Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which and Why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

sdunne wrote: »
    Need new car asap , other one has died. Do quite bit of mileage as I commute every day but is it worth paying extra for a diesel. Options are:

02 Megane 1.9 dsl 75000 miles @ 2.5k
    07 Ford Focus 1.6dsl 79000 miles @ 6k (NCTd)
    07 Peugeot 407 dsl 1.6 60,000 miles @ 7k (NCTd)
    08 Ford Focus 1.6dsl 81,000 miles @ 7.5k (NCTd and taxed till Jul, lower tax band)
    OR

09 Renault Megane 1.4 PETROL, 21,000 KM - 8.5k (max budget)

Is the petrol better cos has low mileage or will the fact that diesel get more mpg and take more mileage be a better choice. Likely to keep until dead.....

It's probably best if you start a new thread man, more people will see it and be able to give opinions on your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

In fairness the Toyota is a better car than a 1.4 Golf though!

But yeah, Corollas are up there with Golfs as one of the most overrated by the general public:)! Thanks to my vote the Corolla is no longer winning either!

Out of curiosity, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Golf .....if you earn too much money or Daddy is buying it, if you've got a complex due to a fat arse and no matter how expensive your clothes are, the opposite sex never really pays you too much attention or lastly if you're just a badge snob. Not a great car though.

Astra ..... if you cant afford the Golf. Not a great car either.

Corolla ....If you're a farmers daughter from the west of Ireland up in Maynooth training to be a teacher, if you dont give a single toss about cars or lastly if you dont give an even bigger single toss about image. Awful in every way a car should be except that they never ever break.

Focus. Does everything it should do without fuss, The one I'd be spending my money on ;)

The wife has one of the first Focus II's in 1.4 petrol (Jan '05). Currently has 221,000 kms on it and its been 110% reliable. Yes the 1.4 isn't the quickest but she sees about 650kms out of a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

m0227021 wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out the golf, especially the diesel ones, here are two good ones:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2826027
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2735990

the OP has the sense to look for a petrol car, please dont ruin that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Out of curiosity, why?

Well the 1.4 has 97 bhp rather than 75 bhp like the 1.4 Golf has for starters. For a 1.4 the performance is very good. It's not going to set the world alight obviously but it's not dangerously slow like a 1.4 Golf or Focus is. I generally dislike Toyotas, but they do occasionally make good cars, and the 02-07 Corolla was one of them. And I just don't get what the big deal about a Golf is apart from the silicone damped grab handles and slightly nicer interior plastics to be honest:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Chuck was taken

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's your second time linking that poverty spec silver golf.

I hate when people say 'cheapest 05 Golf' obviously its dirt cheap, its poverty spec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

No love for the Seat Leon?

Looks prettier than a Golf in my opinion....

An example:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2877335

Full?id=9386941

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

barura wrote: »
    No love for the Seat Leon?

Looks prettier than a Golf in my opinion....

I was never gone on the looks of them to be honest. Plus that one is a poverty spec 1.4 with nothing going for it bar the low enough mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

166man wrote: »
    OP what about a Alfa 147, with the 1.6ts engine?I know you say 1.4 max but still not much difference in tax, although if it's for insurance reasons then it's understandable. Plenty around to choose from and nice ones go for the same money as a boggo spec Focus with a crap engine.

ye i can only get 1.4 max for insurance reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

I was never gone on the looks of them to be honest. Plus that one is a poverty spec 1.4 with nothing going for it bar the low enough mileage.
    All the rest are Tay Day EYEs so I figured I'd post a petrol. There's a GTi as well that looks the dogs bollox (IMO) too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Well the 1.4 has 97 bhp rather than 75 bhp like the 1.4 Golf has for starters. For a 1.4 the performance is very good. It's not going to set the world alight obviously but it's not dangerously slow like a 1.4 Golf or Focus is. I generally dislike Toyotas, but they do occasionally make good cars, and the 02-07 Corolla was one of them. And I just don't get what the big deal about a Golf is apart from the silicone damped grab handles and slightly nicer interior plastics to be honest:).

Well i know of a good few 1.4 Corollas that burn oil to beat the band, and tbh i've driven loads of Corollas and Golfs and the power dfference isn't worth talking about tbh. Both of them are holding their value fairly well so i can't see why the Golf is such a bad choice.

Advertisement