at Dublin where more 201's are handy and proper servicing and fueling is at hand. Cork services are changed about every third link either at Cork where there is refueling on hand or at Heuston for a fuller check up. The HEP is usually turned off at either terminus to save on fuel and engine wear, the power being supplied via power points on platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DannyGrey

How many 201s are keep spare at Cork

Not too sure; around two, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Not too sure; around two, I'd guess.
    I'v only always seen one around Cork. Is the HEP used on the mk4s, I thought thatwas only used on the Enterprise trains, I'v never seen the mk4 dvt been connected to an outside power source unless of course it's when it's been put in the service bay.

roundymac wrote: »
    I'v only always seen one around Cork. Is the HEP used on the mk4s, I thought thatwas only used on the Enterprise trains, I'v never seen the mk4 dvt been connected to an outside power source unless of course it's when it's been put in the service bay.

Mark 4's have their own power on board to HEP isn't required. There are plug points at Heuston and Connolly for servicing the train so I guess they can be used when 22's are turned off and in need of servicing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Wouldn't be a problem if the bloody EGVs were in service. God knows how much time and money has been spent to date, not to mention fuel moving them from Inchicore to Limerick Junction to be turned, up to York Road, back, round the houses but with little sign of commitment to full use in service (unless something's happened in the last couple of weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

dowlingm wrote: »
    Wouldn't be a problem if the bloody EGVs were in service. God knows how much time and money has been spent to date, not to mention fuel moving them from Inchicore to Limerick Junction to be turned, up to York Road, back, round the houses but with little sign of commitment to full use in service (unless something's happened in the last couple of weeks)

An 071 just hauled two of them north bound through Clongriffin at 9:10 today. I am almost sure that places all 3 of them up in York Road so maybe things are finally moving. What is it now, around 2 years in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Is there not a turntable at Connelly that they could be turned on or am I missing something?

roundymac wrote: »
    Is there not a turntable at Connelly that they could be turned on or am I missing something?

There are two at Connolly and neither are long enough to take a Mk3. They could have turned them at Botanic on the triangle at Belfast. Enterprise sets get turned there the odd time with security alerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

There are two at Connolly and neither are long enough to take a Mk3. They could have turned them at Botanic on the triangle at Belfast. Enterprise sets get turned there the odd time with security alerts.

Why do the genny vans need to be turned???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Today,loco 8208 worked the Ballina-Northwall liner arriving into Claremorris just before 9am this morning. 222 worked the Northwall-Ballina liner,departing Claremorris after the arrival of the 1315 ICR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Why do the genny vans need to be turned???
    I dunno, but for some reason they do...
    http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2011/October-2011/19293427_bxWr8w/1544766371_fjMg8wC#!i=1544766371&k=fjMg8wC&lb=1&s=A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Only reason I can think is that for staff to access it from onboard the train. Can only be done on one side as far as I know as thats what happend on the Mark 3's.

The 201's will have great releif and the services should see major improvments on OTP as the loco will be more reliable and not have constent faults daily.

Only reason I can think is that for staff to access it from onboard the train. Can only be done on one side as far as I know as thats what happend on the Mark 3's.

I would have though that the couplers and hose connections may have something to do with it. I'd imagine that the EGVs have the DD auto coupler adapter fitted to one end like the 201s do to couple to DD stock. And I'm guessing that the 201s will use a buckeye coupler to the EGV for pushpull operation. Or do they use the auto coupler adapter throughout the train even with the EGV in the sets???

There was a close up shot posted online of an EGV in testing with the spare DD set at Connolly a while back but there was no clear shot of the coupling setup, just the improvised electrical and brake hose connections that looked very messy.

Looking at photos on another site of 082 hauling the EGVs today, both sides of the vans still have their gangways removed and plated over, so there is no in train access to the vans. It was speculated that the gangways would be refitted to the DD coupled side as was a cause for the in service delay but this seems to have not happened or was just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Looking at photos on another site of 082 hauling the EGVs today, both sides of the vans still have their gangways removed and plated over, so there is no in train access to the vans. It was speculated that the gangways would be refitted to the DD coupled side as was a cause for the in service delay but this seems to have not happened or was just not true.
    Have you got a link to any pics of 082 today?Great to see some progress with the vans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Rud wrote: »
    Have you got a link to any pics of 082 today?Great to see some progress with the vans

Few pics of it at Drogheda over here
    http://irishrailwaymodelling.com/showthread.php/537-082-on-the-way-to-York-Road

230 worked the Northwall-Ballina IWT liner today,departing Claremorris at 1355.

222 worked the Northwall-Ballina liner yesterday,stabled in Ballina over the weekend.No DFDS liner ran yesterday.

230 worked the Northwall-Ballina IWT liner today.I watched it shunting in Ballina yard earlier.

• Advertisement

Just wondering. When the pp 201s got the new IC livery, does anyone know in what order they were repainted and the dates.

I know 228 was first and went straight onto Enterprise services from the paint shop.

I believe 229 was the second and 220 was one of the last.

Also when 206 and 207 were delivered were they in IE orange or in the Enterprise livery, I know 208/9 were in NIR blue and looked class.

It's mainly just for modeling purposes that I'm asking.

Just wondering. When the pp 201s got the new IC livery, does anyone know in what order they were repainted and the dates.

I know 228 was first and went straight onto Enterprise services from the paint shop.

I believe 229 was the second and 220 was one of the last.

Also when 206 and 207 were delivered were they in IE orange or in the Enterprise livery, I know 208/9 were in NIR blue and looked class.

It's mainly just for modeling purposes that I'm asking.
    I know 215 was one of the first ones alright. 228 was certainly the first. 226 was the very last.

206 and 207 were in standard IE orange upon delivery. There's a handful of photos of 206 knocking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

8208 'River Lagan' on the UP Enterprise passing through Howth Junction, earlier today. DVT 9003.

P1160042-1-1.jpg

P1160040-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I wonder was that one of the Wexford Opera Specials above. Rare to see the MKIII's at Connolly.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I wonder was that one of the Wexford Opera Specials above. Rare to see the MKIII's at Connolly.

Mk3 PP sets, bread and butter in the mid 90s till the 29s came along in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mk3 PP sets, bread and butter in the mid 90s till the 29s came along in 2003.

Ah right,i always tend to picture only the 121's with the MKIII's on suburban duties,never travelled behind the 201's hauling a P/P set.

There is some gold in that photo set Karsini. 205 on the taras at Drogheda, ex works 228 on the Enterprise in the new IC livery. And the rare shots of 206 and 7 in IE orange. Can't believe it was 2004 when they first started painting the 201 is IC colours, feels like only a few years to me.

Plus in this thread with the links we have 208 in it's three liveries.

There is some gold in that photo set Karsini. 205 on the taras at Drogheda, ex works 228 on the Enterprise in the new IC livery. And the rare shots of 206 and 7 in IE orange. Can't believe it was 2004 when they first started painting the 201 is IC colours, feels like only a few years to me.

Plus in this thread with the links we have 208 in it's three liveries.

I was thinking to myself "that can't be right" but had a look through some of my own photos. Sure enough, found one of 228 with 11-04 under the cab.

There's another one on that site of 228 on the Gatwicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

234 and 4008 will form the 15.30 cork - heuston.And I know this was asked but I couldnt see another 201 outside the engine shed.

Advertisement