Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which and Why?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a second hand car, hatchback, 04-06, 1.4 litre (max) petrol. I have narrowed it down to 4 options: Vw Golf, Opel Astra, Toyota Corolla or Ford Focus.

I'm looking for a car which is reliable for its age and hopefully wont give me trouble for a few years. Will be covering around 10-12000 miles a year.

Please post your preference and reasons why. Also if you know of any negative aspects to the options given please specify.

Appreciate the help.:)

Which would you choose? 44 votes

Volkswagen Golf
    0% 0 votes
    Opel Astra
    22% 10 votes
    Toyota Corolla
    15% 7 votes
    Ford Focus
    61% 27 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Golf .....if you earn too much money or Daddy is buying it, if you've got a complex due to a fat arse and no matter how expensive your clothes are, the opposite sex never really pays you too much attention or lastly if you're just a badge snob. Not a great car though.

Astra ..... if you cant afford the Golf. Not a great car either.

Corolla ....If you're a farmers daughter from the west of Ireland up in Maynooth training to be a teacher, if you dont give a single toss about cars or lastly if you dont give an even bigger single toss about image. Awful in every way a car should be except that they never ever break.

Focus. Does everything it should do without fuss, The one I'd be spending my money on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hmmm. The focus is now the default car for people who don't care about cars. apart from tidy handling and being cheap, I can't think of much it does well. At least the Corolla will be nippy as well as reliable.

The Focus 1.4 is painful to drive. and I dislike the interior.

That said, any of the above choices don't do it for me, none is demonstrably better than the other. All will do whatever job it is reasonably well, will be reasonably equipped, reasonably safe and cost roughly the same

It'll all come down to personal preference

May as well throw Mazda3 and KIA cee'd into the mix on the basis that they're roughly as good/bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Focus good all rounder.proven track record,no problems,parts are cheap and the car isn't over budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Where is the none of these option..??
    :D @ Ed nail
    > head

I'd opt for an A3 1.8T (posh golf :rolleyes:). But that's just me . Missus has one and it's a great little jammer..

Anyroad here's a 1.6 example. Forget the wheezy 1.4, life is too short !!

Full-9174419.jpeg

Clicky....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

homer90 wrote: »
    Anyroad here's a 1.6 example.

A 6 year old (posh) Golf for over 8 grand? :eek:

Are you Saab Ed's Type A? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

unkel wrote: »
    A 6 year old (posh) Golf for over 8 grand? :eek:

Are you Saab Ed's Type A? :p

Yep, the price is nuts... But liked the colour:D ! And yes within the confines of this thread I'm a type A :D

After this post I'm back to my old school V8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'd ditch the Astra and Golf from that list and add the Mazda 3 and Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I'd ditch the Astra and Golf from that list and add the Mazda 3 and Civic.

+1 for the Mazda and Civic options. How is an Astra there and those 2 not? :confused:

Other than that it'd be between focus and corrolla.

I'd probably go for the focus myself but if it was someone else like friend or family member I'd probably tell them to go for the corrolla for fear if something went wrong they'd say why didnt I tell them to go with the corrolla, sure they're Toyota's the best built cars in the world!!!

That said who really wants to own a Toyota reliability or not.
    Wheres the puke smiley when ya need it. :D

Astra has 1 vote now.. come on admit it who voted for it?! lol

Just thought of one more that you could add to your list which are very reliable - Nissan Almera. Probably cheaper than some of the ones you've mentioned as well I'd imagine. That said it is an Almera though unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭pedigree

Hi,
    I hear pre 06 Honda Civics’ are giving trouble with high mileage.
    Pedigree

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

thanks for the input. i'm a bit confused now as i was favouring the golf at first, but the focus seems to be a popular choice so far. any more info regarding the mazda would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

If you compare the Mazda with the corolla (not a very high benchmark given the corollas strengths are under the skin) the Mazda has a more tinny feel on the likes of the doors and boot, the interior is a bit black Ndebele dull, even compared to the Toyota. It's also a bit noisier at lower speeds, but quietness up nicely t motorway speed, it's nowhere near as nippy as the corolla.
    Parts are quite pricey in comparison too, but you'll not be likely to need many.
    Visibility isn't as good, but it is a longer car with a better shaped boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 m0227021

I wouldn't rule out the golf, especially the diesel ones, here are two good ones:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2826027
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2735990

m0227021 wrote: »
    I wouldn't rule out the golf, especially the diesel ones, here are two good ones:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2826027
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2735990

That's your second time linking that poverty spec silver golf.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I know.

Is it yours perhaps?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is it yours perhaps?
    Nope, looking to buy it but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Nope, looking to buy it but not sure.

So, you post it in this thread and then also the bangeromics thread?Your posts come across as you may be trying to advertise the car. Be weary of this.

So, you post it in this thread and then also the bangeromics thread?Your posts come across as you may be trying to advertise the car. Be weary of this.
    I removed my comment in the other thread and posted on this looking for views rather than open another thread. Anyways forget it.

View2-9166283.jpeg

I can hear the fly wheel rattling from here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

what about a civic, best interior of all hatchbacks, great performance, very fuel efficient, 40mg+, look pretty class

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2870695

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The red one is also a poverty spec car.

I must say a lot of my fellow Irish people have a very "weird" interpretation of what is a good car is:)!

Oh God the Toyota is winning!

Is there nobody here who works in the private sector ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Oh God the Toyota is winning!

Is there nobody here who works in the private sector ? :pac:

In fairness the Toyota is a better car than a 1.4 Golf though!

But yeah, Corollas are up there with Golfs as one of the most overrated by the general public:)! Thanks to my vote the Corolla is no longer winning either!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

used to have a golf, very comfy no complaints altho was expensive for what it was.

Ford gets my vote now, think they are good to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 olivebranch

I've got a 2003 focus and I've clocked up 166000 miles over the years and its never let me down:) I'm getting rid of it now cos its not big enough anymore and I'll miss it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The focus is comfortable until you sit in something proper comfortable. 1.6 Focus would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

To some it will appear to be shocking that the Corolla is nearly scoring as high as the Focus. There's thousands of car enthusiasts right here on motors every day, but I suppose there are many more "car as a whitegood" consumers on here as well

The interesting thing to me is that we have tolerated each other so well over the years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

OP what about a Alfa 147, with the 1.6ts engine?I know you say 1.4 max but still not much difference in tax, although if it's for insurance reasons then it's understandable. Plenty around to choose from and nice ones go for the same money as a boggo spec Focus with a crap engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I don't like the Focus any more than the Corolla, the Golf would be my choice as I was born and raised around Vw's.

At the same time, value for money you'll get a year or two newer Focus for the same money that a Golf or Corolla will make of the same year.

Wouldn't consider the Astra, very dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sdunne

Need new car asap , other one has died. Do quite bit of mileage as I commute every day but is it worth paying extra for a diesel. Options are:

02 Megane 1.9 dsl 75000 miles @ 2.5k
    07 Ford Focus 1.6dsl 79000 miles @ 6k (NCTd)
    07 Peugeot 407 dsl 1.6 60,000 miles @ 7k (NCTd)
    08 Ford Focus 1.6dsl 81,000 miles @ 7.5k (NCTd and taxed till Jul, lower tax band)
    OR

09 Renault Megane 1.4 PETROL, 21,000 KM - 8.5k (max budget)

Is the petrol better cos has low mileage or will the fact that diesel get more mpg and take more mileage be a better choice. Likely to keep until dead.....
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Advertisement